Confused

Obsession is Blind

Lee Dong Min; the most perfect student anyone could ever ask for (or what any teacher could ever ask for). Kind, smart, diligent, good looking and upright. The class representative and the kind of person that everyone looked up to. He was raised well, his social life is more than enough and he doesn’t seem to have difficulties with his academics so there wouldn’t be any problem in his life. Except for one.

 

And that is Moon Bin.

 

However, it isn’t just Bin that he has problems with. Dong Min just hates delinquents in general. He has always detested people who have twisted minds and who think they could just do whatever they want, including causing trouble to others. Dong Min thinks Bin is that kind of person. According to rumors, Bin beats up people for fun. He has apparently beaten up a kid on the first day of school. And, coincidentally, that person that Dong Min hates so much, has, for the past 2 weeks, sat right next to him in class. Desk to desk. And was just there, taking a nap during class.

 

Really. Why bother coming to school if you're just going to sleep and waste time?

 

Dong Min grumbles in his mind. Ever since he heard the rumors, he hasn't been feeling good whenever he enters the classroom knowing that Bin will be there sitting beside him. He had tried his best to avoid him and he’s been doing that ever since. He thought that would always be the case but today, he had enough.

 

When the bell chimed Dong Min turned to his left and glared at the still sleeping Bin sitting beside him. He had the urge to stand up, yell at him and beat the living hell out of him. As much as he despise him, he has to remain reasonable. But that is Dong Min's biggest flaw. Whenever it involves people with corrupted minds, his blood boils and his mind goes blank.

 

Back in middle school, he had a friend who was a target of bullying. The bullies would always beat him up and do whatever they want to him. By the time Dong Min found out he's getting bullied, his friend had already dropped out of school. What made him angry was not because his friend is getting bullied. It was that the bullies didn't even felt sorry for what they did. Not even a tiny bit of guilt. It felt to them that a kid that just dropped out of school wasn’t a big deal. And it makes his anger rise up even more. Ever since then, Dong Min had despised gangs, delinquents or any people who would do anything that disrupt the lives of innocent students.

 

Dong Min stayed at his spot for a couple of minutes. He’s contemplating whether he should really confront him. At this point he had stopped glaring and started studying his seatmate. Now that he'd calmly looked at him, he noticed that the boy looked harmless when asleep. Even when he's awake, he didn't look that much intimidating like other delinquents that he had met so far. As a matter of fact, when he saw him with his friends in the hallway, they looked like a pretty normal high school student. Dong Min never noticed this before, maybe because he was to busy only seeing the bad side of Bin.

 

"Hey," he called out to him. No answer. "Hey," he said, a little louder this time. Bin still won't budge. Dong Min tapped the boy and called out his name.

 

The boy jolted his head up. "I wasn't sleeping," he exclaimed in defense.

 

"Hey," Dong Min called out to him. Bin turned to him, eyes wide open. He turned to his side and back at him and pointed his finger at himself. Dong Min slowly nodded at him. There's suddenly a bubbly feeling inside him.

 

"Y-yeah? Did I do something wrong? I’m so sorry," He babbled. Bin seemed to have a lot of energy in him despite having his sleep interrupted. Dong Min hasn't noticed it before but the boy has an unexpectedly soft voice. He found it strange considering thugs normally have aggressive voice. But Bin's voice was soft but a little bit clogged. He has an energetic vibe and a soft voice. Is he really the infamous delinquent people talked about?

 

He snapped out of his thoughts and focused on what’s in front of him. "No, I need to talk to you about somethi-" he stopped midway as he sees the looked on the other person's face. Bin's lips are tightly close, eyes wide open as if he's trying to say something. Actually, it was more like he's trying not to smile. Dong Min raised an eyebrow.

 

"What," he asked. "Is there something on my face." He cups his hands around his cheeks.

 

"I-ah, no, I'm sorry," he stuttered. "I was just surprised," he continues, "that the famous Lee Dong Min is talking to me and making eye contact with me right now. Sitting beside you was already a miracle," He covered his mouth and and giggled. He gasps and apologizes immediately. "I'm sorry you probably find it creepy, right? I'm going to shut up now." Bin lowered his head, ashamed of what he said.

 

A minute of silence until Bin lift up his head just to see Dong Min's mouth hanging half open. He was dumbfounded. He doesn't know how to respond. His mind exploded and he's confused. The way he's acting all innocent and endearing is making him feel weird. Bin is making him feel weird. He feels like he's having second thoughts about his opinion about him. 

 

Bin waved his hand in front of him."Is everything alright?" He looked worried. No, nothing is alright . He's not going to get swayed. It still doesn't change the fact the he's sleeping during class and he's wasting his time here. Dong Min snapped out of his thoughts.

 

"Y-you shouldn't sleep in class." He didn't mean to stutter but he did. He tries to sound intimidating but he failed. He stared at Bin and noticed the dejected look on his face. It looked like he just got scolded by his parents. Dong Min felt an ache in his heart. "I mean," he added, now trying to turn completely away from him, "what if the teacher talks about something that's going to appear on the test and you fail? As a class representative, I-I wouldn't like that," he babbled. He doesn't know why he's explaining himself but he didn't like the disheartened look on Bin's face. Dong Min turned to his side and sees the boy brighten up.

 

"It makes me happy that you're worried about me," he beamed. He came to a realization and perked up with an 'Oh' and apologized to Dong Min for being happy right now.

 

He didn't like how his expression is so readable. He didn't like how Bin makes him feel.

 

Dong Min sighed. All the anger that he had before vanished and he just wasted his time feeling that. Talking to Bin seemed to have made Dong Min forget that he was cursing him in his head just a few minutes ago.

 

"Yes. I'm really sorry." He slightly bowed. He lifted his head up, his gaze remaining to the ground. "Since we're already at the point where you're worried about my lifestyle, am I allowed to talk to you from now on?" He sheepishly smiled. Dong Min didn't like how he phrased it but he had nothing to lose from talking to this person.

 

"Suit yourself," he said nonchalantly. Maybe talking to him will help him clarify that Bin is indeed the thug that he despise.

 

 

A week had passed, Dong Min's suspicion only grew bigger. Talking to Bin had relaxed him. The past few days that he spent, glaring and cursing at him in his head had slowly went away. It was like he was his poison as well as his medicine. Bin would make small conversation like how his day went or what food will he have for lunch or he'd talk about his friend's dog and how he couldn't keep them because he's allergic to fur (which Dong Min finds funny) or that he'd talk about his part time job that has late shifts, which explains why he always sleeps during class. He wasn't the kind who blabbers all the time, he seems to know his limit. But when he does talk too much, Dong Min would tell him and he'd apologize and stop immediately. Honestly the stories that he tells him aren’t that much interesting but the way he tells it to Dong Min seems to make him listen to it. It was strange. It was better if Bin had acted according to the rumors. But he’s the complete opposite from what had people said about him. Bin is too nice to be a delinquent but he doesn’t want to admit it. So Dong Min went to his last resort. He didn't want to but he just wants to confirm once and for all.

 

 

"No he's not a part of a gang," Jinwoo, the student council president, blurted out while shuffling the papers. Jinwoo is also Dong Min's closest friend. They have known each other since middle school. Dong Min went to the student council room after school because he knew the student council will be having a meeting and he waited for them to finish. He didn't want to disturb him since he was busy but he really need to know. Dong Min would rely on him when he needs help but not all the time. There are times that Dong Min would rather rely to his self.

 

"I can't believe you waited for me here just to ask me that," he sighed still skimming through the documents.

 

"Then what was that about him beating this person on the first day of school?" He ignored Jinwoo's sigh. Dong Min sat on the couch and leans forward holding his hands together.

 

"Apparently he saw a kid getting cornered-"

 

"And then he beat them up?" Dong Min looked eager. Jinwoo looked up to him and then back to the documents.

 

"No. He was the one that got beat up," he said. "Well nearly."

 

"That doesn't make any sense," he protested. Then why did the people think he-

 

"After the fight the bullies stopped coming to school," he interrupted his thoughts. "Thus started the rumor." Dong Min looked surprised. "He wasn't the one who did it though," he added.

 

"How are you so sure?"

 

"Because I know who did it."

 

"Who-"

 

"It doesn't matter. That's not why you came here, right?" Jinwoo put his documents down and gave his full attention to Dong Min. He rest his face on his hand. He saw the sullen look on his friend's. "What happened this time?"

 

"Jinwoo, I," he faced away from him and looked down, "I misunderstood him all by myself and believe in those rumors instead of my own judgement. I knew somewhere inside he's a good person but I refused to believe it." Somewhere when Bin started talking to him, he knew that he was happy. He knew that Bin was kind and that he like talking to him and he enjoyed his company. But he refused all of it because of those stupid rumors. Those stupid rumors which he believed. He felt his self-esteem sink.

 

"I still don't understand why this is getting in to you too much," he shrugged as he leaned back to his chair. "Normally when something like this happen, you would blame the other person for being misunderstood, which, is very immoral of you, by the way.”

 

Dong Min's head whirled at Jinwoo. "Didn't you hear what I just said," he snapped. "I-”

 

"Are you two friends?" He interrupted.

 

"Well no, but-"

 

“Do you know him entirely?”

 

“Well not entirely,”

 

"Then why does it matter? It's not like you're close enough for him to feel betrayed that you think of him that way, right?" Jinwoo whined. Getting slightly irritated as well at the sorry sight of his friend. There was a moment of silent. Jinwoo stared at him and raised an eyebrow. "There’s something else you're not telling me, aren't you?"

 

Dong Min’s eyebrows slightly furrowed. "What do you mean?"

 

Jinwoo leaned at his desk with a gleam in his eyes. Dong Min didn’t like where this is going."You like him, do you?" He blurted out.

 

"What the?! What are you saying," he burst out. Jinwoo grinned as he sees his friend’s face reddened. “I- That- That doesn’t make any sense! Can you stop joking around, please!” He got up and gathered his things. “This is stupid! I’m going home!” He marched his way to the door.

 

Jinwoo stood up to try to stop his friend. “Wait,” he exclaimed. Dong Min stopped hoping that maybe he’ll take him seriously this time. “I think I left my charger at your house. Can you get i-”

 

“Get it yourself!” He slammed the door behind him having enough of Jinwoo’s  rubbish as he walked out the student council room.

 

Who’s in love? Who is he trying to kid?

 

He keeps marching and then slows down. Leaving all the issue with Jinwoo aside, at least now, he knew that he’s been misunderstanding him all along. He felt a huge weight lift from him. I should do everything from the start. I won’t deny him from now on. Dong Min nod to himself.

 

 

The next day, Dong Min had gone to school like usual. The only thing that was different was his mood. He walked into the classroom, ready to start over with Bin. Maybe he could asked him to be his friend. He got excited from the thought. He spotted Bin. He raised his hand and was ready to wave at him.

 

Do you like him?

 

Jinwoo’s sentence suddenly popped up in his head. He lowered his hand and proceeded to walk to his designated desk. Bin spotted him.

 

“Morning, Dong Min,” he greeted him with excitement. It made Dong Min happy that, although Bin was always tired during class, he’d always have the energy to talk to him. In fact, it was only Dong Min that he greets with this much excitement and that make him even more happier.

 

“Morning,” he said. He sits to his desk and notices the class will not be starting for 10 minutes. So he uses this chance to talk to Bin. He turns to him and was about to open his mouth but he quickly turned away. And then he turns back to him. “You know,” he called out. Bin turns to him. “I was wondering,” he started, “since we talk a lot and all. And we kinda got off at a bad start,” he mutters, “can we, uhmm, can we maybe, be friends?” Dong Min shuts his eyes scared of being rejected. Bin continues to stare at him and he may have blurted out something along the lines with ‘aren’t we already?’ But he didn’t catch it. “What?”

 

“Sure,” he hummed. Dong Min perked up with his eyes wide open. Bin  is smiling.

 

“Really?” He wanted to make sure he’s not hearing things. He knew deep down Bin wouldn’t refused his friendship but he was still scared. He was scared that maybe Bin has been reading his mind about accusing him with something he didn’t do and resent him for that.

 

“Yeah! I thought we’re already friends though,” he said. Dong Min felt a sharp pang of guilt in his chest at the same time he was also really happy. He smiled.

 

He wasn’t able to catch up what was going on. It happened too fast. He felt both of Bin’s hand cupped to his cheeks. Bin gets close enough just so Dong Min and his face are just a few inch apart.

 

Dong Min blinked. He hasn’t processed what just happened.

 

“This is the first time,” he grinned.

 

“W-what is?”

 

“This the first time I saw you smile,” he replied.

 

“I always smile though,” he raised an eyebrow.

 

“Well yeah, but not to me. Also when you smile it seemed force,” he snorted. “But this one felt genuine,” he added, “I like it.” Bin smiled, his eyes forming into a crescent moon.

 

Dong Min’s eyes glimmer. Bin was right. Dong Min’s smile before was just forced and because during those times, he was still denying Bin. But he doesn’t need to reject him anymore. He felt his face heating up. He doesn’t know which one is the cause of it. He didn’t know if it was because his cheek was cupped between Bin’s hand. Or the fact that Bin adored his smiled. Or that the way Bin’s smile shines brighter than anyone else. Maybe it was all of those.

 

Dong Min was quiet. And then he turned away from Bin’s hand and stood up . “I gotta go,” he said with a straight face.

 

“Huh?” He looked up. Without saying a word,  Dong Min took off.

 

He run in the hallway fast enough to be able to go to the third floor from the second one in just a few minutes. He searches for someone. When he spotted what he was looking for, he immediately ran to the figure and grabbed the shoulder to turn to face him.

 

“What the-” Jinwoo was ready to punch the person who disrupted his morning until he came to face Dong Min, who is out of breathe.

 

“-like him!” Dong Min tries to catch his breathe.

 

“What?”

 

“I like him, Hyung! I like Bin!” 

 

“Well, that was fast."