Taeyong Lee and Nineteen Questions

Quiet Please!

Chapter 2: Taeyong Lee and Nineteen

 

The rain outside pattered against the previously clean window. Calm music oozed out of invisible speakers attempting an ambiance of relaxation and concentration for patrons. Taeyong glanced about annoyed that those who were supposedly there for peace constantly chattered about trivial matters. He couldn’t hear the jazz selected by the workers and the rain was also beginning to drown out.

One person from her little corner of the café glanced above her book. She had really wanted to buy another drink but the line was continuously getting longer and longer with no end in sight. Her delicate thin brows knitted together in frustration. She contemplated going to another store when she saw him again. She ducked down into the confines of her book only to hit her head slightly on the wooden table below her. With a slight complaint she rubbed the center of her forehead tenderly.

Getting out of her own clumsiness she very carefully peered over her book once more. Sure enough the young man had not moved. She sighed at karmas sense of humor. She couldn’t very well get up now that she knew he was in the vicinity.

*~*~

Kid can you get off of me?” He grunted trying to sit up.

“Oh for Heaven’s sake stop calling me kid.” She exhaled finishing her pile of books.

“Well then what’s your name and why the fu** are you so strong?” He tried to sit up but his head wasn’t in the best condition to reestablish his lost equilibrium. He also wasn’t exactly fond of being flipped onto his back. The kid was scared and probably thought he was a threat.

“Language,” she reprimanded disgusted by his inappropriate choice of words. “My name is Parthenia Augustine and I’ve taken Brazilian Jujitsu since I was two.” She stood up and dusted her hands. “I also live alone so I don’t need permission from my parents to be out late, since ya’ know I’m a grown young woman.” She stood up crossing his laid out body to the other side of the book shelf.

*~*~

The memory wasn’t one she wanted to confront him with. Parthenia had to admit she was more irritable than usual last week and she also detested being called a kid. But then again those were no reasons to slam the guy onto his back. Watching him from her corner couldn’t even recall his name, then again she also never asked.

Mr. No Name sat at a round table all alone looking just as annoyed as she felt with the excess amount of people. Longingly he turned his gaze to the rain outside as if those empty wet streets were better company than loud obnoxious humans. If that was his train of thought then she whole heartedly agreed. Looking at his side profile she had to admit he was very recherché, elegant, majestic. She could go on all day describing the aura he gave off.

Yesterday she noticed he was extremely tall, compared to her anyone was tall since she was only five feet and two inches but he was just out of the norm, bizarre. He could easily be six feet maybe slightly less. Aside from his height his eyebrows were also a feature that stood out to her. They were as dark as her hair and full. Somehow he had tastefully trimmed and shaped them to be naturally straight. His jawline was sharp and angular making his face a little narrow. Then his hair, fluffier than a white cloud laid in waves parted in the center. It reminded her of milk chocolate. Without warning he turned his head back and made lasting eye contact with her. Immediately she ducked back behind her book, hitting her head again and hoping he didn’t recognize her.

Taeyong suppressed a laugh when he caught her. He wasn’t sure who she was but her antics were cute for the moment. She wasn’t all too hard to miss since she was also the only one staring at him like an insect. That seemed like the only thing enjoyable about his venture out into the world. He wanted to get home where he could hear the rain and think in peace. Sadly he didn’t bring his umbrella, the purpose of his trip was to find some inspiration so he expected to stay there until the rain stopped. But between noisy humans and getting wet he preferred the latter. So he took his tea with him and walked out. The awning of the café covered him for a moment. He stared at the ghost like street relishing in the absence of human presence. The minute he set foot out from under the awning an umbrella covered his head. Taeyong turned his head upward to find the umbrella’s metal holders were too close to his face for comfort.

“You shouldn’t walk in the rain without an umbrella,” a strangely familiar voice said from behind. He looked back and saw the same kid from the library, well not a kid but a short young lady. She stood in the rain awkwardly holding her bright yellow and white umbrella with polka dots for him. Raising one thick eyebrow at her he took the umbrella from her miniscule fingers gently and held it above him so his hair wouldn’t get caught.

“I wasn’t aware you cared so much, Ms. Augustine,” he replied sarcastically remembering all too well the body slam she had inflicted on him the week prior. “Change of heart?”

She squirmed in discomfort and stepped further into the awning, away from him. Taeyong attempted to hide a mischievous smile watching her twist this way and that. He wanted to mess with her more in order to repay her for last week but decided it was better to leave things as they were. After all they weren’t really acquainted, he was just a librarian and she a patron.

“I’m sorry,” Parthenia murmured under her breath. He could barely hear her above the rain but was able to read her lips. “I was not in the merriest moods that day. I also dislike being called a ‘kid’ so it just got me more aggravated.” She peered at him with molten light brown eyes that reminded him of caramel or even sap from the maple trees.

“You’re really honest aren’t you?” He questioned lifting a thick prominent eyebrow. She nodded wordlessly and set her eyes back onto her yellow and white umbrella.

Glancing behind him back into the café he noted that no one seemed to be making their way home. Instead the seat which he had left was now occupied by a couple cuddling cutely together. He really did want to go home and enjoy the rain without loud humans but looking down at the young lady next to him he wasn’t sure he had the heart to make her follow him home and send her away. He sighed heavily, cursing his good nature.

“Were you headed somewhere in specific?” He shrugged off the olive green bomber jacket thankful he decided to put on a long sleeve, the air was getting chilly lately. Parthenia shook her head then simultaneously started to nibble on her lower lip like a little mouse. She didn’t say anything so he took the opportunity to place the jacket around her shoulders. She was only where a thin white sweater and no jacket. Her head shot up in surprise only to be greeted by his dark brown eyes, their faces uncomfortably. Flustered she stepped back and almost tripped but caught herself on the glass window. “Are you ok?” Taeyong asked in genuine concern trying to see if there was an angle in which he could help her stand up.

“Yes I’m alright.” She pushed herself back up with a breath of relief. “Just a bit clumsy.”

“A bit,” He mumbled while in his mind believing that was quiet the understatement considering she fumbled over air. “Since you had nowhere in mind why don’t we head to the park. No one should be there.”

“Excuse me?” Her expression could be described as absolute appalment. He sighed again and shook his head.

“Relax, Princess,” He replied sarcastically, she noticed this seemed to be his specialty. “I wanted somewhere without people so I could enjoy the rain. If I was thinking less appropriate things I would have let you walk me home and asked you to come inside.”

Taeyong felt this strange satisfaction seeing her cheeks and ears light up in an array of red and pink hearing his words. So far from the very few interactions that they had he could see three things clearly. Number one she had quiet the temper. Number two she was very honest. Number three she was delightfully innocent.

“So what will it be? Either follow me home and be at the mercy of my imagination or come to the park and enjoy the rain?” He asked with a little confident smirk, he had a feeling either way they would be going to a destination together.

“I’ll take the latter. But I have a condition.” She put on the jacket he gave her while her cheeks went back to their normal color. “I want your name and I want to play twenty questions.” He burst out laughing, he couldn’t remember ever playing that sort of game with anyone. To his knowledge it was more of something others did when trying to get to know each other romantically not as a bargaining chip. But with the little information he knew about her innocence she wanted to play out of curiosity and nothing more.

“My name is Taeyong Lee,” He replied with a goofy grin. “Now you only have nineteen questions left my dear.”