Snow Falls

Snow Falls

December means winter, winter means cold weather. Most people prefer to stay at home, curled up in front of the fireplace with fluffy socks and warm covers, watching their favorite tv show and drinking some hot chocolate.

 

 

But not for Daehyun. December means winter, winter means snows, snows means an absolutely beautiful scenery.

To him, snow falls at night just make it looks even more beautiful. The way the sky glows while the snow falls, sparkly like a billion diamonds in the dark as if clouds were shattered and becoming ice crystals.

 

That was the only reason why did he choose to stay at his workplace till eight at night while his coworkers were 'running away' from the building three hours ago.

 

 

Glancing at the silver watch on his wrist, he turn off the computer, stretching his arms and yawning loudly as he start to clean his cubicle and pack his belongings into his briefcase. He puts on his warm gloves and his black leather jacket, saying a goodnight to the security as he took his full-face helmet from his locker. Daehyun's eyes sparkling as soon as he walk through the exit, inhaling the cold air and staring up at the sky.

 

First snow

 

He grins, usually snow would start to fall sooner but it was just cold weather without snow falling until now so he was a bit upset because he thought he wouldn't have a white christmas this year.

He put his helmet on and hops on his motorcycle, riding his motorbike away.

He know a perfect place where he can just sit and watch the snow falls peacefully, without worrying someone will throw a judging look at him, a grown-up-man watching snow touching the ground at night. He found that place around seven years ago when he was in his last year of high school.

 

The place is actually a playground, but since it's winter, no parents would allow their child to play there. Too cold to play. Especially at night. Whether it's a spring, summer, winter, or falls, only a crazy, depressed and stupid parents will allow their kid to go to a playground at night.

 

And let's just say when the winter season come, that place was all Daehyun's.

 

 

But seems like he isn't the only one there tonight.

 

 

Daehyun slows his motorcycle and park it at the curb. Jumps off the motorcycle and takes the helmet off, he took a quick glance at the unknown person's back. Daehyun just shrugged as the person doesn't seem to mind him and didn't even bother to look at him. He walks pass the other person and sit on his usual spot, a long blue bench attached to a wall.

 

Doing what he usually did, he observe how the snow falls splitting the darkness and start to cover the playground with white in awe.

His eyes spotted the other person who were sitting on the swing not too far from Daehyun's spot.

It's a man. No, it's still a... boy? He look like he's much younger than Daehyun, probably six or seven years younger?

 

His bangs looking so fluffy as it was blown by the wind, there are snow on top of his thick brown jacket's hood. The said boy was staring down at his stretched legs, the next thing Daehyun noticed was his skin, even though the only skin Daehyun could see was the skin on the other's face, he could tell that it was flawless and just as white as the snow. The young boy's small button nose was slightly red and smokes comes out from his mouth because of the cold weather. 

 

And Daehyun's watching-snow-falls-peacefully plan is soon changed to checking-out-a-cute-boy-like-a-creep.

 

He took his phone, capturing a sight of snow flying around that boy like fireflies surrounding a flower at night.

The phone in his grip vibrates. Daehyun's mom telling him that she got him a cheesecake from her friend's new bakery. He gets up.

Because as much as Daehyun loves snow, he loves his cheesecakes more.

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, Daehyun went to the playground again, he's surprised and doesn't know why but slightly happy to see the pretty boy was sitting on the swing just like yesterday.

 

Going straight to his usual spot, Daehyun eyed the boy silently. He is wearing a blue jeans and thick white jacket with a furry hood pulled up over his head. His eyes were glued to the ground, blinking several times as he slowly move back and forth on the swing. The boy looked up to the sky, closing his eyes everytime the swing moving frontwards. His hair bangs danced in the wind, brushing his forehead gently.

 

Daehyun doesn't know why he can't pull his eyes away from another guy, kept staring as if he were memorizing every inch of the other's form, painting every details of his face in his head.

 

It felt nice to see the stranger looking so oblivious to his surroundings. Which is a good-luck for Daehyun because so far the boy hasn't caught him staring all this time. Daehyun doesn't even realize he was staring at the other since he arrived, forgetting the falling snowflakes he usually loved to stare.

It was the first time, a guy got Daehyun's attention. It was the first time, he prefer to stare at someone than the snowfall.

 

 

 

 

 

******

 

 

 

 

 

Even though it doesn't snow and he is dead exhausted and just want to sleep in for two days straight, Daehyun finds himself heading to his motorcycle on saturday night, riding towards the playground again. Now he has another reason to come into the playground other than to watch snow falls.

 

He park his motorcycle, it was almost ten at night, he doubt if that boy was still there. But his doubt vanished as he saw a familiar figure was there, sitting on the swing in another thick jacket. The jacket's hood is not covering his head this time, it just hanging lifelessly on the back of his jacket.

 

Daehyun sat on different bench, this bench was facing the swing. Unlike his usual long blue bench which was on the corner wall, this bench was much closer to the boy's spot.

 

Daehyun stared at his hair, it was a perfect fluffy brown hair, a bit mess as it was blown by the light wind. His expression was somber, eyes staring at the ground blankly.

Although he'd eyed this boy for a whole week or so, he didn't get much from the latter other than that gloomy looks.

Never once Daehyun saw him smile like how he was when he's watching snowflakes falling from the sky. Does he not like to see the snow falls?

 

He looks lonely. It bothers him. He want to make the boy smile, he wants to be the reason of his smile, he wants to erase that somber look from his face.

The problem is, he doesn't know how to do that. They don't know each other. He's merely a stranger to the boy and so is that boy to him.

