chapter one - prologue

that summer, of us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

----

 

“Alright. It’s done, you can wear back the clothes.”

 

It was the nth examination Haechan had to go through for the day. The procedure took quite a while, and when he glanced at the huge windows in his room, it looked like the sun was setting. He nodded and quickly slipped into his shirt. Suddenly, he got himself reminded about something important that kept bugging him. The former idol hesitated a bit, though he finally said it. “Ajusshi. Can I go to the matsuri? Tonight would be the last day of the event.” Sitting on the edge of the bed, Haechan swayed his thin legs a little nervously as his round eyes were staring at his uncle who was busily writing on his report card. He needed to kept everything in track especially about whatever he found out regarding the brunette’s condition after today’s checkup. “Please..?” Haechan pleaded, just making sure that his request wasn’t ignored, before a sigh escaped from the older’s lips.

 

He didn’t mean to disregard the other’s wish; actually, he was unsure himself whether to let him go or keep him at home. But soon after a minute of considering, he made his mind. “Not alone.” Sooman said with a gentle, fatherly voice, still so focused on his clipboard. “What?” Haechan tilted his head confusedly. “You can’t go all by yourself.” The older slipped a hand into his pocket, taking out his phone and typed something on it. “Ajusshi, they’re holding the event nearby, it’s only four blocks away - I can do it! I promise I’ll even be back before 12. Don’t worry..” He frowned slightly. Was it his way of saying no? Since it’s just the two of them around, and at this time the professor would have a pile of work waiting for him in the laboratory. Impossible, Haechan must say, that he’d choose him over all that just to see firework display. Sooman only offered him a sheepish smile after he pressed ‘send’ and slipped the smartphone back into his white coat.

 

“Don’t even think about coming before Mark gets here.”

 

----

 

『 You’ve  got a mail! 』

 

「Mark, are you busy? Will you come here for a bit?」

 

Today was an unusually slow day for the robot. The only idol work he had for the day was a simple photoshoot for a teenage idol magazine. Ever since NCT started working on their solo projects for each member, Mark's fame had sky-rocketed. He was being featured in a lot of magazines, articles, and even television programmes. He's been working hard every single day; his schedules would have usually lasted from morning till midnight. But today was unlike any other day. For once, the robot actually had the time to 'relax'. Sitting down in front of his computer, Mark proceeded to type away the rap lyrics he had yet to revise. At this rate, he estimated that he would be done before dinner time.

 

Bzzz.

 

Tearing his gaze away from the screen, Mark looked down at his pocket. Pulling out his phone, he opened his inbox.

 

"Sooman-ssaem? That's unusual." He was pretty sure he hadn't scheduled for any maintenance today. Even so, he decided to keep his questions to himself.

 

「All right. I'll be there in thirty-seven minutes and thirty-two seconds. 」

 

Having pressed 'send', Mark changed his clothes and called for a taxi.

 

---

 

“Hae.. chan?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Sooman blinked when his phone vibrated in his pocket, before taking it out once again to read the message. “It looks like he’ll be here in 37 minutes - something. I know his calculation would be highly accurate, so we better get ready now.” The older man walked to the door as he slipped the phone into his coat.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter