Love or Lies

The Intern

“You’re home early.”

Sehun slammed the door close behind him and threw his bag down on the ground along with his coat.

“What’s wrong?”

He didn’t feel like talking to anyone right now, but before he could reach his room, Jongin grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

“Hey! What happened?”

“I’m done with him.” was all he answered while trying to pull himself out of Jongin’s grip, but the other was way stronger than he was.

“Who? Baekhyun? What did he do to you?”

Sehun was about to shout at Jongin that it was none of his business, but then he noticed someone else coming up to them. “Sehun… come and sit down. Take your time calm down first okay?” Sehun hadn’t even noticed Kyungsoo being there in the room when he entered, but his presence immediately calmed him down.

He remembered the first night he met Kyungsoo about two years ago. He knew Jongin was bringing his new boyfriend home that day but he really wasn’t looking forward to meeting him after getting a bad grade at school for the most important exam of the year. That night he came home the same way as he did today, angry and not in the mood to talk. So after a quick introduction to the boy, without even looking at him, he left for his room. He put on some music and laid down on his bed, still repeating the curse words that had been in his head ever since he left school. But not even a minute later the door had slowly opened...

“Sehun?”

Sehun looked over to the door and saw a rather small boy with black hair and big eyes peek his head around the corner. He didn’t take a good look at him earlier so he assumed this was Kyungsoo, not knowing who else would be in his apartment besides Jongin.

“Can I come in?”

Sehun looked back at the ceiling ignoring the newcomer but he heard footsteps coming closer and when, out of curiosity, he looked next to him again, he saw Kyungsoo sitting down on the floor next to his bed, just looking at him.

“What?” he asked with more anger in his voice than he intended to.

“Ohh.. uhm.. I was just wondering,” Kyungsoo was nervously rubbing his hand together “Did I do anything wrong?”

“No. I don’t even know you.” somehow the other’s presence had calmed him down a bit, but his voice was still more harsh that he would’ve liked to.

“Ooh okay. I was just asking because… you know... You looked kinda angry back there. And I can’t really blame you, you might think I’m here to take Jongin away from you but it’s really not like that. I just-”

“It’s not-”

“-wanna let you know that it’s absolutely not my intention to come on in between you two because I know you have been roommates and best friend for nearly two years now and-”

“I don’t think-”

“-I’m really not that kind of guy who would drag him away from you because I know it’s important to spend time with friends too and maybe if we get the chance to know each other maybe we could even be friends and-”

“I didn’t mean to be-”

“- I don’t know whether you have someone but maybe we could even go on double dates or if not you’re always welcome to hang out with the two of us or if you want to just have a fun night with Jongin in also fine with that because I really want him to keep-”

“Kyungsoo!”

Finally the other stopped rambling and looked at Sehun, who let out a heavy sigh before he started talking. “It’s not you. I just had a bad day at school and I'm sorry I took it out on you.” he sat up and sat on the edge of his bed, reaching out his hand towards Kyungsoo. “I'm Sehun.”

Kyungsoo shook his hand with a small smile “Kyungsoo, nice to meet you.”

After that Kyungsoo actually asked about what happened at school and it surprised Sehun how easy it was to talk to him. They hadn't even realized they had been talking for almost 20 minutes until Jongin came barging in the room, asking what the hell the two of them were doing.

Ever since that evening Kyungsoo had been there for him whenever something was wrong, and he even told him straight up he’d wish he had someone like him, to which Kyungsoo always just laughed in reaction, telling Sehun he would find someone one day.

And that’s what Sehun thought, that he had found someone now to share his concerns with, someone to go to whenever he needed someone to listen but of course Sehun shouldn’t have expected everything to be this good…

So as always he followed Kyungsoo to the living room and sat down with him, Jongin joining them only a few seconds later.

“So what’s going on?”

