Chapter 3

Nose Bomb

 


Kyungsoo seemed to be pretty pleased after being told of the manner Chanyeol and his mother met. Laughing softly and even giving Chanyeol an extra fond expression while his mother the back of his hand.

It wasn't until about an hour later that Kyungsoo decided he's well enough to head back. A simple shot and a few pills is all it took for him to get back to normal. Chanyeol watched him closely when he attempted standing up on his own - and succeeded.

When they returned to the Do apartment, it was Kyungsoo's mother who suggested for Chanyeol to stay and rest a little bit himself. And well, he cannot say no. Not only because he doesn't want to seem rude, but also because he wants to stay longer.

Now getting to see Kyungsoo's room from the inside, Chanyeol realized it's not any different than his own dorm room. It's small and contains a bed and a closet. All in order. Well, there's one difference between their rooms.

While Kyungsoo's mother pitched them some tea and prepared to leave and return to work, she called Chanyeol out of the room again.

"Chanyeol.. Thank you again. You are always welcome here, alright? Come whenever you want."

Her tone was soft and warm again. Chanyeol understands where Kyungsoo's gentleness came from. He smiled at her, gladly taking the little plate of cookies that was handed to him.

"Thank you Mrs.Do. Have a nice rest of the day!"

She laughed heartfully and nodded before closing the unlockable door behind her. Woops. Maybe Chanyeol should participate in the expenses of fixing it... Since it was him who broke the mechanism to begin with.

 


The next time Chanyeol entered the room with the little plate in his hands he saw Kyungsoo half curled on the bed. Still in his pajamas since the morning, struggling to keep his eyes opened.

"Cute."

Kyungsoo probably didn't hear it, because even Chanyeol himself didn't realize he said it out loud. Seating himself beside Kyungsoo's fallen body on the bed, he smiled and began his shoulder gently.

"You should sleep. I'm here."

"Thank you... Chanyeol.."

Kyungsoo mumbled airily before allowing himself to shut his eyes. Chanyeol grinned even wider and after some adjustment was able to cover Kyungsoo with the blanket properly again. 

Sitting in the room with nothing but silence and Kyungsoo's low breathes made Chanyeol realize just how much stronger the scent became. But now he isn't sure if the source is Kyungsoo himself, or a certain item in the room that could have latched onto Kyungsoo.

Either way now that the case of this scary event is closed, it doesn't mean there's any less pressure in Chanyeol's heart about the possibilities. Having seen Kyungsoo in such a weakened state was painful.

Chanyeol wants to make sure there will never be a second to this.

No matter how much he'd try to avoid it, it'll continue nagging at the back of his head. Probably even after he'd grab himself and tell Kyungsoo the truth.

For now though.. For now there's no point sinking down into this rabbit hole of fear and anxiety. Kyungsoo is right there, sleeping by his side.

 


Chanyeol spent hours there. The first couple of hours were just him munching on the cookies, leaving crumbs over Kyungsoo's sheets while his free hand was back and forth on top of his motionless body over the blanket.

Then everything became a blur. Awake again, he found himself lying right next to Kyungsoo who's facing the other way. Chanyeol's palm rested on the side of the blanket on top of him.

He really needed this rest, because even after a while of waiting silently for the other to wake up, he didn't. Kyungsoo slept deep and calm.

Getting bored of staying in the same spot for so long, Chanyeol allowed himself to leave the bed, exit the bedroom, and explore around in the apartment. The shattered vase has been cleaned, and it was quiet. 

Kyungsoo's room felt like it was more well kept than the rest of the house. Or maybe it was because of the strong scent surrounding him that Chanyeol thought that way. The apartment itself smelled like herbs and old wood.

Chanyeol spent time browsing through the books in the tall shelves in the living room, then he moved on and flipped some old disc boxes. Old CDs of musicians who are most likely not even alive anymore. He finished his solo tour by turning on the television and settling on the couch.

A few times per hour he'd go back to Kyungsoo's room only to find him deep asleep. At one point he even placed a large glass of water on the little shelf by the bed just in case, yet everytime he came again, not a drop was missing.

