Chapter 1

Nose Bomb

 


Chanyeol is a very peculiar young man. He knows that. 

He knows that because he has to deal with it every single day.

For the past years, after his senior year in highschool began, he made himself believe that he could live a peaceful life. A life that doesn't include the unavoidable burden of his abnormality.

It actually worked for a while. Although he was still sensitive to many things.

He was able to finish highschool, college, and even got himself into university with determination and hard work. Snatching himself a job as a part timer in the little market within the university's grounds.

Things are going well. He's doing really good so far; Balancing working, studying, and even sliding some social activities in between. By social activities he means mostly hanging out with his classmates in one of their dorm rooms and playing games together. Downing some beers here and there.

Baekhyun and Jongdae are his hometown childhood friends who somehow ended up together with him throughout their lives. It wasn't even a surprise to any of them when they revealed which university each of them will be attending after finishing college. 

Now, standing and wiping a few crumbs off of the counter by his assigned cash register at the market, he still remembers it like it happened yesterday.

They decided to meet up at their favourite cafe near Jongdae's house. After a count to three they all slammed their university papers on the table, examining each other's before bursting into a fit of laughter that made even a few of the other customers crack a chuckle.

 


Chanyeol was alright. He really was. Except that he hates being assigned to this register because the floor still smells of the tomato sauce one of the drunk students spilled all over the area more than a year ago, trying to purchase it.

And the snack station is located just a little bit too close to his spot, so the smell of that one chocolate piece that fell behind the shelf and began rotting gave him a headache.

He also hates how the apron he's forced to wear smells so obviously like some unhealthy concoction of cleaning products, and how that odor stuck to his clothes after every shift. And his hands smelled like money.

Whatever. It's alright, he's done with his shift soon, and things always get better after he takes his shower. Funny enough, although Chanyeol is pretty sensive, he didn't mind sharing a room and even the shower with his lanky roommate Sehun. 

 


Chanyeol has hyperosmia.

Which means his sense of smell is beyond the norm. He smells everything, all the time, and he smells it strong.

It's not anything new, Chanyeol was simply born this way. Or at least he thinks he was, there is nobody to ask for a fact check. Unfortunately, Chanyeol is alone. 

That's... not entirely true, because he could try and ask his older sister, but she has been living in england for years now and there's little to no chance she'd be able to know.

But there are no more family members to ask. Not after Chanyeol finished highschool.

Other than his sister, the only two who know about his 'superpower' or so they choose to call it, are Baekhyun and Jongdae. Through the years they've learned how to identify and understand Chanyeol's different types of behaviours in reaction to different smells.

Chanyeol has definitely grown a lot. In the past, especially after highschool, he had become aggressive and hostile. Pushing any sort of contact away from him. He avoided interacting with people as much as he could, keeping to himself.

Only thanks to the help of the pair he was able to become a human again after what happened.

Now Chanyeol has gotten over himself, it's been years and along with his physical growth he experienced mental growth. He learned how to filter the sensory overload and not allow it to cross into the emotional side of the brain.

 


His shift is over, and Chanyeol thanks the shop owner with a smile before hanging the apron in the workers' room, grabbing his backpack, and leaving the place through the store's main exit.

The air outside is crisp and dry, and there are soft waves of wind that smell like different oily foods are being fried somewhere in the campus. A normal person would have began drooling right now, but Chanyeol just wants to get as far away from it as possible.

By the time he gets to his dorm room he finds Sehun snacking on dried banana chips sprawled on their couch. Ah.. the familiar scent of.. well, home. And bananas.

"You look like ."

Sehun commented a moment after Chanyeol took off his shoes, giving him a glance with a raised eyebrow and offering the bag of chips in Chanyeol's direction.

"Thanks. Some is frying garbage in the campus again. Good thing the wind blows away from our windows today."

Chanyeol shook his head to his roommate, refusing the kind offer of a snack because it'd be disgusting to insert anything his money smelling hands touch into his mouth. Instead, he grabbed himself a plastic bottle of some yogurt health juice from the fridge, emptied it in three large gulpes and threw the remains in their recycling bin by the sink.