“You guys were right…”

 

“Baekhyun can you please not destroy my stuff and just tell me what’s going on?” Jongdae kept chasing Baekhyun while the other was hastily searching through his kitchen cabinets, already dropping two glasses and not caring about it.

“Where the do you keep your alcohol?”

“Somewhere where you can’t find it for this exact reason.” Jongdae grabbed Baekhyun by his wrist and dragged him out of the kitchen and towards the living room. “Now sit down and tell me why you’re bothering me on my day off.”

Baekhyun sat down on the couch and just when he wanted to start talking someone came down the stairs in nothing more than his sweatpants.

“Why am I not surprised you’re here...” Baekhyun said while he watched Minseok sit down next to Jongdae.

“I’m getting some things done in my house so Jongdae offered to let me stay over this week.”

“Oh yeah, I’m sure that is the only reason you’re here. Anyways Sehun’s angry at me.”

“What did you do now, flirt with someone else in front of his eyes?” Jongdae laughed.

“I told you I’m done with that you idiot, I just bought him a present today and he gave it back to me and suddenly got angry.”

“Well he probably has his reasons.” Minseok said.

“He does, and I think you,” Baekhyun pointed at Jongdae “have something to do with it. I know you two talked about Taeyeon today and I want you to tell me exactly what you told him.”

“Hey I’m very innocent.” Jongdae said in his whiney voice that he used way too often with Baekhyun whenever he disliked something “I just told him why you two broke up, or whatever happened that day, I told him she was crazy and it was just a stupid situation.”

“You shouldn't have said anything!”

“How could I haven't? The kid was curious and it was all over the papers anyways, he already knew about her!”

“You could’ve told him to ask me about it!”

“Well you were gone and you could’ve told him like weeks ago but you didn’t and that’s your own fault! Of course he’s curious about it considering your reputation.”

“Jongdae you’re ing stupid.”

“Baekhyun you’re a-”

“Hey!” Minseok suddenly shouted to shut up the two friends “Let’s stop insulting and blaming each other and talk about why you came here in the first place. It’s very obvious why Sehun is angry at you.”

“Well Mister My house is getting renovated so just so I have an excuse to sleep here, tell me.”

“Sehun thinks he’s using you.”

Baekhyun started laughing “Why would he think that?”

“Well you said you bought him a gift today and he didn’t want it, and he suddenly got angry. It’s not that hard Baekhyun, he doesn't want your gifts.”

“Well what does he want then?”

“You! He wants you dammit.”

“Do you mean we need to put Baekhyun in a big box, wrap it and put it in front of his doorstep?” Jongdae said.

“Could we do that?” Baekhyun added.

Minseok switched looks between the two, waiting for them to burst out laughing but it didn’t happen, the two were dead serious  “I don’t like agreeing with you Baekhyun, but Jongdae you are really an idiot.” Baekhyun started laughing but soon stopped when Minseok continued “And you're and even bigger one Baekhyun. He wants your love! He doesn't want gifts, or money. This kid seriously likes you and he probably thinks you’re just using him like you have done with all the others.”

“That kinda makes sense…” Baekhyun silently said to himself.

“Baekhyun you need to show him you like him, or love him, whatever you do. Not with gifts, or at least not only with gifts.”

“But how do I do that?” Baekhyun had never been in love before. This was his first time, he never intended to, but it happened. In the beginning, he did want Sehun just like he had wanted the others, but it changed overtime. He found out when he realised he couldn’t hurt the younger, he didn’t wanna make him feel hurt in any way and he wanted to be close to him.

“Well, have you ever told Sehun what you feel for him?” Jongdae asked.

“Not really…” he answer silently.

“Well there you go.”

“So should I do that? Go to his house and explain myself right now?” That thought was kinda scary. He had never seen Sehun mad before and to think it was all because of him was horrible. The fact that Sehun thought he was being used by him was almost nauseating.

“Maybe not right now, but soon.” Jongdae said.

“And maybe do something special for him, maybe something romantic?” Minseok added.

