nightmares that never go away

Serendipity

 

Thunderstorms roared through the gloomy, night skies. Rain poured heavily, a sombre cry to mark the ending of the day.

19th April 2012.

To most people, it was just an ordinary day.

But for a few, it marked a dramatic change in their life. One that they would remember forever.

Police sirens echoed across the narrow alleyway, battered bodies of mysterious men lay helplessly on the floor as ruby red stains of their blood seeped through the coarse-coal covered road. A motorcycle was ready for an escape as it's headlights blinked furiously, all that's left to shine the path ahead.

"I'm counting on you." said a girl, her clothes soaked wet while standing at the opening of the alleyway. Gleaming lights of the police cars from afar dawned against her. All you could see was her silhouette, drawing out every inch of her bodyline like a piece of artwork.

With the time ticking away, she acted as a shield to ensure that their escape was swift. Gazing towards their direction, she tried hard to not show her expressions. An expression that spoke of the end of her world.

In her gaze was the motorcylist who nodded with a grim expression, tightly holding onto another girl who was struggling to get out of her tied hands. Hastily fastened with thick ropes, not even her fingers could budge.

With one last look, the motorcyclist mouthed the words "I'm sorry." Her voice was unwilling to escape , blocked by an invisible lump that was suffocating her inside. Pushing her helmet shades down and a turn of a handle, the vehicle began to make its move as it got further away from her.

"Damn it! Let me go Eunji-ya! Let me go!!" shouted her hostage, frustrated and in tears as she could not escape.

But the motorcylist remained silent. Thanks to the dark shades of her red helmet, no one was able to see her tears that were flowing out like a river.

"Are you even listening to me?! She's-!"

"Keep quiet Bom-ah! I promised her! It's all for your sake so shut the hell up!" 

"You can't just-"

"Yoon Bomi! Come to your damn ing senses already!"

The girl froze upon hearing the crack in her voice.

She's crying.

Her best friend who never shed a single tear, broke down.

"Yoon Bomi!"

"Yoon Bomi!!"

...

..

.

"Yoon Bomi!"

"Yoon Bomi!!!"

A piercing scream echoed along the corridors of the wet market, filled with stalls cramped together that sold all sorts of things from seafood, dried foods.

Immedietely, it snapped her out of that nightmare and back into reality.

". It happened again.." 

It was another morning at Mapo Market Square and the forgetful part-timer kept making the same mistakes. She wanted to try her best but the problem wasn't because she was terrible at everything but, because these memories of her past kept haunting her.

It was distracting and a hindrance to her job.

"I'm really sorry..." The girl whimpered, bowing profusely like a robot. Wearing nothing but a tattered gray cotton shirt, sewned blue shorts and half-broken slippers that look like it could tear apart any moment, even robbers would not want to take a chance at her.

"How many times did I tell you?"

The old lady sighed, almost wanting to lift her arm and give her a whipping slap across.

But she couldn't do it.

Whenever she saw the state Bomi was in, there was nothing but pity in her eyes. "Beans in the red bag, fruits in the blue!" She repeated while angrily demostrating to the girl who had her head down like a sullen puppy, flinching at the sudden raise of her voice.

"I will learn from my mistakes." Bomi mumbled.

"You say that all the time! How am I supposed to rely on you if you don't do your job properly?"

"I'm sorry....."

She stared at her for a brief three seconds before sighing away- again for the 3rd time.

"Fix this mess." she said, storming off to attend the customers who were all witnessing the scene.

The part-timer cowardly crouched down and picked up the bags her owner had heartlessly tossed on the floor. Blaming herself for not even being able to differentiate the colours,

it was just so stupid.

Even elementary school students could do a better job than her. 

As the chaos died down, work continued normally. Bomi was now, wide awake after that embarrassing scolding in front of everyone. With her shift over, she was now running to another place to start her other part-time job.

"Sorry! Am I late?" She said with a huff, inhaling and exhaling.

"We were just about to leave. There's still some boxes inside, put them here." said one of her co-workers as she showed her the remaining, empty space in the boot of the truck.

This time, Bomi worked as a mover. At the market, she was an assistant. Two hours from now, she will have to run to a convenience store in Hongdae as a cashier. Tomorrow, she will have a different set of jobs.

She was more or less, an ant worker running from place to place.

By the time she was done with all of her shifts, dawn had arrived.

The exhuasted girl trudged along the Han River with two plastic bag full of food and drinks hanging onto her left wrist. She was sleepy and hungry, but food won this time. Observing the reflection of her face against the clear water, she was reminded of what a horrible person she was.

Why was she even alive for?

To live and repent her sins?

Remembering what happened on that fateful day, it was what she deserved.

Legs crossed and her seated onto the cold, hard cement floor, Bomi quietly observed the landscape of Seoul as many thoughts floated across her mind.

It was about those same things.

Thoughts about her life, her mistakes and her regrets.

Opening a can of beer with a loud fizz, Bomi gulped it down like it was water. Even though she couldn't take alcohol well, it didn't matter. She wanted her body to embrace the bitterness and allow it to seep through the wounds that will never heal. She then dug her hands into her small pocket and counted the money she had earned today.

Just enough to get through the day.

"I wonder how long has it been since? Five years?"

She was now talking to herself, breaking into a chuckle halfway, thinking that she was going crazy. It was probably better if people took her in as some psychopath on the streets rather than continuing to suffer like that.

She was lonely,

Depressed.

Even though she was surrounded by people, it was different. They were simply co-workers whom she chatted casually and intimidating bosses who scolded her every day.

She didn't have actual friends. No one to actually explain her feelings and pain.

Her real friends were already "gone".

Tears welled her eyes before it bursted. Emotions always took Bomi in control whenever she sat by the Han River.

It was the only place where she could open her heart out.

The Han River was her only friend who would listen to her problems.

She sobbed, burying her head in between her knees.

"I'm sorry."

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

With late night coming through, it was a time for people to rest. But for some, it was just the start of their day.

Thick smoke covered the roads that were closed for this special event as roars of motorcycle engines resounded into the sky. Crowds scattered the vast area, segregated by colourful barricades as they watched and cheered excitedly for their favourite team to win. After all, it was a gambling match between the blue and red bike that were competing for first place.

All you have to do is pay a specific amount of which biker will win and if it happens, you will get double the amount. Many risk putting hundreds in hopes of striking rich, a perfect paradise for gamblers.

The blue was chasing after the red that was in the lead. Zooming past obstacles that were deliberately made for the course, the bikers had to sweep through circles, even hop and perform dangerous stunts to ensure that they got through, splatters of mud and oil covered the ground making it a perfect atmosphere for the competition. It was certainly a job for professionals but in this biking competition, incidents do happen.

Bikers can die.

"And Little Tiger continues to lead strongly!" shouted the MC as his comments blasted through the speakers.

Another wave of cheers went on as the bikes reached the last spurt.

In the end, the red bike, Little Tiger won the match.

Excitement died down slowly as happy watchers were ecstatic at winning the gamble while the latter whined like children and headed home empty-handed.

Soon, both bikers returned to the makeshift garage as the mechanics stationed went to repair and clean their automobiles.

"Good match." said the biker as he entered with his blue bike painted in a bright neon colour. "Indeed, you're still the best biker out there." He said, taking his helmet off and gave a thumbs up.

"You can do better Suho oppa." A chirpy voice perked through as the Little Tiger's owner took out her helmet and shook her head slightly, allowing her long, silky hair to flow out. "I'm just lucky, that's all." She had a bright, charming smile that immediately dissipated her scary aura.

"There you go again, being humble!"

"Come on, I'm serious! Little Tiger is my lucky charm!" she argued, tapping onto her neon-bright red motorcycle with a proud grin.

"Alright, ya got me Hyerim-ah" Suho chuckled, raising his hands in defeat. "Congrats on winning. I heard over 3000 people betted on your win. That's going to be..." He counted with his fingers as winners would get ten times the amount. "Wow! 30,000 grand!"

"Gotta do what I need to survive!" Hyerim laughed it off, not wanting to rub in the fact that she "is rich". It is true that she won a lot of money by taking part in these gambling matches.

But, she wasn't happy.

No, it wasn't due to the fact that she has been living in a whole lie by using another identity known as "Jung Hyerim". The real her, Jung Eunji felt more freedom to become someone else.

She had always thought that money was the only key to happiness. Risking her life and doing what she loves was great, but there wasn't that sense of happiness jumping in her heart.

It was like she was missing something.

Something very important.

The night was still young as Eunji continued to participate in many rounds. The gambling games stayed on till dawn, as there were many other matches going on. Most of the time, she won. Her life was like that, riding her bike till sun rose before coming back home in her small apartment and collapsing into her bed out of exhaustion. She would sleep for long hours, normally waking up in the afternoon. She wasn't the type to live lavishly with her prize money. It was more simple, like what an ordinary person would do. Going to a normal restuarant, living like a normal being despite having so much of money.

She believed that there will be a day where she will have to use that "large" sum of money eventually.

It was only a matter of when.

Her hobby besides biking? Drinking alone by herself. It had become a habit and her large circle of friends warned that excessive drinking would ruin her health.

But she couldn't stop.

It was her only way to escape herself from this fake illusion she had formed. Eunji was a social bird, popular with everyone. Money wasn't a problem to her as long as she kept winning. She thought that if money wasn't the key to happiness, maybe love was. Thanks to her broad connections, everyone introduced her to several good men. But all of them whom she had dated, none of them struck a fire in her heart.

Instead, it was always her. She was so special, a rare gem that you'll never find.

But it was all over since that day. Regrets piled up and the girl never got down to fixing it. Maybe that's why she never found happiness, because she was still thinking about her.

Her first love.

 

 

 


 

 

 

In a luxurious hotel located in Gangnam, one woman woke up in the middle of the night. No, she wasn't having any nightmares. It just happens naturally. She couldn't sleep much.

Turning over to see a man sleeping soundly beside, she smiled and gently stretched her arms over to caress his messy bed hair.

No, he isn't her boyfriend. 

He is her customer.

Son Naeun works as an . Well, people call it being a e or being a . Yeah, that's the reality but she's gotten used to it already. After all, she gets good, thick money into her bank account and is treated well by many men through gifts, quality dinners and mannered attitude. 

Peeking at the clock, it's 4am in the morning. The time for her service is almost up and her eyes are already onto the envelope at the night stand, her payment for today. It was her usual customer, whom she labels as "The Gentle One". In about 12 hours, she'll have a booking with "The Romantist".

Weekdays are always full but she always leaves her weekends off for "alone" time. After all, it would take too much toll onto her body as a tool of pleasure.

Carefully getting out of bed, she headed to the toilet to wash herself and put on her clothes. Looking at the mirror, she touched onto the hickeys made by "The Gentle One" during their round of ual . They stuck to her persistently, like her broken memories that refused to be forgotten.

It hurts but that's fine. It's all part of the many marks on her body, traces that were left behind by her "customers".

With the ringing silence in the toilet, she unconciously found herself covering her ears.

She hated it whenever this happened, that's why she needed music to block out these thoughts.

Music was her saviour. 

Total silence was her nightmare.

It occured again, those voices in her head.

 

"Naeun-ah, I am sorry."

"Never come back."

"."

"Maybe it would be better if you disappeared."

"I am humilated to have you as a friend."

"Let's pretend that we never knew each other."

"...."

 

"You're leaving already?"

The girl flinched, jumping back into her senses before turning around, to see her customer wide-awake. Naturally, she walked into his arms and embraced him tightly.

"It's about time, oppa."

"I'll meet you next week. Tonight was absolutely amazing" he smiled, not wasting the chance to land more kisses onto her, shifting carefully from her lips to her neck.

"See you, Taemin oppa." she smiled, taking her belongings, especially the thick envelope.

"Safe trip home." Taemin waved, watching her leave from the doorway. 

"You kept your promise."

"Of course. If my Naeun says to not follow her back home, I won't."

"Oh, enough with that nickname." she scoffed, causing the man to laugh. "See you oppa."

Taking a taxi back to her home, this was her only moment where she could be truly herself.

Everything that she did, was all an act.

Once a performing arts major, acting was no problem thus no one could really see beyond her lies. All of these relationships she formed, were all fake.

Being in this ion industry for over 3 years, she had a hint of a man's personality upon meeting and what kind of woman they wanted to satisfy their needs. She could act as a nice, gentle lady or an aggressive one, it all depended on the wants of her cilent.

Of course, there were many dangers to this job.

The possibility of getting pregnant or obtaining diseases from continuous ual , but this is the life she chose.

She wasn't sure how it became that way. Maybe she was just doing this to run away from something.

Or because, there wasn't anything else she was better at.

She had no friends, no family.

Just herself to rely on.

That's right. In this dark world, she can't trust anyone but her alone.

All she can have are these temporary moments of happiness with these men formed through fake relationships.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

7am.

Seoul Police Headquarters.

Being the lucky, selected few female officers of the squardon, it was her responsibility to keep the city safe from crime. Or at least, that's what she was taught in police school. Reporting for morning duty, she was ready to go through her daily rounds of patrolling round the city and checking with citizens to ensure everyone is happy and problem-free.

"Kim Namjoo, reporting to duty!" she saluted to her captain, Choi Minho.

"Right, you and Wheein are in charge of Mapo district. Return here by noon and send in your reports. Dismissed." The captain responded, not even looking up as his eyes were glued on checking a list of documents.

"Yes sir!" Namjoo saluted with a bow before exiting the station with her partner. The two clicked immediately when they first met in police school and stuck to each other ever since. She was her first "friend" and thanks to her, she regained back all of her lost happiness when she was lost in a dark path years ago.

Inside the car with Namjoo at the wheel, the two chatted about many things.

"I swear Namjoo, you'll have no luck in winning the captain's heart!"

"Since when did I say that I have a crush on him?!" said Namjoo with widened eyes.

"Oh, you're not one of them?" Wheein laughed.

"Pfft, just because the rest of the girls in our team has a crush on him, doesn't automatically mean I'm into him too!"

"Then that's great! I'm tired of hearing those girls talking about how good-looking he is and all that crap."

"GOSH! ME TOO WHEEIN!" exasperated Namjoo with a gasp as the two exchanged a high-five, echoing loudly in the car.

"Man, this is the last day of our rookie training. After this, we'll be assigned actual police duties. We'll be seperated." said Wheein with a frown.

"On the bright side, we don't have to wake up every morning for this."

"Yeah, good point!"

"You're transferring to your hometown in Jeonju right?"

"Yup! I promised my mum to become the village's guardian. You're going straight into the investigative department?"

"Ever since that day, I vowed myself to catch all the bad guys. I don't want to sit here doing normal officer duties."

"Right."

"I-I didn't mean in that way Wheein-ah!"

"I know, you don't have to worry." laughed the girl. "Just contact me whenever you're having a hard time okay?"

"More like I'll always contact you!"

The besties laughed and continue to chatter away. Within a blink of an eye, the officers arrived at their destination and began their patrol duties as normal. Walking down the streets, observing for any unusual activity, talking to people such as owners of a store and collecting everything to write into a report sounds like boring work. For the past 3 months of her internship, nothing eventful has happened. This should be good news because it meant there was no crime happening at the moment.

But sometimes, Namjoo wished that she could've put her hard training to work. 

"Thief!"

A shout from afar as the two police officers turned around quickly. Scanning their eyes around like a hawk, they noticed a figure running away with a handbag clutched onto its hand as a lady was on the floor, possibly pushed to the side.

"Are you okay miss?" asked Wheein as she ran straight to assist the lady. Namjoo on the other hand, ran after the culprit. During her school days, she was ranked as the fastest runner and was perfect for the job. It didn't take long for the girl to catch up and immediately kicked the suspect down. Restraining the man by sitting on his back with her weight, Namjoo quickly took out the handcuffs from her pocket and cuffed his hands in a flash.

"You are under arrest for snatching. If you feel accused, you are free to contact a lawyer in this position. But for now, you'll have to follow me to the police station."

"Hah, what a ." cursed the man, unfazed.

 

"."

 

That very word, triggered a memory that Namjoo had buried so deeply in her head.

 

"What a loud you are."

"Do you think maybe you'll sound great in bed with that voice of yours?"

"Come on, I think this tastes great."

 

Her trauma was coming back. 

It was like there was a snake slithering up , constricting her ability to breathe.

"Namjoo, watch out!"

Hearing the faint voice of Wheein from afar, it snapped her back into reality as she noticed that the cuffs were not put on properly. The man was about to throw a punch at her but in that moment, her partner saved her with a kick to the balls.

"ARGH!!!" The man screamed in pain as Wheein quickly took over.

"Hey, move!" said Wheein, pushing the still, fazed Namjoo who began to take deep inhales away as she hurriedly cuffed it back.

With the culprit properly restrained, Wheein approached her friend who was experiencing another attack. Knowing her for years, she was well-informed of her deep scars. She knew that Namjoo always took the weekends off to visit the psychologist and was given meds whenever she suffered an attack.

