The Big Reveal

Clawing at Ice

Chapter 8: The Big Reveal


Jaebum, that’s his name,” Jinyoung gestured towards the mutt, “he’s a werewolf.”

For a few breaths there was pin-drop silence.

Then…

A scoff.

“Yeah, right. And I’m a unicorn,” Chansung retorted in a deadpanned tone.

“But – ”

“Shifters are a myth, kid,” Chansung cut in before Jinyoung could say another word to defend himself, “just like vampires, witches and unicorns.”

“Just let him finish, Channie,” Minjun purposely used the nickname to get Chansung’s attention.

Chansung scowled at the nickname. Minjun had not used it for years. Not after that incident.

“Fine,” he grunted.

When Minjun focused back on him, Jinyoung took it as his cue to continue.

“Jaebum told me that he is a werewolf. Growing up, the cubs in his pack were all trained to suppress their animal halves in order to survive undetected amongst the humans and the enhanced. His pack was one of the many unfortunate packs that were left behind during the shifter migration, a phenomenon that they refer to as The Big Move, initiated by their shifter council.

When the first psychic child was uncovered by accident, leading to a global manhunt for the psychic race and ultimately a war between the human and the psychic race, the shifter council had the foresight to move all shifter packs to where no humans could survive so that the same thing would not happen to them. They first sent out stronger packs to scour the designated areas and set up bases fit for survival.

During the years when the psychics were weeded out one by one and either killed or held captive, the shifters were busy preparing their hidden bases all over the world. Some were located in the deepest parts of the ocean while others were in the coldest of places, deep underground, or hidden within valleys and mountains. No one except those in the shifter council know exactly where those bases are, even now.

About the time when the psychics finally decided to band together and fight back, the shifters had begun to move the remaining packs into the bases. However, the war was a short one as the psychics were hugely outnumbered by the humans and their weapons. Moving huge groups of people after the war would alert the human government of the whole migration plan. Hence, for the sake of their kind’s survival, the council was forced to halt the migration, leaving a number of shifter packs scattered around the world amongst the humans. The packs left behind were instructed to lay low and blend in until a time comes when the council could move them again. The council planned to move them in smaller groups over long periods of time so that it won’t be suspicious. They just had to wait and survive.

One day, Jaebum’s pack alpha received a notice that it was their pack’s time to move. However, they were instructed to move family by family in a span of five years because moving the whole pack, which consisted of seven families altogether, would be too obvious. That was three years ago and so far, they had sent out four families. Jaebum’s family was supposed to be the next to move but two days before the move, another family’s son suddenly released a burst of psychic ability that triggered the global psychic trace. Nobody knew he was a halfie - half shifter and half psychic - even himself. He was adopted by his shifter parents during the migration period, thinking that he was a shifter baby that was accidentally left behind when his parents moved. Within minutes, the human government had armies coming into their small town, tracking him down. The alpha pack thought they should make a quick getaway. He gave them a rendezvous location and they split up to make it harder for them to be detected. However, the halfie boy had not learnt how to control his abilities since he had just discovered them and that caused his family to be located. In the ensuing battle, his parents were killed. It was not known if the boy was killed too or if he was captured. What was known was that before their deaths, the parents’ minds were savagely probed for information on what they thought would be other hidden psychics. Of course, what they discovered was the existence of the shifter race which everyone thought was a myth until then.

They also found out the existence of the hidden bases but not where since the parents themselves had no idea. So, they hunted for the alpha’s and Jaebum’s family. Jaebum had no idea what happened to the alpha’s family, but when his family reached the rendezvous point, there was already an ambush waiting for them. He watched as his parents were tortured before they were killed. When they wanted to bring him away, his alpha managed to save him. But he was already heavily injured from the fight for his own family and received more deadly blows while trying to save him. He died shortly after but before that, he told him where the nearest hidden base was.

Unfortunately for Jaebum, they had already injected a temporary tracker in him. So, it was only about time that he was captured. To make sure that he doesn’t spill the location of the base, he let his animal side take control. It was also to protect himself since his animal instincts and strength were stronger. Also, he knew they would not risk killing him to extract his memories since they had kept him alive before. They must have had other plans for him. And now here we are.”

Jinyoung looked up at the two men in turn to imply that he was done with his story. They were quiet. Jinyoung understood, it was indeed a lot to take in.

Chansung was the first to speak up, “so if, hypothetically speaking, the mutt is really a shifter, what makes you think that his kind would want to help us now since they had obviously abandoned us in the first place?”

Jinyoung bit his lip and his eyes glazed over like he was not entirely present. Chansung and Minjun immediately knew that he was telepathing the mutt; or Jaebum, apparently.

“Jaebum said at that time the council really had no choice. Their own kind’s survival of course took precedence. Also, at the time, the psychics had nothing similar to a council or a union. It was hard to get into contact with them since they were scattered and most of them were in hiding.

Paranoia was also an issue. They were already highly suspicious of everyone around them, what more a myth? They wouldn’t even cooperate with each other, what more another race? From their behaviors, the council had no way of knowing the outcome of communicating with them. Worst case scenario, the psychics would reject them and would reveal that shifters were indeed not a myth and put them in the spotlight too. They had, however, considered taking in the psychics after all the shifters were secured but there was not enough time. They didn’t manage to move all the shifters in time, what more the psychics. Now, the psychics are thought to be extinct. Even Jaebum was surprised when he met me.”

Chansung rubbed a hand over his face. Minjun was only observing their exchange quietly since whatever Jinyoung said, he had already known before.

“This is taking too long,” Chansung finally said after another long silence, “why don’t we just see the mutt shift? It would prove everything.”

He immediately turned around to leave the mental plane.

“W-wait!,” Jinyoung hastily shouted to stop him.

When Chansung turned back around, he saw Jinyoung worrying his lips again as he scuffed the ground with his shoe, his eyes looking everywhere except for him.

“What is it?”

“Umm… he… can’t… shift,” Jinyoung mumbled under his breath, his voice going softer with every word.

“What?!” Chansung barked, making him jump.

“Un- it’s just- he- his wolf- um- ” Jinyoung stuttered in his panic.

“Relax,” Minjun told him in a soothing voice with a hand caressing his back.

Jinyoung swallowed before trying again, “Like I mentioned earlier, Jaebum’s wolf is stronger than his human side. So, when he let it take over, it decided that it won’t relish control until they are truly safe. As long as it feels threatened, it won’t let the human out. I’ve seen the scientists trying so many things to get him to change - electrocution, drowning, controlled blood poisoning - but he still can’t.”

Chansung pressed his temples with a thumb and forefinger of one hand. He could feel a headache coming.


Wowowowowowow!

2 chapters in a day. I am amazed at myself. This is called ultimate level procrastination lmao

But in my defense, I did study like... one (?)... chapter... today? better than nothing right? I'm such a bad student. Pls dont follow my example dear dongsaengs..😅

Sorry for the long recount from Jinyoung tho! I had to since it would explain jaebum getting caught....

There's no new characters so Idk who to post. And since Idk , I'll just post Minjun!!! Yippee!!!

Hope you guys enjoyed this one too!! See you in the next one!!

Ps: to all the new subscribers, thank you and welcome!! I dont have time to mention you here but i'll do it in the next one!! Cheers!!