The Big Day

You Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[ B E F O R E ]

 

It’s the last night in Coron and Park Jimin still can’t sleep.

 

The A/C’s cranked lower than usual, so the heat isn’t to blame for his sleeplessness. No one’s making a noise; Jungkook broke his precious Bluetooth speaker so he’s not busting any tunes. He also has plenty of space on the bed—perfect for his crazy tossing and turning.

So why can’t he sleep?

Probably thoughts—plenty of them.

A soft knock on the door breaks his reverie.

Good grief. Tell me that’s not a ghost, he thinks, gripping his blankets.

The knock continues.

Jimin grunts in annoyance as he throws off his blankets. He’s already having a hard time catching a good night’s sleep; he has a flight back to Manila tomorrow, scheduled at 9AM. He can already foresee his tired state.

Ah screw this.

He shuffles towards the door, grumbling as he did. He opens the door.

 

“Tae Tae?”

 

Kim Taehyung stands in front of him, hugging a pillow with one arm. He’s still in the same pyjamas he wore last night when he also barged in Jimin’s room, asking if he could sleep with his fellow 95z. During their interview for the Summer Package three hours ago, Taehyung recounted the story, saying Jimin pushed him out—and he can’t even remember it.

He remembers pushing Taehyung out, but not the reason. His guilt, however, got the best of him, which was why he bought his best friend a dream catcher necklace.

The exact one he’s wearing right now.

“What’s wrong?” asks Jimin.

Taehyung hesitates for a second. “Uh…I know you might say no…but can I sleep here?”

“Did you have a nightmare again?”

“Er…not really,” answers the other 95 liner.

“A ghost?”

“No.”

“So…why?”

Even under the dim lights, Jimin notices Taehyung’s cheeks redden in embarrassment. Secretly, he finds it cute whenever it happens, but he doesn’t point it out. Things are still pretty complicated and he doesn’t know if saying anything might make things worse.

“I just…want to sleep next to you,” answers Taehyung.

“Oh.”

They’ve lived together for more than five years already; Jimin and Taehyung are no strangers to sharing a bed, cuddling, or even wrestling. So why does this moment feel incredibly different?

 

“You know 4 O’ Clock could be about you, right?”

 

His Hoseok hyung’s voice resounds in his head.

 

Taehyung is still waiting for his answer. There’s a hopeful look on his face as he stands there, hugging his pillow. Jimin still hasn’t asked him for an explanation; it felt so wrong to do so. But his best friend is standing in the middle of a cold hallway, asking to share the room.

What’s he to do?

He opens his door.

“Come in, then.”

His best friend smiles gratefully as he enters the room quietly. Jimin watches him as he proceeds to the bed, jumping in silent excitement. Taehyung has always been adorable in his own way; like what his Namjoon hyung said, the boy has a talent for making other love his flaws—

It works well on Jimin.

“Jimin-ah.”

Taehyung is already on the bed, all tucked up in Jimin’s sheets. The older 95 liner can see his dream catcher from where he stood.

“C’mon, let’s go to sleep.”

Jimin obediently walks towards his bed, climbs, and settles himself beside Taehyung. He buries himself under the covers, enjoying the cozy feeling. He tucks himself and plumps the pillow he was embracing a while ago.

“You good now, Tae Tae?”

“Yeah, pretty much.”

“Okay. Good night.”

Jimin turns his back at his best friend, hoping to get some shut-eye and possibly, shut the thoughts in his head right now. Tomorrow, maybe he could talk to Hobi hyung about it.

“Jimin-ah?”

“Yeah?”

He feels a strong pair of arms wrap around his waist. Taehyung has taken the role of big spoon tonight as he pulls his best friend closer to him. They’ve done this before; Taehyung has always hugged him when they sleep, buried his face on Jimin’s nape, and shared a blanket. It’s normal.

It really is.

Except it isn’t.

These past months have been odd and confusing for the 22-year old singer. He just wants to know one thing: does Taehyung like him romantically?