He ended up staying until the evening, Kyungsoo's mother came back by then and began cooking. The noise must have woken Kyungsoo up because only then he stepped out of his bedroom, hair a mess and looking completely disoriented but well rested.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo's scent has grown much stronger afterwards. For the next weeks Chanyeol's nose was filled with nothing other than Kyungsoo. So was his brain.

And Kyungsoo probably had enough of him for the rest of his life. Chanyeol can't help it.

In the weeks after the hospital incident Chanyeol dedicated every cell in his body to Kyungsoo's well being. Coming over to his place every day, or inviting Kyungsoo over to his dorm room. Even right after work.

They would sit down and study together, Chanyeol somehow always in physical contact with Kyungsoo. Be it an arm around his shoulder, the tip of his finger rested on the fabric of his shirt, or even just his toes grazing to Kyungsoo's body somehow.

Chanyeol felt in bliss being this close to Kyungsoo all the time, but he was also disgusted with himself. From his touchiness, how needy he became, how he can feel that Kyungsoo's sometimes so done with him but never complains.

He really doesn't know how he managed to pass any of his exams for this semester, but he was glad Kyungsoo was just as successful in his class.

Baekhyun and Jongdae didn't drift apart either, sticking together with Chanyeol whenever it was possible and cooing at his adorable admire for Kyungsoo. He appreciated their support... But he felt like he's going to lose his mind at any moment.

He would much rather have them scold him for his unhealthy obsession over his boyfriend. Tell him to get a grip and remember that he has his own damn self to take care of as well.

Somehow it came to the point where Chanyeol felt like he's in a race. A competition between Kyungsoo and him about who'd be able to take care of the other better. He hated it. He knew Kyungsoo wasn't happy either.

But what can he do when his brain is under the influence of the scent stronger than any drug that's making Chanyeol want to fly, and die at the same time.

He still hasn't told the truth. It's still the heaviest burden on his heart. It still makes him shake and tremble when he remembers that there's a possibility Kyungsoo's days are shortening as seconds pass by, and that Chanyeol for some stupid reason doesn't do anything to change it.

How much longer will he be able to contain this not even secret inside him? He's a fool to think that maybe not letting it see the light of day means it's implications aren't true.

Kyungsoo knows something is wrong. Chanyeol sees the way Kyungsoo sometimes glances at him when he isn't paying attention. He knows it's Kyungsoo that washes his dirty clothes for him when he crashes at the Do residence for a weekend and wakes up late.

 


"Chanyeol, I'm sorry, but Kyungsoo doesn't want to see you today."

A little cracking noise suddenly echoed inside his chest and up into his ears. Standing there, shocked and rejected in front of Kyungsoo's mother. She is definitely as sad as Chanyeol right now. But a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do. And Chanyeol can't but accept his faith.

"I'm sorry dear.. You know I'd gladly have you here."

Chanyeol knows very well why he isn't welcome to join Kyungsoo today. This has been going on for too long. Kyungsoo had to endure so much, he showed Chanyeol nothing but acceptance, affection and kindness.

But there he was, dealing with the results of his obsessive behaviour towards the boy... Too much of something is never good. There has to be balance.. But Chanyeol trully is too unstable right now. 

He's being eaten from the inside. A hole that grows bigger with fear every single day. Every single time he saw Kyungsoo, touched him, felt his soft hair on his lips after a long night's sleep, smelled... him.

Like a haunting nightmare that still seems to stand up higher and scarier than whatever distance he'll have to keep from Kyungsoo.

"I see.. Uh.. Please give him my greetings then Mrs.Do. Have a nice day."

The door closed in front of his bowing body, and after rushing back to his dorm Chanyeol wanted nothing but to scream. So he did. Grabbing the nearby pillow from the couch and shouting into it, voice hoarse and rough.

He's been smothering poor Kyungsoo with so much. Too much. It's unfair, Chanyeol hates himself for it, and honestly, he'd push himself away if he was in Kyungsoo's position as well.

"Good morning to you too."

Sehun's voice came behind him. No point in getting startled. Chanyeol sighed heavily and cleared his throat, face still burried in the pillow while he's just breathing in the heat of his own exhale. 

Though it did bring him back to his senses, because the pillow smells like old fabrics and dust and Chanyeol doesn't feel like adding a headache to his heartache.

"Should I ask what's wrong?"

"I just can't ing chill can I."

"Mmh, well, not lately. No."

Chanyeol finally turned to look at his roommate, hair even more messy than his own, eyes squinted with clear lines of exhaustion. Poor kid. Sehun's really just trying to survive and Chanyeol is giving him hell.

"Sehun, what if you knew something terrible... And.. You think that something even more terrible will happen soon--.. But.. You can't tell anyone because you're afraid if you tell it'll really come true...?"

"Dude. The heck do you want from me, I literally just woke up."

"Sorry, sorry."

Sehun that began already stirring a plastic spoon inside his coffee mug, suddenly turned to stare at Chanyeol sharply.

"Okay, what is up? You'd never get nervous from my words."

A heavy sigh left the depths of Chanyeol's chest, and he ran his long fingers through his hair before rubbing his eyes.

"I'm so messed up seriously.. Feels like some curse is haunting me.. Ugh. Sehun, let's go raid Jongdae and Baekhyun's dorm. I want pizza."

"Pizza for breakfast. That's not even the weirdest I've seen you be."

Chanyeol rushed Sehun to get dressed. Seriously, poor Sehun. Chanyeol knows he's probably being awful right now, forcing his own precious brother-like roommate to gulp his coffee this quick just to drag him and ruin their friends' morning as well.

 

--

 

Shouts and curses echoed through the entire floor when Chanyeol picklocked into their friends' dorm room and forced Sehun to join in with his invasion. Starting with a tickle attack on Jongdae who ended up whining in laughter, and then pulling Baekhyun's blanket off and shaking him until he woke up as well.

The main victim of the two's reaction was Chanyeol of course, recieving hits all over and a few random objects thrown his way while Sehun loses his in laughter, saved from the wrath of the smaller duo.

It didn't even take long for the pizza to arrive once they've all settled on the floor of their living room. Chanyeol dug in right away, grabbing two pieces together, squeezing them into a sandwich and chomping nearly a third of the whole portion at once. Earning some freaky looks from his pizza mates.

"Okay, what the heck is up with you man? You're weird but never this weird."

Baekhyun finally broke the conversation they had about their teachers when he noticed Chanyeol's itching desire to pour some of the spicy powder onto his finger and it off, like some sort of torture.

He caught Chanyeol red handed, with the reddened finger nearly placed on his tongue. Wide eyed and frozen in spot, Chanyeol stared at the three pairs of eyes staring right back at him, and layed his finger back down, wiping off the spices and sighing.

"Kyungsoo's mom refused to let me in because he doesn't want to see me."

"Wow. Harsh buddy."

Jongdae responded immediately, patting Chanyeol's shoulder while Sehun's head is resting on Jongdae's own shoulder. Baekhyun on the other hand grabbed the phone from his pocket and began scrolling through what Chanyeol assumes are texts.

"Chanyeol is being a little odd. I mean-- he's always with me, and that's great really.. But aren't there things he has to do?"

Baekhyun read out one message and scrolled a little lower down.

"Is he okay? I'm worried, he  began whining like a sad puppy when I just tried to get to the toilet today..."

"Baekhyun, do you know if Chanyeol ate? He came and brought me his sandwich. When I checked his bag I saw 2 older sandwiches in plastic bags.."

"Doesn't the smell of his own dirty socks bother him? I thought he said he was hyperosmniac."

Baekhyun then finally glances off from the screen of his phone and directly to Chanyeol judgmentally. Three pairs of eyes are now a lot more intimidating. Chanyeol's awareness of his own socks just now hit his mind and he lowered his head.

The phone was placed aside and Baekhyun began patting Chanyeol's knee comfortingly.

"Dunno what's going on with you, but you really need to put an end to it. We all see that you're going insane.. Kyungsoo freaking adores you."

"And you mentioned the scent thing before.. Have you told him what it was about?"

Jongdae joined Baekhyun's comforting tone, but instead of patting Chanyeol, it was Sehun's head recieving all the love and attention.

 


It was quiet for a little while and then Chanyeol shook his head, almost ashamed, well, really ashamed actually. Because he knows ignoring it doesn't mean it doesn't have the possibility of happening.

