Screwed

Obsession is Blind

Dong Min is not easy to please. No matter how much someone wants to be friends with him or to praise him, it’d take a lot of time for him to warm up to them. But Bin is special. A week of only talking to him already found Dong Min falling for him. There was something in Bin that he adored.

 

Three months had passed after Dong Min realized his feelings for Bin. Three whole months without doing anything. When Jinwoo had encouraged him to confess to the other boy, Dong Min squinted his eyes and wrinkles his nose at him, like he said something really stupid but in reality it was him that was the stupid one. He didn’t want to ruin the relationship that he had with Bin. He thought it was better this way.

 

Or was it really?

 

Even though he thought that, deep down, he knew he wanted more. Although their relationship had slightly progressed, it wasn’t the progression that would lead them to dating. They’ve just gotten closer as friends. They started to hang out outside of class, exchanged phone numbers and even call each other by nicknames. Although they have indeed gotten closer, it wasn’t enough. He wanted to be someone special to Bin. He wanted to talk to him more, hold his hand, hug him, or kiss him. Dong Min wanted to be with him day and night. He wanted to be able to call him, his. The more he thought about these things, the closer he was to losing his self.

 

“Minnie!” Bin waved his hands in front of Dong Min’s face.

 

Bin thought it was a hassle to call Dong Min by his name so he gave him a nickname. In exchange, Bin had given Dong Min permission to call him by his nickname, Binnie. His lips curved upwards at the thought that their nicknames were almost the same.

 

Dong Min snapped out of his thoughts and turned to Bin. They were on their way to the cafeteria to eat with Bin’s group. Bin had told Dong Min about how he was a part of a dance group and has been hanging out with those people for a long time now.

 

Dong Min had looked forward to eating lunch at the cafeteria. Usually, Dong Min would go straight to the rooftop to eat by himself. Although he liked socializing with other people, he also liked having time for himself. Meeting Bin seemed to change that too. The thought of eating with Bin always put a smile on Dong Min’s face. Eating with him meant more time he could spend with Bin.

 

He stared at Bin, who was pouting that his friend was not paying attention to him. He held back a grin. “Sorry, what was that again?”

 

“I was telling you about the dog cafe they opened nearby, but I guess you’re thinking about something more important,” he pouted.

 

“Yeah, I was thinking about how you resemble a puppy,” he grinned, pinching one side of Bin’s cheeks. Bin’s face flush with shame. He pulled away from Dong Min’s grasp.

 

“You ignore me then make fun of me, you’re not the Minnie I know anymore.” He crossed his arms. “The Minnie I know used to be so stoic and kind and doesn’t make fun of me.”

 

Dong Min pinched both of his cheeks this time and started playing with it. “Uh-huh,” he giggled.

 

“What are you doing?” He sighed. Bin lost the energy to pretend pouting at Dong Min and just let him play with his face. There was a warm feeling inside him.

 

“What are you guys doing, flirting in the hallway?” A male voice called out. Dong Min and Bin turned around to spot a boy walking towards them. It was Myungjun. He was a year older than the both of them and Bin’s childhood friend. Myungjun is very protective over Bin, especially right after he heard the rumor about him. Bin had introduced Myungjun to Dong Min a few months ago. Apparently Bin had talked a lot to Myungjun about him so it was an easy ticket to a friendship with Myungjun. Dong Min had always wanted to know what kind of things Bin says about him but he doesn’t say a word because it’s embarrassing; which made him want to know more.

 

Myungjun stops in front of them with his arms crossed, raising an eyebrow. Dong Min stared at him then looked at Bin whose face had a slight shade of pink. He quickly pulled his face away from the other’s hand.

 

“W-we’re not flirting!” He yelped.

 

“Sure, and you’re not blushing right now,” the older dismissed.

 

“It’s because you guys keep teasing me!” Bin marched away to the cafeteria leaving the two behind.

Myungjun turned to Dong Min. “What’s up with him?”

 

“Dunno,” he shrugged pretending to be innocent.

 

When they arrived at their designated lunch area in the cafeteria, they spotted two enthusiastic freshman. One, telling the other something while the other is listening to it intently. One of them spotted the three and waved their hand.

“Hyung, over here!” They called out. The other one turned around and joined them. The two turned out to be Minhyuk and Sanha. They were also good friends with Bin. In fact, Dong Min had known Sanha since middle school. He was his closest junior at that time.

