- that disappear into the darkness, and explode before they vanish...forever

In Statera Et Iter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Unfortunately William Shakespeare is on leave today, hence no Will S. quotes. In fact, everybody seems to have gone home for the weekend, so no quotes here either

The banging on his door did little help for his developing migraine as Hyunwook blinked his eyes drowsily, sunlight filtering through the silk curtains which ultimately woke him up, instead of the racket outside his room. 

"Young Master! It's nearly time for breakfast, please wake up!" The banging did not cease, and coupled with a high voice which apparently did not understand the concept of speaking quietly, Hyunwook groaned and put a hand to his tousled black locks. 

It soon became a full blown headache as the voice and banging became louder, and an indescribable sense of dread filled him as Hyunwook noticed the scattered letters at the base of his bed, as well as several on his bedside cabinet. Pulling his windows open and leaning over his windowsill, he groaned again at the pieces of the torn up letter on the grassy lawn. 

"Young master - " Anger and irritation coursed through his veins, causing Hyunwook to cross the room in two strides and promptly wrench the door open, catching the maid's wrist in mid-knock. "Do you not know what silence is? And who allowed you to be pounding on people's doors at the crack of dawn?" He nearly growled into her face, who shrank in fright and surprise. 

"Apologies, Young Master!" He released her wrist and the servant bowed deeply immediately, a sign of respect. " 'Tis Mistress Hallowreath who ordered me to wake you, young master, until you awake. And...it's almost ten thirty now, not the crack of dawn anymore." 

"Hmph," He turned away from her, who raised her head hopefully but soon forced it down again when Hyunwook glowered down. "Tell my darling mother I shall be down shortly. And who was supposed to be in charge of me this morning?" His voice rose again, along with his temper. The dark mourning clothes were still worn, though slightly creased due to him sleeping with the outfit. There was supposed to be someone bringing him a new set of clothing every morning, but apparently the whole household seemed to be quite lazy today. 

"M-me, Young Master." She stammered, and held out a pile of freshly-ironed set of folded clothes with trembling hands. "And I'm supposed, under orders of Mistress Hallowreath, to dress you as well - " 

"Leave it," He commanded, and took the clothes from her offering palms. "I can dress myself." 

"But - " 

"Now," Hyunwook warned, causing her to scuttle away immediately. Sighing, he slammed the door shut, and threw the clothes onto his bedsheets. How in the world, He thought as nimble fingers started to shed the black jacket and work on the buttons on his waistcoat. does dear old Mother manage to hire such people? The waistcoat soon came off, and he threw the piece of clothing onto the jacket. 

If Daehyun was here, he would surely - His fingers stopped short at the black ribbon resting quite snugly around his neck, and he found himself looking at the white rose pinned on the lapel of his coat.

Suddenly, it was as if yesterday began again.

He held out his arms to let the servant slip on his black jacket smoothly, and privately wished that she would be away quickly so he could cry in soltitude. Hyunwook untied the ribbon with trembling fingers, and hadn't noticed it coming off until he saw himself in the mirror standing at one corner of his room, with his sparkling sapphires of eyes staring back at himself in horror and despair. 

When she finally pinned the white rose to the plush material and stood away from his rigid form, clapped her hands slightly while admiring him. "You look perfect, young master," She said gently as she straightened the lapels once more, before sweeping her skirts away from his room. The black velvet fell from his grasp onto the soft blankets, and he stumbled on his way to the mirror, the despair in his eyes more visible every step. 

 Hyunwook picked up the red rose resting in a glass filled half with water with trembling hands, and placed it gently inside one of the pockets in the inner part of his suit. "Daehyun..." He whispered, fingers sprawled on the smooth surface. "Help me...I think I'm going insane." Hyunwook stared at his reflection, the emotions reflected on it and with a loud cry pulled himself away from it, falling onto the plush carpet and - 

"Will?" A rapt knock on his door jolted him out of his stupor, and he stood up, heart hammering against his chest and wringing his hands, then cleared his throat. "Is that you, Seohyun noona?" 

"It's Hestia here for you," She scolded, and he let himself manage a rueful smile. "Come down quickly, will you? Everyone is waiting." 

"Apologies." Hyunwook turned back to the mirror, and undid the buttons of his dress shirt promptly, with clinical effciency. Soon, he stood before it, wearing a new dress shirt, a thin blood red ribbon around his neck, and dark-coloured pants finished with his shoes. Hesitating for a split second, he took the pitch black ribbon from the top of his dresser and pinned it to his chest - a symbol of continued mourning for his lover, took a deep breath and walked out of his door. 

 

Breakfast was, as usual, a dreadful and noisy affair. His baby brother was throwing things at the wallpaper as he did normally, which apparently now caused his older brother to start aiming teacups at the delicate patterns, yelling obscenities all the while, leaving tea stains on the purple. 

Hyunwook took his place next to his older sister, the one who knocked on his door just now, who was peacefully cutting up her scone as if the dining room wasn't as noisy as a market, and admired her calmness silently. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter