02 - Past (The Beginning)

Arduous

The neighborhood has always been a home to its resident - Baekhyun, for example. Never would he think about moving; this is where he spent his childhood, where he met his best friends for life.

For all he can remember, Jongdae and Chanyeol have always been by his side. Three Musketeers, their mothers agree in unison. The inseparables, the troublemakers, but also the sweethearts of their neighborhood. He has other friends, of course, but those two have been the closest, more than others.

 

“Chanyeol! Jongdae!” Baekhyun yelled gleefuly, hands waving to the latters. “Here, here!”

The duo ran for the swings. It was just another lazy afternoon when the trio would just spending their time at the park, either playing around or just gossiping like their mothers did everytime they have playdates.

“Baek, Mom said we will have a new neighbor soon,” Chanyeol said. Baekhyun hummed in response while kicking the swing away. “My mom told me this morning before school. She said it’s just a family of three.”

“Parents with an only child?” Jongdae guessed.

“Maybe,” Baekhyun shrugged. He kicked the ground harder, aiming to reach high with his swing. Chanyeol beamed at his friend and grinned excitedly. “Hope so! Maybe we can add the new kid to our gang.”

Jongdae laughed, his hands clapping in amusement. “Are you sure? The kid would probably be scared to death meeting with Yifan hyung.” The tallest one - Chanyeol - mused for a second. “True, true. Yifan hyung isn’t for kids with weak hearts.”

Baekhyun scoffed. “Are you kidding me. Yifan hyung is, like, the dork of our neighborhood - he trips daily on nothing!”

The trio drowned in laughter. “Well, you got a point, Baek,” Jongdae said after he calmed down. “What Chanyeol means, however, is about Yifan’s face. We used to run away when we first met him, remember? Chanyeol even almost peed his pants!” he continued, earning small punch from the latter, muttering ‘I did not’

“Yeah, yeah,” Baekhyun replied lazily. “I don’t really care about the new kid, though, I already got you guys.”

“Aw, we love you too, Baek!” Jongdae and Chanyeol cooed in unison, wrapping their hands around Baekhyun. “Group hug!”

“Oh, get off, you two.”

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t meet the new kid immediately.

His new neighbor -Mr. and Mrs. Jun, minus their kid- greeted his family on the day after they moved in. His mother was ecstatic, invited them for tea and warmed up to the newly introduced couple. Baekbeom -his brother- and he greeted Mr. Jun and his wife courtesy of Mrs. Byun fuss ( and threatened to give them house chores).

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Jun,” Baekbeom and Baekhyun said in unison. The couple, who sat in their living room for a while, smiled warmly to the kids. “Ah, I believe these are Baekbeom and Baekhyun?” the lady asked, getting a nod and small mutters of ‘yes’ from the boys.

“You have good kids, Mrs. Byun,” Mr. Jun commented, earning a joking scoff from Mrs. Byun. “No, no, you just haven’t know them yet,” she replied in a joking manner. “Do not be tranced by them - they are a handful, I assure you. I bet your child is better mannered, Mr. Jun.”

Their new neighbors laughed. “They are boys, after all. A shame though, Sorim didn’t come here - you kids will probably get along, for sure.”

“Ah, yes, why Sorim isn’t here? Baekbeom and Baekhyun can play with her,” Mrs. Byun asked. Mrs. Jun shook her head. “Sorim is too shy to come - she didn’t even want to go out from our home. A stubborn one, that girl,” she continued, but Baekhyun heard her fondness to her only daughter.

Baekhyun wondered in silence, what Sorim looked like. She sounded just like Jongin - super shy kid down the street, part of his so called gang. Tough one to crack, that one, Baekhyun thought. Maybe she could get along with him. He didn’t really look forward to meet the new girl. The parents started to chat, so Baekhyun and his brother politely excused themselves and went back to their rooms.

That night, Baekhyun stared to the house in the right side, watching the window on the opposite light up. A shadow of a small child appeared through the curtains, with her parents accompanied her to bed.

“Good night, new kid.” He muttered when the lights went off.

 

 

Turned out, Yifan had met Sorim already.

After days of Jongdae and Chanyeol pestering the short male about the new girl in the block (”You’re her neighbors too, you know!” Baekhyun whined followed by excuses like, “But your house is the closest to hers, Baek!”), the trio went to Yifan’s home to see the latter’s new console.

“Yifan hyuung,” Chanyeol moaned childishly. “I’m boreed.”

The four boys laid lazily in Yifan’s room after hours of playing his new PlayStation. The owner of ther room pretended to be offended, “I just borrowed you my PS and you’re bored already?” he fake cried. “What an ungrateful little brat.”

“Oh, stop being such a drama queen, hyung,” Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “I just miss Junmyeon and Jongin, you dolt. When will they return from Japan, anyway?”

