prologue. (ii)

still star-crossed.

 

“Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.” 
― Oscar WildeThe Picture of Dorian Gray

 

Kim Yerim’s birth had been long awaited before she was even expected. Her father Kim Heechul, the eldest son of the renowned Haeyang clan leader and her mother Kwon Boa, perhaps the most educated woman in the land had been married for years without any offspring to love as their own.

 

They had offered many sacrifices to the gods, prayed and worshipped idols, shamans, priests and monks in hopes for a child they could call their own. Boa hoped that their child would have her wit and his smile, much to the amusement of her husband.

 

Heechul was the first born and the supposed heir, the eldest of a sacred bloodline that descended from the sunken island of Velaryon and poised generations of rulers and conquerors but no trait of that showed in him. He had the appearance of a true Velaryon - pale blonde hair, almost like porcelain, white skin and azure coloured eyes, yet his desire to fight, to rule, to dominate- was non-existent.

 

The leadership position of the Haeyang faction after their father passed away went to his younger brother, Jaejoong- a skilled fighter, valiant, brave, charming and everything Heechul wasn’t. Heechul was relieved, being freed from a responsibility he never wanted and a life he never wanted to live. He did have one thing Jaejoong never had- Boa’s affection. He knew Jaejoong resented him his entire life for this, even if he had all the power, money and glory Heechul missed out on.

...

 

When the Haeyang faction’s blind healer reported that Lady Boa was expecting and was due to give birth in the next nine moons, the couple were elated and beyond overjoyed. The usually frugal and shrewd household had turned into weeks of celebrations, festivals and thanksgiving for the arrival of a blessed child to the noble household.

 

Common folk were distributed stocks of beef, chicken, milk, eggs, carrots, cabbages and potatoes twice more than their weekly supply as a benediction for the lord and lady’s expected child. Peasants and minstrels on the streets sang songs of either a robust, muscular knight their son would be or how celestially beautiful their daughter would be.

 

    “I am beyond jubilant to hear that you are becoming a mother, dear sister. We always knew you were more poised and suited to be one.” Lady Boa’s sister, Lady Yuri chirped excitedly, before sighing deeply and brushing her fingertips against the bump of Boa’s swollen abdomen.

 

    “You say such foolish things sister- the gods would have not blessed you with such a divine daughter like Soojung so early in the marriage had they not found you a suitable wife and mother to Lord Jung.” Boa hummed distractedly, delicately wrapping her palm around her sister’s wrist affectionately.

 

Lady Jung smiled indifferently, feeling tears pool in her eyes before putting herself back together and not forgetting her noble bearing and breeding. The Kwon family always did their duty; no complaints, no objection, no discontent, only acceptance and recognition that this was for the good of the family, of the kingdom and their children.

 

    “I have a feeling you will have a daughter.” She affirmed wistfully, as she distantly looked at nothing in particular and seemed to look ahead far, far away.

 

    “Why do you think that, sister? Are you making bets in royal court now?” Boa chuckled heartily, raising an eyebrow in suspicion and taking her sister’s predictions in strife.

 

“I have a feeling she will be a daughter, unnie. The most beautiful and widely celebrated beauty of the town. The epitome of virtue, purity and rectitude.” Yuri nods solemnly, her expression nonchalant and disengaged yet assured and confident.

 

“Let’s hope so, sister. We would be very blessed.”

...

The celebrations were ended prematurely as Boa, weeks before her planned time of maternal isolation before the expected birth, had to expect the birth of her child way sooner and rapidly than they prepared for.

 

Septas, healers, maesters, and midwives from all across the Northern kingdom had arrived hastily through horseback, carriage, and ships after the news had broken out that Lady Boa was to birth her child any time soon.

 

The enthusiastic expressions of her handmaidens and midwives had fallen at the news that it had been a girl they were expecting and that her birth would take the life of their beloved Lady Boa. The umbilical cord had been entangled around her arms and neck, and the fetus’ body was awkwardly positioned, which needed a procedure that would severely harm both the mother and the child.