"I can't... I hate it so much. Kyungsoo doesn't deserve this--..."

"Then just tell him already. Whatever it is you're clearly having trouble with.. You know you got us even with your stinking socks."

Jongdae spoke with such confidence, and his tone was so reassuring that Chanyeol nearly felt determinded to do it before remembering what it was all about. 

They are correct, of course, they always are. Chanyeol's just being a coward. A coward that puts the life of a person he's in love with, in danger. The worst type of coward. Sometimes Chanyeol wonders why they are even his friends at all.

"Even with my stinking socks.."

He mumbled to himself before shoving his feet towards Jongdae and Sehun's direction, making them both squirm away with shouts and whines before they all began laughing. The mood was lifted.

Chanyeol felt like with this sort of backup and encouragement he can really do anything. Kyungsoo needs to know it too.  He needed to know it months ago already. But he ended up suffocating his boyfriend instead of being his breath of relief.

Even though nobody other than himself, not even Baekhyun Jongdae and Sehun, know what this whole stressful thing is about, they still support him and try to help in any way they can. Kyungsoo tried more than all.

It's a lot more scary to think about it with Kyungsoo around. It makes the sense of fear so much greater.

"It'll be okay man. After you tell him you gotta tell us as well though."

Baekhyun said a little after they calmed, smacking his hand on Chanyeol's back while smiling at him. It isn't an offer for a deal like Baekhyun often does.. They all just genuinely care and want to know what's the reason Chanyeol was so messed up for so long.

"Fine. I will. Not today though, Kyungsoo deserves a small break from my bull."

"Ahhh, our Chanyeol has grown up so much--!"

Baekhyun claimed dramatically, placing his hand on his chest and swaying sideways towards Jongdae for the extra effect of emotions. Jongdae caught up to his wave right away and swayed the other way, flipping a hand over his own forehead.

"I can't believe he finally finished going through puberty!"

"Yah, you two are literally half a year older than me, calm your ."

Chanyeol dismissed their act, but laughed anyway at their display of.. well, a family. Baekhyun and Jongdae really are his family by now. And Sehun is.. well, the new puppy? Maybe.

 


The two taller ones stayed in the others' dorm until they had to actually begin their day. The fact that exams were over doesn't mean people don't have things to do. Chanyeol himself needed to work today as well.

He had to remind himself a few times during the day to not bother Kyungsoo. If it was a normal day he'd be sending Kyungsoo texts almost non stop. Asking what he's doing, how he's feeling.. And although he really wants to know, he needs to show restraint.

Kyungsoo would have always answered. Patiently, fairly quickly as well, but Chanyeol knew it must have made him feel weird. He was simply overprotective. On the negative side of over.

When stepping out of the store after his shift, the smell of roasted marshmellows hit his nose. After looking around while walking through the campus towards his dorm, he saw a bit of smoke coming from one of the tiny balconies in the freshmen's dorm building.

Man, university dorm life is crazy. It's similar to college except people give a lot less about anything other than their own needs and wishes.

Only after exiting the shower and resting in bed Chanyeol took up his phone. He hasn't touched it all day to avoid feeling the urge the text Kyungsoo. He was extremely surprised to find a text from Kyungsoo.

"Chanyeolie? I'm sorry for not seeing you today.. Are you doing well? good luck at work."

He read out loud to himself, imagining these words being said in his boyfriend's voice before a grin took over his entire face. With a chuckle of a warm heart he rang up to Kyungsoo. It was answered after merely three rings.

"Hey."

It was quiet for a little while, and he heard Kyungsoo's mattress' springs creak, which means he probably rolled over on his bed.

"How're you doing?"

"Surviving..."

Chanyeol chuckled softly, and he heard Kyungsoo release a breath on the other side of the line. He probably held it back for a while out of nervousness.

"I missed you today."

"...Me too, Chanyeolie."

It was obvious by his tone that he feels regretful for rejecting Chanyeol's visit today, and also that he's most likely blushing.

"I want to talk with you Kyungsoo. About something really important.. Don't worry, it isn't about our relationship."

"Will you finally tell me why you're so nervous and anxious all the time?"

"Yes. I will. Could I come over tomorrow?"

"Mmhm."

"Alright. Goodnight, love ya."

"Love you too."

 

--

 

There he was again, in front of the Do's apartment door. His heart was conflicted. On one hand he can already feel the relief spreading through his body from the thought of finally letting go of this ticking bomb of knowledge.

But on the other hand he still has this anxious feeling of fear, that at the moment the truth will be out in the air, it'll become a second round of reality hitting him right in the face. He doesn't want that.

At the moment the door was opened in front of him, Chanyeol grinned, seeing Kyungsoo standing there in his pajamas. The strong scent flew right up his nose, but it didn't stop him from stepping close and holding the other tightly between his arms.

"Good morning Chanyeolie."

"Morning."

He pulled apart and leaned his head in, planting an affectionate peck on Kyungsoo's forehead, which was welcomed with a calm smile of approval.

Although the apartment was empty, Kyungsoo's bed was still their main hangout location in the mornings, so even though they could easily sit down and spread on the couches, they automatically entered the bedroom instead.

They just sat there and spoke for a while, of course Kyungsoo apologizes yet again and Chanyeol had to convince him that he made the right decision in pushing him away, and of course Chanyeol ended up telling Kyungsoo about the raid on Baekhyun and Jongdae's room.

The longer time passes, the harder it is for Chanyeol to remain calm while the strong scent keeps lighting up the warning bulb in his head. At first he was relaxed, sitting with ease and allowing Kyungsoo to play with his fingers.

Now he sits there with his foot tapping on the floor and his palm gripping a little tight to his own knee while biting his own lip. Kyungsoo is quiet as well. He can tell Chanyeol's reaching his limit again.

"Alright.. That's enough. What is it? What'd you wanna talk about? You're getting all stressed again and it makes me nervous too..."

Kyungsoo admitted after a bit of silence, and Chanyeol couldn't do anything but nod in a sort of apology and unclench his tight hold.

"You know I have hyperosmia."

"Yes."

"And I told you that you have the scent of something I loved.."

"Yes."

Chanyeol's eyes are deep in Kyungsoo's for a while. Silence spreads in the room, Kyungsoo is being careful and attentive and Chanyeol is being a weakling.

"When I was growing up, I always knew I could smell things really well. I used to be extremely close with my mom. Always by her side... As a child, later as a teen, and then as a highschool student."

Kyungsoo nods, he's listening with every bit of his essence, and Chanyeol is extremely grateful that Kyungsoo's heart is so wide.

"She was always healthy and happy. Really, the best. Working hard and doing her best for my sister and me. I could detect where my mom was from really far away simply because I could smell her..."

Chanyeol's eyes now ended the shared stare at Kyungsoo to turn downwards onto nothing in particular. Shortly after, Kyungsoo's hand grabbed onto his palm and began gently.

"When I was in highschool--... Only a few days before finishing eleventh grade.. I returned home and.. I found her there. On the floor. She was unconscious and our glass flower vase was shattered by her side-- hah.. Just like how I found you."

His voice is shaking a little and although he can't bring himself to make eye contact with Kyungsoo right now because he'd probably begin crying, he can feel Kyungsoo's hands are tightening onto his palm and slightly pulling him in.

"She passed away the very next day in the hospital-- from a sudden violent attack of a brain tumor that nobody knew she had. And she--.... you--.."

Now his voice really cracked. Tears blurring his eyes and slowly dropping down on Kyungsoo's sheets. Chanyeol's body was shaking lightly and his breathing slow, trying to battle the inflation of emotions filling up his quick pacing heart.

"Kyungsoo--.. The reason I was so attached to my mom's scent wasn't because I liked hers--.. It was because I was smelling the tumor the entire time-- and you--..."

Arms are slowly wrapping around his head and shoulders, pulling his body into a protective warm embrace. Burrying his face into Kyungsoo's chest. 

Fingers are slowly trailing over his scalp between the locks of hair and Chanyeol's struggling not to squeeze Kyungsoo too tight in return.

"You smell just like that--.. You smell the same as her... The same as the tumor-- gh.."

He couldn't help it, and now his hold around Kyungsoo's waist is tightening uncontrollably, he can tell Kyungsoo is probably uncomfortable, but he doesn't say a word to try and stop Chanyeol anyway.

"I'm sorry.. Chanyeolie.. I'm sorry."

Chanyeol feels Kyungsoo's soft lips repeatedly leaving kisses on his head. His tears have ceased, but he still feels very overwhelmed from the whole situation. Finally, the truth is out. Finally the possibility of it happening is known.

A huge stone has been lifted from the weight on his heart. A stone he very well knew existed, but always pretended was not there. Even Baekhyun and Jongdae don't know that fact about Chanyeol's 'superpower'.

"Kyungsoo--.. I don't want to lose you... The first time I talked to you I wanted to warn you--.. to let you know what danger you might be in..."

"Chanyeol, it's alrigh--"

"No, it isn't. What if now is already too late... What if I waited even a little longer and it would have happened already--..."

"Stop. You're scaring me Chanyeol. I'm fine.. Alright? See, I'm right here.."

Kyungsoo's hands were very soothing and comforting, rubbing on Chanyeol's back and head with affection and security.

"I'll get checked."

Chanyeol finally raised his head away from the warmth of Kyungsoo's chest and looked up at him, wet big eyes. He must look extreemly miserable, because Kyungsoo smiled at him sadly immediately and pecked his lips.

"I will. I promise. So let's relax now.."

He then recieved another kiss on his forehead this time, and pulled his entire body closer to Kyungsoo's. Hugging him strong and firm, like a precious treasure that'll fall apart if he lets go of him.

"Thank you for telling me this Chanyeolie. It must have been so hard."

"So hard..."

Kyungsoo nodded gently and ran his fingers through Chanyeol's hair from behind. His breathing pattern was really calm and peaceful compared to Chanyeol, and the taller knew that there are no more walls to hold up.

No more layers of stress, no more obsessive protectiveness, no need to continue smothering Kyungsoo with his worries.

Although the scent was still there, stronger than ever and always distracting, Chanyeol felt hopeful. Like he was early enough to save Kyungsoo from the fate that might be waiting for him. Maybe he wouldn't have to deal with a second tragedy.

 


After Chanyeol managed to calm himself down thanks to Kyungsoo's kindness and care, they spent the day watching low quality comedy movies and taking over the apartment's kitchen with experiments involving a lot of sugar and flour.

Without even trying to convince Kyungsoo to do anything, he already reassured Chanyeol at least four times that he'd go get himself checked the very next day. Every time he heard Kyungsoo say it his heart felt lighter.

They settled on an agreement that Chanyeol will be allowed to continue sticking to Kyungsoo the same way as before, until the moment the results arrive. Although both of them knew that there's a chance it'll get much worse in the worst case scenario.

Although Chanyeol's pressure was mostly relieved after all these years of hiding the truth, he was still worried and hesistant to leave Kyungsoo that evening. 

Leaning into the kiss longer, warmer, deeper, his big hands feeling Kyungsoo's entire body up and holding him close, while his boyfriend's fingers also seemed to be enjoying threading through Chanyeol's hair and over his back.

Eventually they parted, Chanyeol regretting it immediately when he saw just how plump and kiss swollen Kyungsoo's lips became. He wants to dive right into them again, but he knows there are more important things to pay attention to and worry about.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo refused to allow Chanyeol to join him for the checking and exmaination process in the hospital the next day. He updated through texts how he told his mother about the whole story, and how annoying the tests themselves are. Taking blood several times and going through some X-rays.

"He'll be fine through the checks Chanyeol, you can at least put your phone down you know."

Sehun finally grabbed his attention from the device he's been staring at for the past hour. Although no new messages arrived Chanyeol couldn't remove his eyes from the open conversation with Kyungsoo.

"You know what, you're right. I know I still have premission to spam him but... you're right."

He sighed and finally placed it aside. Now free to rub both his eyes at the same time before focusing on the television screen in front of them. The classic life of a university student on vacation with no place to go. Drifting from one screen to another.

"I'm still glad you told us what this whole thing was about. Must have been hell.. I don't know why you kept it in for so long while you know we'd be fine with it.. But it's still good."

Baekhyun added, completely ignoring how invested Jongdae is in the sci-fi movie playing on the screen, and how he hit him at least three times already for being loud. It's pointless to try and keep this boy down.

