Welcome to Intermony

Summer Lovin'

The first full day of camp consisted of orientation and group bonding activities, which were just as awkward as you’d expect. Eunji found out on the first day that there were over a thousand people at the camp, which was way more than she had expected from the kids she had seen on the campus so far. Because most students only saw the people who were in a similar concentration, Eunji generally saw the same group of people everyday and never really came in contact with students in a concentration that was on the other side of campus. There were all kinds of artistic concentrations, ranging from Digital Graphics to Bassoon Performance to Interpretive Dance. Eunji was in the Modern Voice concentration, so she mostly only saw kids in the Modern Music concentration and the various Vocal concentrations. Turns out, Chanyeol was in the Modern Music concentration, so over the first couple days, Eunji saw a whole lot of Chanyeol. The vocals and the Modern Music concentrations all ate lunch in Dining Hall C, so Eunji saw a lot of Chanyeol at breakfast, lunch and dinner. And in the practice rooms. And on the grounds, walking to and fro from classes. And actually in her classes!

 

They were both in the entry-level music engineering class, which Eunji found out as Chanyeol enthusiastically greeted her as soon as she walked into the classroom.

“Hey!” Chanyeol stood up from his desk, looking as if he had made a very happy discovery. A big smile lit up his face as he waved his arm in wide arcs. Eunji gave him a little wave and weaved her way around the groups of students that had gathered to socialize before class started. She felt timid. Most of these kids obviously already knew each other, from the way they joked and laughed loudly together.

“Eunji! I didn’t know you were in Modern Music!”

“I’m not actually, I’m in Modern Voice.” Eunji tucked stray strands of hair behind her ear. She suddenly felt self-conscious as Chanyeol greeted her with genuine excitement. She hadn’t seen him since their first encounter a couple of days ago and she had almost forgot how almost intimidating his energy was. His sparkling eyes and smile both wide and open, his intense attention were entirely focused on her like a laser beam. And it freaked her out.

“Here, sit next to me!” Chanyeol patted the empty desk next to his, which was already covered in an assortment of papers, pens and empty gum wrappers.

“Okay, thanks, I will.” Eunji said as she gingerly sat down, careful not to lift the skirt of the semi-short dress she picked out this morning. She always made an effort to look nice on the first day of anything, even though she didn’t really have the kind of personality to keep that effort going for the rest of the year. And she sure was glad she did make that effort today because Chanyeol was here. Looking at her. And Chanyeol was... pretty good-looking. So.

    “Wow, not gonna introduce me?” It was a question that sounded more like a drawled statement. The muffled voice came from a boy sitting slumped over his desk on the other side of Chanyeol. Tufts of white blond hair stuck out haphazardly from the head comfortably buried in crossed arms. He didn’t budge an inch as he lazily called to Chanyeol.

    “Sorry. Sometimes I forget you’re there. This guy,” Chanyeol jabbed a finger into the guy’s hair, “is Sehun Oh.” Sehun looked up indignantly and Eunji saw that he was good-looking as well. A set of clear frames sat low on his high nose bridge and his slept-in white hair framed his sculpted face like a crooked halo. Eunji felt again, for the umpteenth time since she arrived at camp, that everyone here was just a little too pretty or handsome. The very good-looking Sehun turned to look at her.    

“Hey,” he said simply, his half-lidded, but clear eyes stared at Eunji appraisingly.

“Uh, hi.” she met his eyes for a moment then looked down quickly, laughing a little to distract from how uncomfortable she felt under his intense gaze.    

“He and I are both in Modern Music,” Chanyeol offered, as Sehun didn’t seem like the type of person to enjoy introductory small-talk. “Sehun here actually has a pretty big following on Soundcloud.”

“Oh dang, that’s pretty cool. I’ve never done anything in- uh, producing.” Eunji laughed a little self-consciously. “Why are you in a beginner’s class?”

“I needed an extra elective and Chanyeol was taking this one, so.” Sehun said nonchalantly. He hadn’t taken his eyes off her this whole time and Eunji didn’t know whether she felt intimidated or a little creeped out.

“You guys are pretty close then?” Eunji looked at the two, who both made a face at the question.

“Eh.” Chanyeol smirked. Sehun rolled his eyes.

“I’ve known this… walking waste of space since we were ten,” Sehun lazily waved a hand in Chanyeol’s direction, “so I guess you could call that close.”

“Hey!” Chanyeol slapped his hand away. “At least I do take up this much space. Vertical space, might I add.” He sat up a little taller in his chair and smiled smugly down at Sehun and Eunji.

Sehun snorted.

“If there is ever one thing Chanyeol Park will always succeed at, it’s being tall.” Sehun shook his head and then laid it back down on his desk to sleep again.

Chanyeol opened his mouth as if to fire back, but the teacher came in and class finally began. Things were a little slow because it was the first day, but Eunji was pretty excited to see how much she would learn in this class. But, she had to admit that not 100% of her attention was on the lecture because Chanyeol kept interrupting her focus. Almost every ten minutes or so, Eunji would feel a little tap on her shoulder. And there was Chanyeol, asking if she had an extra pencil, wondering if she caught the professor’s office hours, offering a piece of gum. Which he chewed insane amounts of, by the way. He and Sehun probably went through a whole pack of Juicy Fruit in the one hour of class.

But Eunji didn’t mind. Yeah, maybe it was a little weird that Chanyeol was kind of needy, especially when they had only just met, but Eunji kinda liked the feeling of being needed. It made her feel less alone, like someone cared enough to include her.

 

Class ended in what seemed like no time, and the bustle of students packing up and chatting quickly rose as the professor left the room. Eunji smiled to herself as Sehun and Chanyeol started bickering over the last piece of gum in the pack and whose pack was it in the first place?! They were so petty and childish with each other, as if they were real siblings. Eunji wished Brie was here.

“Okay guys, I’ll see you next class.” Eunji slung her bag over her shoulder and gathered up a couple books in her arms. “Nice to meet you, Sehun.”

Not wanting to disturb the two, who were obviously engaged in a very important debate, Eunji headed to the door before hearing a reply.

“Oh, wait!” Chanyeol belatedly turned from Sehun, who was tugging on his bag, but Eunji was already out the door.

“Hey!” Chanyeol smacked Sehun upside the head. “She left and I didn’t say bye. Because of you, fool.”

“Who cares, we’ll see her again next class.” Sehun rubbed his head and shot Chanyeol a begrudging look.

“I was gonna ask if she wanted to get lunch with us.” Chanyeol roughly shoved his things into his backpack.

“Why?” Sehun stood up, not having to pack up because he didn’t bother to bring anything to class.

“Whatchu mean, why?” Chanyeol smacked him again and headed for the door before Sehun could get him back. “She’s new, she probably doesn’t know anyone. And she’s nice, right?”

“Yeah, I guess.” The two headed for lunch, one wondering if he should get the turkey or the ham, the other if the new girl had anyone to eat with.

 

 

 

yay we meet sehun for the first time~