let's run away to distant shores (2)

settled
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

IV.2

If there’s one thing that Seulgi takes pride in, it would be drawing. It was something she loved and something she excels in. But life gets in the way at times and it makes us drop the things that make us happy for things that are more practical.

To Seulgi’s parents’ the more realistic and practical options were either taking up medicine or a major that would put her in the corporate world, like taking up law. So, the moment she had to choose what major to take in college, there was no time for being conflicted. Because no matter how much she wanted to pursue something she’s passionate about reality is much harder to take.

It’s not like her parents were wrong, they’re just being realistic. At least Seulgi isn’t tricked by sugar-coated words. As for her pencils and brushes, she needed to hide it away for the moment. Just like her dreams, she needed to pretend that it didn’t exist for the meantime.

 

------

 

The dusty black box of art supplies was almost the most bizarre thing Seulgi had ever seen. The dust that had covered it proved how long it has been shoved down under her bed, unused and abandoned. She almost forgot that she even brought it with her when she moved.

Dust particles made her nose itch and it even made her sneeze as she wipes the dust from the top of the black box. Was she allergic to dust? She doesn’t even care at this point. The sight of the art supplies that once was used almost every day made her smile like a kid opening a gift on Christmas day.

 

As she places the box on top of her study table she scans the drawers of her table. When she reached the third one she saw the one thing she was looking for. She had stocked up on aesthetically pleasing notepads and post-its during that one time the stationary store had a sale. It was mainly an impulse buy because of the huge discount (a whopping 60%). And as all other purchases of the said kind, she had no intention of using it. If it wasn’t for this silly little thing she thought of after listening to the song on the car radio, the beige post-its would just collect dust inside her drawer.

The last thing she had to think of now is where to go. Certainly, at this hour, it would be impossible to find a place that could accommodate the trip she’s planning to do. She did a little research and there were actually places available for her “planned trip”. But if she ever does that she’ll have to live off left-overs from Mrs. Lee’s eatery for the rest of her college years. As much as she wanted to make Joohyun happy, her well-being was something she would want to consider too. Besides, if something bad happens to her she wouldn’t be Joohyun’s roommate anymore.

When the thought of Mrs. Lee’s eatery crosses her mind she immediately thinks of Donghae. She knows that he could help her in her current dilemma. She’s more than sure he’s willing to help. If Seulgi would just allow, he was very willing to be a wingman anytime.

 

She hurries to her bed where her phone was placed lazily to dial Donghae’s number immediately. Scrolling through the numerous numbers he had was quite burdensome. Why does he change his number so often? But why isn’t Seulgi deleting the old ones? At the moment, the question of whose fault was it didn’t need an immediate answer so Seulgi just focuses on remembering the name she used when she saved Donghae’s current number.

Finally, she spots a familiar name and she remembers even the tiniest detail of the origin of the contact name.

Calling Fishy oppa……….

“Oppa,” it was barely above a whisper as the wall separating her and Joohyun’s rooms were almost as thin as paper. Seulgi was glad that he picked up immediately. She really needed to sort this out fast.

“What is it this time,” though the words are quite offensive Seulgi knew it was rather playful. But if it wasn’t playful, it’s understandable, it’s late anyway.

“Thank God you’re still awake oppa,” Seulgi says, voice filled with relief.

“You know that it’s the weekend and damn wasted college kids are flocking at this hour,” he stops, Seulgi could only assume that it was to warn somebody who almost got vomit on the floor. She resists the urge to laugh as the way Donghae was speaking was quite funny, “anyway, I’m sorry for that, the place’s just starting to smell like a damn club.”

She felt like dropping the call. She could tell he was busy and she could really lay witness to the fact of how busy he could be as she was once––or twice– part of the reason why he had to stay up all night and be like a sort of big brother to watch out for wasted college kids. She really didn’t want to burden people all that much, so she‘s conflicted again.

“Hey, you still there?” he asks, his voice was filled with worry.