 


From time to time, at the quiet darkness of the night in his bed, Chanyeol wonders if he'll be alone forever. With his sensitivity it's already extremely difficult to get close to people. He can stand mingling with acquaintances and be surrounded by people. In fact he is pretty popular around campus for his friendly playful charm. And his appearance, of course.

But when he lies in bed and tries to imagine his own future he sees nothing. It's blank, void, and the only thing he gets from attempting to find a goal in life is a headache.

Will he always be alone? Will he ever find a person who's scent would make him feel at home rather than feel like running back home?

Baekhyun and Jongdae are close contestants, even Sehun is starting to ease into his senses. 

Baekhyun for example, always smells like fruity perfumes. Sometimes peach, sometimes orange, maybe a pomelo from time to time.
Jongdae on the other hand smells like soap and earth. Maybe it's his shaving cream, but Jongdae always gives off a clean vibe and something warm.
Sehun... Well, Sehun smells like their laundry detergent and hair that is a little damp after washing it with shampoo.

None of these are bad of course, Chanyeol wouldn't have become their close friend if they had anything else surround them. But none of them are good enough either. 

Staring at his dark ceiling in silence, Chanyeol decides like every time to just let the subject go and focus on the present. Everything is fine. He's happy, he's content, he's always busy and never lonely.

Except... Maybe he is a little lonely. Maybe some body warmth between his arms and against his abdomen would help him sleep better at night. Maybe filling his large palms with someone else's would help him calm down when breathing gets overwhelming for him.

He has a lifetime to find the perfect candidate. Such things shouldn't bother him when he knows exam season is approaching rapidly.

 

--

 

Unlike yesterday, today's morning is a lot hotter. A little more difficult for Chanyeol to handle since there's a higher chance for sweat to stick to people's skin.

Already joined by his two best friends to his right, who are fighting about who's turn it would be to do the laundry in their own dorm room, Chanyeol just tries his best to stay calm. Even while passing through the bunch of university athletes standing in the hall and preparing for their morning run with sports clothes that have clearly not been washed properly.

"You little--... Chanyeol, tell him!!"

Baekhyun suddenly clung to his arm, pointing towards Jongdae's direction like a kid asking his mother to scold another in the playground. 

"Yaaah! Whyyyy are you being like this Baekhyun..!! Come oooon! You know it's your turn this week so stop being such a baby!"

Jongdae retaliated with his usual whines and grabbed onto Baekhyun's shoulders, shaking him with a pout until the other finally gave up on using his puppy eyes and started laughing.

"Fine. Chanyeol, you were terrible help, I hope you reflect on the way you view our friendship from now on. Not sure I can forgive this betrayal."

Baekhyun immediately released his arm and waved his hand dismissively in his way, making Chanyeol roll his eyes before a smug smile formed on his lips.

"No friendship with me means no discounts on your drug."

"Hey, it's not a drug! I mean.. I might be addicted to that energy drink.. But it doesn't mean I can't live without it."

Baekhyun flashed him a mock hurt expression, but Jongdae was having none of it.

"Sure. It's not like you ended up crying over the kitchen counter after you saw there were none in the fridge."

"Okay, wow, , you two are ganging up on me? I won't stand this slander!"

Baekhyun hopped ahead on their path, turning back and poking his tongue out while flipping his middle fingers at their direction. He then quickly turned back and hurried his steps down the hall and into the classroom with a satisfied grin.

"Yah!! Come back here you bastard--! Chanyeol, see ya in class."

Jongdae called out after the other had went ahead and parted from Chanyeol with an exchange of nods and a chuckle.

 


Chanyeol ceased in his steps and let out a small sigh, standing in the middle of the roaming crowd of students hurrying to different directions of the university grounds. It's pretty noisy and lively, since it's the second session of classes in the day and not the early ones.

From his left side Chanyeol hears a particularly loud hurl of laughter shared between a group of girls standing by the wall. One thing is for sure, girls in university are all beautiful. Even when wearing pajamas and lacking at least a week worth of sleep, somehow Chanyeol finds them stunning.

Lost in thoughts about the difference between his own pajamas and usual daily attire and how similar they are, a strong scent suddenly shut off his brain.

His entire body jerked where he stood and with panic his eyes began running around his location to try and find the culprint. It can't be...

It took a moment, but Chanyeol thinks he found the source. A boy with short black hair, big glasses and an all-black outfit that just passed behind him towards the group of laughing girls standing by the wall.

It can't be. It's impossible. There's no way someone will be able to emit this scent.

Chanyeol's eyes were glued on the boy's small figure, watching how he easily slid himself by the chattering group to stand in front of a locker. Now turning sideways, Chanyeol had a better view of him.

He was holding a few books in his arms, seems like he just finished early morning lessons and is about to move on to another class. It must be a mistake. It just doesn't make any sense.

Chanyeol carefully attached himself to the corner of the wall, hidden from the boys' sight but peeking out on him suspiciously. He heard a few students around him asking themselves questions like 'What is he doing..?' or 'That's one way to stalk on the girls..'

Fools, they'll never know that he couldn't care less about girls, let alone bother stalking them while he isn't interested in them one bit. Who cares what they think, what's important is to confirm if this boy really carries the scent he just detected.

Watching him secretively from behind the wall like that lasted for a very short time, because after only a minute the bell began ringing to signal the start of second classes period, and the boy was gone before Chanyeol could catch sight of him between the rushing students.

Chanyeol gradually forgot about the boy and his scent as the day stretched longer. It was just his mind playing tricks on him, for sure.

 


It wasn't. His mind wasn't playing tricks on him. The next day on his way back to the dorm after parting with his pair of goofy friends at the library, he smelled it again. It was strong and obvious, not something he can ignore.

Chanyeol saw him then, the boy, walking a few meters ahead of him with a slightly taller guy by his side. They were headed towards the cafeteria. Chanyeol despises going there, from obvious smell reasons. Even if he's starting to worry, there's no chance he'd risk his own well being for a random stranger.

It was terrible. The days kept passing by and the so did the boy. Everytime Chanyeol would sense him around he'd glue his entire span of attention to him. Never being spotted or even seen by him. Chanyeol's heart couldn't take it for much longer.

He saw the boy daily now, and with each unexpected encounter with the scent Chanyeol felt a little worse for keeping silent. One day was outside under a tree, another was at the cooking books section in the university's library, one more at the enterance to the teachers' lounge, and even by the toilets.

Chanyeol was haunted by it. While being the one chasing it himself.

Eventually Baekhyun and Jongdae caught up and noticed something was wrong, Chanyeol started losing his mood a lot quicker and didn't pay any attention to their conversations while hanging out at their room.

They tried to pry and find out what's wrong, but Chanyeol didn't even know how to begin explaining that there's a boy whose smell is driving him mad.

A while had passed, but it seems like nothing has changed for the boy. Chanyeol sees him every day around the campus. He sees him and sometimes even follows after him. Watching over him with tension building in his chest. 

If anything, looks like things are getting better for him even. Slowly he gathered a bunch of fellow students around him who Chanyeol assumed are his friends. He's doing fine. He's happy and laughing and smiling while strolling around.

Chanyeol's chest does not unclench even when seeing the boy is perfectly fine.

 


That's it. Chanyeol has had enough. It's gotten to the point where Chanyeol can't even focus on studying because of his growing worries about the boy and his lingering scent. A scent that rang an alarm bell inside Chanyeol's head. The alarm is still going ever since.

Chanyeol stood up abruptly, making his chair drag loudly against the floor of their dorm's kitchen. Good thing Sehun isn't there, because the noodle would panic and try to stop him from whatever it is he plans to do.

He knows it since he can feel the intense way his muscles are pulsing on his forehead because of his furrowed brows. This has to end.

He left his books and papers and summaries on the table in a mess after trying to study from them, but clearly he couldn't register a single line into his brain.

With long quick steps Chanyeol made his way through the campus, looking around almost frantically, trying to catch a glimpse of the familiar scent that would lead him to the boy he tries to find.

After about ten minutes of searching Chanyeol found the boy standing and talking with a few friends by his locker. He's smiling.. Ah.. That's kind of cute. Wait, no, stop, Chanyeol came here on a mission and he's going to accomplish it right now no matter what.