 

“What took you guys so long? We already finished eating,” Sanha whined.

 

“I was gonna buy lunch and then saw these two flirting.” Myungjun pointed at the two.

 

“I said we aren’t!” Bin pouted. Dong Min covered his mouth, trying not to let out a laugh.

 

“Yeah, whatever.” Myungjun smirked. Bin kept on pouting and Dong Min didn’t know how to handle the cuteness. Both Sanha and Minhyuk rolled their eyes not even trying to bother with their nonsense.

 

“Oh, yeah! Have you guys heard?” Sanha said enthusiastically again.

 

“What?” Myungjun said. Sanha glances at Minhyuk and gave him a look that says ‘tell them’. Minhyuk sighed.

Minhyuk started telling this story he heard from his relative about how this lady loved her boyfriend so much, she decided to lock him up in the basement so he wouldn’t be able to leave her. Dong Min thought it was absurd to imprison someone just so they couldn’t leave you. Why would someone even bother to date them if they won’t trust the person? He thought to himself.

 

“Woah, that’s really intense! I didn’t know people like that existed,” Myungjun said.

 

“I don’t think it’s real though,” Minhyuk said resting his face on his hand.

 

“But don’t you want to experience that!” Sanha interrupted. “I’d want my girlfriend to lock me up too,” he said with a dreamy expression. Both Myungjun and Minhyuk looked at him with disgust.

 

“I can’t believe I just heard that with my own two ears,” Minhyuk grunted. Dong Min giggled at their silliness.

 

“How bout you Binnie, what do you think?” Dong Min turned around to see Bin stuffing the food, that he bought from the cafeteria, in his mouth and still pouting.

 

“Come on! You’re still sulking?” Myungjun whined.

 

“Im mop palkin po you beabol” Bin said. His mouth was so stuffed with food you could barely understand what he said.

 

“Can you speak human language?” Myungjun mocked. Dong Min covered his mouth to prevent himself from laughing. Bin is too adorable for his own good. Bin continued eating, not bothering to correct himself. “Fine, whatever. You’ll  probably forget about it after you finish eating,” Myungjun shrugged.

 

And he was right. After a couple of bites, Bin gradually relaxed his face and started actually enjoying the food. Bin had always enjoyed the food in the cafeteria. He enjoyed eating food in general. He was all smiles after he finished it, forgetting that he was just pouting a couple minutes ago. That always happens when he eats. Every time he get sulky or slightly angry, he’d always end up happy after eating. Dong Min liked that about Bin.

 

But that was just one of the things Dong Min liked about Bin. As a matter of fact, he liked every bit of him. The way he talked so softly yet you could feel the liveliness of his voice. The way he looked like a cat but smiles like a puppy. The way his body was built but has never hurt a fly. The way he was so soft that Dong Min just wants to squish him and tie him up an-

 

“-crazy,” Jinwoo blurts out. Bin goes straight to his after school dance practice when class ends. So every time the afternoon bell rings, Bin would get up, give Dong Min a quick wave and then take off. Dong Min would go with him to his practice but he didn’t want to be too clingy and as a class representative he also has some things to keep up with(like homework). But today, he had some free time, so he went to the student council to hang. By hang, it meant he came to report to Jinwoo about his status with Bin.

 

“I know! It’s crazy,” he exclaimed. “I mean, he’s just so perfect!”

 

“No, I said you’re crazy,” Jinwoo corrected. “I’m going to rephrase what I said 3 months ago,” he clasps his hands together, closes his eyes and breathes in, “You’re NOT allowed to date him anymore.”

 

“Wait, what? That’s definitely the opposite of what you said 3 months ago.”

 

“Well I changed my mind, the you right now is too dangerous for him.”

 

“How is admiring him dangerous? It’s not my fault he’s adorable and soft an-”

 

He stood up and pointed at Dong Min. “That!” He interrupted. “That is why you are dangerous! You’re talking like a creep!” He continued. “What’s with you? I mean, It was fine when you only talk about him. But this! You’ve been acting really weird ever since you realized you like him,” he said sitting back down.

 

“You’re right.” Dong Min gasped. “What is happening to me?” He held his head. He turned at Jinwoo and gave him a pleading look.

 

“Okay, how about you stay away from hi-” Dong Min darkens. “Kidding!” He raised his arm in defense.

 

“Hyung i’m being serious right now,” he complained.

