게임 하자.

게임 하자. (Let's Play A Game.)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

게임 하자.

 

 

The first-time Lee Chaeyoung ever noticed ‘her’ was at the internet café. It was a well maintained and affordable internet café that happened to be conveniently located for many schools in the area, hence its popularity amongst students. Chaeyoung was never one to go to the internet café often, as her friends had always preferred the karaoke over games. But, it just wasn’t possible for them to be singing everyday either so occasionally they would drop by the internet café instead. People her age never tend to be motivated enough to be studying all the time, so it was quite common to see students from a variety of schools there playing various computer games. However, only one student ever caught Chaeyoung’s attention. This student would occupy the same area of the internet café with her friends every time – as far as Chaeyoung was aware. It became a habit for Chaeyoung’s eyes to wander to that corner whenever she would visit. There was never a time that ‘she’ wasn’t sitting there with a bright smile on her face. Many times, Chaeyoung would ponder as to whether she should try approaching the girl but she would soon find herself intimidated by all the male friends the girl had.

 

Now that the first half of the school year was nearing its end, Chaeyoung feels somewhat annoyed at herself for still not being able to even figure out the girl’s name. She didn’t even manage to hear it in passing the many times she casually passed the girl’s area, nor did she ever get a glance of the girl’s nametag whenever they would be wearing their uniform properly. The only good news Chaeyoung managed to get her hands on during these few months was the fact that they attended the same school.

 

Chaeyoung sighed and lightly shoved her mouse out of frustration at the thoughts that were flooding her, “What the hell is her name?” she hissed to herself.

 

“Yah, did you die again?”

 

That wasn’t the reason for her sudden outburst but it was the best way to explain it to her friends, so she accepted quickly. “Yeah I did…” she said with a small chuckle. She immediately glanced up from her screen, knowing that there was time before her hero revived and saw ‘her’. The girl must’ve been in the middle of a game. Her eyes were glued to the computer screen and occasionally that bright smile of hers would resurface. Chaeyoung’s eyes then started to trace the girl’s facial features out of habit. How was she so beautiful?

 

“Chaeyoung-ah! Where are you? Come help us, quick.”

 

Chaeyoung snapped out of her daze and started to click at her mouse, “Ah sure unnie.”

 

Once her mind trails off, Chaeyoung would start wondering about the smallest things about ‘her’. Would they get along? Chaeyoung was often told that she can be quite loud and ‘extra’. Normally, Chaeyoung wouldn’t care about what others thought but she sure would care a hell of a lot if were to be ‘her’. It was all too much for Chaeyoung to process, she had never felt this drawn towards someone before.

 

“Yah! Can you stop dying?”

 

Chaeyoung laughed. She really did die a lot in all of today’s games. Only now, does she realise how easy it was for her to be distracted. With the simple thought of one girl and Chaeyoung’s mind just won’t be all there anymore. It was funny, and the more she thought about it. It was hilarious.

 

The game had ended and they had obviously lost.

 

“Chaeyoung… are you okay? You’re acting strange today.”

 

Chaeyoung stood up from her seat, “Yeah I’m fine” she looked down at her friends. “I just really need to go to the toilet” she confessed with a sheepish grin.

 

The expressions of her friends went from concerned to indifference and started to playfully push her away, “Go. Get out of here.”

 

“Sorry my unnies~” Chaeyoung acted her part as the youngest until the very end. She walked off and took a glance at the corner for the nth time tonight before turning into where the toilets were. Why does ‘she’ have so many male friends, Chaeyoung thought. Did any of them like ‘her’? Did ‘she’ like any of them? Chaeyoung shook her head at the thought, this was ridiculous. Why did she even care?

 

The semester was ending. Soon, Chaeyoung won’t be hanging out with her friends as often any more. Will she even go to the internet café much during the Summer break? Once the break starts, she’ll slowly start forgetting all about ‘her’. There was no point stressing over it now if she’s only going to forget all about it by the time school starts again. It’s a waste of time. Chaeyoung nodded at her own reasoning. Don’t overthink it. It’s just a waste of time. She said those two phrases in her head repeatedly until she returned to her seat. With much difficulty, she also managed to get back to her seat without even taking a single glance at ‘the corner’.

 

“You up for one last game?”

 

Chaeyoung nodded, “Yep.”

 

“Don’t go dying on us at the most important times this round. Please.”

 

“Alright, I’ll play seriously this time” Chaeyoung assured with a laugh.

 

With that game, it was the last time they went to the internet café that semester. And, Chaeyoung still never managed to get the girl’s name.

 

And just like that, the semester ended.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Ah… why is it so hot?” Chaeyoung lazed at the bench by the convenience store with an ice block in hand. It was her fault for trusting that her friends would make it on time. The Summer break was going by faster than Chaeyoung had anticipated. She would get a headache every time she was reminded that she still had to complete the homework they were all assigned for the Summer. What made her think that it was a good idea to binge dramas during the break. It was a stupid idea.

 

“Oh! Our giant baby arrived the earliest!”

 

Chaeyoung turned her head at the familiar voice and glared at the sight of her friends immediately, “Unnie! Do you know how long I’ve waited? I am melting.”

 

“Stop being dramatic. You’re fine.”

 

“Ah!” Chaeyoung kicked her legs and flailed around, “Why are you guys always late?”

 

“Oh look, the baby is throwing a tantrum.”

 

“Jiwon-unnie!” Chaeyoung yelled back, “You’re paying for lunch today.”

