One Week

The Date

12:08 P.M.

It's been three hours since Lee Hayi lying on her bed, staring at her ceiling, doing nothing at all. The doubts and regrets melt together filling her brain. She didn't have to text him last night to ask him whether he's down for, practically, a second chance at this whole date shenanigans. She clearly remembers she didn't like the idea of doing this thing. She even cursed Jennie a little for it. But why after she was finally being free from it, she came back taking the chance she didn't want in the first place. She hopes it wasn't because she found solace within his calm presence. It must be because of his sad smile before he turned around to walk in the opposite direction when they said goodbye. It must be because she doesn't want to be the person she hated.

She read his reply again. 'Sure,' he said, 'Let's meet up at 7.'

She doesn't get him. Why does he agree to meet her again when it seemed like she had imposed his space and kinda hurt his feeling yesterday. He sure was calm throughout the date but once in a while between their conversation, Lee Hayi could see there was a storm raging through his unsaid word. The hesitation he had when he wanted to say something. Are those the reason she asked him to meet again, to unravel her curiosity of his silence? Is she just being nosy?

Whatever her reason is, she cannot keep hung up on this. So she wakes up and starts making tea. There are more important things she needs to deal with, like ordering food for lunch, attending an online meeting for this volunteer work she participated in, reading books from her piled-up reading list, and doing a side project with her college friends. It's tiring because even though it's the weekend, she still has things to do. Sometimes she just wants to lay on her bed all day. But what can she do, she was born into a middle-class family. For God knows only the riches get to do the fun stuff whenever they want. So for keeping her mind sane, she cramps all the fun stuff on the weekend. It's not like she hates her job. It just feels different to do something because you want it compared with because you have to.

While waiting for her computer to start up, she sips her tea. It is not sweet, but sweet enough for a good tea, just like the taste of everyday life. She thinks about how will her everyday life changes once she agrees to be transferred abroad. She has been waiting for this opportunity to come, nevertheless, she feels scared. The tomorrow that she dreams of is full of uncertainty and unfamiliarity. She will have to say goodbye to her favorite book store, bakery, and this room. And will not be seeing Jennie physically for quite a long time. How can she make new friends given her personality? She will miss a lot of simple things in her current life and will feel sad while thinking about it. She's sure of that because that's how she is. People around her think that she's the most logical person but the truth is she feels a lot of things because she remembers everything. Lee Hayi is good at putting aside those emotions in front of other people, including her own family.

01:19 P.M.

"Thank you for the meal," he bows.

"Likewise, come again next time," said the owner of Gukbap restaurant near Jaewon apartment.

He's walking home after decided to take himself for a nice meal. The restaurant has become his favorite place since he moved to this neighborhood. When he's happy he craves for it, when he's sad he craves for it, basically, he craves for their Gukbap in every twist and turn of his life. It is a bit sad knowing that the restaurant might not be there forever. The owner said that he didn't want to force her daughter to continue the restaurant, she had her own life after all. Is it because knowing that the dish might disappear one day makes every meal he took there even more delicious?

"I'm home," he said to himself when he gets home. He started doing it like a habit when he moved to live by himself. To think about it, he also developed a habit to talk with himself out loud when he stay in his apartment. Jaewon wonders if he did all of it to fill the quietness of this space.

When he moved to this place, he was not that fond of being alone. He liked to invite Jiwon to stay over. But after his mom passed away, he begin to appreciate the isolation of living alone offered. He started to decline several team dinners to stay in his room. He didn't like how his colleague tip-toed around the topic of his mother. When people did that, it felt like his mom is really gone. He wished people could talk about his mom normally. But, he understands that it's not an easy thing to do. Nothing is easy about death.

He checks his phone and remembers the text from Hayi. He also remembers how it put a smile on his face. She made his day without her knowing, she barely knows him, yet she brightens his day like no other friends around him could for a while. He said yes to her request immediately just from the thought of talking to her again. This feeling is new to him, talking to her for that short of time almost felt like a consolation to his hard days and he wants to feel it again for the second time. He smile to himself at the thought of how he was against the date at first. He may need to send Jennie a thank you message.

'It's a good day off,' he thinks while laying on his bed.