"Ya'll should have spoken while it was still relevant, now shut up."

"Fine, fine. It's like, the first time I ever saw you this interested in a movie."

Sehun replied and ended the small flow of conversation that began. Chanyeol just laughed gently and let his body rest backwards on the couch, Jongdae on his right and Sehun on his left, Baekhyun for some reason is sprawled on the floor.

Things are good this way. Sure, Kyungsoo is missing, the squad isn't the same without him, but keeping Chanyeol occupied had helped him stay in focus instead of fall into a pit of anxiety like he would normally.

 


The week it took for the results to come in was very long and tiring. Although both Kyungsoo and Chanyeol were not under school related pressure, every minute of the day had the bubbling undertone of fear and anticipation.

They did their best to ignore it. Going out a lot for walks in the sun, or dragging the rest of the squad with them to play some bowling together. They even went to an actual restaurant on the weekend, wearing their most formal casual attires just to try and fit in.

Chanyeol fought really hard to pay the bill for their meal, but Kyungsoo always found ways to get what he wants somehow. At the end of their evening the waiter didn't even offer them the bill, suspiciously, Chanyeol questioned the poor worker who ended up admitting Kyungsoo had already paid.

Knowing the answer will be coming on monday morning, they used the weekend as their little gateaway. 

After the restaurant they may or may have not drank a little too much booze. And they may or may have not woken Sehun up at four in the morning because of how loudly Chanyeol's bed kept creaking.

They had to lure him out of his room with a promise of pancakes the next morning. It was hilarious to see his reaction to the marks coating both their necks.

Kyungsoo's scent lingered even after he left to prepare for the revalation the next day. It was all over Chanyeol's sheets and pillows. That night Chanyeol slept better than he had in years, even though when he woke up the anxiety returned.

 

--

 

It was Kyungsoo's mother who opened the door for him on monday morning. A little startled, Chanyeol gave her the usual warm hug and made his way inside. The smell of chopped wood and blueberries flowing through the apartment.

"He's really nervous.. The papers are right here, but he wouldn't come out."

"Ahh.. I understand. I'll get him here Mrs.Do."

Chanyeol knocked lightly on Kyungsoo's door in the rythm that they both subconsciously knew belonged only to each other, and a moment later the door flung open.

Kyungsoo stood there nervously, hugging around his own body, visible dark circles under his eyes. Chanyeol's heart came out to him, and with a quick motion his scared boyfriend was pulled into a hug. 

"Let's do it."

"Mmh.."

The three of them, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Kyungsoo's mother, sat around the little dining table near the kitchen and stared at the shaking hands of the nervous boy trying to tear open the envelope.

"Hey, breathe."

"Whatever it may be, at least we will know about it, and we could treat it quickly before anything happens honey."

Chanyeol nodded eagerly to agree with his almost adoptive mother, and finally the paper got torn and Kyungsoo's fingers pulled out a folded file with a heavy breath.

"..Patient Do Kyungsoo... uhm.... After thorough examinations... Blood test.... uh..."

His eyes were running over the lines of text on the paper shakingly, reading out bits and pieces, his hands trembling just as much, and Chanyeol could easily sense just how fast his boyfriend's heart was beating inside his chest.

In an attempt to ease the unstable movements of the paper, Chanyeol placed his palm over Kyungsoo's hand. Looking at him seriously, anticipation and worry bubbling strongly in his stomach, the same as Kyungsoo's mother.

"We'd like to inform you that the final result of your tests is negative."

 


The way the three of them cried over the little table that morning was ridiculous. Laughing and sobbing, holding onto each other so tightly between the sniffles and drops of tears staining the tablecloth.

It's negative. Kyungsoo's trully healthy. He's not in danger.

Chanyeol felt like he could just spread his arms and fly up into the sky from happiness and relief.

After the emotional and happy lunch the three ate together, Chanyeol nearly slammed Kyungsoo's bedroom door close after getting in, pushing Kyungsoo down onto the bed with as much enthusiasm as he was pulled to the bed by Kyungso himself.

They kissed. Over and over again. Eating one another up while struggling to catch on air in between. Their bodies and limbs entirely intertwined with each other.

The ending arrived only after Kyungsoo began giggling. Giggles turned into chuckles, and into a soft laughter and then the two couldn't even remain hugging because of how hard they laughed.

Holding onto their stomachs and heaving between the resurfacing tears of happiness, Kyungsoo leaned in and kissed Chanyeol again with a smile.

They're safe. They're happy. They're here for a long time.

 


To break the news to Baekhyun and Jongdae they just barged into their room in the evening, grabbing whatever noisy items they found at the dorm and slamming them together in some sort of annoying celebration ritual.

They were more than thrilled to join the party that carried out all the way through the dorm hallway, causing other students to somehow follow along regardless of having no idea what the reason of celebration is.

Kyungsoo treated everyone to delivered sushi, and to warm loving hugs.

 

--

 

A sudden thud on the table right in front of him startled Chanyeol, and he jumped a little while turning to see Kyungsoo seating himself down on the chair beside him.

Without a word Kyungsoo simply gestured towards the object on the table. It's an old looking paper bag with handles that has something quite heavy inside. From the measure of the thud on the table that is.

"What is..."

"Go on. Smell it."

Kyungsoo commanded, his hand still held towards the bag while his eyes are on Chanyeol's.

Chanyeol shrugged lightly and pulled the bag closer to him, looking into it, he saw a small metal container that seems to be molded shut quite tightly, except it has a tiny hole in the middle of the lid. 

It's impossible to look inside, so Chanyeol just gives it a short sniff, dropping the object down on the table in surprise.

"It smells just like y---"

"Yes, just like me. You know what that is?"

"No clue. I think I saw this before though."

Chanyeol mumbled. Dumbfounded by the discovery, he looked at Kyungsoo with curious wide eyes and furrowed brows while his fingers lifted the item again and began turning and trailing it around in his hands.

"I found it earlier this morning in my closet behind the clothes. I can't really smell anything from it.. But I asked my mom what it was."

"In your closet?"

"Apparently it's some sort of.. uh.. 'Charm' that she bought in an old garage sale years ago."

Chanyeol's eyes grew even wider.

"A garage sale? Could it have been on this address..?"

"Maybe, why?"

"This.. I think this could have been my mom's...?"

Now it was Kyungsoo's eyes growing wide. They just stared at each other silently. Frozen in shock, and neither could say a word for at least a minute, until Chanyeol placed the container down on the table again.

This.. Changes everything. If this item really was the source of the smell this entire time.. It means Chanyeol is not the one responsible for his mother's death. It means he didn't smell any tumor, but rather a charm that's supposed to prevent it.

It means all these years he spent beating himself up over something he felt guilty over, even though he knew there was nothing he could have done, were all one big misunderstanding..? All a mistake..? 

He subconsciously tortured himself this entire time over... over this...?

"Keep it or throw it?"

Kyungsoo cut Chanyeol's spiraling line of thoughts, resting a hand on his shoulder and looking deeply into his now focusing eyes. 

Should he keep this charm? It's probably the only physical memory other than pictures that he'd have left of his mother. But this charm has turned into a curse over the years.. So maybe throwing it away would help Chanyeol start a blank new page again.

"I'll take care of it."

With a nod Chanyeol placed the item back into the paper bag. He stood up and began walking towards the door to leave the Do residence.

"What will you do?"

"I think someone would be happy to get this charm."

After a soft parting kiss with Kyungsoo, Chanyeol made his way out to the cold winter wind. Large steps lead him to the postal office where he quickly went through the lines and began writing the message to the reciever of this peculiar gift.

 

[ 'Hey there big sister, how are you doing in england...

. . . .

A precious friend gave me a charm from mom. I'm sure you'll find better use for it than me.

Miss you! -Chanyeol' ]

 


Chanyeol is a very peculiar young man. He knows that.

He also knows that sometimes it's not that bad to walk around with stinking socks, or smell the awful oily barbecue from the balcony of the freshmen dorm building.

He knows now that his boyfriend's true scent is much better than an old charm.

It's a scent that's good enough. Way better than his closest friends. 

Kyungsoo smells like a new home, a fresh start, and a hint of cocoa; the best remedy for the abnormality he's learned to live with. 

Or rather, superpower.