 

Park Jiwon gasped at the statement, “Why me?”

 

“You were late!”

 

“Yah! I wasn’t the only one!”

 

“You were probably the reason why Saerom-unnie and Hayoung-unnie were late too!”

 

Chaeyoung had a point there. Saerom, Hayoung and Jiwon all lived close by. Chaeyoung was the one who lived away from everyone, making it easier for her to coordinate time. Whereas for the other three, Jiwon would always want to go wherever together. Then knowing how Jiwon messes around so much, Chaeyoung could bet on her life that Jiwon did something dumb on the way and made them miss a bus or something.

 

“Fine!” Jiwon gave up, “I’ll pay for lunch! Are you happy?”

 

“The shouting was completely unnecessary for that conversation” Saerom commented.

 

“She started it!” Chaeyoung and Jiwon defended simultaneously.

 

Hayoung just laughed, “There’s never a quiet moment when you’re with these two.”

 

Saerom nodded in agreement, “Let’s go. What do you guys want to eat?”

 

Due to the weather, they had suggested to eat cold noodles. Jiwon, of course, agreed to the suggestion straightaway because it was an affordable meal in comparison to some other options devil baby Chaeyoung might throw out there to make her broke. Everyone could pick up on Jiwon’s sudden undying love for cold noodles and decided to seal the deal before Chaeyoung could open again.

 

“Ok, cold noodles it is” Saerom said.

 

Jiwon was clearly the happiest person, “I’ll lead the way guys. I know a good place.”

 

Everyone followed her obediently. Not much conversation took place, it was probably the heat that made everything just that much more difficult. It was the same streets and nothing had changed while they had been hermits at home, so there wasn’t anything new with the scenery either. It was just a quiet walk in the heat and humidity. After what seemed like forever they finally arrived at the restaurant Jiwon was so excited to go to.

 

“Here we are!” Jiwon exclaimed.

 

They all entered the restaurant and sat down at the table the waitress had directed them to. Chaeyoung didn’t really take too long to decide what to order. Well, for her it didn’t really matter either way. She was planning to steal a bit of everyone’s cold noodles anyway. If they all got different types of cold noodles it would be worth it. They could just share it all. Get a taste of everything.

 

Chaeyoung, as usual, let her eyes wander as she waited for the food. There were quite a lot of people here, it must be a popular place for cold noodles. She glanced over at the cashier and saw that they had a little candy jar. It was important to take note and remember to take one or two of those candies before they left. She tried to see if she could decipher what flavours there were, until a hand blocked it all as it reached in to grab one. Chaeyoung traced the arm back and saw the one face she had hoped she could forget over the break. It was ‘her’.  

 

The girl walked back towards them – as they sat near the door –  with one of the guys that was with her at the internet café all the time. Chaeyoung’s eyes were stuck. It was hard to look away. That moment ‘she’ had swiftly walked pass their table, was the closest she’ll ever be to ‘her’. Chaeyoung heard the bell that hung on the door ring as a line that would bother her for the rest of her break slipped out of the boy’s mouth.

 

“Hey, let’s date.”

 

Chaeyoung turned around immediately upon hearing that statement, but it was too late. She couldn’t even get a glimpse of the girl’s expression. They had already left.

 

And just like that, her Summer break ended.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New classes were assigned as the new semester started and luckily Chaeyoung never really cared much for which class she ended up in. She’ll either have friends already, and if not she’ll just make new friends. It was simple. She never really understood why people made such a big deal over it. The people she hung out with the most were all in the grades above anyway.

 

Chaeyoung arrived at her new classroom and just sat at whichever seat. She was first like every other semester. It was still early, people won’t start coming in until a while. Chaeyoung lay her head on the desk and closed her eyes. Maybe she’ll just take a short nap or rest her eyes for bit. But she was shortly disturbed by the sound of the classroom door sliding open. Chaeyoung snapped her eyes open and sat up straight. Could her new homeroom teacher be just as early?

 

Oh, my god. Chaeyoung froze. It was ‘her’. They got assigned into the same class. The girl looked around before slowly walking into the classroom. Chaeyoung looked away. Did the temperature suddenly go up? Chaeyoung cupped her cheeks. They were burning. This was bad.

 

“Can I sit here?” a voice asked.

 

Chaeyoung screamed on the inside. Is that her voice? So, that’s what it sounds like.

 

“Y-yes, of course” Chaeyoung replied still avoiding eye contact.

 

Neither of them spoke for a bit before ‘her’ voice cut the silence, “Lee Chaeyoung?”

 

Chaeyoung jumped at her name, “Y-yes?” she turned to face ‘her’ for the first time and was completely taken off guard by how close they were. ‘She’ had bent over to read Chaeyoung’s nametag.

 

“You’re so pretty…” Chaeyoung breathed out as she looked down away from ‘her’ eyes. And that’s when she finally saw it. ‘Her’ name.  

 

Lee Nakyung.

 

“Sorry?”

 

“Oh, n-nothing” Chaeyoung couldn’t stop her stuttering and she hated it.

 

That was enough eye contact for the day, was what Chaeyoung wanted to say but Nakyung made it awfully hard for her during their lunch break. It wasn’t always, but there were times where she would go to the class’ of her older friends for lunch. Today she decided not to, because they were probably busy for their entrance exams so lunch break wasn’t really a lunch break for them anymore. It was a self-study session. 

 

Chaeyoung caref

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter