Haunting

$100k Exes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re crazy.”

“Not if it works.”

“Even if it does. Which it won’t. You’re ing crazy.”

“Sometimes… You have to destroy comfort when trying to achieve progress. I think that’s the quote”

“I think you’re referring to ‘comfort is the enemy of progress’. God you’ve already forgotten your favorite quote. You need to watch that movie again. And by the way I’ve never achieve comfort in any of your processes. Ever. After all this time.”

“Lee Soon-gyu. Are you going to keep harassing me or are you going to assist? Like an assistant should.”

“Fine. I hate when you call me that”

“Alright. Sunny. Just hold the center piece steady as I saw. And when it breaks off. Please. Please. PLEASE. Don’t drop it.”

“Alright. Mind over mater. So it doesn’t matter that I’m a twig and can’t possibly hulk this thing from falling to its imminent destruction.” 

Taeyeon’s vision is slowly sawing its way through a suspended tree trunk. The massive remnant of what was a stunning pine tree hung its base vulnerably from the ceiling. With ropes strapping it from multi direction, pulling and yanking, performing the act of balance and simultaneously stretching itself apart, it cracks and labors with every intention to transform magnificently. 

Her forehead broke another sweat as she anticipates the drop that’s about to come, separating the once unified mass of wood into two, yet remain attach. Free yourself, yet remain attach to your core. Her senses heighten as the saw cuts another centimeter into the pine and she no longer hears Sunny inaudible voice. 

Taeyeon sees it. The beginning and an end. It would happen very fast. In a split second it would happen. If she blinks she would miss it. Yet, when it happens and if she catches it, time would inch incrementally slow and she would witness the rebirth of life and meaning for this forgotten thing that was casted away in the woods. 

“TAEYEON!” Sunny screeches from the top of her lungs when the massive piece of wood cracks and her arms betrayed her. Taeyeon’s hasty attempt to help Sunny save the crash was utterly futile. Everything happened too fast. The base split into two like how Taeyeon had imagine, but the force from the drop broke the piece into two separate one instead of staying connected like a chain. 

“!” Taeyeon screams in frustration.

“Well. That’s a lot of blood, sweats, and tears. Literally” Sunny said, wiping the mass of sweats dripping from her eyebrows as she flicks numbed fingers in Taeyeon’s direction“You should get that clean out. Looks bad.” 

Taeyeon plop down onto the floor beside her destroyed sculpture. She wipes the blood that’s still dripping from her palm and hisses when the fabric of her sleeves catches onto the splinter. 

“You think it’ll pass for contemporary art?”

“Shut up Sunny.”

The two old friend threw their exhaustion flat onto the dirty, sawdust nested floor and laughs tiredly. Its been too long since the two work together and utter failure was what they had come out with. The hour is long past slumber but yet to be dawn. Taeyeon starts to wonder what’s happening at the house. If the other is home, asleep, or is she still working as well.

“I told you it’s not going to work.”

“It’s contemporary.”

“HAA! Contemporary friends too?”

“What”

“You know what. Tiffany what. You’re more insane than I thought”

“We all get there eventually.” 

It’s been one month since the show began. They’ve been on a couple missions here and there. But because of the nature of Tiffany’s work and Taeyeon’s with her full college schedule, the two have successfully avoided each other for the most part. Taeyeon has figured out the other girl’s schedule after a week. Early morning to midnight with the occasional overnight stay in neighboring countries but never too far outside of Asia due to contracts with the show. On most nights, the bed would be empty due to the other being gone so the two managed to draft unspoken terms to take turn sleeping in cold sheets. On nights where they are both home, one would be silently asleep when the other return. And on those night, they would find that passing time on the couch through television was more appropriate than sleeping together on the same bed. 

“Do you watch it?” Taeyeon suddenly asks.

“Oh God no.” Sunny snorted “Do YOU?”

“No. But I get to live it” 

“So are you going to tell me what happened? It’s only been years. Or do I have to watch the show to know how you broke my girl’s heart?” Sunny said sitting up and dusting off her hair, creating a fume of golden dust. “We really ought to wear a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter