Mission START

OPERATION: HOUSEWIFE

‘So you have to pose as being married to someone.’

‘Yep.’

‘And live with them.’

‘Yep.’

‘For an indefinite amount of time.’

‘Yes.’

‘And your spouse is a total stranger.’

‘Well yeah.’ I glance over at Yam from where I’m lying on the floor. ‘They wouldn’t tell me who it might be, they won’t know until someone accepts this assignment. Yam, what if the person I have to be married to is a total ?’

‘What if it’s Van?’

‘Nah it can’t be him. He’s in Russia right now. Or he may have gone somewhere else. Point is he’s unavailable.’

‘Well that’s something,’ Yam murmurs. ‘But, Kim, you don’t have to take the case. You can decline.’

‘No, I want to do it.’

‘Why do they need you to do this surveillance mission anyway?’

‘Not sure. They can’t tell us everything in the briefing file because again, I might not accept. And then if I didn’t accept and I was just walking around with all the details of the case in my head – that could get messy.’

‘That’s true. I mean you don’t even know where you’ll be going for this assignment.’

‘I know.’

‘So.’ Yam sits back on the couch and looks down at me. ‘You’re going to go?’

‘Why wouldn’t I?’

‘So you could have a longer break?’

‘I mean, if I don’t accept this they’ll have something else in line for me. Besides, this seems interesting, you know? It’s like when you read a blurb on a book or something. I’m hooked.’

She laughs. ‘It is intriguing. I’m actually starting an assignment on Monday myself.’

‘Can you tell me anything about it?’

Yam shakes her head. ‘Sorry. I’ll tell you about it after, if I’m allowed.’

‘And I’ll tell you about this, if I’m allowed.’

‘Deal.’

‘So, how was your anniversary?’

‘Oh my goodness.’ Yam jumps to her feet, grabbing my hands with both of her own. ‘It was so wonderful. I think Pii is the one. Really really.’

‘Did you tell her you’re going away on Monday?’

‘Yeah. I’m seeing her again tomorrow to say goodbye.’

For a moment neither one of us says anything. I smile. ‘Hey Yam?’

‘Yeah?’

‘When you were a kid and you imagined, you know, being a spy or a secret agent or whatever, is this how you pictured it?’

There’s a pause. Then –

‘Yes,’ says Yam.

I beam at her. ‘Me too.’

+

‘So we might not see each other for a while, huh.’

Yam pulls me in for a hug. ‘Stay safe, 72.’ I pat her on the shoulder. In the harsh artificial light of the atrium, the edges of Yam’s face are sharpened, she looks tired and young.

‘You too, dummy.’

Yam moves back, smiling. ‘Go get ‘em.’

‘Good luck for Monday. You’ll be awesome.’

‘I know I will.’

I give Yam one last wave, and then move off to the side to the corridor leading to Aunt In’s office. As I walk, people call out greetings, and I nod in return but don’t stop to talk. Already my palms are beginning to warm up. I clench and unclench her fist, and try to breathe slowly.

No matter how many assignments I go on, the anxiety beforehand is always the same. I can feel my heart in my chest, vibrating against my ribs. My fingers tingle with adrenaline. I can even feel the slight pressure in my temples that threatens a migraine.

I shake my head, and then jump backwards a little. So caught up in the knot of fear in my chest, I didn’t realize that the door to Aunt In’s office was centimeters from me. I take a moment, straighten my back, breathe in deeply, and then stride forward and knock on the door.

‘Come in.’

I enter.

’72.’

‘Aunt In.’

‘I’m assuming your presence here means you accept this assignment.’

I nod. ‘Yes. Do I start right away?’

‘Almost. You read the whole file?’

‘I did.’

‘So you understand what’s required of you on this assignment?’

‘I do.’

‘Alright. I have your new address with me. Most of your possessions, if not all, should be arriving this afternoon, so you want to get there before they do, or soon after. Your spouse should either arrive later this evening or tomorrow morning, as of yet I’m not sure which. Any questions?’

‘When you say, um, possessions, will my clothes be brought as well or was I expected to bring them myself?’

‘No, the clothes are travelling with your furniture.’

‘Ok. Thank you.’ I sit back in her chair. Possessions arriving in the afternoon… that probably includes all the important information to do with the assignment, as well as any equipment needed for the surveillance mission. And my husband or wife will be arriving either this evening or tomorrow morning. I sigh. At least I don’t have to go home and finish my messy packing – I’d started that morning after Yam kept reminding me that I might not be provided with clothes. At the moment, I don’t have anything with me except the briefing file for the case. Personal possessions are considered a hazard by the agency, after all. ‘Is that everything?’

Aunt In reaches into a drawer on her desk and pulls out a piece of paper and an envelope. ‘In here is your address house keys. There are also keys for your car. You’ll find it parked outside. It’s silver, number plate 93-2920. And remember to call your aunty if you need anything!’

‘Thank you.’

‘Good luck.’

I leave the office, grasping the car keys in my fist, and look down at the address I’m holding.

‘Here we go,’ I murmur, then walk out to find my new car.

+

It’s small and round, clearly a family vehicle. Inside it smells like warm plastic and something chemical. I twist the key in the ignition, and glances at the address on the slip of paper beside me. The house is out in the suburbs, further from the city than I’d expected.

At least this is a home-based mission.

The car moves easily onto the quiet road and there aren’t many other vehicles, which means the trip to my new home takes barely half an hour. The warm summer sun flickers across my dashboard and the air smells of the sea. By the time I reaches the house, I feel more relaxed and lethargic than I probably should on an assignment.

‘Wow…’

I pull into the garage and open the car door, clambering onto the sidewalk. There’s already a large truck parked just outside, in the street, and the front door is open. The house is two stories high, with a black gate at the side through which I can clearly see a glittering blue pool. The air smells of plant life. As I approach several men file out the front door.

‘Miss Kimhan?’

‘That’s me.’

One of the men in a large sunhat nods at the house. ‘Just finished installing all your furniture.’

‘Do I need to sign anything?’

‘No, it’s all in order. Call us if you have any problems.’

‘I will. Thanks.’

I watch as they cram into the moving van and take off, the rumbling truck the only noise to penetrate the thick hush that blankets the neighborhood. My phone buzzes.

check your dresser for a little house warming gift for you two!! xx – aunt In

+

OPERATION: HOUSEWIFE

DURATION: TBD

OBJECTIVE: INVESTIGATE MIKE D’ANGELO AND DETERMINE RELATIONS TO G.O.L.F CORP

ALLEGATIONS: SUSPECT HAS BEEN CALLED IN FOR WEAPON DISTRIBUTION TO G.O.L.F. WEAPONS NOT FOUND, CHARGES LET GO.

OTHER: MONITOR MIKE D’ANGELO. DIRECT CONFRONTATION NOT NESSECARY, BUT IF AGENTS DEEM IT BENEFICIAL THEY HAVE CLEARANCE TO ACT AS THEY SEE FIT WITHIN REASON (within reason – allowing cover to remain intact during investigation). AGENTS WILL POSE AS MARRIED UNTIL ASSIGNMENT COMPLETED.

+

‘Pretty straightforward,’ I mutter, flicking through the file. Pictures of Mike, documents from the original charges. ‘Don’t know why they need two of us here, really.’ Speaking of two of us… I glance up at the clock hanging on the wall in the kitchen. The hands read clearly 12:37am. I get to my feet and push my arms up until I hear a faint crack. After sitting still for so long I can feel the tension seeping from my limbs. ‘Guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to meet them, then.’

The night air is heavy with condensation, and I smile despite myself. With an agreeable partner, this mission could be a walk in the park. And that’s fine with me.

I climb the stairs to the one bedroom, pulling on my pyjamas and brushing my teeth. I think sleepily of Yam, whether she feels nervous about her assignment. I hope she’s set up somewhere as nice as this.

I fall asleep to the sound of cicadas.