1/3

Bae Jinyoung, Let's Debut Together!

Bae Jinyoung first saw him when he overshot the stairs to the stage during the first day of recording; the boy brushed off the awkward first impression with a cheeky smile and a humble bow.

Lee Daehwi, cute.

As the auditions began and trainee after trainee went onstage to showcase their talent—most ending in disappointment—the boy with the smile and his company mates had their turn.

From the numerous auditions, there were a few standouts; the Samuel kid with the devastating dance skills, the Ong lad with the distinct dance routine, and the two trainees from Hotshot. And as unfazed and slightly jealous Bae Jinyoung was of their talent, when he saw Lee Daehwi come up with his large shirt and shaking smile, he could only wish for him to do well.

 And do well, he did.

Lee Daehwi shattered all expectations with aplomb. The boy was not only a capable vocalist and dancer, he was also a composer and lyricist. Now, all of a sudden, the cute kid that overshot the stage has turned into this prodigious talent ready to reserve himself a seat in the Top 11.

And as the blond lapped in all the praise, Bae Jinyoung could not help but flash a smile.

 

 

He was backstage when he first talked to Daehwi.

It was after their audition, and Daehwi was sticking the large A onto his nametag, while Jinyoung watched from the shadows, his hands instinctively covering the large “C” on his own tag.

The four trainees were doing their post-evaluation interview when Daehwi caught his stare. Jinyoung flushed and bowed his head to avoid his gaze, trying to avoid any awkward encounter with the boy. But Daehwi was already on the move, and before Jinyoung could attempt a great escape, Daehwi was already extending his hand in greeting.

Jinyoung casts his gaze upward to see Daehwi greeting him with a genial smile all bright and childlike. The way his lips quirked up was warm and effervescent, holding with it a bright confidence.

“My name is Lee Daehwi. I watched your audition. I really liked your voice,” he says cheerily, eyes crinkling at each word.  

Jinyoung blushed, trying to hide his face in the little shade his cap provided.

“Uhm, I liked your audition as well. You were great…”

Jinyoung pauses.

“…All of you were great.”

Jinyoung tentatively reached to shake Daehwi’s hand. It was much smaller than his, softer as well; but most of all it was warm, so, so warm.

Daehwi smiled before suddenly poking his head forward to get a better look at Jinyoung’s face.

“Wow, your face is so small!”

Jinyoung was blushing full force now, mouthed frozen in a state of disbelief and shock.

“DAEWHI! Let’s go!”

The two snapped out of their proximity, Jinyoung seeing one of the Brand New Music trainees, Youngmin he thinks, gesturing for Daehwi to leave.

“Coming!” Daehwi chants, letting go of Jinyoung’s hand and fixing himself.

“Jinyoung, let’s be friends. I’ll see you later,” Daehwi says before he’s skipping over to his labelmate and moving back to their seats.

Leaving a heavily flushed Jinyoung shaking hands with the cold air.

 

 

The next time they meet its dinner and Daehwi spots Jinyoung lurking in a corner trying to look for somewhere to sit. He stands up and invites him over.

(This means Daehwi screams “Bae Jinyoung small face come here!” at the top of his lungs, gaining the attention of the entire eating area.)

By this time Jinyoung has somewhat acclimated to the atmosphere of the program and he had made acquaintances here and there, but none have yet to really stick. Daehwi apparently, wanted to be a permanent fixture though—not that he was complaining.

Daehwi had situated himself with some of his fellow A-class trainees. Jinyoung recognizes one of the Brand New Music boys with the snaggletooth sitting beside Daehwi, who was sitting next to Kim Samuel, who was sitting next to the HotShot duo.

The group notices Daehwi’s sudden burst of excitement and face him with curious eyes. Jinyoung feels like he’s in some bad teen movie being invited to the cool kids table.

Luckily for him, the group did not greet him with sneers, just a look of general curiosity.

