Read My Fortune

Read my fortune

“Can I not do it?” Taeyang pleaded.

 

“But you’re the only person who knows how to read fortunes around here,” Juho said.

 

“There’s Chanmi…” Taeyang pointed out.

 

“She’s sick…”

 

“For all three days?” Taeyang questioned.

 

“Unfortunately,” Juho shrugged. “Come on Taeyangie, do us a favour will you?”

 

Taeyang sighed. “Why did you guys even think of setting up a fortune telling stall?”

 

“We thought it would be fun. We don’t think people will take it too seriously. It is after all a school festival,” Juho replied casually.

 

“You can’t play around reading peoples’ fortunes,” Taeyang groaned.

 

“That’s why we’re asking you…”

 

Taeyang sighed. “It’s ridiculous that a psychology major like me is doing this.”

 

“So does it mean you’ll do it?” Juho asked hopefully.

 

“Fine, I’ll do it. Just let me have a bath and change of clothes first.”

 

…..

 

“What?” Hwiyoung stared at the big sign in red words which screamed “Fortune Telling Service”. “You made me skip my meal to bring me here just to have my fortune read! Is this even legit?”

 

Hwiyoung has his doubts. Firstly, he does not believe in fortune telling. He has been taught by his Christian parents to trust the big guys up there. Secondly, is the fortune teller inside the tent even legit or is he/she a quack? This is after all a school festival and it’s more about fun and laughs than anything else. He doesn’t want to waste his time just to get some fun and laughs.

 

“Who knows you might be able to get some insights into your life…” Dawon teased before he let out a high-pitch scream as Hwiyoung pinched him.

 

“I mean your love life…”

 

“Since when have you’ve been concerned about my love life?” Hwiyoung retorted sassily. Hwiyoung has a non-existent love life. He has not dated anyone before compared to some of his peers. Hwiyoung has a shy and passive personality when it comes to relationships so he is unable to work up his courage to even speak to any guy he likes or has a crush on, much less befriend them and take things further.

 

“From the day you moved in…”

 

“Right,” Hwiyoung rolled his eyes. “I think I’m just going to go.”

 

“You’re already here. Let’s just get our fortune read,” Dawon persuaded.

 

“The queue looks long.”

 

“It won’t take too long.”

 

……

 

It has been slightly more than an hour and Hwiyoung was running out of patience. He was tapping his left foot on the ground. It was finally his turn as Dawon had exited the tent and winked at him.

 

Hwiyoung felt uneasy as it meant that Dawon was up to something. He traipsed into the tent and was greeted by a familiar boyish voice.

 

“It’s you Hwiyoungie! I should have known you will be my next customer since Dawon hyung was just before you. He said the next person is someone I know. Come on take a seat and make yourself comfortable,” Taeyang greeted with a bright smile and cheery tone.

 

Hwiyoung settled down into the chair gingerly. His heart was thumping and he tried to avert Taeyang’s gaze by looking at the ground.

 

“Are you feeling uncomfortable?” Taeyang asked.

 

Hwiyoung lifted his head to only have his gaze match Taeyang’s gaze. It was full of warmth, sincerity and concern. “I’m fine…I just find this fortune telling thing to be … uh … how shall I put it…?”

 

“Ridiculous…absurd…incredulous…nonsensical…silly…foolish…?” Taeyang chimed in with a pensive look.

 

Hwiyoung started to panic. He did not want to offend Taeyang and get himself cursed by Taeyang not having Taeyang ever speak to him again. Hwiyoung waved his hands wildly and stammered. “I don’t mean that…It’s just that…it’s my first time here…and I find it difficult to believe that anyone can tell the future…”

 

“But you’re here…” Taeyang pointed out. He rested his chin on his right palm.

 

“Dawon hyung dragged me here…” Hwiyoung explained.

 

“And you came in…” Taeyang continued.

 

“Yes I did,” Hwiyoung sighed. He could not possibly tell Taeyang that Dawon brought him here so that he could get up close to Taeyang. Besides how would Dawon even know that Taeyang would be the fortune teller?

 

“Anyway, since you’re here, you might as well have your fortune told. I need to preface this by informing you that I’m not going to be liable for any words which I say or anything that might happen thereafter as a result of my predictions,” Taeyang stated.

