Kariye Na... (Don't)

Vaada Raha (I Promise)

Note: This first chapter is a set up of the background and context of the later chapters. I know that can be a little confusing but I thought this was essential and important in helping emphasizing and explaining the character relationships later. This is an extremely small summary of how I had originally aimed to create the characters in this story and their relationships with one another.

Enjoy~~

-------

 

 

 

Age 9, on a warm summer afternoon.

“As per the customs, we will ask you, do you wish to carry on the promises that were made by your grandparents and passed to your parents?”

You nodded, eager to hear what you could be promising.

“Before you say yes, you should hear the promise, right?”

You nodded again, exchanging glances with the boy across the room, the first person you had just talked to in your new class. He looked nervous, contrasting to your curious and inquisitive demeanor. He looked as if he had gotten scolded for sneaking biscuits out of the cabinet once again and getting caught.

“Raja, would you like to hear the promise too?” His aunt smiled down on him, and he looked like he gained more interest after the attention from her directed to him. He nodded softly. She turned toward the little girl sitting behind him. “Jiya, you can hear it too. Even though this is for your brother.” The little girl nodded.

“So, 40 years ago, when each of  your grandparents first moved here, they had newly married their spouses. Your mother’s mother and father, Raja, and your father’s mother and father. While they had originally made the promise to each other that they wished to become relatives beyond friendship, their own children did not hold this promise. However, they still wished to fulfill that bond, to have a marriage within their friends, whether it was between their children, or their grandchildren. Now, both of you are very young now, and your minds and hearts can change- as did your own parents, however, we wanted to let you know of their wish, before they told you themselves. You don’t have to say yes, but we thought, maybe if we brought it to you first, you wouldn’t feel the pressure to say yes just because you didn’t want to disagree with your grandparents’ choice. How does that sound?”

You heard what Raja’s aunt said, but most of it was not something you comprehended. At least, not to the degree for which she was trying to share with you. You simply nodded.

“Of course, when you’re a bit older, you can choose whether you want to keep that promise or to make your own choice. After all, you hold your own opinion.”

You weren’t even sure what she meant now, but it all sounded good, and when it came to talking to the elders, whether they were your parents, aunts or grandparents, listening and agreeing was usually the way to go.

“Okay auntie, so...can I go now?” you smiled, wanting to get away, back to the field where you left your kite.

She laughed. “Chaal mastaan.” (Go along, mischevious one)

...later…

“Why did auntie want to marry us? It’s not the olden days,” you pouted, trying to untangle the kite string.

“I told you you shouldn’t have said yes to her...now look, we have to get married,” Raja scowled again, his previous annoyance returning.

“Yeah, well, I’m gonna tell her I don’t wanna marry you anyways. I don’t like boys who get caught getting cookies. Now I don’t have any either.” You got up, leaving him to scowl by himself. “C’mon Jiya, let’s go fly kites outside.”

“Okay didi!” Jiya nodded excitedly, running after you.

“Well, I don’t like girls who like kites,” he said to no one.

 

*didi is a term of affection for sister*

 

Age 14, a breezy fall day.

“Raja’s coming over today.”

“Oh, yeah I forgot, we have that project for the community event to work on, right?”

“No silly, his aunt is coming over too.”

“His aunt?”

No answer, which could only mean one thing. That childhood discussion, which happened in what seemed like a lifetime ago.

“Well, I guess we’ll talk later then.” You weren’t sure what to say, heading to the bathroom, fixing your slanted bangs. Mom wouldn’t let you get your hair colored or teased, so you had to rely on your bangs to give you some sort of edge. *sigh* Being a teen was stressful. And then there was that dangerously new boy who had shown up in your class for a day and left the next day, but he hadn’t left your memory.

...later…

“Well, glad that’s over.” Raja pouted, snacking on the cheetos that you resisted.

“Yeah...I wonder how long they’ll expect us to go along with this”promise” stuff…” you mumbled.

“Probably til we’re with someone else...or worse, til we’re married,” he scoffed, laughing.

You cringed at the word married. It sounded so far away, yet you knew it could theoretically happen in another 6 years. You didn’t speak for a minute.

“So, I mean, do you like anyone now?” you broke the silence finally.

He stared at you for a good moment, then laughed. “Why, are you worried you’re gonna end up stuck with me?”

Your face burned with embarrassment. “Yeah, why would I ever want to be stuck with you? That would be embarrassing…”

“Wait til I hit puberty, maybe you’ll change your mind,” Raja laughed. You couldn’t help but laugh.

“Well, at least we know we won’t die single? That’s kinda nice…” you fake laughed.

“Yeah...in a way...why, do you like someone?”

You gulped, remembering the boy. His eyes had been as dark as his hair, yet intriguing, inviting, and his smile, ethereal. How unfortunate that you had only been able to see him for one day… “He didn’t stay, so I guess not.”

“Maybe that’ll change next time we have to talk about this,” he munched on the last of the cheetos.

“Maybe.”

------

Bonus: Jiya’s view

So she had a crush on the new guy...

You texted quickly.

Hey, are you still transferring in this year? Because, you should definitely consider it.

Lol it’s not confirmed, but why? -H

Oh no reason, but the school year is going to start soon so, sooner the better.

True. Yeah, I’ll talk to my dad tonight. -H

You smirked. Don’t worry, if I have anything to do with it, you won’t be stuck with my brother haha. You thought.

“Jiya! What are you doing here? Mom didn’t tell me you were gonna be here too.”

“Oh hey, I was just supposed to be here to pick up the bro, but, I couldn’t help it. I mean, as much as I wanna be like “yes be my sis in real life” I’m pretty sure we can do that without sacrificing you in getting married to that fool.” You laughed, she laughed with you.

“Now this is why I knew we were close...thanks girl. I gotta tell you though, there was this new guy today in homeroom...exchange student or transfer student? I don’t know… but he should come back…”

You smirked, acting surprised. “Do tell me more…”

Age 16, the end of your sweet sixteen.

Cake. Everywhere, in your hair, in your lashes, and washing it off was just not going well at all. You sighed, but laughed, knowing all too well that Jiya wasn’t gonna let you off without the yearly tradition. The two of you had gotten even closer ever since that awkward conversation the year before with her brother reminding you that you wouldn’t have to worry about finding someone eventually. Even though Jiya was his sister, she was more like your own sister from how much time you spent with each other. She was also the only one who knew you had a crush on the new guy who had come to visit the school.

“Are you done yet?!” You heard her voice, breaking your train of thought.

“I’ll never get rid of all this frosting…” you muttered. Jiya came in, helping you wash off the last of the cake from your face. “All right, let’s go!”

You walked back out to the hall, still hearing the sounds of teens yelling, some adults yelling after them. You were a few doors down from the arcade room when a tall figure came into view, walking and glancing at his phone as it approached you. Your heart skipped a beat.

He looked up. “Hey birthday girl. Sorry I’m a little late...I couldn’t find the entrance to this place.” He scratched his head, looking slightly sheepish, yet as always, ethereal. His hair was perfect, reminding you of your now messy hair and the scene of the frosting all over your face moments ago in the bathroom.

You gulped. “Uh...no, it’s fine! Um..thanks for coming...and wishing me too…” you mumbled, getting flustered. “Did you get to have any cake?” you sounded like a train wreck and it wasn’t getting any better.

He laughed. “Well, not yet, but, looks like the cake came to me.” He reached over, pulling a little puff of frosting that you had missed in your hair. Your face burned in embarrassment.

“Omg…” your voice faded.

“So...can we find this cake? The real one haha.” he tried to lighten it up, realizing your panicked expression.

You just nodded, gesturing for him to follow. “This a-way.” You walked down the hall, almost reaching the door to the arcade. You turned to him.

“Um, I just realized, I never got to know your name, I’m so sorry, that’s super awkward.”

“Oh, haha. It’s Himchan.”

You nodded, smiling up at him like a kid in a candy store. Himchan. You’d make sure to never forget.