The younger boy has been different. He’s changed his concept one too many times; he’s no longer that weird kid from Daegu—Tae is a sophisticated Seoul idol with a great fashion sense, all-around talent, and serious with his career. Jimin’s understood those changes, but the recent one—the ones involving him—it’s been messing with his head.

A song about dawn, claims of being soul mates, snippets of Hawaii, that letter, those words—

Does Taehyung have feelings for him?

Because Jimin does.

His heart pounds wildly against his chest as he feels Taehyung’s arms around him. It doesn’t help that his best friend’s lips are near his ear. If he could melt right on the spot, he would’ve done so almost immediately.

“Minnie?”

“Yeah?”

“Are you cold?”

With Taehyung’s arms securing him?

“No.”

“Good.”

Jimin feels the dream catcher pressed against his back—a reminder of how close he and Taehyung are right now, as well as how he just wants to ask the damn question.

Do you like me?

“Jimin-ah?”

“Yeah?”

Taehyung sighs, sending shivers down Jimin’s spine—literally and figuratively.

“Do me a favor?”

“Isn’t this a favor already?”

His best friend playfully bites his shoulder. Deep inside, Jimin is already dying.

“No, seriously.”

“Okay Taehyungie. What is it?”

He feels Taehyung’s lips touching his ears.

 

“Never walk away from me Minnie. I only have you.”

 

 

 

[ N O W ]

 

It’s 9 AM on a Sunday. It’s also Kim Seokjin and Kim Namjoon’s wedding day.

Inside a room in the seventh floor, there’s a shiny suitcase all packed and ready to go. A tag with the name Park Jimin on it dangles from the handle.

On the bed nearby lies the owner of the luggage, battling with his thoughts.

 

He has been debating with this decision since last night. Jimin knows he messed up; emotions and the alcohol should never mix. Had he been sober, he wouldn’t have exploded like that. But what else can he do? The damage has been done—and he did it a night before Namjoon and Jin’s wedding.

God, I’m so stupid, he thinks, rubbing his face, I ruined everything for them.

Jimin has been a pool of angst and resent ever since he got here, but he was determined to shove all feelings aside for the sake of the wedding. Life, however, had to be funny and send him into a hysterical fit last night.

He woke up hating himself.

I should just leave. It’ll make everything better, he tells himself, glancing at his packed luggage. He takes out his phone and scrolls down for the airport pick-up service. He realizes he hasn’t even booked a flight back yet, but he knows he’ll manage.

Just as he’s about to dial, there’s a knock on the door.

, I forgot about room service.

He was supposed to call it off last night, but he ended up lagging himself miserably up his room and throwing himself on the bed—drowning in a pool of tears. Immediately, he gets up and fixes himself, preparing his apologies to the staff.

“Yeah sorry, I cancelled last night,” he says as he opens the door, “I’m really sorry, I couldn’t call because—“

Except it’s not room service.

 

Taehyung stands opposite him, dressed in a loose dress shirt, a clean pair of shorts, and hands inside his pockets. On his chest rests a familiar sight: a dream catcher.

 

Jimin’s heart gets caught in his throat as he stands there, frozen. The sight of his ex-boyfriend in front of him is enough to steal his words. He wants to get mad, but he’s too tired.

“Yeah?” he asks instead, his voice all calm and weary.

Taehyung bites his lip; it’s a sign that he’s choosing the words to say too.

“They asked me to come get you,” he answers.

“Who?”

“The hyungs.”

“Oh.”

Jimin doesn’t move. Taehyung, on the other hand, peeks over his shoulder and sees the luggage.

“Are you leaving?”

“Well…I figured I have to.”

“Why?”

Why does he keep asking?

Jimin sighs. “Tae, you know why.”

His ex-boyfriend purses his lips. The older 95 liner wishes Taehyung would just leave. Seeing him reminds him of what he lost and it’s not the best feeling in the world. He’d rather leave now and keep everyone happy.

“Follow me first?” Taehyung asks.

His eyes say he won’t leave until Jimin does what he’s told. He knows that look very well. One time, Taehyung did not leave the front door for three hours until Jimin decided to go out with him for a nightly stroll. If he doesn’t go with the younger 95 liner, Jimin knows he’ll stay there until he moves.

He heaves another sigh and closes the door behind him. The dancer looks up to his former lover, silently telling him to lead the way.

Taehyung walks ahead, Jimin follows. Instead of butterflies, there are harmful wasps in his stomach, doubling the pain he felt physically and emotionally. It doesn’t help that his ex-boyfriend is right in front of him.

Mid-way, Taehyung pauses. He turns around to face Jimin.

For a second, he looks like he wants to say something. The producer doesn’t know if he’s ready to hear more excuses from this man. Sure, he loves Taehyung (he hates that he still does), but he can only take so much reasoning.

 

Instead of saying anything, however, the taller man closes the distance and takes Jimin’s small hand in his.

Instinct tells Jimin to pull away, but he doesn’t. The warmth of Tae’s large hand over his is too comforting. He needs it if he wants to make it through the day.

Without another word, his ex-boyfriend leads him out. On the way, Jimin can’t help but fear of what lies ahead. Taehyung said the hyungs wanted to see him; would they yell at him? Would Namjoon resent him for being such a brat?

Taehyung leads him to one of the cabanas. From afar, Jimin could already see figures huddled over the table. He gulps at the sight of his Joonie hyung.

He stops.

His ex-boyfriend notices. “What’s wrong?” he asks.

“I…I can’t do this,” answers Jimin, “I have…to book a flight.”

“You can’t leave, Minnie,” says Taehyung, “You know that.”

“But—“

“Please.”

Jimin has always been weak for Taehyung’s eyes, especially when they beg. He heaves another sigh and bows his head as he allows his ex-boyfriend to pull him.

Once they reach the cabana, the chatter prior to their appearance stops.

Yoongi is leaning on one of the pillars, arms crossed over his chest. Opposite him is Hoseok, tired and looking unsure. The couple of the day is not as lovey dovey as usual; while they sit together, there’s no sign of affection between Namjoon and Jin.

, did I screw them up? Oh god, are they cancelling the wedding because of what I said? thinks the panicking Jimin. The thought of him ruining his hyungs’ wedding makes him want to vomit. He weakens on the spot.

But Taehyung’s hold tightens.

“Hyung, we’re here.”

At the sight of him, the scene changes.

 

Immediately, Jin lights up. He glances at his fiancé and nudges him, lips pointing at the dongsaengs in their midst. Namjoon looks up.

“Jimin-ah.”

There’s no clear expression on his leader hyung’s face. It’s been five years since they lived together, so his Namjoon reading skills are a little rusty.

The Bangtan leader clears his throat. He hesitates, but one look at his fiancé’s face gives him the motivation to go through with it.

 

“Now that everyone’s here,” he begins, “I’ll just start with this: I feel like I owe you all an apology.”

 

He stands up from where he sat and eyes all of the members.

“I know what I did five years ago wasn’t exactly the decision of the majority; it was pretty selfish of me to bring it up,” he continues, “I’m not going to lie: I thought it would’ve been the best for us. We were all happy, but I saw that some of us were already tired with that life.”

By the corner, Yoongi nods. He knows what Namjoon is talking about; he was part of that some of us.

“At that time, I was also falling for Jin hyung, but I couldn’t do anything about it,” says the leader, “I know that outing ourselves would cost not just my career, but everyone in Bangtan too. As the leader, I had that burden on my shoulders—what I do will reflect on our image as a group. It was so frustrating. I didn’t want that; believe me, I thought I was doing the right thing.”

“I also considered Jimin and Taehyung; you guys were still together then. I remember hearing you guys talking about settling down,” he goes on, “But Jimin said you can’t because the spotlight was still on us. I really felt what you said that day, Minnie. Your voice was so sad and Taehyungie was just consoling you, saying that you’ll do so one day. I related to you on a deeper level, I figured I might be making the right decision.”

