Chapter 1

The Glory of Roommates

The strong sunlight beaming through the openings of the thick curtains was what woke him up. By that point, all of his senses had woken up as well. The smell of a stranger and regret filled his nose as he opened his eyes carefully. Staring up at his one night stand’s sleeping face, he exhaled and prepared himself to get up.

A beep from his phone made him roll around and turn to the nightstand where his phone was lit up. Checking through his notifications, he grimaced as his landlord sent a message that truly wasn’t in his favor. Skimming through the words yet still understanding the overall message, he placed the phone back down on the nightstand. He rolled on his back and stared at the ceiling, the calm breathing from his partner for the night calming him down slightly.

“I really gotta move out…”

 

 

“The kitchen and the living room are connected, then down the hallway are the rooms.” Choi Seungcheol, a resident of the one store apartment, was giving him a tour around the place. Everything that was said went right through Jeonghan, as he was too busy drooling over his new roommate. Was he really about to share apartment with such a hunk?

“The other roommates aren’t home right now, but once they get back I’ll make sure to introduce you.” Seungcheol’s deep voice seemed to warm up Jeonghan’s insides. How could someone be so perfect? The black hair, the blue jeans… the white t-shirt too. Everything was fitting so perfectly on the older male, it was as if he was made to make Jeonghan’s heart ache.

“Of course. I can’t wait to meet them.” If the other roommates were going to be as hot as Seungcheol, Jeonghan really couldn’t wait. Damn, he should’ve worn more flaunting clothes today. Who would’ve thought his roommate would have a face sculpted by the Gods?

Seungcheol introduced him to the hallway where five closed doors stood. He said the door at the end was the bathroom, and the rest were rooms. The first door to the left would be Jeonghan’s. 

“I’ll let you unpack and make yourself comfortable. If something’s up, just tell me.” Seungcheol turned around, flashed Jeonghan a God-given smile and walked back to the kitchen. Jeonghan felt the grip on his suitcases tighten as his heartbeat quickened. Hurrying over to his room, he opened the door and walked in before his heartbeat would echo in the hallway.

Putting his mind on other things, Jeonghan looked around the room and sighed when he saw a window. The sunset illuminated his room and covered the cream colored walls in a pink-yellow color. The view was nice and although he didn’t necessarily hate it, Jeonghan loved sleeping in and sunlight was not supportive of his sleeping patterns. He had already gotten his biggest possessions, such as his bed and drawer, moved in before he actually got here and unless if he wanted to move his bed he had to live with sunlight waking him up every morning. 

“Okay… Let’s unpack.” Jeonghan said, pulling the suitcases further into the room. Jeonghan was a simple person and his belongings were just as simple. You could say his life was simple too. He’s lived 25 years with the thought of not getting into complicated situations. That’s why he never had any strong relationships with people. It’s also why he never became a surgeon. In his opinion, his life was a good one. Jeonghan just soared through everything with ease and whenever an issue occurred, he’d go into flight-mode. Some might say he was a coward and wouldn’t face reality, but that truly wasn’t it. In a simple way, Jeonghan would say he was lazy and didn’t have the time of the day to go through complications. 

Spending an hour or two on unpacking, Jeonghan got enough time to think about his new hot roommate. He was excited for what the future held and hoped the odds were in his favor. Chanting his hopes that Seungcheol wasn’t dating, Jeonghan got out of his new room and into the kitchen. Seungcheol sat by the kitchen island, face illuminated by the light from his phone. Normally you wouldn’t look too attractive while checking your phone but Seungcheol? He looked great. His long lashes that covered his eyes, his sharp jaw that vacantly chewed on something and his red plump lips that Jeonghan really wanted to feel up on. God, he was perfect.

“You done already?” Seungcheol asked, looking up from his phone and smiling. Jeonghan pulled himself out of his thoughts and nodded, smiling.

“Yeah. I don’t got that many things so it was easy.” Jeonghan chuckled, moving over to sit on one of the chairs by the kitchen island. “So what’cha doing?”

“Just texted Jihoon to see when he’d get home. I think he’ll be back in a couple of minutes though.” Seungcheol said, placing his phone down on the table. 

“Jihoon?” One of the other roommates, he’d guess. Jeonghan became intrigued. “What’s he like?” 

“He’s a cool guy. A therapist. Jihoon’s good at keeping his head cool and downing beers without getting drunk.” Seungcheol explained, as if the two had known each other for quite a while already. Jeonghan’s assumption was answered by Seungcheol’s following words, “We shared dorm in college and have been pretty tight since.” 

“Ah… I see…” Jeonghan decided to pick his words carefully after that. “So if Jihoon your lucky someone?” 

It took Seungcheol a minute to understand what he meant. He laughed before answering, “No way! Jihoon and me? That would be like dating a brother.” 

A wash of relief came over Jeonghan as the words got through to him. A therapist, huh? 

“So what about our other roomie?” Jeonghan asked, honestly curious in the other guys he shared apartment with. Jeonghan seemed to busy within his curiosity to notice Seungcheol’s smile tugging upwards slightly. 

“Jisoo’s a cool guy. Calm and always positive.” Jeonghan just watched the older guy, waiting for more details. “Uhm-... He’s a wedding planner. He’s pretty busy with a wedding right now so he tends to come home pretty late.” 

“Wedding planner? How cool is that!” Could this Jisoo possibly plan Jeonghan and Seungcheol’s wedding? Or was that too much to ask? 

“I know right! He planned my cousin’s wedding and it was a really nice ceremony!” Seungcheol chuckled a bit. “Actually, that’s how the two of us met.” 

“Huh… So you didn’t live together back then?” 

“No.” Seungcheol shook his head. Jeonghan, having placed his elbows on the table and rested his chin on his palms, kept going back and forth between reality and his imaginary wedding with Seungcheol. He wanted to know more about the guy in front of him. 

“You seem like an interesting guy too, Seungcheol. Tell me more about yourself.” Jeonghan wasn’t the type of person to shy around someone he had an interest in. Rather, he tended to dive in and ask all sorts of questions.  

“What do you wanna know?” Seungcheol asked, his gummy smile on display. 

“Oh, I don’t know… Your favorite ice cream flavor, your least favorite J. Cole song… Your oddly specific childhood trauma involving a green bicycle…” Jeonghan started counting with his fingers. “The basics, pretty much.” 

Seungcheol laughed, and Lord how wonderful his laugh was. “You’re a funny guy, you know. Great to have a joker around.” 

But was Jeonghan truly joking? Wearing a forced smile, Jeonghan carried on the conversation with ease. It was a good thing that Seungcheol seemed to like him, he was easy to talk to. Meeting Seungcheol was great, and he was sure that the older man would be within his grasp soon enough. The two talked for what seemed like hours and Jeonghan could confess that he had never felt this way before. Like mentioned earlier, Jeonghan didn’t have any strong relationships with people. Sure, he had a couple of friends he could call and all but people to vent to when things were getting tough? People he actually had strong feelings for? That wasn’t a familiar concept to Jeonghan. And believe it or not, but Jeonghan hoped that his relation with Seungcheol would exceed the ones he already had. Was this character development? 

“I don’t know about you, but I need to get some sleep soon. Talk to you tomorrow?” Seungcheol got up from his seat by the kitchen island and picked up his abandoned phone to put it in his pocket. Jeonghan remembered how Seungcheol talked about his early shift the following morning and felt the disappointment in him grow. 

“Alright. I should get to bed too.” Jeonghan said, forcing a smile up on his face. “It was nice getting to know you, roomie.” 

“Nice getting to know you too, Jeonghan.” Jeonghan just found himself wanting to hear Seungcheol say his name more. A lot more.  

Following Seungcheol down the hallway, the two roommates said their goodbyes and went into separate rooms. Unfortunately Seungcheol’s room wasn’t on the opposite, or next to, Jeonghan’s. But it was maybe for the best. Jeonghan didn’t want to become a creep. 

Once he got in his room he sighed as he realized what a weakling he became. What happened to his simple lifestyle motto? Did he really want to get in the pants of one of his roommates, after watching so many movies about how much of a bad idea that is? 

Jeonghan shook his head and quickly changed into pajamas. He took a look at himself in his bedroom mirror and felt pleased over how well his blue pajamas pants fit with his blond hair. He got it bleached pretty recently to impress his roommates and was happy that he did. As soon as he entered the door to the apartment, Seungcheol complimented his hair. Actually, that was the first thing he said to Jeonghan. Maybe that’s why Seungcheol got in Jeonghan’s favor like this?

“Why can’t I admire myself in the mirror without thinking about him?” Jeonghan sighed to himself and his heel, sitting down on his bed and decided to drown down in his phone until he could find the peace of mind to get some sleep.
 


A new fic! I'm not trying to postpone TFIOB 2, but I really wanted to get this out quickly! I had a dream about this this morning and I spent the entire day writing this haha.