 

 

He was unconsciously singing as he thought about approaching the boy, his tongue stopped moving, paused his singing awkwardly as he got startled by the boy's sudden movement. His usual lowered head was now lifted up, his eyes looking straight to the bench Daehyun sitted on. Daehyun looks away, pulling out his phone and pretend to type something.

When in fact he was playing candy crush.

 

After playing and losing for nth times, he takes a glance at the pretty boy only to find he was still staring at him.

'Was he really staring at me?' He thought. That boy was indeed staring at his direction with his brown eyes, and his face was expressionless, but Daehyun saw a tiny smile formed there. The boy bows his head back to face the ground.

Daehyun thinks it's a cue for him to make a move.

 

 

"Hey.." Daehyun braved himself to go and talk with him, he walks towards the two swings, sitting on the empty swing on the boy's left. Daehyun sees him flinching at the sound of creaking swing beside him. The boy blinks his eyes nervously, stiffened as Daehyun's voice break the silence.

 

"H-Hi", The boy manages to mumble. Daehyun smiled to the other, titling his head towards the boy, his mind is blank for a moment, admiring how adorable the shy boy is.

He clears his throat to stop himself from staring and then considering what should he say next, doesn't want to scare this pretty boy away if he say something stupid.

 

"You came here often?" Daehyun cursed mentally as his thick lips asking a stupid question that sounds like a flirty old men in a pub.

 

"N-No, I—I don't know,"

 

Daehyun frowned at the other's reply and frightened voice, "How come you don't know if you came here often or not?", he joked to ease the tension, the boy chuckled silently.

 

"My older brother," Daehyun hummed to let the other know he's listening, he stares at the boy's side-profile, waiting for the latter to continue his sentence. "he always left me alone and will pick me up after he was done with whatever he does."

Daehyun cringed as he heard the other's bitter laugh. "He always told our parents that I want to go somewhere with him so that our parents will let him out at night."

 

"I guess he is a brat then", They both chuckled. Daehyun's heart was pounding, butterflies fluttering in his stomach as he managed to make the boy laugh, not a bitter laugh like before, but a pure laugh. He is even more beautiful when he laughs.

 

"Yes, he is. But he cares for me too, sometimes." he said with gentle smile on his delicate face and longing looks in his eyes. Those eyes are sad, yet captivating still.

 

 

"Ah, right! I'm Daehyun, by the way." Daehyun smiled and stretched his hand out for handshake but the other guy ignored it so Daehyun pulled his hand back, ruffling the boy's hair instead. His sudden guts to make such a contact startling both of them.

 

"I'm Youngjae," Youngjae's cheeks blushed, he drop his head down shyly and tidying his messy hair with his fingers. "It was you who was singing right?"

 

"Of course." Daehyun laughed. They are the only ones here so who else could it be? He heard the other said his voice was beautiful, Daehyun felt himself all smiley and happy when Youngjae murmured 'I like your voice' and something about how his voice sounds like a top singer he likes. He felt like his head was becoming twice bigger.

He'd never been this happy before, not even when his parents and his ex praised his voice.

This boy must have poisoned him with something.

 

He glances at his wrist watch and looks at Youngjae again. It's half past eleven. As much as he wants to be with Youngjae, he doesn't want the boy's parents to be worried sick.

"So, Youngjae. It's late, tell your brother you are going home with me. Let's go! Just tell me the way to your house."

Daehyun gets up, looking down at Youngjae who doesn't budge from his seat. Youngjae bit his lip, his fingers playing with each others. His orbs shaking, but Daehyun couldn't see it.

 

"I don't know.." Tears started to pool in Youngjae's eyes. His eyes kept looking everywhere.

 

"Hey, what's wrong?" Daehyun brings his bottom to sit on the empty swing on Youngjae's left once again as the boy sounded so lost and scared. Noticing the watery eyes, he Youngjae's back in a comforting circle to soothe him. He guesses Youngjae is new here and he just got scared as he doesn't know the way home and is not familiar with the neighborhood yet. Also Daehyun had never seen him before so he might be right that Youngjae is just moved here this month.

 

"It's okay, I'll keep you company till your brother pick you up, okay?"

Youngjae nodded, Daehyun smiled at him, pocketing his motorbike's key. He grab his phone, searching something amusing to watch on Youtube and make the younger calm down.

"Let's just watch some video. What would you like to watch? A puppies video? Kittens? Or are you into dramas?", he scrolls down and accidentally clicks a random video, face palming as he's playing a girlgroup music video. He closed it and took one of Youngjae's hand, giving his phone into Youngjae's palm, suggesting it's better if he picks what he wants to watch by himself.

 

Daehyun noticed that there's something off as Youngjae stills, not trying to use his phone like he'd told him to. He looked at the latter with genuine concern but Youngjae lowers his head deeper, his hand squeezed Daehyun's phone tightly.

Youngjae lifts his head and stretching out his hands, handing Daehyun's phone carefully to a random direction on his left and staring at empty space. Those pair of lips smiled. But somehow, the smile was causing Daehyun's heart to ache.

 

"Daehyun,"

 

Daehyun's breath hitched, his gaze fell to the other's hands that was clumsily trying to reach him. He felt his eyes stings as he looked up only to see a tear fall, rolling down Youngjae's apple-cheek. Daehyun's face heating up, his jaw clenched as the anger took over him. Youngjae must thought that he did what he did to him on purpose.

His brain kept replaying scenes. His hands balled tightly into white-knuckled fists as he realized how ignorant he was. And how much his ignorance had hurt the other. He close his eyes as he heard Youngjae speak with his small voice, almost like whisper.

 

"I can't see,"

 

Youngjae's eyes has never looking at him all this time.