-1-

On A Lazy Saturday Afternoon

Crowd of people started to fill a newly open cafe and working space in Itaewon on this sunny yet chilly Sunday. Harim found herself almost lost in the middle of these excited bunch of people. She had promised Yoongi, one of her closest friend, to watch his performance as a gift to the cafe owner, who was actually Harim's cousin. Both Yoongi and Harim's cousin even gave her a free pass to the backstage.

Harim turned her head left and right every minute, trying to find someone she knows. She literally had no company and the idea of going to the backstage somehow never really crossed her mind. She kept refusing when Sunhee, her cousin, approached to take her to the backstage. Until finally she recognized someone, a guy, familiar. That someone seemed to know Harim as well. This tall figure, fair skinned, black haired with fringe guy was coming towards Harim. Her brain worked quite hard to remember who he was. His small yet bright eyes were something. The flat expression like a stone on his face was just another thing.

"Harim noona?"

As that guy called her name, Harim finally got back to her senses. She turned her head to face the one who called her. He was flashing a little smile. A pure, attractive, and somewhat majestic smile that instantly captivated her.

"It looks like you don't remember me." He chuckled. "It's me, Hwang Minhyun. I live only 3 doors away. I'm your junior in Seoul of Performing Arts School, and also in Hanyang University College of Music."

"Ah!" She exclaimed and her eyes got wider as she finally remember who he was. "I'm sorry. I'm terrible with names."

"Never mind. Anyway, is it okay if I join you? I come here with a friend but he went to meet the performers at the backstage, and I assume you've got no company?"

"Yeah, sure. That would be nice." Harim threw a smile at him.

It was not a bad thing that Sunhee saved her a spot enough for three people although it was in the very front row, right where Yoongi and anybody on stage could easily notice.

The audiences were screaming enthusiastically as Yoongi and his two other friends came up on stage. It wasn't even large space, and not even close to a showcase, but the crowd was not joking. Everyone was jamming along to the songs. To be more specific, rap songs. And by the word everyone, just to make it clearer, everyone except Harim. Well, Harim and Minhyun, probably.

Harim had known Yoongi since forever. Both of them had a strong interest in music, but different genre just had to separate them. Yoongi was all about rap, hip hop and everything swag. In opposite, Harim was more like the graceful princess who listens to classic music and plays violin and piano. Other than classic music, she prefers songs sung by singers like Sung Sikyung, Lee Seokhun, Kyuhyun, and other ballad singers. It was still a mystery how Harim and Yoongi could get along very well. Despite of that, this was actually the first time Harim watching Yoongi's live performance. It was her first time too listening to the self-composed songs by her best friend. Probably it was her another first time listening to complete rap songs, since she never really took some time to try listening to rap songs.

Yoongi and his friends just finished three songs. They paused for a short chit-chat before continuing the "mini showcase". The audience seemed to be still on fire. Harim on the other hand, kept taking a look at her wrist watch. She looked restless, but tried to fake it and enjoy the loud crowd.

Without her knowing, Minhyun had been observing Harim and her uneasiness since the very first song. He could tell right away when she didn't nod her head to the songs like everyone did, and somewhat lost her focus. When she started fidgeting. When she kept checking her phone and looking at her wrist watch on and on.

"Harim noona!" Minhyun slightly shouted to get her attention. "Hey, I think I want to grab a coffee and something to eat. Want to come with me?"

 

The atmosphere at the coffee shop just accross the street was totally the opposite from Sunhee's cafe and working space. Sunhee was pretty lucky she could have Yoongi at her grand opening. But it was just too much for Harim who was not used to be in a crowd, with such a loud music and songs that she thinks impossible to sing along.

Harim doesn't drink coffee, but she always finds the strong coffee aroma calming her sense and mood. If there was no Minhyun who took her to this coffee shop, she would be still stuck in that crowd. She owed him big time afterall.

She and Minhyun had been spending the last 15 minutes in absolute silence. Harim was busy stirring her hot chocolate. Meanwhile Minhyun was as busy as her, eating a big slice of red velvet cake.

"You know, Harim noona, I thought I mistook you for other person when I saw you there."

Harim chuckled. "And why is that?"

"Because the Ahn Harim I know, who used to practice Chopin or Rachmaninoff every day for the orchestra audition, is probably impossible gaining interest in rap." Minhyun answered confidently. "I'm just guessing though."

"Wow. I'm impressed that you know I was in the orchestra." Nodding her head as if giving approval, Harim clapped her hands several times.

Minhyun once again threw a confident wide smile at her while sipping his hot vanilla latte. Every once in a while he stole a glance at the shoulder-length dark blond haired girl in front of him. And that alone always made him slightly grin in happiness.

 

~

 

Harim and Minhyun didn't need a long time to finally get along since they have many things in common. They were also comfortable with each other in relatively short time, to the point how linking arms or hugging is very casual for them. And calling names without honorific although Harim is 2 years older. And Harim never felt offended. She actually liked it that way.

Living in the same neighborhood simply enabled both of them to meet very often, telling each other how their day was going, and complaining about this and that. Mostly after that, they just laughed it off together. Little did they know, that actually Harim liked the way Minhyun laughs. And so did he. He, too, found Harim's no-sound laughing somewhat adorable. Probably that's why they like to joke about literally everything. It kinda helps both of them to see everything on the bright and positive side.

"Hey, can I come over at your place? I'm going crazy because of Yoo Seonho." He talked to Harim on the phone. He was in the middle of monitoring the recording his band did a few days ago. But this Yoo Seonho kid just could never stop bugging on him.

"I thought you like him," Harim chuckled. A big smile always grew on her lips every time Minhyun told her about the clingy little brother.

"I thought I do too." A long sigh was heard. Harim knew he wasn't being serious but he did sound tired. It was only Saturday afternoon. Probably he worked way too hard preparing new songs.

"Sure you do. Anyway I'll heat up some soup if you're coming."

"Yeah, I'll be there in 10." Now he sounded excited.

 

After finishing the meal from the house owner (and making the owner do the dishes), Minhyun moved to the living room. While his thumbs kept on changing the TV channels, his eyes was scanning all over the corner to find pictures of Harim and her family, friends, and even pets. He noticed there is this one particular guy whose pictures had the most number. From college years up until this recent time. Because of this, of course Minhyun would be dying from curiosity.

"Hey, what's with you zapping the TV?" Harim snatched the remote away from Minhyun who was startled. He just grinned.

Harim took a seat next to him, and switched the TV channel into National Geographic Wild. Usually she's not very sensitive to her surroundings. But this time, she could feel the piercing gaze of the person next to her. She turned her head to the right, and said, "Okay, what?"

"'What' what?" He shrugged, grinning and blinking his squinty eyes.

Harim rolled her eyes and went back to watching the TV.

"Hey," he spoke as he took one of the photo frames on the table next to the couch. "Isn't this the guy who performed at your cousin's cafe?"

Minhyun just succeeded again at distracting her attention. So finally she turned off the TV, in the thought of spending the rest of the day having a nice talk with the guest.

"Oh, you mean Yoongi? Yeah, he's my close friend. One of the closest, actually."

Minhyun somewhat felt relieved when she said that. Although the term closest friend and the fact that so many pictures with this close friend still disturbed him a little.

He put the frame back. And he rested his head on Harim's shoulder while doing something on his phone.

"Hey, listen to this. My band mates just rearranged this song and finished recording this yesterday." Minhyun played If You from his phone. "It's good, right?" he said confidently, looking up at Harim who threw a smile at him.

"And this," he then played another song from his phone. "This is my personal favorite. I bet you like it too."

Minhyun started to sing along to Daybreak. His beautiful voice was very pleasing and soothing to hear. Harim also found the rapper's voice in Daybreak nice and somewhat that voice showed the gentle side of the owner.

From the moon, To the stars
While lingering in the universe
We got to know each other
We slide on the paint
that spread while
drawing, drawing

The air of dawn that I’m alone feels weird
I can’t fall asleep
My heart towards to you grew big at some point
I can’t hide it anymore

The moonlight that fully
Shines the empty room (moonlight)
It’s disappearing like a dream (out of my life)
I draw one more time On a white canvas
I trust that I’m not alone

From the moon, To the stars
While lingering in the universe
We got to know each other
We slide on the paint
that spread while
drawing, drawing

On a dark night
I look at the moon that’s like your eyes
How was your day,
I worry, you don’t look good yeah
Don’t try to hard that’s right
You can act like a child I’ll hold you
On the last line of your diary
I’ll always be there

 

"I like the rap part," she commented. "This Jonghyun guy sounds very kind and gentle."

"But I sing the whole song?" Minhyun demanded cutely. "I just sang this song for you right before your ears, and you talked about Jonghyun?"

"Why not?" Harim ruffled Minhyun's hair who was still on her right shoulder.

Minhyun paused talking and remained silence for a few minutes. He stretched up his neck to peek at Harim who was busy with her phone every one time. Something was in his mind.

"Hey," Minhyun spoke. "You know what's in my heart, don't you?"

"How do I know that?"

Once again Minhyun stretched up his neck, this time so he could reach Harim's peach lips. He planted a quick kiss that she couldn't even blink the moment Minhyun's lips met hers.

"There. Now you do."

Harim could feel she was blushing so much. Honestly she never saw this coming. She got even more startled when Minhyun got up and changed his position. Her eyes met his directly now that he was leaning in. His body was almost twisted to the left because he wanted to face her.

Harim's heartbeat had never been this fast. Overall she does like Minhyun, as a friend. Because she never had a thought too far from being friends.

Minhyun's hand Harim's cheek gently. He also brushed her hair to the back of her ears. "Now that we've kissed, doesn't it mean today is our day 1?"

Harim chuckled, not even saying a word to answer Minhyun and his overflowing confidence. Being more than friends with Hwang Minhyun seemed to be not a bad thing after all.