While taking a deep breath Chanyeol made his way through the students and located himself behind the boy. Towering above him while his friends all turn their heads to him with confusion. Chanyeol felt his heart thumping a little.

"Hey. Uhm. Can I talk to you for a moment?"

The boy turned around as well and Chanyeol felt like maybe he's a little too threatening to the small one, especially after seeing his big eyes raising up to Chanyeol's behind the glasses with obvious surprise.

"Sure..?"

Chanyeol took a few steps back, further away from the bunch of guys who surrounded the scented boy before, and he saw how regardless of their pretty massive height and size difference, there was no sign of fear on the boy's face.

"Listen.. Uhm.. Okay, I know it will sound like, really really weird. Not gonna blame you if you think that, but.. uh..."

His big round eyes are looking directly into Chanyeol's with curiousity and wow.. How old is he even? Because he definitely looks younger than whatever age is normal for people to enter university at. Or maybe it's just because his lips are so pink and plump that it makes Chanyeol a little too nervous to stay in focus.

"It's not like you stink or anything, yeah..?"

Oh. Wrong choice of words. All the adorable innocence of wonder on the boy's face has transformed into a pouty impatient frown. No, No. Chanyeol can't lose now, he has to tell him. But the voice just wouldn't come out.

"Dude, what the hell. I just showered. If you have a problem with how I smell you can simply stay away from me."

"No-- it's not what I meant--"

Fearless, the boy spoke sharply at his words and turned around to head back to his questioning friends, leaving Chanyeol in the middle of the hall feeling like he was just stung by something.

 

--

 

"Chanyeol? What are you doing here?"

Jongdae voice suddenly came behind him, he heard his steps making the way around the bench and the content inside Jongdae's bag getting squished as she sat down next to him.

"Jongdae.. He didn't even listen to me.."

"Uh... I'll pretend I know what you're talking about."

Chanyeol sighed and leaned foreward, elbows on his knees while his hands cling together to a fist that holds his head up.

"Dude, you look heavier than the history professor, you know which one I'm talking about. It's almost midnight. What's up?"

"There's this kid that smells.. really strongly okay, and I tried to talk to him but I'm stupid and he went away."

"Hold on, say that again after I press the record button."

Jongdae pulled his cellphone out of the pocket and pressed it closer to Chanyeol's face. Recieving a pretty cold glare in return that made him slide it away just as fast.

"I'm not really up to date with the students body but Baekhyun will probably know if you give him a description or something. You should get back though, how many hours have you sat here? There's actual dust on your pants."

Chanyeol let out yet another sigh and agreed to follow Jongdae's suggestion. Stretching his arms widely once he stood up, and sipping on the water bottle his friend managed to insert into his palm. 

 


The next morning while avoiding to read another page of his essey, Chanyeol decided to meet up with Baekhyun and Jongdae again at the local coffee shop within the university's grounds. Two spots away from the market where he works.

When he entered the two were already sitting there and talking about something that's being displayed in Baekhyun's phone. Before Chanyeol even sat himself down, the screen was turned towards him and his eyes glued to it naturally.

"The hell is that?"

"It's a tiny frog I saw the other day when I came back from the karaoke."

"I feel like a changed man."

"Hey, don't test your luck, I've heard you require my services today Mr. Park."

Baekhyun's tone shifted from a croaky whine into a serious low flow. His hands resting together on the table while he leans a little towards Chanyeol's seat. He almost looked convincing, if it wasn't for his bright orange shirt dismissing any hint of seriousness.

"A kid, short, small, big eyes, round glasses.. Wears mostly black, ring any bells?"

Straight to the point. Chanyeol managed to take advantage of the situation and grabbed the first bite off of the sandwich Baekhyun ordered to himself while the other was busy thinking. Jongdae almost gave his crime away with laughter but Baekhyun didn't seem concerned while his eyes focused on nothing in particular behind Chanyeol.

"Maybe...? I mean, could it be the new kid that came here in the middle of the semester?"

"Could be, cause I saw him popping around only recently."