 

Taeyang seemed really serious and business-like when he said those words. Hwiyoung could only nod in response.

 

“So what do you want to find out today?” Taeyang asked.

 

“Let me think…” Hwiyoung paused for a few moments. “Dawon hyung suggested that I find out about my life…” Hwiyoung blurted.

 

“What?” Taeyang blinked his eyes in confusion before he burst out in laughter. “That’s so typical of Dawon hyung.”

 

Hwiyoung realised that he had said something wrong and he face palmed in embarrassment. “OMG! I don’t mean life…I don’t know how it slipped from my tongue…and came out so wrong…he was teasing me…but Dawon hyung really meant for me to find out about my love life.”

 

“Well that’s a relief. Because I don’t think I can tell anyone if they will have luck with their life,” Taeyang teased as Hwiyoung groaned in embarrassment and continued to conceal his face with his palms.

 

“But hey, I’m able least tell whether you will have any luck with your love life…well…that’s the closest thing you can get to a life,” Taeyang offered brightly. “So do you want to know about your love life?”

 

Hwiyoung removed his palms from his face and waved them wildly. He was still embarrassed and blushing from his sudden slip of the tongue. “No, no…Uh…I want to know about my luck…um…yeah…money…”

 

“Are you sure?” Taeyang asked again.

 

“I don’t think I will have a love life. I’m still a student, so studies come first,” Hwiyoung blurted, trying to avoid the topic of his love life. “So yeah…money…wealth…after all I have loans to repay and all…”

 

Hwiyoung noticed that Taeyang’s gaze seemed to have fallen and lost its glow momentarily. It was as though Taeyang was disappointed at Hwiyoung’s response and lack of enthusiasm. But Taeyang quickly flashed a smile at Hwiyoung and asked Hwiyoung to provide his date and time of birth.

 

…..

 

The fortune telling session ended in less than ten minutes. Unfortunately Hwiyoung did not manage to ask for Taeyang’s number or permission to add him on his social media accounts. He was thinking back on what Taeyang had said that Hwiyoung would not become a billionaire or a chaebol (but that was the least of his worries), but if he worked diligently enough he would be able to pay off his debts and live a reasonably comfortable life. Taeyang also cautioned Hwiyoung that he has no gambler’s luck so he ought not to gamble. Small, less risky investments might be fine. However, Hwiyoung was worried about Taeyang’s comments that he might lose a small fortune in the near future. But he said there will be something good coming Hwiyoung’s way and not to let the small loss get to him.

 

……

 

Hwiyoung found himself standing in front of the fortune telling tent on Tuesday.

 

“Why am I even here?” Hwiyoung groaned inwardly. Hwiyoung desperately needed answers from Taeyang. But Taeyang had already told Hwiyoung all the former know. What new information can Taeyang possibly add? Perhaps he could just add Taeyang over his social media accounts and seek clarification for him. But since he is free, and is already here, he might as well admire Taeyang up close and in the flesh.

 

He traipsed into the tent.

 

“Hi Hwiyoungie!” Taeyang welcomed Hwiyoung with a dazzling smile and cheery tone.

 

Hwiyoung quickly took a seat.

 

“Can’t get enough of me?” Taeyang teased.

 

“What?” Hwiyoung exclaimed, only to realise the next moment that he had overreacted. He wanted to dig a hole and disappear into it to hide from his embarrassment. Why does he keep embarrassing himself in front of Taeyang? Why did Taeyang even say those words? Does Taeyang know that Hwiyoung has a little maybe not so little crush over him (Taeyang)? Did Dawon hyung tell Taeyang anything? Hwiyoung was devising ways to punish Dawon if his housemate had breathed a word to Taeyang.

 

Taeyang chuckled, “What were you thinking? I mean…can’t get enough of my fortune telling? You’re the first client I have seen two days in a row.”

 

“Uh…” Hwiyoung faked his laughter.

 

“That’s why I am here. About what you said yesterday…that I will suffer a small financial loss…I think I might have suffered one…but I’m not sure if that counts…and whether there is another one to come…I’m so worried…” Hwiyoung rattled.

 

“What happened?” Taeyang enquired.

 

“I had withdrawn some money from the bank. I just stuffed the bills into my wallet in a hurry. When I reached for the cash to purchase some food, some notes may have fallen out of my wallet. I’ve lost about 200,000 Won,” Hwiyoung grumbled. “It’s really my fault. I was too careless.”

 

Taeyang hummed in acknowledgement to show that he was listening to Hwiyoung. He did not want to interrupt the younger.

 

“Sunbae, can you tell me if I’m going to continue to have such rotten luck and lose more money in the near future? 200,000 Won is a lot of money for a poor student like me. My parents will give me an earful. Is my bad luck over or will I have more bad luck to come? I cannot afford any more bad luck. Can you tell me if the 200,000 Won I had lost is the loss you predicted yesterday?”

 

Hwiyoung was rambling anxiously, and the younger appeared to be on the verge of tears. Taeyang outstretched his hand to clutch Hwiyoung’s hand.

 

“Hwiyoungie…” Taeyang said tenderly causing Hwiyoung to gaze into Taeyang with his doe eyes. Hwiyoung looks like a cute, poor, little lost deer, Taeyang noted silently.

 

“I understand how you feel. But I can’t add anything more to what I have said yesterday. I don’t even remember what I had said yesterday…” Taeyang’s tone was apologetic.

 

“You can’t help me?” Hwiyoung gazed expectantly at Taeyang.

 

“Aish, this is why I don’t like to do this,” Taeyang sighed.

 

“Then why are you doing this?” Hwiyoung asked.

 

“The person who was doing this is sick, so I’m standing it for her,” Taeyang explained. “And because I’m apparently the only other person in this school who can read fortunes. I’ve been able to read fortunes since I was 12 years old. My mum and grandma and their ancestors have been doing this for generations. I’ve been learning from my mother and grandma when I was a kid. It seemed fun when I was a kid, but now that I’ve grown older, it’s not as fun, and I don’t want to do this for a living. What I say affects them…the responsibility is too heavy to bear…”

 

Hwiyoung could only stare at Taeyang in amazement. Taeyang is actually talking about himself in front of me.

 

“I hope I don’t give you the impression that I’m an irresponsible person. It’s just that I’ve been observing my mum and grandma do this for a long time, and I feel fortune telling isn’t for me. They like their work because they believe in what they do. I like helping people, but I’d rather do so as a counsellor or psychologist.”

 

“People like to know about their future because they are fearful of the unknown and want to be in control of their own future. Some people turn to fortune telling because they are feeling desperate and they hope to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Fortune telling is helping my clients manage any potential bad news and situation better, warning them to avoid certain bad paths, to provide them some relief, hope and assurance. But one should not be too obsessed over one’s future.”

 

“If something is unavoidable is going to happen in the future, there is nothing you can do to avoid it. I’m really sorry about your recent monetary loss. I know the money means a lot to you, and the thought of a potential loss is distressing. But I hope you won’t dwell too much over it. I just wanted you to be prepared for such a situation since you asked about your wealth luck. I didn’t mean to cause you great worry. I apologise if I had done so,” Taeyang said earnestly.

 

“To be honest sunbae, I never believed in this…” Hwiyoung paused.

 

“…crap…load of bull?” Taeyang laughed.

 

“That’s okay Hwiyoungie…I don’t expect most of the students who came through this doors to believe in fortune telling anyway. It’s a school festival after all. People just want to have fun, but that doesn’t mean I don’t take my work here seriously even though I just confessed that I don’t want to be a fortune teller. I’ve still got my ancestors’ and my grandma’s and mum’s reputation to protect.”

 

“But Hwiyoungie, you may have lost some money, but I’m sure something good will come your way soon,” Taeyang flashed a reassuring smile. Taeyang’s hand was still on Hwiyoung’s hand and Hwiyoung felt warm and fuzzy inside. He felt less anxious about the money. He had also managed to find out a little bit more about Taeyang.

 

“If you don’t want to be a fortune teller, what do you want to be in the future?” Hwiyoung asked.

 

“A performer…a dancer or an artiste…maybe…” Hwiyoung laughed. “But I’m studying psychology so I think I would end up working in this line or social work…still helping people…”

 

“Wow…”

 

“Switching from fortune telling to medical science and theories – my mum flipped out when she found out I wanted to study psychology,” Taeyang shrugged. “It’s fun. Who knows one day, I’ll be able to marry fortune telling and psychology together…?”