“Uh, probably next week?” Yifan answered. “Longer than their usual holidays, but they promised to bring all those Kit Kats so it’s okay I guess?”

Jongdae snorted. “Tch, those rich cousins. I swear if they don’t bring me any Pokemon figurines I’m going to break our friendship.” “Why your Kim family isn’t related to theirs, Jongdae, that’s your real problem here,” Baekhyun snarkily replied, causing the other two roared with laughter. “You can buy it right from the shelves - shame you aren’t their cousin.” Jongdae let out a frustrated groan.

“Well, Baek, I’ve been asking the same question too, if you must know.”He sighed dramatically. “Or maybe I should just marry one of Jongin’s noona?”

        “Uh, I don’t think you can,” Chanyeol said after his laugh ended. “I don’t think Jooyeon noona likes you. Or Joohyun noona. Or anyone, really.”

Yifan and Baekhyun rolled on the ground, cackling like crazy meanwhile Jongdae looked scandalized. “Wow, that’s a bit mean, Yeol. One can dream, okay?” He sobbed. “Why you guys roast me early in the morning? I am seriously questioning my choices in friends. Maybe I should leave you guys and befriend our new neighbo

“It’s already noon, you dummy, and nah, you love us,” Baekhyun replied. “And wow, you really are eager to know the new kid, aren’t you?”

“Chanyeol’s the same too, right, Yeol?” Jongdae turned to the tall friend of his and got an eager nod from him. “See?  C’mon, Baek, you would like to see her too, don’t hide it.” The mentioned rubbed his neck. “I mean, yeah, sure, but I’m not as crazy as you two.”

Yifan raised his eyebrow. “Are you guys talking about Jun Sorim?"

The trio turned to the oldest of them. “Uh, yeah. You heard it too? I thought you  didn’t - your house is a couple blocks away from ours,” Jongdae answered. “You’re a gossiper too, huh, hyung?”

“You underestimate the power of our mothers’ speed of talking, Dae,” Yifan said. “And no, I know her because unlike you guys,” he smirked, “I already met her. She knows me too.”

“WHAT?” the trio yelled in unison.

“You’re lying!” Chanyeol yelled.

“You’re bluffing,” continued Baekhyun.

“Baekhyun who lives next door hasn’t even met her yet - you’re joking,” Jongdae shook his head. “Nah, not gonna fall for it, hyung, don’t even bother.”

“I’m not gonna give you guys food, I swear, the amount of disrespect..” Yifan muttered. “And why are you guys so suprised? Geez. My mom knows her mom from college so she brought her daughter to meet my mom. You guys sound like I have no connection at all.”

The trio only stared at him. “I mean,” Baekhyun started. “Sometimes, you’re uh, kind of anti social?”

“Hey, I’m a class president, excuse you-”

“So how is she like?” Jongdae asked with excitement, totally ignoringYifan’s previous comment. “Her mom said she’s shy.”

This time, it was Chanyeol’s turn. “Is she pretty?”

“How old is she?” Baekhyun continued.

“Oh God help me.” Yifan grunted. “Yes, she is shy - when she came with her mother I almost thought she hated me. She avoided any eye contact, talked only when she was asked. Not that she’s rude but I think it’s just her being shy, you know? My mom was very ecstatic to meet her, poor girl probably got scared out of her mind. She’s tiny, mind you, and my mom was ogling the hell out of her. She’s six years younger than me - maybe 7, I guess?”

“Is she pretty? Or cute?” Chanyeol persistently asked.

“Oh my God Yeol don’t even think about it,” the older boy shook his head. “Why do you really want to know how she looks, Jesus.”

“Hey, I’m just genuinely curious, okay.” Chanyeol defended himself.

“Why don’t you see her for your-” Yifan stopped when he heard knocks on his door. From outside, the boys heard Mrs. Wu’s voice:

“Yifan, dear?” She opened the door. “Hi, boys. Sorry for interrupting, but can I ask you boys a favor?”

“Yes, Mrs. Wu?” Baekhyun chirped. “Do you need our help?”

Mrs. Wu giggled. “Well, yes, dear, can you boys babysit our new friend for a while? Sorim, I mean. Her mother and me are going shopping for a while.”

Yifan just smirked when he saw the trio’s jaws opened, dropped to the ground. “Of course, Mom. Do we have to go to her house or-” Mrs. Wu waved her hand. “No, no,“ She said. “She’s already here, you boys just need to watch her for a while, okay? Don’t be mean or do anything stupid - keep your best manners, please.”

“Y-y-yes, Ma’am,” the trio stuttered in unison. Mrs. Wu beamed and said, “Sorry, boys, I promise we will bring you some ice cream later.” Then she went for a while and yelled, “Sorim-ah? Come here, let’s meet your new friends.”

 There were some footsteps and a little girl came in front of the door.

 “Hi, everyone.” She greeted.