"Namjoo!" shouted Wheein in worry, noticing that the girl was having difficulty breathing. Quickly, she searched her pockets and found a capsule of pills. She was sure, that it was for her attacks. With quick hands, she took a pill out and forced Namjoo to swallow it. With a gulp, Namjoo took a deep breath as she began to return to normal.

"S-Sorry...." gasped the girl.

"It's okay." smiled Wheein before turning back to tend the suspect who continued to struggle with the cuffs. "Come on, let's go back to the station." she said, patting her shoulder.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Seated inside a cubicle of an IT company, is just an ordinary computer programmer who spends dull days fixing bugs, managing the company's website or heading off the fix minor internet problems that her co-workers face. She yawns, typing away while adjusting her round glasses, bored.

Thing is, this is only her third day at work. Usually, a freshie would appear to be motivated and encouraged to learn new things. But this girl looked like she's experienced and is the knack-know-it-all in this expertise. As suspicious as it may seem, she definitely has a motive.

However, no one seems to bat an eye. 

The undercover worked perfectly.

During break hour, the girl disappeared from the norm of "hanging out with seniors" and headed off to a secluded balcony where she has a good view of the city. Located at the 60th floor, it's a good hideout spot she found all for her own privacy. Taking out a lighter from her pocket, she was about to light a cigarette only to halt mid-way.

"Hayoung-ah. Smoking is bad."

Her voice echoes in head again. Every single time.

With a sigh, she closes the cap in defeat and tosses the un-lit cigar aside. Instead, she digs her pocket to unwrap a lollipop and went straight for the sweet flavour.

Sometimes, sugar was a better choice than tobacco.

She hated how she could no longer satisfy her smoking desires all because it reminded of, her.

Looking out towards the bustling city of Seoul, she was busy planning out a strategy in which she would make use of later. Wondering which to choose, she flips a coin to ease her decisions. There were so many choices in mind, but it wouldn't be fun if she took em all in one go.

Opening her palm, it was heads.

"Woori Bank it is." mumbled the girl with a snicker, adjusting her lollipop.

Returning back to her office floor, everyone was out for lunch break. Looking around to make sure there was not a single soul present, she carefully took out her personal laptop from her bag and headed to a corner, plugging it onto an electric point and placed it on the floor. Crouching down, she typed in her username and password to unlock it.

From here, the game begins.

Hacking into the bank's website.

Cracking her knuckles, she starts by changing her IP address to her company as a means to avoid trackers. After all, her job didn't matter anyway. It was just temporary.

She would rather see the company crumble then being sent to jail. With the green light, her fingers begin to dance on the keyboard and Hayoung manages to break through the many firewalls and armed protections of Woori Bank. It didn't take long before she was now transferring all of the bank's assets into her own personal account. The zeros behind was almost uncountable as she smirked, pressing enter. 

It took only three minutes before it was complete, every single penny empty from Woori Bank. But of course, she didn't forget to leave behind her mark. That was the fun part, behind all of her hacking attempts.

"Thanks for the little gift, Woori Bank." - Regards From 96.

With the message sent, the girl shut her laptop down and casually returns to her seat. Coincidentally, all of her co-workers started returning to the floor, stomaches full from lunch.

"Hayoung-ah, you're still here?" asked one of her mates, Hyejeong.

"Uh, yeah." replied the girl coldly, already starting her act as she pretended to be very busy at work. The perfect act of a hardworking newbie.

"Aigoo, you're always working so hard that you skip your meals. People at your age should at least have fun y'know?" The older lady sighed, unable to do anything as she returned to her seat.

Making sure that Hyejeong no longer had her attention on her, Hayoung smirked. She knew it wouldn't even take minutes for the whole country to realise what has happened to Woori Bank.

She closed her eyes and counted in her head.

"3."

"2."

"1."

"OH MY GOD!" 

"Everyone! Check the news!"

"What? What happened?!"

"Woori Bank? The heck?!"

"Hey! Then what happens to my money then? My savings account is in there?!"

" man! Who the hell is this stupid 96?!"

"Isn't that the same person that hacked Citibank Korea last month? What the hell?!"

"Why isn't the police catching them?!"

Hearing the chaos ensue was like music to Hayoung's ears. While hiding her smile, she continued to pretend-work, satisfied at witnessing the suffering of others. In fact, she could've used her hacking talents for the good, not for the evil. But she already knew that there was no point in "being a good girl." All of her experiences from the past taught her that, and theres no turning back.

Strangely enough, this happiness doesn't last long.

Eventually, her stealing attempts turn into regrets.

"I hate you, Hayoung. I hate you for doing this."

Her words echo loudly in Hayoung's head.

She despised it everytime it occured.

Like a haunting memory that she couldn't run away from, her happiness of obtaining large amounts of cash died quickly.

Why did it even matter if she was super rich when she was never truly happy in the beginning?

This was a nightmare that even money can't solve.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

The bright, glazing sun soaks through the prison grounds of Seoul as inmates dressed in the casual, bright orange uniforms were forced to clean the large foyer that was as big as a football field. With guards patrolling and making sure they were doing their work, no one could protest. After all, they were all prisoners who were sent to be punished for their crimes. But one person, was innocent even though she never told anyone about it. Instead, she persuaded everyone into believing that she was the criminal and paid for a sentence that she was never guilty for. 

Why would she do that?

Was she insane?

No.

It was for love.

No matter how silly it was, she loved every single one of them. She did it to protect them, even if it meant sacrificing herself. At times she wondered if this was really the right decision, she wondered how different it would be if she chose to be innocent. But then, the very thought of her loved ones being in jail immediately changed her mind. It was better for her to be the sacrifice.

After all, it was not like she had anything else important in her life.

Those girls, were her everything.

"Hey, inmate 0391!"

She turned around and walked up to the guard.

"Yes sir?"

"You've got a visitor."

"All of a sudden?" She raised her eyebrows. In her life-long sentence, there had not been one visitor. It may sound like a sad story but she wanted it that way. She didn't want anyone to visit her because she knew that it would be hard on both her and the others. 

She wanted to shut herself from the world and perhaps live a virtual life by looking out from her windows as days go by.

"Yes. Follow me." instructed the guard as she was lead inside, and into a private room.

Seated at the table was a young lady officer. Her coal-black hair was tied into a neat bun, black-rim glasses that lounged across the bridge of her nose that was like a perfect sculpture and a warm smile like the sun that accompanied.

At first glance, she was beautiful.

"Hello Chorong-ssi, please sit down." she pointed towards the empty chair in front of her.

"You are...?" The girl asked, seated.

"Pleasure to meet you Chorong-ssi, I am an investigative officer from Seoul. Name's Bae Joo Hyun but you can just call me Irene.

"I don't know you." replied Chorong coldly.

"Of course." She said cooly before her smile suddenly disappeared. "I came here because I need your help."

"My help?"

"Yes. And if you help me out, your jail sentence will be terminated immediately."

Chorong scrunched her eyebrows in confusion, she wasn't sure what was going on.

At most, it felt suspicious.

"I know that you are not guilty for your crimes."

"H-Huh?"

Irene then took out a folder from her bag and placed it onto the table.

"What's this-" Chorong paused upon seeing familiar photographs of faces whom she has not seen in a long time. It triggered a strange influx of emotions in her heart.

"I need you to help me find and persuade them."

"I-I don't know them, miss." stuttered Chorong as her eyes wavered nervously.

"You're lying. It's too obvious to tell." Irene smiled, easily noticing her signs.

"Y-You're talking to the wrong person."

"Now then, let's see..." hummed Irene as she took the folder from her hand and read out the names one by one. "Jung Eunji, Son Naeun, Kim Namjoo, Oh Hayoung," she paused, moving her eyes back onto the girl as if to check on her expression.

"Yoon Bomi."

Upon hearing her name, Chorong flinched.

"You do know them." said Irene as she looked straight into her eyes.

"......"

"Chorong-ssi, please cooperate with us. The police needs your help." she begged.

Her eyes told no lies. 

In fact, Chorong wasn't even sure anymore. Even if she were to say yes, that would mean going back into that world again. A world that she had shut herself from. She could've continue to live in peace behind bars, maybe that is the way to find happiness.

But then again,

What defines happiness?

Sacrificing for your loved ones?

There was a hunch of curiosity yearning in her heart and need for answers.

A sigh escaped the woman's mouth as her mind began talking. It had been awhile since her brain was having an all-out debate and it was making her go crazy.

"Chorong-ssi."

The whole time, Irene was watching her. Changing facial expressions, distress in her eyes and flinching fingers, these were all signs. 

"Hanlim Art School, 19th April 2012." said the officer.

Upon the mention, it was game over. Irene had used her trump card to finish it all.

"What do you want?" asked Chorong as she bit her teeth, cornered with nowhere to escape.

 

 

--