Baekhyun's expression now shifted into something a little more sly as he locked eyes with Chanyeol. Pulling his sandwich plate closer and taking a bite, oblivious to the missing bitten piece that Chanyeol managed to, apparently, successfully consume without evidence.

"He's cute. Definitely your type. Knew it right when I saw him."

"Oh come on shut up--"

"No, really, he's a hell of a good catch. Boy's as soft as a feather."

"Baekhyun I swear to god--"

"I'll hook you up, I think my friend has math with him."

Chanyeol smacked his palm right to his face, catching Jongdae's smile and his eyebrows dancing up and down on his forehead suggestively.

These two are the worst. The worst and the best he has had in his life. Chanyeol loves them to the core of his bones and wouldn't switch them for the entire universe. His two little best friends.

Eventually he cracks a smile when the conversation continues on about subjects that are interesting enough to keep Chanyeol's mind off of the mysterious new scented boy, but not too interesting to actually bother paying any attention more than to display his humour with some snarky comments.

 


Less than a week later Baekhyun came to him with the answer, and an offer.

So the boy's name is Do Kyungsoo, he's a year younger than the three of them and he doesn't live in the university dorm but with his parents in a small apartment nearby.

An important detail given to him by Baekhyun was the fact that Kyungsoo would be coming to a small hangout of friends, which lead him to the offer. Chanyeol will be joining, as long as he pays for Baekhyun's ride back to the dorm afterwards. 

Fair deal. That's enough payment for the favour. Plus he knows Baekhyun's currently extra broke after treating Jongdae and himself to a few days trip to Jeju island for his own birthday.

Before Chanyeol could prepare himself, the weekend already knocked on his door in the form of Baekhyun wearing the most ridiculous tie dye shirt he has yet seen his friend put over his body.

They made their way to the place by foot, the evening heat clinging to the back of their necks in the form of light sweat. When they arrived, relief rushed over them when the cold conditioned air balanced their temperatures back to decency.

Apparently, they're a little late, because when they follow Baekhyun's friend into the living room the guys are already taking sips of their second beers, even if they need all the focus in the world to continue building the cards tower on the little coffee table.

Chanyeol's nose detected the boy's location way before his eyes could catch up, and he found him sitting at the corner of the couch, particularly interested in the television screen that displays some boring series about hospitals on mute. The music playing in the background is far more fun than dramatic dialogue between two doctors.

After gulping lightly and reminding himself to keep his cool, Chanyeol settled right by his side, not gaining even the slightest bit of attention from him even though his entire body shifted on the couch due to the body weight added to it.

"Hey, what'chu watching?"

Be hip with the kid Chanyeol, look at how adorably his lips rest on his face.. Look at his shining big eyes.. For a moment Chanyeol wished he would have never smelled this boy to begin with. Because he knows what faith awaits him.. And this kid certainly does not deserve any of it.

"Uh.. I don't really know honestly. A show about doctors or something."

The guy replied absentmindedly and Chanyeol watched how his expression began changing at the moment his head turned and he realized the man sitting by his side is Chanyeol.

"Alright, calm down now.. Sorry about last time. My name's Chanyeol. May I try again?"

It took him a while of eyeing Chanyeol suspiciously, but eventually the scented boy just smiled lightly and approved with a nod.

"Kyungsoo. Do I smell better today for you?"

"You never smelled anything other than good.. Really."

Seems he liked it, because Kyungsoo graced Chanyeol with a short chuckle and the exclusive view of his fingers reaching upwards to fix the frame of his glasses back in place. Chanyeol would have never guessed they weren't in place. Everything about Kyungsoo looks like it's in place. Just right.

"Alright. You may. Try again, that is."

Somehow everything fit together pretty well. Their conversation had a pleasant flow. A balance between subjects they're enthusiastic about, pure shallow jokes about their friends failing at whatever game they were playing, and many comforting smiles.

Kyungsoo felt.. Familiar. Kyungsoo felt like home. He smelled like home, too. And suddenly Chanyeol doesn't really feel so comfortable anymore.

At least they were buddies now, somehow, because by the time Chanyeol rang up an uber for himself and pretty much out of this world drunk Baekhyun, he already had Kyungsoo's number and vice versa.