 

Jimin recalls that day: dance practice had just ended and he and Taehyung were alone in the room. His ex-boyfriend was lying down on his legs as they discussed the most random things. That time, they were talking about getting married one day. It was a good talk, until Jimin realized it couldn’t happen until they weren’t idols anymore.

He didn’t know his Namjoon hyung was listening.

 

“You know me, guys. As much as possible, I want to do the right thing for us,” says Namjoon, “Looking back, I guess I did, but I was also stupid enough not to consider everyone else. I thought of you guys as just one big massive unit—not as each member. , I even disregarded Jungkook; how stupid can you get, right?”

Their leader’s husky voice cracks at the mention of the maknae’s name.

He looks up at Jimin. “You were right, Minnie. My being inconsiderate of everyone resulted in this mess. I’m getting my happily ever after, but on the expense of my members. I even lost us the maknae. Last night, I realized that I’ve been a selfish idiot and I’m not proud. If I could only turn back time to make things right, I would.”

“I like to think I always had Bangtan’s best interests at heart, but I was wrong. And for that, I’m so sorry,” concludes Namjoon, his head bowed, “I’m sorry I failed you. I was too caught up with everything that I failed to consider you all. I’m really sorry.”

The 94 liner’s eyes are watery, but he stops himself from shedding tears. Humble Namjoon bows his head lower in shame and guilt.

The image is too much for Jimin. His hand, enclosed in Taehyung’s, becomes cold all of a sudden. He knows he said some mean stuff last night, but he regrets doing so now. He was just being honest, but he didn’t want to hurt his Namjoon hyung.

That’s the last thing he wants.

Jin wraps an arm around his fiancé, trying to console him. Other than him, no one makes a move because no one knows the right thing to do.

“Joon-ah—“ begins Yoongi, but he is cut off by Jimin. Before his hyung can say anything, Jimin has let go of Taehyung’s hand and walks towards the tallest member of the group. Without another word, he embraces his hyung.

 

“Hyung, I’m sorry.”

 

He feels Namjoon’s big hand patting his head.

 

Five years since their disbanding and Jimin did not acknowledge how hurt he was until last night. He used to think it’s only right for Namjoon to hear his pent-up frustration. Looking back, he has no regrets airing his opinion, but he does regret hurting his leader hyung.

“No Min, I’m sorry. You were right; took me years to realize it,” insists Namjoon. He then looks at each of the members. “I’m sorry for breaking us up.”

“Don’t be too hard on yourself, Joon,” says Yoongi, clasping his dongsaeng’s shoulder, “It happened for a reason and we managed to make it through anyway. Sure, we didn’t keep in touch as much as we promised, but we’re here for the big moments, aren’t we?”

“But Kookie—“

“Someday, Jungkook will let us explain and apologize,” seconds Hoseok, “Maybe not today or tomorrow, but someday. We’ll see him soon, but for now...we just have to do with what we already have—each other.”

Jimin releases Namjoon from his hug.

“I’m sorry hyung. I...spoke out of turn,” he apologizes, “I should’ve been smarter. It’s just that...I...exploded and I shouldn’t have.”

“Nah, it was only right Minnie. Otherwise, you’d keep it all and that’s not fair,” amends Namjoon, “And I haven’t been exactly fair to you.”

He doesn’t say it, but Jimin knows Joon is referring to his constant siding with Taehyung. Last night revealed much about how his ex-boyfriend dealt with the breakup, but more on that later.

“I really want to make it right,” declares Namjoon, “With all of you.”

“You don’t have to do anything, anymore, Joonie,” pipes in Seokjin, rising from his seat, “Sure, realizing that I’m part of the reason behind the disbanding is kind of...a downer,” he pauses for a moment, “But like what I told you last night, it’s best to man up and say sorry. I’m glad you did both.”

Namjoon releases Jimin from his touch to face his fiancé.