Daehwi, having noticed how Jinyoung wasn’t moving, jumps off the table and grabs him by the arm to drag him over to the table. Before he knows it, he’s sitting beside the Brand New Music boy whose name escapes him.

“Guys, this is Jinyoung!”

The boys smile at him, snaggletooth giving him a questioning look.

“Oh, you were the one who sang growl with the cap,” he says, eyes brightening in recognition.

“From C-9, right?” Samuel adds.

Jinyoung nods.

“You have a nice raspy voice,” one of the Hotshot boys, “It still needs some training, but it’s very charming.”

The group nods in agreement.

“I know right, and his face is so small! Look at it!” Daehwi all but squeals, suddenly squishing his face for greater effect.

Daehwi has to stop touching him so suddenly, it’s not good for his heart.

“Yah, Lee Daehwi stop harassing the kid,” snaggletooth says prying Daehwi off Jinyoung, “I’m Woojin by the way,” he says offering his hand.

Jinyoung shakes it, finally putting a name to his face.

“This is Samuel, and that’s Sungwoon and Taehyung.”

Jinyoung bows.

“And this little firecracker as you may already know is Daehwi, I’m sorry you had to meet him.”

Daehwi pouts as he smacks Woojin on the shoulder.

“If anyone’s sad about meeting anyone, it’s you!”

Jinyoung utters his first words to stop the squabbling.

“It’s okay, there’s nothing to be sorry about.”

Daewhi smiles big and wide at him.

 

 

The next time Jinyoung hears from Daehwi is through kakaotalk at half past twelve in the morning.

Daehwi begins with “HI JINYOUNG! IT’S DAEHWI!”

They end up talking until sunrise.

 

 

Jinyoung doesn't know how long it was, a week, maybe a year, but they were about to pick their first center.

Time in the training center felt like a very exhausting dream. He doesn’t know how fast time passed, but suddenly they were here. Much has changed over the span of their training. Jinyoung had been demoted to a lowly F after not performing well during his re-evaluation, but on the bright side he had more friends now, and was slowly getting used to the motions of the show.

Then there was Daehwi. Where does he begin with him.

They’ve gotten really close over the show. Jinyoung found it hard how he functioned before Daehwi, because he had creeped his way into every facet of Jinyoung’s life. Everyday wasn’t complete without talking to Daehwi, or mentioning Daehwi, or seeing his face.

He wasn’t flustered around Daehwi anymore, now he smiled and laughed and breathed him in. It was several levels of disgusting according to Jihoon, but ignores this because Daehwi isn’t disgusting.

Daehwi is cute.

And as he sat quietly at the back row watching the pink sweaters prepare for their center audition, his gaze found its way to his friend.

There were more now in the coveted spot, some from B, some from C, and even one from F. They were diverse, and all undoubtedly talented, but Jinyoung already had his vote set for a certain blond with an intoxicating smile.

But as the individual audition began, he was reminded that even those at A could feel nervous, like Daehwi’s labelmate Im Youngmin and the former F trainee, Kim Taedong. But there were those, like Park Woojin, who bowed to a standing ovation.

And as the competitors slowly dwindled, a distinct bowl cut rose from the crowd to make his mark.

The music began. And while rappers and dancers would begin with their freestyles, vocalists usually just sang the song.

Daehwi threw the crowd for a loop.

As the music started beating, Daehwi looked at his audience with a practiced smile and said, “listen.”

And with Nayana blaring through the speakers, Daehwi smiled and began to singing Pick Me. It was a risk, and though it did not showcase his vocals like little Woojin did, it was a performance fit for a center.

Charismatic

Innovatove

Charming

Attention-grabbing

 

There was a collective silence as they observed the most unorthodox performance of the day. At that point Jinyoung knew he was going to be center, if the collective admiration was any indication.

Daehwi's star was rising. Fast.

But Daehwi didn't treat him any less. Daehwi still stuck to Jinyoung with his cheerful smile and energetic voice. He still clung onto Jinyoung and messaged him when they weren't at the dorms.

He was still that boy who was so enchanted by how small Jinyoung's face was.

And as Daehwi started to rise on the platform, way above a hundred pairs of envious eyes, Jinyoung couldn’t help but want to stand there with him.

 

 

To begin the next recording, the trainees were to watch the first episode. As Jinyoung walked into the sprawling room fitted for a hundred people, a bob of bright blond hair had invaded his vision and was dragging him into a seat next to him.

At this point, Jinyoung had made more friends here than he thought he would. Even if it was a competition, they were united under a common goal, and that was enough to bring them closer to each other.

But among the throng of bright smiles and overwhelming talent, his blond friend still sparkled the most.

Daehwi smiled and Jinyoung smiled back.

"Wow, you should really smile more, you'll get all the votes."

Jinyoung shrugged in disbelief, "I'll only get the scraps from everyone who voted for the center."

Daehwi just shakes his head and latches on to Jinyoung as the opening credits play.

They stay close the entire time, heads near each other, limbs slightly touching. At this point, Jinyoung was used to Daehwi beside him. It felt comforting having him next to him, intoxicating almost. The two had become very close throughout the duration of their training, so much so that people sometimes just lumped them together.

There was one time Youngmin came to him looking for Daehwi because someone, Daniel he thinks, mentioned that he saw Jinyoung in a room. Youngmin was actually surprised to see Jinyoung without Daehwi attached to him.

“Sorry, I’m too used to seeing you beside Daehwi all the time.”

Jinyoung didn’t pay too much mind to it.

In a flash the first episode ended and the rankings now showed on screen.

Jinyoung clammed up. he didn't expect much after his atrocious audition but was beyond surprised to find out that he was at 5. He expected to get ranked at the deep thirties at best, but being in the top 11 was never in his immediate goals. He was pleased, beyond pleased actually—even ecstatic. But not as enthusiastic as his seatmate who, in his excitement, practically smacked Jinyoung until his arm went numb.

Even though his seatmate was two ranks above him, only outvoted by Park Jihoon and Jang Moonbok.  

But when Daehwi sees his ranks, his smile is different when he sees the results. It's a smile of relief rather than excitement. He looked like he released a belabored breath as he saw the shining number atop his name.

It was the first time Jinyoung saw his friend so subdued.

 

The first time Jinyoung sees Daehwi cry is at 2 in the morning.

Jinyoung couldn’t sleep that night and decided to take a walk to get his mind off things. He was about to turn a corner when he heard a quiet sob coming from a distance. Turning the corner, Jinyoung was surprised to find a blond bob of hair crouched in a corner.

Knowing full well who it was, Jinyoung bolts and crouches next to his friend.

“Daehwi.”

Eyes peer from under the veil of hair. Irises trickled with angry red veins, lashes damp with fresh tears, and eyelids flared in soft pink.

“J-jinyoung?”

Daehwi weakly tries to wipe the tears of his face standing up abruptly. Jinyoung, in his surprise, almost topples to the ground, but a warm hand finds his and steadies him back.

“Walk with me,” Daehwi murmurs.

Jinyoung nods as Daehwi clutches on to him as they walk through the quiet corridors. Throughout strolling the empty hallways, the two did not exchange words, Jinyoung still reeling in shock and Daehwi determined to get out of the dorms.

They arrive at the courtyard right outside the training center. Daehwi finally stops and plants himself by the ledge of the fountain, gesturing for Jinyoung to sit next to him.

Their hands still clasped throughout the entire ordeal.

“Why were you crying,” Jinyoung asks, his voice still gravely from not having been used, as he grabs on tighter to Daehwi’s hand.

Daehwi shakes his head and takes a deep breath.

“I just miss my dad.”

Jinyoung freezes as soon as the words leave his lips.

Daehwi had talked to him about his mother and his journey to South Korea. How his mother was living in the United States. How he barely knew Korean when he first stepped into the country. And how he misses the most important person in his life.

But he’s never talked about his father. Daehwi had been tight lipped about anything regarding his dad. Jinyoung never knew if he left their family, or if Daehwi’s father had already passed.

He doesn’t want to pry, so he just hugs Daehwi tightly to him. It’s then that fresh tears fall from his tired eyes.

“It’s been so long,” Daehwi says through fresh tears, “I miss him so much.”

“It’s okay. Let it out. Just let it out,” Jinyoung says trying his hardest to choke down the tears that were threatening to escape.

Daehwi was usually the one who comforted Jinyoung when he couldn’t catch a part in a choreography, or when he felt that his talents were lacking.

If he was being honest, Jinyoung somehow felt so inadequate in terms of their relationship. It was always Daehwi who was helping him, encouraging him, and making him feel better, that Jinyoung sometimes felt like he was hindering Daehwi rather than helping him.

 “I’m sure he’s proud of you. Everyone’s proud of you.”

Daehwi buries his face into Jinyoung’s chest as he continues to sob.

“I want him to see me on stage,” he whispers, “Ever since I was young, I kept on telling him that I wanted to be a singer. I want to make him happy in heaven.”

Jinyoung can feel a tear cascading down his face as he tightens his grip on Daehwi’s body.

“You’re so strong, Daehwi. I’m certain he’s smiling down on you right now. I’m sure he’s so proud of you. Now you just have to work hard to debut, okay?”

Daehwi nods, face still squished into his now damp shirt. They stay silent for a few moments, Daehwi having stopped crying. After what seems like minutes, Daehwi extricates himself from Jinyoung and smiles at him.

“Jinyoung, can you promise me something?”

“Anything.”

“let’s debut together, okay?”

Jinyoung’s smile is big.

Against all odds, he promises Daehwi. He would promise Daehwi the world if he could.

“We will Daehwi. We’ll debut together.”

“Thank you, Jinyoung.

 

 

Daehwi chose him during the first group evaluation. Their team, if he was being honest, had a pretty good chance of winning. Mostly because Daehwi having first pick meant he assembled a team that would rack in all the votes without even trying. There was Samuel, a perennial vote magnet with his overflowing charisma and talent; Ha Sungwoon, one of the best vocalist in the entire cast and fellow A class; Joo Haknyeon, an undeniable visual and all-around great dancer, lee Euiwoong the cute and charismatic rapper, and rounding out the popularity powerhouse was current number 1 Park Jihoon.

There was a trend Jinyoung had noticed ever since the promise by the fountain. Before, Daehwi was satisfied with getting to show his talent, but now, now Daehwi was showing a hunger that wasn’t there before.

If this lineup was any indication, then Daehwi was dead set on debuting.

It both worried and flattered Jinyoung.

He doesn’t want to assume that he was the one who propelled him to be like this—that he had that much influence on Daehwi—but it was a nice thought.

Jinyoung had been the same. He found this drive to be better, to train more, to improve more, to come out of his shell. But Jinyoung knew that as much as he wanted this for himself, a big part of him also wanted to do it because of Daehwi.

Daehwi who went out of his way to smile at him, hold his hand, and hug him. Daehwi who cheered him always. Daehwi who messaged him at 2am in the morning to cheer him up.

Daehwi who had made into his background image. Daehwi whose name he saved as “My Daehwi” with a heart for good measure.

Jihoon had actually seen Jinyoung’s background at one point and to no end.

“Did you really save Daehwi as your kakaotalk background?”

“Shut up.”

“Does he know?”

“Um…”

“Aigoo, you’re in deep.”

“Shut up.”

“Don’t worry, Taehyun’s like that also.”

“WHAT!?”

It’s a memory that ended in him hating Noh Taehyun for a good hour.

But now, with the way training was going, he was feeling more and more confident that he can go farther. He had secured a high spot, but he had a feeling that it could drop if he didn’t give a great performance.

He had a great first start, now it’s just a matter of keeping it there.

 

 

Things were sort of falling apart and Jinyoung was furious.

It was a few days before they were set to announce the first cutoff, and Jinyoung wanted to fight someone, something, anything, if meant Daehwi would feel better.

After the last performance, netizens began attacking Daehwi calling him “greedy” and “disrespectful” of other, even calling “ugly.”  They called him names and made fun of him, they took away the smile that Jinyoung loved so much.

“I’m going to punch someone.”

Jihoon and Samuel sighed from across him. They were eating lunch, Daehwi having left early because he “felt tired.” Everyone in the table pretty much knew that he had no appetite after the onslaught of negativity the crazy netizens left on every website they could.

 “We’re angry too. It’s so unsettling, even the BNM boys haven’t seen him smile,” Jihoon says while stabbing a stray chunk of kimchi with his chopstick.

Jinyoung shakes his head in frustration.

“It’s not like he did anything wrong. He just wants to debut.”

Jihoon and Samuel share a look. If anyone knew what Daehwi’s motives were, it was everyone in the training center. They all shared the same aspiration, and had no ill feeling toward Daehwi’s decision. Daehwi was given a chance to get a step up and he took it, anyone in his position would have done the same.

“Do you guys still talk outside the dorms?” Samuel asks.

“Yeah, but even his messages have been less, well, Daehwi.”

Samuel hums, “I think we just have to let it pass. Daehwi’s too determined to let this get to him, he’ll eventually find a way to win everyone over again.”

“I know he can. I’m just worried about him.”

“Punching a random person in the street is not going to help you get votes, Jinyoung.”

Jinyoung glares at Jihoon, “This isn’t about how many votes I get, it’s about Daehwi!”

“But you staying on the show is in direct proportion to Daehwi being happy, Jinyoung,” Park Woojin suddenly blurts, plopping next to Jihoon.

Jinyoung just stares at him, “What?”

Woojin rolls his eyes, “Don’t play dumb, Bae. As much as debuting is Daehwi’s first priority, making you debut has somehow become his newfound aspiration.”

Lately, his ranking has taken a bit of a dip, while the other top 11 have pretty much stayed consistent. Did he manage to give Daehwi more stress without him knowing.

“You two are hopeless,” Samuel snickers.

“He’s doing this for his dad and his mom…and himself,” Jinyoung squeaks as his cheeks turn hot.

“Ya, is deep dark ready to go deep crimson?” Jihoon teases.

Woojing scoffs at the boy, “To give you an idea, when we were shopping with Daehwi for makeup one day, this girl comes up to him and practically fawns over him, but do you know what he said?”

“What is the point of this—”

“He said, ‘Please also vote for Jinyoung.’”

“What?”

“Wow, you made him redder,” Jihoon says poking Jinyoung’s cheeks.

He’s shell shocked. Daehwi still thought of the promise even if he was going such heartbreak.

“I was offended at first, but no one can really compete against Jinyoung when it comes to Daehwi,” Woojin huffs, now fiddling with the leftovers of Jihoon’s plate.

Jihoon momentarily lets go of Jinyoung’s cheeks to chastise Woojin for being a slob, while Samuel stares at Jinyoung.

“I don’t know why you’re surprised. You guys are best friends,” he says.

“B-but it’s too much!” Jinyoung suddenly bursts out, “He’s too much.”

“Woah, chill out. I don’t know why you’re panicking over Daehwi being nice, he’s always nice, especially to you.”

Jinyoung shakes his head, his body buzzing in a way that he doesn’t even understand. Emotions were colliding against each other like a catastrophic car crash, and he can’t seem to calm himself down to breathe properly.

“Oh my god, I have so many emotions.”

The three are silent at what seems to calm, quiet, Bae Jinyoung jumping up and down in what looks like a seizure triggered entirely of overwhelming emotion.

“What’s happening?” Woojin whispers to Jihoon.

“I don’t know, usually Daehwi deals with emotional Jinyoung.”

“I still get surprised when he’s happy, this is too much,” Woojin murmurs.

Thankfully, Jinyoung’s little outbursts caught the attentions of some of the other trainees. Namely, Yoon Jisung and Daniel who were suddenly by their table with expression of concern and fear of what was happening to the usually emotionless Jinyoung.

“Is Jinyoung okay?” he asks tentatively, Daniel hanging off his arm looking like a lost cat.

“Well Jinyoung’s hyperventilating emotions and his body can’t cope,” Woojin says dully as he continues staring at the very fidgety boy.

Jisung nods and sits beside Jinyoung, putting a comforting hand on his back.

“What’s the matter?”

“Daehwi?”

“Did you fight?”

Jinyoung shakes his head.

“Why?”

“I-I…then h-he…vote…like, why?” Jinyoung murmurs.

Jisung continues patting his back as the boy continues barfing out words and syllables.

“Honey, I really want to help you but you sound like forgot how to speak like a person,” Jisung says calmly as he directs his attention to the other around the table.

“He was upset because Daehwi was upset,” Samuel started.

 

“Then Woojin told him that when a fangirl approached Daehwi, the little guy told her to vote for Jinyoung too,” Jihoon continued.

“Then his brain died,” Woojin finished.

Jisung nodded then looked over at Jinyoung.

“Are you overwhelmed?”

Jinyoung nods.

“Is it because Daehwi holds a special place for you?”

Nod.

“Do you feel guilty?”

Nod.

“Are you angry?”

Jinyoung shakes his head.

“Are you upset?”

Nod.

“Why?”

“Because he does too much. He cares for too many people that he forgets himself. Even when he’s the one who supposed to be taken care of, he still finds a way to take care of others.”

Jisung smiles.

“Then maybe, you can be the one to remind him that he does? Maybe you can be the one who takes care of him?”

Jinyoung stays silent.

“Do you want to do that?”

He nods.

“Then do it.”

 

 

Jinyoung finds Daehwi on his bed reading some sheet music. He always did that when he was upset. He’d drown himself in music to forget the things that were bothering him.

Daehwi looks up and gives him a half smile.

“Hey, where are the others?”

Jinyoung closes the distance and sits himself down beside his friend.

“They’re still eating,” he says, “I wanted to talk to you.”

Daehwi sits cross-legged and tilts his head in question.

“About what?”

Instead of saying anything, he just hugs Daehwi. Tight.

And in an instant Daehwi melts into him. His arms go limp and his shoulders sag. Daehwi’s strong front disappears in an instant as he leans on Jinyoung.

He doesn’t cry. He just enjoys the warmth. Daehwi enjoys the reminder that whatever happens, whatever insults are thrown at him, that whatever hardship he goes through—there’s someone who loves him.

And right now, that’s enough.

“Thank you.”

“You don’t have to hurt by yourself. I’m always here to take some of it away.”

“I know.”

They sit there in silence just huddled together in each other’s warmth.

 

 

“Jihoon, I think they morphed into one.”

“Shut up, Woojin.”

 

Author’s Note:
 

Hello, this is my first—and one of the first—Jinhwi fics posted ever, so please be gentle.

The way Jinyoung came out of his shell throughout the show was just so heartwarming, and I just feel that Daehwi was a big part of that.

Anyway, this’ll probably last three chapters, ending with the announcement. Then maybe an epilogue because these two just give me the feels.

Jinhwi isn’t the most popular ship in Wanna One, but it’s always been the realest. These two have been stuck onto each other since day one and I just have so many feelings about them.

And the recent onslaught of cute has been of no help for this addiction, so I turned my feels to fiction.

I hope you enjoy and support the next chapters!