Roommate

Roommate

When Vernon meets Seungkwan the first thing he says to his roommate is: 

", you're pretty."

Granted he was a bit drunk and wasn't expecting to even have a roommate to come home to but the blonde haired boy didn't even look taken back by Vernon's words, he just smiled brightly and stated. "No, actually, I'm Seungkwan." And reached his hand out for Vernon to shake.

Vernon just nodded and waved him off and mumbled, "Hansol but you can call me Vernon" nonchalantly. He made his way over to his bed, flopping down on to it. "I didn't know that I had a roommate." He thought aloud. Seungkwan let out a soft laugh that reminded Vernon of angels and all things beautiful.

Vernon looked up to study the boy and was almost certain that the boy in front of him was an angel. He had a cute face with chubby cheeks and thin lips. He was thin like Vernon but he had the best he had ever seen. A bit shorter than Vernon. He watched as Seungkwan smiled and admired the way the boy's eyes disappeared into small little crescent shapes as he did so. He was truly the epitome of beauty.

"Yeah, well there was a last minute switch up with some exchange student from America that they had to room with my roommate because he speaks English and your room was the only one left without a roommate." Seungkwan explained, shrugging. Vernon nodded understandingly.

"Sorry about my appearance right now, I'm a bit drunk." Vernon explained, whispering the last bit.

Seungkwan laughed again and shook his head. "Big partier?"

Now it was Vernon's turn to laugh but he just shook his head. "Nah, just needed to let loose, y'know? All my friends keep saying I'm too uptight." Vernon sighed.

Seungkwan just watched him curiously, staying silent. Vernon continued to ramble on, "And then my boy-" he stopped and bit his lip, looking over at Seungkwan. He didn't know the kid, he could be some huge homophobe or something. "uh girlfriend dumped. And as though that was not bad enough, it was over the phone. Over the phone!" Vernon exclaimed.

Seungkwan raised an eyebrow at him, trying to seem interested and not disappointed after hearing that Vernon was straight. The same Vernom that had just called him 'pretty'. The same Vernon that he's kind of had a crush on for like two years and secretly made his friend switch him roommates so that he could room with was straight.

"Sorry to hear that, man. But as nice as it is to hear about your relationship problems I have class at eight so I need to go to bed."

Vernon's eyes widened. "Oh, yeah! Yeah, of course. Sorry for that, I ramble a lot when I'm drunk. Sorry." Vernon mentally punched himself for sounding so stupid.

Seungkwan got into his bed and turned off the bedside lamp near his bed, waiting for Vernon to do the same.

Vernon had sobered up a bit and decided it was late and if he wanted to be able to wake up for class tomorrow he would need some sleep. He turned off the lamp on his side of the room. He looked over at the blonde haired boy's bed and saw the boy's chest moving up and down. Thank god, he's asleep, Vernon thought.

He felt kind of embarrassed for the way he greeted the boy, he would have to make something up in the morning if the boy asked him about it. 'Oh sorry man my contacts fell out and I thought you were a hot girl.' He knew it wouldn't work considering Vernom didn't wear contacts but he would give it a try. He sighed and stripped off his shirt and jeans and got in to bed.

He closed his eyes and tried to forget about the embarrassment pooling in the pit of his stomach. He laid there for a few minutes with his eyes closed when he heard a noise from the other bed.

"Vernon."

. He could ignore him. Pretend he's still asleep or something like that. But something in him told him to answer.

"Yes?"

"Did you mean it?"

Vernon opened his eyes and looked over to the boy's bed. The moonlight shining from the window making the other look even more beautiful than he had before. His eyes were on Vernon, with a look of confusion and wonder on his face.

"Did I mean what?"

Vernon played dumb. Hoping that it wasn't what he thought it was.

"That I was pretty?"

Vernon just laid his head back and stared at the ceiling above him. Maybe it was the alcohol still lingering in his veins but something told him there was no point in lying about it.

"Yeah. You're pretty. Real ing pretty." Vernon said as calm as he possibly could.

The words would come off as a joke if it wasn't for Vernon's honest tone. He turned his head to see the boy's reaction and saw that the blonde haired boy was smiling. A smile that even in the dark was beautiful and bright. Brighter and more beautiful than the moon that was lighting up their room even.

Satisfied with that, Vernon turned his head back so that he was once again staring at the ceiling above him.

It was only a few seconds later that he heard the older boy whisper softly.

"You're pretty too, Vernonie."

And normally Vernon would've told him to ' off' and that 'he wasn't pretty' but vernon just smiled and closed his eyes, letting himself drift off to sleep.

That night he decided maybe his roommate wasn't so bad. What he didn't know was that this was only the beginning.