 

“Okay, for now, try to control yourself.” Dong Min didn’t question him. “If something goes wrong just tell me,” he said. Dong Min trusted Jinwoo’s words. He knows that that was the least thing he could do so he nodded in response.

 

I mean how hard could it be?

 

The next day after school,  Bin had asked Dong Min if he could wait for him. Their practice was cancelled because two of the members had called in sick. Myungjun called bull$#!t but he let it go because he also wanted a break. Bin didn’t have anything to do and he didn’t just want to go straight home. He would have invited Myungjun but apparently he had already made plans. It was the same case as Minhyuk and Sanha. So that gave him his last option, Dong Min.

At first Dong Min didn’t feel good about being the last option. But since it was just the two of them, it didn’t matter anymore. Going out with just the two of them meant that it was a date. At least that’s what he’d like to think.

 

They were on their way to the dog cafe that Bin was getting excited about. It was going to be exciting and they were going to have fun, until they bumped into a couple of thugs on their way. There were two big dudes, at least a centimeter taller than Dong Min, wearing their school uniform. Bin seemed on guard at the sudden encounter and Dong Min noticed it. He didn’t want this to become a big deal so he bowed an apology and was going to walk away until one of the guy grabbed Bin’s arm. Dong Min glared at them. They seem to be older than them but it didn’t matter to him. He was angry. They were going to ruin his ‘date’.

 

“Where do you think you’re going?” One of the guy groaned still holding Bin’s arm. “Do you think i’ll let you off just because one of your friend bowed,” he smirked. “Why don’t the two of you properly apologize.”

You were the one who bumped into us! This Jerk! Dong Min thought but he wasn’t  going to turn it into a big deal. He didn’t want to look bad in front of Bin. Not today.  He knew that Bin wouldn’t want this either. So both of them shared a glance and bowed.

 

“We’re sorry, we’ll make sure to be careful from now on,” Bin apologized.

 

“Sure, we’ll forgive you,” the other guy smirked, “is that what you think we’re going to say?”

 

Bin raised his head. “Huh?”

 

Before he knew it, the guy’s fist had already collided with his face and he was left sitting on the floor. Dong Min watched the scene with his eyes blown wide open.

 

“I know I’ve seen you somewhere,” the guy started rubbing his fist. “You were the reason one of my boys had stopped coming to school,” he continued. Bin got up and was ready to ignore what the guy just did. He probably thought that he deserved that. Dong Min stared at the bruised they left on Bin’s face.

 

Binnie’s face.

 

Dong Min’s vision went blank. He turned to the guy and started walking towards him. His hand formed a tight fist.

 

“If I knew It was you, I would’ve- huh?” The guy noticed Dong Min and before he could react, there was a hand around his neck. He was getting choked. “What the-!” He tried to fight him off but the Dong Min’s grip just got stronger. The other guy started yelling at him.

 

The guys started getting off the ground. The other keep yelling at him threatening him to stop. Dong Min couldn’t hear anything. His mind was blank. All he wants is to kill this guy an-

 

“M-Minnie?” Bin stuttered. Dong Min had snapped out and let go of the other quickly. The person started coughing trying to catch his breathe. Dong Min turned to the boy behind him.

 

“This- This isn’t- B-Binnie I-” Before he could finish,  someone had interrupted.

 

“What’s going on here?” Dong Min turned to see Jinwoo looking at them with rage(?) walking towards them.

 

“! It’s the goddamn president! Let’s get the hell out of here,” the thug exclaimed holding the other. Both of them quickly got up and run away. Dong Min and Bin remained at their position ignoring the two troublemakers go. Jinwoo tried to chase them but before he could they were already out of sight.

 

“Goddamnit! That was Young-do and Sung-kyu from class 2,” he barked. “I’m definitely going to make them write an apology letter!” He slowly turns to the two boys who had stayed.

 

Dong Min is still dumbfounded. Bin hates him now. He had seen the shameless side of him.

 

“Minnie.” Bin tapped Dong Min by his shoulder and the other jolted. Dong Min staggered away from him, brushing off Bin’s hand and avoided looking into his eyes.

 

“I-I gotta go.” He said and before Bin could stop him, he had run as fast as he could, not even bothering to turn back.

 

Dong Min kept going. He ran as far away as he could. Far from the crowd. Far away from his neighbourhood.

 

Far from Bin.