Baekhyun started thinking. What could he do to make it special? He wasn’t really good at romance, mainly because he never had felt the need to do anything romantic with someone before Sehun. Take him out to dinner? No that was too basic, they've done that plenty of times already and he probably wouldn’t be able to get Sehun out of his house anyways. Maybe show up with some flowers? Maybe not, Baekhyun hated flowers, and maybe Sehun did too, he didn’t know. All kinds of bad ideas came up when Jongdae and Minseok tried to help him think of something and after almost an hour he went home empty handed. How could he let Sehun know he wanted him more than anything? How could he show him that he was done with fooling around and that this was serious this time? And that’s when a crazy idea popped up in his head…

 

“So what are you gonna do now?”

Jongin and Sehun were cleaning the dishes after Kyungsoo went home after dinner. Sehun had hoped that now the other had gone that they would start talking about something else, but of course Jongin was still curious about what to do now.  

“I don’t know… I have to work tomorrow but maybe I’ll call in sick.” Sehun didn’t know if he was ready to face his boss. He expected him to be mad for walking out on him like that earlier today.

“He’ll know it’s a lie. Maybe it’s better to go and talk it out.”

“What is there to talk about? It’s clear what he wants from me and I was stupid enough to give it to him already.”

“You don’t know that Sehun.” Jongin laid down his dishcloth and put his hand on Sehun’s shoulder “Like Kyungsoo said, maybe that’s not his intention.”

“Yeah sure…” he said with a sarcastic laugh “I was just stupid. Accepting all his gifts, thinking he actually cared about me, and not only for my body. He got what he wanted Jongin, my internship is done in three weeks and he’ll throw me out and never think about me again.”

“The only way to find out if you’re right is to talk to him.”

“He’ll lie to my face, he’s probably done it maybe times before.” Sehun walked away out of frustration and sat down in the couch, turning the TV on and Jongin decided to leave the other alone and just silently continued his work.

Sehun just skipped through some channels, not really paying attention to what was on, until he saw a very familiar face. It was one of these stupid showbiz programs where they talk about which celebrity had their sad breakup that day or other stupid rumors. Normally he didn’t watch stuff like this, but when a picture of Baekhyun was on screen he couldn’t help but to look for a moment.   

“Just over an hour ago Byun Baekhyun, CEO of Byun Enterprises announced a sudden press conference that he is about to give outside of his company building. We have send one of our camera crews to said location and we’re switching to the live broadcast right now to see what the famous CEO has to say.

The program switched from the female presenter to the live event. Apparently the TV had been loud enough for Jongin to hear before he was standing right behind Sehun now, looking at the screen with just as much fascination as Sehun.

“Thank you all for coming ladies and gentlemen.”

Baekhyun was standing there on a small podium, dozens or camera crews and photographers in front of him. Sehun had no idea what his boss was about to say, but it had to be something very important if they’d gone this far to even set this whole thing up, including the whole backdrop with the company logo on it.

“You are all probably wondering what I have to say at this very moment and trust me I will not disappoint any of you. The past few weeks my life has changed, in a good way, and there is only one reason for it. Someone very special came into my life, making me feel something I never have felt before, for anyone.”

Sehun didn’t miss the bright smile on Baekhyun’s face, he had seen that smile before. It was the one he had everytime it had been just the two of them together.  

“I have called you all here today to announce I have finally found the right person, I can’t wait to see the headlines tomorrow, saying the infamous Byun Baekhyun has finally fallen in love. And no one will probably believe it, and you don’t have to, because all that matters is that one person on this planet knows it’s true.”

Sehun couldn’t keep his eyes of the screen as his heart was about to burst out of his chest, squeezing the remote so tightly in his hand that it became fiery red.   

“Sehun, if you’re watching, I love you.”

 

a/n I just wanna thank you all for all the nice messages and comments from last time <3 

​​​​​​Please give an upvote if you're enjoying this fic and I'll try to write next chapter as soon as possible!