“Yep still here,” Seulgi answers. But she was really considering not relying on Donghae for this matter. He had better things to do.

“You need anything?” he finally asks. Seulgi could sense that there’s a tinge of worry in his voice. Maybe calling this late added to that fact.

Seulgi releases a sigh and remembers the words Donghae always tells her. That he’ll be there whenever she needed anything. At least she had that assurance that she wasn’t being a burden. But the matter at hand isn’t as immediate as an emergency anyway.

“Are you busy?” she asks.

“Nah, I’m pretty much free, got the part-timers dealing with the mess. I’m going home actually. What’s up?”

Seulgi felt relieved. If Donghae was busy she could she herself storming at Wendy and Sooyoung’s apartment, bugging Wendy to lend her money or some sort. Which is a bad idea since Wendy isn’t the best person to approach at this hour when she’s having her so-called beauty sleep, “Can you help me about something?” she finally asks.

“Yeah, sure. What is running through Kang Seulgi’s mind at this hour?” he had his laid-back voice and Seulgi felt that it was actually fine to tell him her current dilemma. Which she does, and she isn’t particularly surprised that Donghae was close to dying because of laughter. She had expected it but she needed to it up since she just asked a favor.

 

“Oppa!” Seulgi tries to make him stop laughing because half of their conversation is turning out to be as senseless as all the algebra equations she’s forced to memorize, “seriously now.”

Donghae was panting like he had run a fifty-kilometer marathon. He couldn’t even speak immediately and he’s continuously snorting but he calms down after a few seconds, maybe realizing that he didn’t want to die for the petty reason of laughing too much, “Okay, so the only problem is you need a place?”

Seulgi nods and hums in response. She could only hear that Donghae was stifling a laugh when the only sounds coming from the other line are puffs of air. Which isn’t pleasing to her ears but again, she needed to it up at least because she’s asking a favor, “Yes oppa, it’s just…its last minute and all others are expensive as hell! Do you know some places?”

She hears the man on the other line exhale, this time she knew he’s going to be a little serious on the talking and advising part, “You’re doing this for Joohyun right?” he asks, Seulgi was quite taken aback. She did tell Donghae about that part so he’s bound to inquire about it one way or another.

“Uh, yeah,” she answers. And she hears a hum of some sort in response. She didn’t know how to brand what that hum meant.

 

“Then you could just go to the garden,” he replies, “it doesn’t have to be out of town for the trip to be fun.”

 

Seulgi’s face contorts as she was trying to figure out why it sounded so familiar. She tries to remember where she heard the place, though her memory and she’ll never figure it out by herself, “the garden?” she asks confusedly.

“Yeah, the place by our house, remember?” he says calmly, though Seulgi could imagine him smacking her head if they were talking in person because then she realizes that Donghae brought her there not long ago.

“Oh,” the realization hits her like a truck so she’s not able to think of an immediate response yet. The place actually meant so much to the Lee’s that bringing someone outside the family is considered an honor. Seulgi forgetting it is not a surprise but she’s kind of disappointed in herself, how could she forget such a thing.

“But it’s like a resting place for your family,” she replies, finally she had fully processed that she’s been there not long ago. She remembers how beautiful the place was. It would be such a delight bringing Joohyun there. It was safe to say that it’s the most beautiful place in the jungle like city. But she knows that she could settle for a place other than that, “do you know any other places?”

She hears a giggle coming from the other line, “Oh c’mon Seul, it’s alright. You’re family ok, so is Joohyun. You’re free to use the place as much as you want.”

Seulgi opposes. Yes, it is free and it’s convenient but she really didn’t want to bother Donghae all that much because if she decides to take his suggestion it meant that somehow he would have some of their part-timers set the place up. It wasn’t necessary but he always goes to extremes when helping others. Although it was very thoughtful, she had to decline, it was too much of a bother for something not that important for him to be involved in.

But Donghae wouldn’t have it any other way and he finds the words that could make Seulgi agree or forced her to agree, “its fine really Seul, besides I finally get to be your wingman!” he exclaims, making weird cheering noises afterwards.

“What? Oppa, I jus–, it’s too much work for you and I know I couldn’t stop you from not doing what you want to do,” Seulgi says, causing Donghae to stop with his weird noises.

“EXACTLY!” he cries almost immediately, not giving Seulgi the time to react to whatever is happening, “you can’t stop me from doing what I want to do so I’ll be bringing over the keys on my way home, bye now.”

Seulgi’s mouth went agape and no words would come out of it even though her brain’s fixated on saying something. And she really couldn’t say anything especially now that he dropped the call and he’s on his way to their apartment already. Well, what the hell it was either Donghae helping her or bugging Wendy to lend her money. Maybe she’ll just part-time for free for a month as a thank you.

 

 

------

“Here ya’ go Seul,” Donghae throws some keys on to the table where Seulgi was waiting. She was at a convenience store near their apartment, the spot where Donghae told her to wait because as per Seulgi, she didn’t want to wake Joohyun up with his weird noises. It would also ruing the surprise.

“Oppa, I just wanted to ask if you know some places not give me something for free,” Seulgi says as Donghae was taking the seat across her with that sly grin.

“Shhhhhhhh, I told you it’s no problem. Just take it,” he says, taking Seulgi’s half consumed coffee from her hands, “I’ll take this coffee as payment if you don’t mind.”

Seulgi shakes her head profusely as if what he said is the worst thing she had ever heard, “it’s not that I don’t want it, it’s just you're going to have your part-timers set the place up and stuff,” she explains but Donghae remains unfazed and just continues on drinking (now) his coffee.

“Your point is?” he replies with a straight face on. Sometimes, it confuses Seulgi how this man is in his thirties and still goes on with his childish acts. It’s not annoying though, it’s just not needed for this kind of situation.

“I don’t want to bother you that much,” she utters, avoiding Donghae’s direction.

She hears Donghae click his tongue. There hasn’t been that many times since Seulgi heard him do that. The few times he did that was out of anger and one out of annoyance. She might have gotten on his nerves now, “Ay, Seulgi it’s really fine. You know what, let me ask you why you want to do this huh?”

The question made Seulgi immediately squirm in her seat, turning her head back at the man in front of him who’s just waiting for an answer. She was dead sure about the purpose of this but making her say it out loud, face to face to another human being somehow seemed so unsettling. She starts to stutter and she can’t form a coherent sentence, so she’s surprised when Donghae’s the one to do the talking, “It’s for Joohyun right?”

His answer wasn’t wrong since Seulgi told him that earlier. But something about his tone suggests that even though the answer was nothing out of the obvious, it gave the impression that he had cracked the mystery behind those words.

“Yeah,” Seulgi says, voice sounding like she was defeated in one of her favorite games. She feels like her cheeks are burning despite the cold winds and she knows too well that it’s the subject of Donghae’s teasing.

But he doesn’t tease Seulgi, rather he gives her a warm smile enough to make the red flush on her cheeks disappear. It was also enough to make her speak, “I just you know, she took care of me a lot and she’s been feeling sad the past few weeks because a stupid boy dumped her so I just wanted to cheer her up a bit,” she says, head hanging low as she couldn’t look at Donghae directly because she thinks it’s a little to cheesy, “and she has this silly little fear of the city. Like, she thinks that everyone’s out to get her and leaving the apartment would kill her, so I wanted to show her that it’s not always the case.”

She stops and glances at Donghae. He was listening attentively like a student in a review lecture before a midterm exam. This time though Seulgi didn’t turn away before saying what she wanted to say, “I just wanted to see her smile again.”

 

“Seul,” Donghae calls after Seulgi had answered his question in the most elaborate way she could even though she doesn’t even know the purpose of that, “what you’re doing here it’s great. You’re a good person,” he had his warmest smile on. Enough to melt away the constant doubts Seulgi had when she started doing all these things.