 

    “I want my child to live- I would rather let her live than let me live without her-” Boa whispered falteringly, her heavy breathing and hysterical sobs as she felt the air knocked out of her lungs and her chest heavy.

 

    “No, my love please- You cannot leave me and our daughter so soon like this-” Heechul pleaded, choking on his own tears and gripping his blood stained hands with his wife’s soft, smooth ones.

 

    “I want you to promise me - you will love our daughter, you will love my dear Yerim, you will protect her with all your heart-” Her heart stopped beating and her eyes fluttered shut as life left her body yet she still remained serene and peaceful in her passing as always. Even death couldn’t remove Lady Boa’s dignity and grace. No wonder they still sang songs about her and told legends based on her memory.

 

Kim Yerim, with her white-blonde hair that shone in the sunlight, and her emerald green eyes that resembled her mother’s, slept peacefully in her father’s arms and oblivious to her devastated surroundings.

 

    “Oh, Yerim- How your mother and I love you so much.”

 

Yerim grows up given everything her father can give her, as the apple of his eye and the only one left from his family who he really knew. He hasn’t had any real family after all of his siblings became independent after all.

 

She is given the finest clothes he can afford to wear, coddled and treated with the best servants in the country someone of his ranking deserved and fed the most excellent food the Seven Kingdoms could produce, but to the world- she is only half as good as a true Kim clan member can be.

 

The Kim clan, as any proud Velaryon family would, practiced blood purity and found themselves superior over all families. They refused to intermarry into the royal family, secretly disgusted with their Andalasian roots and their dark-complexioned colourings that would only blemish their Velaryon blood. They refused to marry into other bloodlines not hailing from the Velaryon bloodline, which meant they only married into the Min or the Kang families, or their own. No amount of wealth could replace the purity of blood. 

 

Her father’s brother, Jaejoong, had many sons of pristine Velaryon heritage, as he had married their cousin, Kim Taeyeon, much to Heechul’s disgust as he remarkably despised this family practice he refused to follow. Yerim’s grandfather refused to acknowledge his granddaughter due to this either, not finding her true “Velaryon” blood and that any other stain of other bloodlines would make her no granddaughter of his. She wasn't his only impure grandchild anyway. He must've forgotten about Taehyung. 

 

One finds revenge through small defeats one can say - especially as the young Yerim found herself chosen as one of the handmaidens to accompany the Grand Princess, over Jaejoong’s beloved youngest daughter Jennie.

 

    “Lady Kang Seulgi and Lady Kim Yerim will be the handmaidens who will accompany my cherished daughter Grand Princess Seungwan in her upbringing and her education-”

 

The Hand of the King bolts out of the palace room, slamming open the marble walls and slamming the sheath of his sword against its wooden handle, while his older brother hid a smirk of defeat hidden by his sleeve.

 

Kim Yerim always remembered the stories her wet nurse told her about the angelic princess in the castle and the knight in shining armour who would save her. Maybe this is as close as she can get to be the princess. As much as she can never match the golden crown on Princess Seungwan’s head. At least she allowed her to try it on as long as her servants were looking away.

 

 

...

And this ends the prologue! Will come up with the first chapter soon but I will be very busy in the next week. However, hopefully this provides enough backstory (without revealing too much- of course) that gives a better understanding between both character's backgrounds. Is the spacing looking fine? I'm trying to space things out and seeing how they're looking. Please do say otherwise if you'd like to format it otherwise. (Formatting/spacing isn't exactly my...forte)

 

I hope it's clear where Yerim and Jungkook are coming from, and I hope you'll be there to see them rise above their stations in the most unexpected ways. You'll see! Thank you so much. Please do comment, subscribe and upvote. It really helps me motivate myself as a reader and keep my spirit up. Love you all! xoxo

 

Song: “Youth” by Daughter