Chapter One

Trial and Error

 

Taeyong hid a yawn behind his sleeve as he arranged his cupcakes in the display window, lifting his head from time to time to greet the early morning customers that trickled in for their much-needed coffee. He did a final check, eyes sweeping over the colorful display for any flaws and when he found none, he lifted the tray from the mantle about to head back into the kitchen. He was about to turn when he caught sight of the man that passed by outside, smile too wide to be believable considering the early hour. The man’s eyes crinkled in the corners as he laughed, sound muffled by the thick window as the man beside him said something. Taeyong felt his jaw drop along with the tray he was holding, his heartbeat quickened, the loudness of it drowning out the voices around him. He barely heard Jaehyun come up beside him and lean forward to peer in astonishment at the man that had just gone by.

 

"Was that Doyoungie?" He asked surprise colouring his tone, Taeyong finally shut his hanging jaw too stupefied to realise that Jaehyun had addressed the man with such familiarity. It couldn’t be him, Taeyong thought. He was convinced he’d never see Doyoung again and yet, there he was walking down the street as if it were the most natural thing to do. As if he had not dropped off the face of the earth years ago, forcing even the people he was closest to, to lose contact with him. Jaehyun turned to look at Taeyong when he didn't receive an answer, bursting out into laughter when he caught sight of his best friend’s bitter expression.

 

"Are you still not over him rejecting you in high school?" He asked, laughing further when he realised he was right. Taeyong glared at the window, that wasn't it, well not all of it. Obviously he was bothered by how easily Doyoung had said no to him, his inflated teenage ego had taken a great hit and had never fully recovered despite people throwing themselves at him left and right. But what disturbed him the most was how Doyoung had disappeared after that, drawing questions from everyone and mostly him.

 

"It's all Johnny's fault," he finally grumbled picking up the tray and making his way to the kitchen to continue making the pastries that they needed for the day.

 

It really had been Johnny's fault. Prior to Johnny's suggestion, Taeyong had never been rejected in his life. Whether it was his parents or love interests, he never failed to achieve a 'yes' from them. If only he had ignored Johnny, he thought to himself, the outcome would have been different.

 

-7 Years Prior-

 

It was their final year of high school, a few weeks before they were set to graduate. Taeyong had just gotten off the football field where they had just won their final football match against a great rival. Things could not have been more perfect, for him at least. Johnny on the other hand, seemed to be having a bad day. Taeyong had entered the locker room intent on getting cleaned before the rest of his still celebrating teammates came in and destroyed the peace. Another student brushed by in a hurry, apologising as he almost bumped into Taeyong. He frowned at the boy, what was Johnny's boyfriend doing in their locker room? He rounded the corner question answered when he saw Johnny hunched over on one of the benches, mistaking the other’s posture for tiredness. He reached his locker only to do a double take when he caught sight of the tears running down his teammate's face.

 

"Uh-" Taeyong started unintelligently, never having seen the other cry before despite their long friendship, "are you okay?"

 

Johnny wiped the tears off his face,

 

"Doyoung broke up with me," he whispered sullenly, Taeyong's brows furrowed at the unexpected news. Everything seemed to be going smoothly between the two, he was sure he saw them in the cafeteria this morning laughing over some frivolous thing. Taeyong had never even seen the two argue and he knew even if they were the only ‘out’ couple on campus no one had dared to bully them knowing of Johnny's influential background. As if sensing Taeyong's puzzlement, Johnny explained,

 

"He said we should break up because he felt he was beginning to like someone else and that we were just dating because we were comfortable with each other-" he stood up with a small sigh, "it's probably you-"

 

"What?" Taeyong asked stupidly not sure if he had heard correctly, Johnny cracked a weak smile,

 

"Doyoung probably likes you."

 

"Me?" Taeyong squeaked, how in the world could Doyoung like him? They ran in two completely different circles, Doyoung preferred the more passive lifestyle, joining clubs that he could utilize his voice in such as singing and debate while Taeyong opted to delve into things that made him sweat like football and dance. It took him a few seconds to realise Johnny was still there, frowning at him as he dealt with his internal monologue, "sorry," he apologised belatedly not knowing what else to say. Johnny was quiet gaze calculating as he stared at Taeyong,

 

"You should ask him out," he finally said breaking their eye contact as he started to strip out of his muddied uniform about to step into a shower.

 

"What?" Taeyong was stunned, had Johnny lost his mind?

 

"It's ok, Doyoung and I are still friends," Johnny continued upon seeing Taeyong's incredulous look, "I'm not crying because I'm heartbroken but because I'm sad. Doyoung was right, he was my comfort blanket and letting him go is terrifying-“ he stopped with a tired sigh, eyes tearing up again. Taeyong took a conflicted step forward patting Johnny's back comfortingly,

 

"I'm sorry man-" he said pathetically, internally screaming for one of his emotionally adept teammates to come in to save him. Johnny nodded,

 

"Thanks Tae," his smile was weak, "But I meant what I said, it's okay if it's you. If you like Doyoungie, you can ask him out. Maybe then I wouldn’t worry about him so much."

 

And that was the beginning of the storm.

 

Fast-forward to the night of their graduation, the hectic ceremony had just come to an end. Taeyong pulled away from his proud mother to join in a class photo. He glanced left smile freezing on his face as he caught sight of a beaming Doyoung hugging Johnny before he left with his family. Taeyong wasn't sure what suddenly spurred him on to go after Doyoung, but he cursed whatever it was till this day. Taeyong entered the hallway panicking when he saw Doyoung and his family turn into another corner, thinking he had missed his chance.

 

"Doyoung!" His yell echoed across the empty hallway making Doyoung do a backtrack, he looked confused when he saw it was Taeyong. He cautiously approached the wheezing boy, Taeyong immediately straightened up.

 

"Go out with me," he blurted out, an expression of surprise settled on Doyoung's face before it melted away. The younger looked stricken, ducking his head to avoid looking at Taeyong’s eyes.

 

"No, sorry," he answered, turning away and quickly running back down the hallway and around the corner. Taeyong could only gape after him stupidly, he had been rejected. Kim Doyoung had rejected him.

 

-

 

Taeyong was still lamenting about the past as the day came to an end and as if trying to rub salt in the still open wound, Johnny appeared half an hour before closing time. Taeyong scowled at him making his brows rise.

 

"What did I do now?" He asked leaning over the counter to grab a cookie, Jaehyun swatted his hand away half-heartedly.

 

"Doyoung," Jaehyun said simply knowing the name explained everything, Johnny grinned.

 

"Still not over him rejecting you all those years ago?" He teased Taeyong earning him a hiss, he laughed, "I already said I was sorry- to be fair I was sad and tired-," he said trying to defend himself, "I probably misunderstood what Doyoungie was trying to say."

 

Taeyong's expression became bitter,

 

"Then you should have just kept your mouth shut," he grabbed the cookie from Johnny's hand tossing it into the bin childishly. Johnny rolled his eyes at Taeyong’s behavior reaching for another cookie,

 

"What brought on this sudden traumatic memory anyway?" He asked as he stealthily opened the cookie jar’s lid,

 

"We saw Doyoung-" Jaehyun told him making him pause and pull back in surprise.

 

"He's back?" A small smile spread across Johnny's face, Taeyong's glare fell at the sight, “that brat."

 

The fondness in his tone made Taeyong stomach roll, did he eat something that was off he silently wondered as Johnny eagerly drilled Jaehyun for more information. Someone poked his forehead bringing him back to reality, Jaehyun and Johnny were looking at him expectantly,

 

“Johnny was asking if Doyoung still looked the same,” Jaehyun said, “I just caught of glimpse of him-“

 

“He looks the same,” Taeyong confirmed, “a little taller and more lean, but his eyes-“ he trailed off remembering the way Doyoung looked like that morning, the corners of his lips lifted unconsciously, “-still sparkled in the same way.”

 



A/N: Dropping off the first chapter, enjoy!