Thirty Minutes

The Date

12.15 P.M.

Just like any other day, Jaewon choose to sit alone eating his lunch below the biggest tree there is. In a day like this he prefers to be alone with his thought. He just got a call from his father that he'd marry the auntie he introduced to him while ago. No matter how he tries to make sense of it, he just can't. He knows she had gone for years now but it just never came to him that his father would remarry someone else. Jaewon is sure that his father loved his mom so much, he knows because in one of their phone call his father cried hard for his mom. And his father never cried. But now he is confused. Does love have different meaning for his dad?

Growing up, Jaewon was always the last one to let go when making a handshake. He was the only one who willingly shared his lunch box with Jiwon everyday in highschool year. Jiwon never brought any food nor bought anything at all, he didn't have enough money at that time. Jaewon always made sure that no one got bully on his watch. He was once got detention from defending this certain freshman he knew nothing about. He was that kind of person, and still is. He feels intensely. And when it comes to love, he doesn't let go.

A tear comes rolling down his cheek without he realizing. He is jealous of his father who's capable to love and let go. Even though his mom is not here anymore, he will never be able to call another woman 'his mom'. At least it is what he thinks right now. So when his father asked him if he's okay with it, he dodged by saying they should talk about it later, he had patient waiting for him. There was no patient. The ER was suprisingly quiet this morning.

He wipes his cheek with his hand as his phone flashes new notification from Kakao talk. It's from Lee Hayi, his date.

Hi, this is Lee Hayi. This is my contact. I didn't know why Jennie keep insisting me to meet you, I hope you are as good as the person she told me about.

Jaewon smiles a little. If anything, he should be the one who hope that Lee Hayi is as good as the person Jennie told him about. Today was not a good day, so he should be the one who hope that their meeting would be at least civil enough if it is not comfortable.

Hi, I hope you too are as good as the person she told me about. Do I need to pick you up?

This particular Lee Hayi, he hopes and prays that she won't be someone important in his life. He prays many night to god for not giving him more people who will matter to him. He prays to be left alone, because it is good, it is comfortable.

Oh no, you don't have to. Let's meet at Subway at 5.30 p.m.

With the last reply from Lee Hayi, Jaewon finishes up his lunch and go back to ER. It is a relief that nothing serious happens at ER while he's gone. It is a relief nothing serious has happened at all this past few weeks. It is always heartbreaking for ER staffs when tragedy happens. When it happens, they usually go to their favorite restaurant after their shift and drink as many as possible. Death is painful to everyone, to the one who's losing, or to the one who's watching. Jaewon finds it bittersweet how god lets people meet then rips them apart when time is up.

"Yo, where were you?" asked Jiwon.

"As usual, bud."

"Something happens?"

"I'll tell you later," Jaewon smiled, "how's Chanwoo these days? Is he getting better?"

"He looks better but apparently not on the report. I don't understand why a child as young as he is need to suffer like that. I know life is a joke but this is just blatantly inapropriate." Jiwon took a sharp breath. "I don't know what to do when the situation gets worse for him. He's so important to me."

"I know how it matters to you to see him happy and being healthy again. You both came from the same background, and he reminds you a lot of your childhood. That's why you sponsor him, right?" Jaewon paused, "but cancer is a , you know. All we can do is pray and trust that Sandara sunbae always try her best to cure him."

He pats Jiwon shoulder. Although he was saying positive things, he knows he will be as helpless as Jiwon when the worst case come. Chanwoo, that kid, has become a part of his everyday life. If time decides to rob him from life, he knows for sure he'll cry as hard as Jiwon when he found out Chanwoo was diagnosed with leukemia.

 

12.45 P.M.

"I'm sorry to call you here because it's lunch time. But since I'll have meetings outside until 6 p.m., I need to tell you this now."

"Geez, you make me nervous sunbae."

"Hahaha... take it easy." Siwan sunbae paused, "I got a call from HQ, guess who's going to the US?"

He smirked.

"Oh my god! Oh my god!!! Is it true? You're not joking right? This is not one of your silly pranks, right? If it is, I won't be hesitant to kick you right now!"

"No! Why would I do that...," he laughed a little, "you have good performance thourghout your time here, of course the HQ wants you too."

"Thank you. It's all because of your leadership too, sunbae. You know that, right?"

"I know."

"Tch, typical you." Hayi chuckled. "Anyway, when do they want me to move?"

"They said two months from now. But Hayi, there is something I want you to consider...," he said hesitantly, "you are a great team player. But I know you have a gift to lead. I have a position that I think will suit you most. This is the documents of the people from the team. You should take a look."

He hands the documents to Hayi. "And of course we don't want to lose a talent like you. We need you here. Please consider this at least, okay?"

Hayi takes the documents hesitantly, "I'll think about it."

She excuses herself and goes to her table. She is happy, but also confused as hell. She puts the documents as far as possible. This is her dream, she should not be shaken by a sudden offer. She believes working in the US will open much more opportunities for her but Siwan sunbae is someone who will not offer her something that does no good for her. She decides to think about it later. All she has to do now is finishing the feature she's been working for these past three days.