She smiles. His words were enough reassurance that she was doing something good. She was always overthinking the situation. It had always stopped her from helping Joohyun. Like she thinks that it was just her hitting on Joohyun or something. But something about Donghae’s words was enough to make her feel like she’s actually doing something good despite her impulse based plans.

“Thanks,” she mutters, almost like a whisper.

“So let me help you. Take the key. Show her that the city’s not bad and make her smile.”

In times like this, when Donghae shows her the most genuine smile he could muster, she really couldn’t make herself think that what she’s asking is too much, “Okay then.”

“Yes, I’m finally your wingman!” he almost shouts. And though Seulgi would tell him to quiet down at other times, she just lets him be for the meantime. She just lets the thirty-year-old bask in the moment of being a child. Besides, he was right and she’ll make sure to make the best of what is handed to her.

 

----

The plans were set. Seulgi was there checking her phone, seeing if Joohyun had noticed her notes and if she actually agrees to it. She hadn’t completely thought of the possibility of being rejected. But when it does happen she would let it go, she’ll try other ways. Joohyun’s been patient with her so she could at least do the same if her plans fail.

Which it doesn’t because Joohyun agrees and she couldn’t be happier. She couldn’t even wipe the smile on her face. But then again Seulgi and her plans aren’t exactly foolproof. They’re full of holes and they’ll never run out.

“What? You forgot to forget your keys? What kind of figure of speech are you trying to invent,” Seulgi calls Donghae at this early hour because he has a spare key. And she could sense that he isn’t particularly pissed but rather amused at how Seulgi could be so dumb at times.

“Yeah, I know I’m dumb and stupid. The one time I need to forget my keys I didn’t yada yada,” she says, mocking herself in the process would be a much more bearable experience than hearing Donghae try to make fun of her in between laughs.

“Okay, okay, with all the planning last night you still had to mess something up. You’re so adorably dumb at times,” he chortles. The hint of annoyance was getting on Seulgi’s nerve not because of the teasing because it’s not teasing when it’s facts, but because of his laughter. It’s quite loud and annoying over the phone.

“Oppa!”

“Okay, okay. What’s the plan now?”

She tells him that Joohyun was on her way to the restaurant now. Seulgi specifically warns him not to say anything stupid or else the plan might fall apart even more. She’s just glad that somehow Joohyun’s a sport and she’ll still do it despite the mishaps and troubles.

 

But even though Seulgi trusts Joohyun, she can’t help but feel a little worried about her. She isn’t answering her phone and Seulgi could not stay still with that fact. What if Joohyun had been in some trouble?

So she resorts to calling Donghae again for the second time. Which isn’t the best of ideas but what choice does she have, “What again Seul?”

“Is Joohyun there yet? She’s not answering my calls,” she says feeling so worried about the other girl.

“No, and maybe she’s not answering you because you’re too annoying. How many times did you call her? Like thirty? Chill Seul, it’s not like someone’s going to kidnap her in broad daylight. Besides, you said it so yourself, the city’s not that bad,” he explains. It made Seulgi clam down a little but still, she wanted to know if Joohyun was fine.

She gets her answer immediately when she hears Donghae talking to someone and she could feel that it was Joohyun’s voice. At least she’s safe and Donghae calling her dumb was now the least of her concerns.

There were a few other mishaps because Seulgi really isn’t good with planning and that’s pretty much obvious at times. But now she sees Joohyun smiling at her. She thinks that the place they were at was already beautiful, but seeing the other girl with a huge smile plastered on her face made it ten, a hundred, even a thousand times better. She felt like it was almost too good to be true.

------

The sunlight illuminated the beauty that was standing right in front of her. Seulgi never imagined she could be this close to a star. Joohyun was everything that was beautiful in this world, it was an exaggeration, but Seulgi wouldn’t put in any other way. She was the definition of beauty herself.

“It’s beautiful here Seul,” Joohyun utters, smiling like she had t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter