let's chase the life we once ignored

settled
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[italicized texts are events from the past]

II.

 

The moment Kang Seulgi noticed how introverted her roommate was she thought of maybe spending some more time with her.

She did say she came from Daegu right? That’s far.

So she assumed that maybe she just felt a little lonely, that maybe she just missed home a lot. That maybe she just needed someone to show her that there’s nothing to be afraid of.

Seulgi was ready to set aside their differences and she was set to talk to Joohyun. This time more intimate, so maybe she could make Joohyun feel more comfortable, that maybe she could make Joohyun less lonely. She thought Joohyun was a nice person after all.

All of her plans went down the hill the moment she saw Joohyun with a guy who was all too familiar for her not to recognize. Then all the signals in her head told her to warn Joohyun about him but then she saw that smile.

The smile Joohyun would have whenever she would get a high mark on an exam. That smile she had whenever she got a good deal on fabric softeners. That smile she’ll have during the times her mom would call. That smile when Seulgi made an effort to do the dishes. That smile that she had whenever she and Seulgi would joke around. That smile she had when she teases Seulgi when she tells all the embarrassing things Seulgi would say when she comes home drunk.

Seulgi knew it was the smile Joohyun had whenever she was legitimately happy. It was the smile that was brighter than any other jewel. The smile that would put the sun itself to shame. It was the smile that somehow made her heart beat faster. The smile that she wished to see every day.

When she saw Joohyun smiling like that with him she ditched all her plans that day. All her plans to make Joohyun feel less tensed, to make her see that she shouldn’t be scared to try out things. Because she had already assumed that finally, Joohyun found someone that’ll make her happy in this strange place.

Even though it wasn’t her, she was still glad that Joohyun found someone who could show her the things she wanted Joohyun to see. She was glad that Joohyun wasn’t lonely anymore.

­

 

----

Seulgi was tired of seeing her roommate sulking every single time she comes home. She knew it was hard for Joohyun but she didn't expect it to be like that. She wanted to stay with Joohyun during those times but then all her ditching and not studying enough was finally taking its toll since she’s forced to study for midterm exams.

 

But there was also one thing that kept her from being there for Joohyun during those times.

She doesn't want to seem like she's meddling too much with Joohyun's life. It’s not that she didn't bother that much but she thought it would be awkward and she would seem somewhat creepy. That she would just randomly stay by Joohyun after a supposed ‘break up’. Given her history of having a slight crush on her roommate, it seemed to her that she was hitting on the girl somehow. (It was just a thought brought to her by constant over thinking but all things considered, it would really look somehow like that).

Thinking about what she did the day after her roommate's breakup was awkward enough already. She even thought that she might've scared Joohyun for acting so strange because Seulgi never really liked doing those stuff. So she didn't follow that act up, even if she wanted to, doing such things would really just seem so strange — to her at least.

She also thought that maybe the other girl had made friends by now anyway so why would she bother staying with Joohyun. She had friends that would comfort her right?

But her assumptions were wrong because every single time she comes home she sees Joohyun lying down on their couch while watching those cheesy romcom movies. She wasn’t used to that. If Joohyun was really fine she would’ve been busy preparing for exams too or she would be cleaning the apartment or doing laundry.

So she tries to go home earlier from her group study sessions so she can at least see if Joohyun was doing alright. But she only comes home with Joohyun sleeping on their couch, who had probably spent too much time watching romcom movies again.

It takes everything in her to resist herself to stay with her and comfort her. She tries to restrain herself, tell herself that she shouldn't meddle too much with her roommate's life. So, in the end, she just ends up asking the other girl if she was ok and Joohyun would say she is.

 

Seulgi would try to convince herself to believe that even though she knows it's not true.

 

She hates herself for it too, the fact that she knows she can do something to at least stop the girl from crying but she wouldn't. She was confused at herself too. All those weird feelings were confusing her too much.

 

 

But Seulgi just can't take it anymore. So that one weekend after midterms week she canceled all her plans at the last minute and just went with her gut feeling, packed a bag and gathered all her courage to ask Joohyun to go with her to god knows where.

 

She wanted to nurse Joohyun's broken heart, and how exactly would she do that? Well asking her to an unplanned trip apparently was a good idea to Seulgi.

What's the worst that can happen right?

 

 

----

 

Joohyun excused herself for a little while so she could go to the bathroom. Seulgi was still nervous as hell. Her palms had never stayed dry ever since they got there. So somehow, even though she shouldn’t be, she’s a little thankful that Joohyun had thought of her as some criminal offender. At least she didn’t notice Seulgi's sweaty palms which would be quite embarrassing.

She had gathered all her courage today so she could ask Joohyun to come out of the apartment because she wanted to at least make her think less of the whole break up  thing. She thinks that somehow she was succeeding but at the same time failing. Yes, she was inconsistent and given the incidents that had happened earlier, yeah she thinks that this might not go as well as she thinks it would.

 

Her thoughts were interrupted when somebody tapped her side. She looks behind her and she sees Yerim smiling at her.

Seulgi had been a regular at the place because her friend Wendy always insisted that they eat there. Wendy had always said that the food they serve there tasted like home-cooked meals and she was right. Ever since they started eating there Seulgi frequented the place. She went there even when she was alone because not only did she found the food delicious, she also found people that she considered her family in this place.

"Unnie, who’s the girl you're with and where is she?" the little girl asks.

Seulgi pats her head first before answering her, "Ah, that's Joohyun, she's just in the bathroom.”

Yerim nods and she moves closer to Seulgi. She helps the little girl so she's sitting behind her, "Oh, but I haven't seen you take her here, is she a new friend?" Yerim was a curious girl, this was not new to Seulgi because every time Seulgi comes here with her friends she always gets this question.

Seulgi doesn't answer immediately as she was looking at the bathroom door thinking why Joohyun hasn't come out yet.

 

 

 

"Oh oh is she your girlfriend?"

Seulgi snaps out when Yerim had asked the question. Yerim wasn’t new to the concept since she’s been staying in a place swarming with college kids. The little girl has a very open mind. But right now, if not stopped, it would be much more of a curse rather than a blessing.

 

"Wa, why no Yerim-ah she's not my girlfriend," Yerim covers and Seulgi was quick to laugh it off. Hopefully, it would be seem like some kind of joke.

“I'm sorry unnie, she looks really pretty!” Yerim says and Seulgi's couldn’t agree more.

“Isn’t she Yerim-ah, I just hope she’s fine, she’s prettier when she smiles," Seulgi says softly to Yerim and she sees Yerim tugging her sleeves.

 

“If she's sad then she needs the happy bear! Do that happy bear thing you do when I cry,” when Seulgi hears this she wanted to laugh. The happy bear thing was a dance she does for Yerim whenever she cried.

“I don't think Joohyun would like that, I will look weird,” Seulgi hears footsteps approaching them and when she looks up Joohyun was already there, smiling at them.

“Joohyun unnie, Seulgi unnie told me that you’re not ok? Did someone hurt you? Seulgi unnie would fight him just tell her who it is," Seulgi side-eyes Yerim but she sees Joohyun smiling. Yerim proceeds on telling the story of that one time kids bullied her and how Seulgi rescued her from those boys that picked on her.

 

 

"Yerim-ah your Seulgi unnie sure is brave isn't she?"

 

Seulgi looks at Joohyun who's just smiling while she was talking to Yerim. She must really like kids she thought.

 

 

“Right right Seulgi unnie?” Yerim suddenly asks and Seulgi must've been enjoying herself too much at the scene of the two of them talking for a while because she had no idea what Yerim was asking her. She just agrees to whatever Yerim was referring to.

“See, see Joohyun unnie, I told you she will do it,” Yerim says and Seulgi had literally no idea what Yerim was talking about and she had no idea what she just agreed to.

“Really Seulgi? You'll really do that?” Joohyun asks while turning her head to meet Seulgi's eyes

“Wha-what?” Seulgi says while shaking her head. Confusion was painted all over her face

 

 

 

“Seulgi, Yerim was telling me you'll do the bear dance!”

 

 

Seulgi was torn. Will she risk her reputation just to make her roommate happy and shut Yerim up. Or will she rather think of something else to cheer up Joohyun. Possibly by shoving a piece of meat into Yerim’s mouth? (Though the latter seems like a criminal offense).

She should really not be considering doing that dance. But she did want to make Joohyun happy. That was the whole purpose of getting her out of the apartment. And as a matter of fact, seeing Joohyun smile was one of the things she really loved. Although most of the times she denies it to herself, she knew it was true.

 

 

 

“Fine.”

 

Joohyun’s eyes widened. The laugh and cheers from Yerim was so loud that it might’ve gotten the attention of some of the restaurant customers which she didn’t need at this moment. She could not have her face all over social media with the risk of her people seeing it.
 

“Are you sure?” Joohyun asks not sounding so sincere but rather teasing.

 

Seulgi just nods and she fixes her hair first as if it was a very serious performance before getting up her seat, “I hope this makes you cheer up Hyun-ah.”

 

But before any act of possible embarrassment and mocking happens a voice disrupts the scene that was seconds away from ruining Seulgi’s reputation, “Yah, Yerim-ah! You should really stop bothering Seulgi on her dates!”

Yerim runs towards the direction of the voice with a scared look on her face. A complete contrast to the relieved face Seulgi had when she knew she was saved from humiliation.

The man whose voice was heard a few moments ago was now carrying Yerim in his arms and motioned for Seulgi to get back on her seat. He was bowing politely and was giving his apologies to both Joohyun and Seulgi.

“I’m really sorry about Yerim, you know she gets really excited when she sees you Seul. I’m sorry for ruining your date.”

Seulgi eyes the man in front of them for misbranding what is going between her and Joohyun, “Oppa!!!! This isn’t a date!” Seulgi almost screams sounding too defensive while explaining to the man in front of them that it isn’t what he thinks it is.

She really does appreciate the open-mindedness of the people around her. She’s really thankful that they’re very accepting of people’s personal preferences. She loves the people inside this restaurant with all her heart for being the nicest people she had ever met (and for accepting her for who she is). But right now, or at moments like this, it’s really proving to be much more of a curse.

 

“Ow, Seulgi she’s really pretty aren’t you really considering this a date? And you rarely bring people here so are you really sure?”

Seulgi is flushing red right now. She can pinpoint who exactly ruined her night. It sure wasn’t Yerim who did nothing but make adorable little innocent actions. Sure enough, it was her Donghae oppa who is currently teasing her in front of Joohyun. He’ the true culprit

 

She looks over at Joohyun who is just currently laughing. She’s relieved that Joohyun doesn’t mind the teasing. Or rather because she also keeps an open mind.

She’s even more relieved to see the brightness in Joohyun comeback and that she was smiling and laughing again. But she hopes that Joohyun doesn’t see the bright red flush that had painted her face.

 

“Oppa!”

 

“Fine fine,” he surrenders, “so who is this beautiful maiden Seul?” Donghae says while letting Yerim down. Holding the latter’s hand firmly so that Yerim doesn’t bother any more customers.

 

“This is Joohyun, Joohyun this is Donghae oppa, he’s Mrs. Lee’s son and now the owner of the restaurant and he’s Yerim’s brother. He’s a close friend,” Seulgi introduces them to each other. And Seulgi can see that Donghae’s eyes had widened. She just eyes Donghae and he seems to know what to do, which is to shut up and just go on with the introductions.

 

 

“Hi Joohyun I’m pleased to meet you. Seulgi was absolutely right when she told me you were beautiful,” Seulgi’s mouth went agape at the sudden remark. She had expected that he knew what to do. She should’ve known better. She knew that her oppa wouldn’t stop the teasing even with her threatening him to shut up.

 

Joohyun laughs before reaching Donghae’s hand for a handshake, “I hope she doesn’t talk bad about me behind my back,” Joohyun teases back and Seulgi was glad that Joohyun was such a sport. Though what could happen next after Donghae leaves just makes her panic in her seat.

“Don’t worry she doesn’t as a matter of fact–” before Donghae could even continue with what he was saying he was interrupted by Seulgi. Seulgi knows for damn sure that if Donghae continued talking all hell would break loose and she wouldn’t have an ounce of her dignity left.

 

Seulgi fakes a laugh before replying, "Now that you know Joohyun, can we continue dinner? I think we had enough interruptions,” she sees Donghae smile and she eyes him one more time signaling him to stop embarrassing her.

 

“It’s ok Seulgi I really don’t mind,” Joohyun cuts off the staring contest between Seulgi and Donghae.

“No Joohyun, oppa is really busy right?” Seulgi’s eyes widen even further as if the wider her eyes were the greater threat it would pose to Donghae.

“Actually she’s right Joohyun. As a treat from me for interrupting. Dinner’s on me! Now if you’ll excuse me I have to make Yerim stop bothering customers. Enjoy your meal! ”

 

Before Donghae even leaves she teases Seulgi one more time by whispering something as soon as he takes a step away from them, “Good luck on your date.”

But luck’s not on Seulgi’s side because before she can even reply Donghae was already talking to another customer at the nearby table.

 

 

Seulgi was still following Donghae around with her eyes. After what had happened she couldn’t really face the girl opposite of her. So she tries to distract herself first. Hoping that whatever happened will just be another elephant in the room.

“So… you take people here on dates huh?” Seulgi was shocked when Joohyun breaks the air between them. Seulgi isn’t exactly sure what Joohyun was trying to say. Or rather she just wanted to brush it off by playing dumb.

 

“Huh?”

 

“I mean is this where you take your dates? Donghae oppa just thought I wa-”

 

 

“NO!” Seulgi almost screams for the nth time today. Maybe bringing Joohyun here was not a good idea since she’s getting all cornered.

“I’m sorry,” Seulgi apologizes, “I mean, it’s just that I don’t usually bring people here along with me, maybe just the really close friends and-”

“Your dates?” Joohyun continues sounding as teasing as Donghae earlier.

Seulgi heaves a sigh as she knew she’ll never win today, so might as well just tell the truth, “Yes, and dates.”

 

She sees Joohyun laugh and even though Seulgi hated the situation she was in now, being all cornered and teased, she was happy that Joohyun was somehow returning to her old self. The bright and cheery Joohyun who any chance she got.

 

 

------

“Kang Seulgiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!” Seulgi hears a scream from Joohyun’s bedroom which causes her to wake up from her bear like slumber. She was drunk again last night that’s why her head was spinning when she tries to get out of bed.

“Kang Seulgiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!” Joohyun’s screams were louder this time and Seulgi, even though her head was spinning like crazy, tries to hurriedly get out of bed to see why Joohyun was screaming so hard. Also, so Joohyun doesn’t disturb any neighbors.

Seulg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter