Chapter Two

Trial and Error

 

Johnny returned the next day at lunch, seemingly coming from work.

 

"What do you want?" Jaehyun was blunt knowing from the other's grin that he was up to no good, “Is your father aware that you’re not at work?”

 

"Just contributing to the business," was the cheerful answer, Johnny glanced at his watch, “Plus, it’s my lunch hour.”

 

“Your lunch hour seems to keep on changing,” Jaehyun commented sarcastically, they all knew Johnny escaped work at every chance he got. There was a running joke among them that Johnny must have been a nation hero in his past life, there was no other explanation for his luck of being an only child and having a rich father that tolerated his flightiness.

 

Johnny ignored Jaehyun immune to his sarcasm, he briefly scanned their menu before he ordered two drinks. Jaehyun's brows furrowed at the extra order.

 

"Date?" He questioned slightly intrigued, Johnny merely smirked in reply before taking a seat close to the counter. Taeyong came out of the kitchen bringing out a new tray of pastries, he paused when he saw Johnny eyes narrowing in suspicion,

 

"What does he want?" He asked making Jaehyun give out a wry smile and a shrug. Taeyong rolled his eyes and started to refill the display counter. The bell above the cafe door chimed a few times admitting their customers and it wasn't until an excited 'Youngho' filled the air that Taeyong looked up. Barely anyone called Johnny by his korean name, the only person that Taeyong knew who called him that occasionally was-

 

"Doyoung!" Johnny jumped to his feet, arms already open to welcome Doyoung who barreled into him with an elated cry.

 

The two garnered curious stares that were ignored in their happiness to see each other, Doyoung pulled away from the hug first wide eyes b with joy. Taeyong’s heart stuttered at the sight, he moved away putting distance between them. He didn't think he could stand hearing Doyoung’s voice when all that repeated in his head over the years was the very same voice telling him no, sorry. Despite this his eyes couldn’t help but remain on the two, noting grimly how easily they fitted back together despite the years apart.

 

-

 

“You really are too much,” Johnny complained, hands resting on Doyoung’s shoulders still not completely believing that he was there, “How could you not come back for five years?”

 

Doyoung was beaming,

 

“You could have visited me,” he teased making Johnny let out an irritated cry,

 

“You said I couldn’t!” he said shaking Doyoung annoyed by his answer. He had asked the other numerous times if he could come over for the weekend, but Doyoung always had an interesting excuse to deter him from actually coming to Japan to visit him. In the first few months, they had stayed in touch through video calls but even those stopped and were replaced with sparse texts messages every now and then. Doyoung’s smile wavered for a split second, something that unfortunately for him did not go unnoticed.

 

“I said you shouldn’t,” he reminded Johnny voice unusually soft, “I didn’t expect you to listen,” his smile widened trying to compensate for the sudden drop in mood following his words. It took a lot of effort for Johnny to ignore the slight strain in Doyoung’s smile, he knew asking questions and demanding answers would only make Doyoung defensive. He skillfully changed the subject.

 

"Look at you," he smirked pulling at the lapels of Doyoung's suit playfully, "all grown and professional."

 

Doyoung groaned at the teasing slapping Johnny’s hands away to take a seat, Johnny followed suit.

 

"Shut up, I'm meeting investors this week. I have to look the part," he complained petulantly making Johnny grin fondly, the grin turned contemplative as he thought Doyoung’s words over.

 

"Investors? I-"

 

"Don't," Doyoung cut Johnny off, "I will not ask you to invest in my company!"

 

"Why not? I want to," the other said with a frown, slightly insulted at the quick rejection.

 

"Youn- Johnny," Doyoung amended as he saw Johnny's nose wrinkle at the name, "do you even know what I do?"

 

"Make games," Johnny was visibly pleased at Doyoung's look of surprise, he slid the drink he ordered for Doyoung across the table. Doyoung took a sip letting out a satisfied sound, impressed that Johnny had remembered what he liked to drink. Johnny smirked, puffing his chest out proudly at the positive reaction, "I've kept my tabs on you,"

 

Doyoung snorted as Johnny boasted,

 

"Then how did you not know that I've been back for three months?" He asked resting his chin on an open palm expression smug as Johnny's smirk slipped.

 

"Three months? When were you going to contact me? Were you even planning to?"

 

"Of course I was," Doyoung answered, "I was waiting until I settled everything,"

 

Johnny's eyes narrowed in disbelief,

 

"Sure," he let it slide, not about to ruin their reunion with an argument, "you're back for good right? No more random and impulsive disappearances?" He asked, slyly referring to Doyoung's sudden decision to go to abroad after high school.

 

"I'm here to stay," Doyoung confirmed calmly, "unless my partners say otherwise."

 

-

 

"Stop slacking off," Jaehyun's voice pulled Taeyong's attention away from Johnny and Doyoung. Taeyong felt the tips of his ears heat up as blood rushed to his face at being caught observing the two, especially after his interest was caught by the snippets of their conversation that carried to him. He tried to mask the embarrassment with anger.

 

"He's doing this on purpose," Taeyong hissed, "why would he meet Doyoung here?"

 

"Probably because Doyoung works in the area," Jaehyun answered rolling his eyes, he forced an apron into Taeyong’s hands "now stop stalking and get to work-"

 

"Wait, what?" Doyoung's voice rose catching their attention, "you're not dating Ten?"

 

Jaehyun and Taeyong frowned at the mention of their other friend from high school, Johnny's face flushed surprising them.

 

"W-why would I be dating him?" He spluttered unusually flustered.

 

"Are you serious? You- I mean-" Doyoung paused as he gathered his thoughts, "Johnny why do you think I broke up with you?" He asked slowly, Johnny's brows furrowed as he recalled the reasons.

 

"Because we were just together because of comfort-"

 

"And?" Doyoung leaned forward expectantly,

 

"Because you liked someone else,"

 

It was silent, Doyoung's expression shifted as he looked at Johnny, it was as if he had witnessed something utterly horrifying. He leaned back in his seat,

 

"You idiot," he began sounding exasperated, "I said we should break up because you liked someone else-"

 

"Oh," Jaehyun and Johnny said simultaneously. Jaehyun's shoulders started to shake, he quickly excused himself and entered the kitchen sending another worker out to take his place. Taeyong's expression darkened as Jaehyun's laughter filtered through the closed door, he was going to kill Johnny! How had the idiot misunderstood Doyoung and given Taeyong such grief. Said idiot was stumped, he turned in his chair to look at Taeyong eyes apologetic. If it were not for Doyoung's presence Taeyong would have killed him.

 

Doyoung followed Johnny’s gaze, freezing when he saw Taeyong and his livid expression.

 

"Taeyong?"

 

Taeyong’s murderous thoughts came to an abrupt halt at the soft call of his name. Johnny's expression changed in a blink of the eye, he leaned back suddenly looking pleased.

 

"Oh!" He exclaimed exaggeratedly, "didn't I tell you Taeyong and Jaehyun owned the place?"

 

Doyoung shook his head, eyes still on Taeyong. Taeyong forced himself to stand his ground and maintain the eye contact despite his trembling knees, he wouldn’t be a coward in his own shop.

 

"It's a nice place," Doyoung said earnestly making Taeyong's chest tingle with pride, he finally smiled as the built up tension upon seeing Doyoung left him,

 

"Thanks," he said surprisingly sincere, mood lifted greatly by Doyoung’s compliment that he forgave Johnny enough for a moment to commend him,  "Johnny actually helped by investing in us, you should reconsider his offer."

 

Doyoung's expression soured instantly,

 

"That's unlikely," he shot Johnny a derisive look, "I don't trust you, how could you not ask Ten out after we broke up?" He let out a drawn out sigh, before perking up as a thought hit him, "don't worry I'll fix this, you just sit back and keep being an idiot, Ten was attracted to it after all-"

 

"He was attracted to me?" Doyoung ignored Johnny's question as he contemplated something pulling out his phone and opening it.

 

"Keep your nights free," he finally said placing his phone down and making Johnny nod dumbly, he had forgotten how obsessed Doyoung was with making sure everyone's life was in order. The phone he just placed down suddenly lit up signally an incoming call, Doyoung frowned as he answered it. He didn't even have time to get out a greeting before the caller started to ramble in a panic, Doyoung barely reacted to the loudness brows merely furrowing more as he listened.

 

"Yuta," he cut in gently, "breathe and sit down. I'm two buildings away. Don't call Sicheng, okay? I’ll be there soon-" he shot a look at Johnny who nodded understandingly having heard the conversation between the two.

 

"Just wait for me okay?" He told Yuta before he hung up, he stood up.

 

"I'm really sorry," he apologised, Johnny shook his head as he got up to give Doyoung a parting hug.

 

"It's okay, I know you're busy. Go, I'll bother you some other time."

 

Doyoung nodded,

 

"Tell Jaehyun I said hello, I'll come by again," he turned to Taeyong who was pretending to be busy, "it was good seeing you, Taeyong."

 

"L-likewise," Taeyong stuttered unprepared to be addressed by the other again. Doyoung smiled and was gone just as quickly as he came, disappearing down the sidewalk amongst the throng of people out during their lunch hour.

 

Taeyong tried to pull himself together, it was over. The moment he had fantasized about for years was over, yet there was no relief or pleasure in showing Doyoung that he was doing well, that he was thriving even after being rejected by him. His palms were still sweaty, heart still heavy in his chest, there was absolutely no satisfaction in watching Doyoung walk away again after all those years.

 

-

 

Business slowed down through the afternoon, Jaehyun reemerged from the office area frowning when he caught sight of Johnny. He had thought the other had already left, he nudged Taeyong pulling him away from a conversation with a customer.

 

 

“How long has he been like that?” Jaehyun questioned disturbed by Johnny’s serious demeanor.

 

“Since Doyoung left,” Taeyong answered flashing a quick smile at a lady who picked up her drink. He finally turned to look at Johnny, true enough the other had on the same expression he had when Doyoung had left.  

 

“Jaehee,” Jaehyun called out to one of their senior workers, “supervise the front for a while.”

 

He then proceeded to drag a protesting Taeyong to Johnny’s table.  Taeyong did his best to hold onto the counter, he refused! He refused to be pulled into the problem, anything involving Johnny and Doyoung spelt trouble for him. It took one precise and sharp jab to his side to get him to the table. Jaehyun forced him onto a chair before taking another. Johnny finally snapped out of his reverie at their appearance.

 

“What’s wrong?” Jaehyun asked directly, Johnny sighed avoiding their eyes, “Is it about Doyoungie?” 

 

Taeyong frowned, chest tightening. Why was Johnny still so invested in Doyoung-

 

“Don’t look at me like that,” Taeyong jumped startled by the sudden attack, Johnny was glaring at him, “I'm not in love with him anymore,” Taeyong bit his tongue wanting to argue childishly that if that was the case why was he so defensive now, his heart clenched for no reason.

 

“I’m not in love with him,” Johnny repeated, gently this time, “at least not romantically, but I can't help but want to ease all his worries,” he explained, “I mean he wasn’t just a boy I dated, he was my best friend, I saw him almost every day for three years- I can’t turn a blind eye to his problems,”

 

“Is he in trouble?” Jaehyun asked since Taeyong remained silent, Johnny nodded slowly.

 

“Somewhat, I overheard his phone call, something to do with one of their investors-“ he sighed looking troubled, “and it’s not only that, he’s hiding something. Probably the reason he stopped contacting us all-“

 

“You’ve just met him today,” Taeyong cut in, “how can you be so sure?”

 

“People don’t just fall off the grid for no reason, Taeyong!” Johnny answered beginning to get irritated by Taeyong’s aloof attitude, “Doyoung’s not the type of person who would just disappear on us-“

 

Johnny was so convinced that something was wrong, so convinced he knew Doyoung so well, it made Taeyong’s skin itch.

 

“-trust me, I know Doyoung. I need to do something-“ Taeyong gritted his teeth at Johnny’s confidence getting irked at how insistent he was, something inside him snapped.

 

“That isn’t your job,” Jaehyun and Johnny expressions shifted at the cold tone, Taeyong couldn't control himself, “stop trying to be his knight in shining armor, if he wanted your help he would have asked for it,” He stood up ignoring the two who exchanged looks of astonishment, uncomprehending of what suddenly brought on Taeyong’s quiet outburst. He left slamming his office’s door behind him. He leaned against the door, trying to even out his breathing. Why was he so angry? Why was he so angry with Johnny?

 

He sat at his desk, mindlessly sorting through the paper work he needed to process. The door to the office opened, Taeyong didn't need to look up to know it was Jaehyun.

 

“What?” he asked pretending to go through the list in front of him, Jaehyun stayed in the doorway.

 

“What was that?” Jaehyun asked,

 

“What was what?” Taeyong asked back indifferently. Jaehyun was quiet, Taeyong lifted his eyes. Jaehyun’s brows were furrowed, visibly annoyed by Taeyong’s attitude.

 

“Don't play dumb, Johnny can do whatever he wants,” he finally said, “it isn’t wrong for him to want to help Doyoung, so why did you go off on him?” he demanded, “You wouldn't have batted an eye if he wanted to help you or me or any of the others? So why attack him when he wants to do it for Doyoung?”

 

An uneasy silence filled the air, Taeyong opened his mouth, before shutting it finding he had no answer. Jaehyun took a step back, Taeyong felt as if his silence had answered the question for Jaehyun. There was an unreadable expression on his face as he looked at Taeyong, it made his chest prickle painfully. He looked away breaking their eye contact terrified if Jaehyun looked any longer he might discover something more.

 

-

 

There was knock on the door, Taeyong put his phone down just as it opened. He was expecting one of his workers, whoever had the final shift that night yet an entirely different person greeted him. Johnny smiled when he saw Taeyong’s baffled expression.

 

“Want to get a drink? My treat.”

 

“Sure,” he said slowly, catching the keys Johnny tossed to him.

 

“I met your worker on his way out,” he explained, “Jaehyun told me you’d still be here.”

 

Taeyong withheld the urge to roll his eyes at how meddlesome Jaehyun had become, Taeyong would have eventually apologized to Johnny even without his intervention.

 

He remained silent as he followed Johnny to their favourite drinking place, Johnny ducked into the tent calling out his order as he sat down. Taeyong took the seat opposite to his, posture stiff. Johnny chuckled,

 

“Loosen up, I’m not mad,” he told Taeyong when he saw how cautious he was being, “just surprised.”

 

Their drinks arrived,

 

“I’m sorry,” Johnny began as he opened a bottle, his apology was met with silence. Taeyong felt as he was missing something, why was Johnny apologizing to him?

 

“I’m sorry for bring Doyoung to your café and not letting you prepare yourself, I know how you feel about him-“ Taeyong frowned as he poured himself a drink, “it must have been a shock to see and talk to him so suddenly-“

 

It was, but Taeyong wasn't about to admit that to Johnny.

 

“And I know I’ve apologized countless times for this, but I really am sorry for telling you to ask Doyoung out,” he chuckled, “I was so sure he’d say yes-“ he paused to drink not noticing Taeyong’s sudden interest, he lowered his glass, “so stop holding it against me. Also, I’m not competition.”

 

Taeyong frowned at his last statement, Johnny elaborated.

 

“For Doyoung,” he said with a small knowing smile, “so stop getting angry whenever I mention wanting to help him, I told you I love him like I love you guys. Purely bro love,” he laughed when Taeyong wrinkled his nose in disgust, how could Johnny confidently say that about someone he dated?

 

“Doyoung is blunt,” Johnny chuckled, “I mean he and Jaehyun got along so well because of that-“ Taeyong frowned trying to recall their high school days, was Doyoung close to Jaehyun as well? His thoughts were cut off by Johnny who continued, “but he’s also extremely sweet, he’s kind and when he loves he does so without limit and without wavering. So if he likes you, he’ll like just you. That’s why I’m not competition, so don’t worry-“

 

“Why does everyone act as if he likes me?” Taeyong cut in, “and as if I like him? Wasn’t his rejection all those years ago a clear indicator that he doesn't like me?”

He laughed, but his insides felt hollow. He grabbed his bottle opting to drink directly from it, missing Johnny’s concerned gaze.

 

“Doyoung made it pretty clear this afternoon that the reason you two broke up wasn’t because he liked me, but because you liked Ten-“ there was a bitter taste in his mouth, one he tried to wash away with his drink. The flap behind him was pulled aside, Johnny looked slightly relieved to see the new comers. Taeil grabbed the bottle from Taeyong’s hold,

 

“That’s unhygienic,” he commented with a smile as Jaehyun sat down, Taeyong pulled the bottle back ignoring Taeil’s displeased expression.

 

“Let him,” Jaehyun said as Taeyong drank more. He glared at them, annoyed at their pitying glances. Why did they pity him? He shut his eyes as his thoughts threatened to overwhelm him. What was he missing? What did they all see that he didn’t?

 



A/N: Hey guys!! Dropping off the second chapter, I haven't proof read it so I apologise for the mistakes in advance. I'll be back to edit them later :) Enjoy!