 

“Wow…”

 

“Are you just going to go ‘Wow’ or do you have any more questions for me?”

 

“Are you able to predict a person’s death?”

 

“No.”

 

“Have you tried reading your own fortune?”

 

“No, but I have a feeling something good will happen to me in the future,” Taeyang chuckled. “So what aspect of your future will you like to enquire about today?”

 

“I can’t think of any. I was just so worried about money…” Hwiyoung said sheepishly.

 

“Most students ask about their love life…your studies…or about career prospects…don’t you want to find out about either or both?” Taeyang asked.

 

“Thanks, sunbae, but I think I’ll pass. This whole fortune telling thing has already freaked me out. I don’t think I’m prepared to hear anything bad.”

 

“But it could be … something … good?” Taeyang offered.

 

“I’ll let nature take its course without me knowing,” Hwiyoung replied.

 

“Very well,” Taeyang nodded.

 

“Alright, I should get going. Other people are still waiting to have their fortunes read. Thank you sunbae,” Hwiyoung said politely as he rose from his seat.

 

Taeyang chuckled, “Instead of having their fortunes read, most of them are probably just here to stare at my face. You’re probably not here for my face, right Hwiyoungie?”

 

Hwiyoung quickly shifted his gaze away from Taeyang in embarrassment.

 

“By the way Hwiyoungie, I’m doing something special tomorrow at the fortune telling stall. You’re always welcome to return.”

 

Hwiyoung nodded. Hwiyoung was about to walk off, but he turned back to ask Taeyang, “Sunbae, can I add you on your SNS?”

 

“Sure…”

 

……

 

So why did Hwiyoung return on the third day? He has Taeyang’s SNS accounts and added him right after he left the tent. Taeyang had accepted Hwiyoung’s friend request last night and the younger had been scrolling through Taeyang’s photos and saving those pictures which he found Taeyang to be extremely attractive. In fact he ended up saving almost 90 percent of Taeyang’s photos. Okay, maybe that was too much, Hwiyoung thought inwardly, and bordering on being a stalker. But the photos were no match to seeing and speaking to Mr Sunshine in the face. And he was curious about the special something Taeyang said he would be doing today.

 

……

 

“You’re back, Hwiyoungie,” Taeyang greeted Hwiyoung with his usual cheery boyish tone and bright smile.

 

“Why am I not surprised?” Taeyang teased as Hwiyoung pulled the chair and settled in. Taeyang noticed a blush on Hwiyoung’s cheeks. “You know, you’re the only person to have come here three days in a row. But thanks for coming. I take that as a vote of confidence in my fortune telling skills.”

 

“I think your dance skills are much better than your fortune telling skills, and makes you really attractive,” Hwiyoung gushed. Hwiyoung realised what he had said and quickly covered his mouth.

 

“So you’ve seen me dance…” it seemed more like a statement than a question.

 

“Uh…just once…” Hwiyoung stammered.

 

“Did you like it?” Taeyang leaned forward to narrow the space between both of them so much so that Hwiyoung could feel Taeyang’s minty breath.

 

“Tell me, do you find me attractive?” Taeyang’s asked in a low seductive tone as his gaze locked onto Hwiyoung’s gaze.

 

“Hwiyoungie…Hwiyoungie…?”

 

“Uh…” Hwiyoung came to his senses. It was all in his imagination. Taeyang did not come closer to him, nor was the older boy teasing him.

 

“I really like your dance. You’re really good!” Hwiyoung blurted.

 

“Uh…I was asking what you do want do you find out today.”

 

“Oh!” Hwiyoung uttered.

 

“Love luck…career luck…studies luck…?” Taeyang suggested.

 

“Love!” Hwiyoung exclaimed.

 

“Alright then. I was scared you would never ask,” Taeyang remarked. “You know the drill. I remember your date of birth. But I need your time of birth.”

 

After analysing the date and time, Taeyang asked, “Do you want the good news or bad news first?”

 

“What?” Hwiyoung was alarmed. “Oh no, am I going to die an old and lonely ?”

 

Taeyang burst into a bout of rapturous laughter. “No, no, Hwiyoungie. You misunderstand me. I think I better give you the good news first.”

 

“Well, you’ve had a few brushes with love luck previously. Unfortunately, nothing came out of it. I guess both yourself and/or the party did not act on the crush or possible feelings. The good news is that you have love luck…and that the luck is strongest at this point of time…and that person has already appeared in your life. So that’s good news for you.”

 

“The bad news…is that…I still can’t tell you if you will have a life…”

 

“Sunbae!” Hwiyoung protested. Taeyang actually remembered Hwiyoung’s faux pas from 3 days ago.

 

“I’m joking,” Taeyang apologised with his trademark sunny smile. “But I’m sure your love luck will come with luck. After all, Hwiyoungie, you’re an attractive boy.”

 

This caused Hwiyoung to blush.

 

Taeyang then handed a cylindrical container to Hwiyoung and asked the younger to pick one of the sticks. “Just think of something you want to know before you pick one of the sticks. You don’t need to tell me what you’re thinking.”

 

Hwiyoung shut his eyes for a few seconds before he drew a stick from the container and handed it to Taeyang.

 

“Number 9. Let’s see what I have for you,” Taeyang said as he reached for a folded slip of pink paper and handed it to Hwiyoung.

 

Hwiyoung did not read the paper immediately. He stood up and thanked Taeyang for his time.

 

“Hwiyoungie,” Taeyang called out.

 

“Ne, sunbae?”

 

“Just call me hyung instead of sunbae from now on.”

 

“Ne.”

 

“And by the way, the stall will close at six.”

 

“Ne, hyung. See you around soon,” Hwiyoung turned and ambled out. He was halfway through when he paused. He unfolded the pink slip of paper.

 

“Have courage and take the first step. The future is in your hands.”

 

He remembered Taeyang’s words about his love luck. Hwiyoung recollected how he had let a few chances slip by. That was because Hwiyoung was just too shy to confess his feelings. He was an introvert and he had never been in a relationship before. He was worried on how to function and act in a relationship. That explains why he only had crushes but no relationships so far. But Taeyang said he has love luck, and that the person has appeared in his life. Is this person Taeyang? He read the words on the pink slip of paper silently to himself. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hwiyoung mustered up his courage, took a deep breath and sprinted back to Taeyang.

 

“Hyung, will you like to go out with me after you’re done here?”

 

……

 

Hwiyoung was pacing anxiously outside the college’s main gate when he felt someone grab his waist from behind causing him to jump in surprise.

 

“Sorry to have made you wait Hwiyoungie,” Taeyang let go of Hwiyoung as the younger turned around to face the Taeyang. The older beamed a smile at Hwiyoung.

 

“Will you like to grab a drink with me before we have dinner? I would like to take you to my favourite café. The drink is on me for making you wait for 10 minutes.”

 

Hwiyoung nodded.

 

Without a word, Taeyang held Hwiyoung’s hand and led him into the direction of his favourite café.

 

……

 

A week and a few days earlier.

 

Taeyang was lazing in his bed when his handphone rang. “Hey Dawon hyung, what’s up?”

 

“Hey Taeyang, are you involved in the freshmen orientation this year?”

 

“Yup. Why?”

 

“My housemate is a freshman and he will be heading down for the orientation on Monday. He’s rather shy and a bit of an idiot with directions. I’ve got a feeling he might lose his way on Monday. And I can’t accompany him. So if you see him, help him out. Or look out for him if he happens to be in your group.”

 

“Sure. What’s his name?”

 

“Hwiyoung. And he happens to be a really cute gay boy. I’ll text you his pic.”

 

“Alright, will do.”

 

“Thanks Taeyang.”

 

“No problem hyung.”

 

Taeyang’s phone sounded seconds later which signalled that he had an incoming message. He tapped on the attachment and opened it.

 

“Hwiyoung…He’s cute.” Taeyang muttered to himself. “I’ll watch out for you.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this brings us to the end of this story. I hope you enjoyed this story. I don’t write fluff too often so I hope this is a good effort.

 

Do you think that Taeyang did read Hwiyoung’s love fortune or do you think he was just making it up?

 

Do you think that Taeyang and Hwiyoung getting together is due to fate/coincidence or due to human interference?

 

Remember to leave your comments. I appreciate them very much.

 

Also please check out my JiKook (Jimin x Jungkook) story That Year, The Sun Shines if you have not done so.