“Jin hyung...I know I should’ve told you about it,” he says, “But I was too scared you’d think I’m a bad person and you’d leave.”

Seokjin laughs. “God Joonie, you might be the god of destruction and a little pathetic sometimes, but you’re not a bad person,” he assures his soon-to-be-husband, “You’ve made mistakes; we all have. That doesn’t mean I have to ditch you...why do you think I’m marrying you?”

Namjoon blushes. “Because I’m hot?”

“Good grief man, sense the tone. I’m on a dramatic high right now.”

“Sorry babe.”

Jin wraps an arm around Namjoon’s shoulders. “Point is, we’ve made mistakes and we owe up. But today is a special day,” he says, “And there’s nothing I want in this world but to be surrounded by five of the best people in the world.”

Compared to the previous days, this form of silence surrounding them is not awkward or filled with tension.

Instead, it’s a sign of peace between the six Bangtan Boys. He can’t help but smile as he watches the scene unfold: Jin planting a kiss on Namjoon’s cheek, Hoseok pretending to be grossed out, Yoongi flashing his gummy smile...

And he turns around and sees Taehyung also smiling wistfully at their little reunion. A hand in his pockets, Tae immerses himself in this newfound peace.

Then his eyes find Jimin’s.

It is a moment of forgiveness. As Namjoon continuously apologizes and the rest of Bangtan affirms their forgiveness, Jimin and Taehyung share a silent moment. The exes have been through a lot in a span of six days—the older man thought he’d just be here, trying to avoid his ex. But alas, life is fickle.

He ended up trying to avoid the ex, sleeping with the ex, and realizing he’s still in love with the ex.

But what is the next step?

 

“All right people! We’ve sorted through the hard stuff now,” announces Seokjin all of a sudden, “We’ve gone through the awkwardness and everything’s sort of okay now.” He wraps an arm around Namjoon’s waist. “Now can we please get ready for the wedding of the century?”

 

 

Ugh, I hate this.

 

Yoongi tugs at his collar as he checks himself in front of the mirror. He doesn’t understand how Jin hyung convinced Namjoon to go with the suspender plus fancy bow tie combination for the groomsmen. Despite standing on Joon’s side, the rapper was still forced to adhere to the dress code as set by Groom No. 1. He and Taehyung are to wear dark blue bow ties while Jimin and Hoseok would don champagne gold bow ties to set them apart.

It’s already 12 noon—four hours before the wedding and here he is: the Great Min Yoongi stressing over his attire.

If it were up to him, he’d rather spend the remaining hours resting. Last night’s shenanigans and today’s dramatic episode took its toll on him. He wanted to just lie down and wake up an hour before the ceremony. But Jin hyung would cut his head off if he did.

“You should check if your suspenders and white dress shirt go well with the tie,” said the eldest.

He was about to argue, but when Taehyung asked if he could sleep first, Seokjin gave him a murderous glare.

Needless to say, no one argued after that.

I ing look like an idiot, he thinks, tousling his hair. He’s no stranger to dressing up, but Yoongi’s never been comfortable with fancy clothes. He’d rather be in his favorite hoodie and be done with it.

 

A knock breaks his thoughts.

 

If this is Jin hyung, I swear I’m lashing out at him.

He grunts as he approaches the door and opens it.

 

It’s not Groom No. 1 he meets. Instead, it’s Jung Hoseok who is fumbling with his bow tie.

“Ah, hyung!” he greets.

Yoongi hates that he’s frozen again at the sight of this dongsaeng, who is wearing a smile so bright, he could light up the whole room—literally. The 36-year old also looks dapper in his white shirt-suspender getup, except he’s not wearing his champagne gold bow tie.

“What are you doing here?” asks Yoongi, “Where’s your kid?”

“Oh, Jin hyung asked for her this morning. He says he wants to get her all dolled up, but I think he’s spoiling her,” explains Hoseok, “Honestly, that hyung is spoiling my daughter. Did you know he bought her four dresses?”

“And a doll, yeah I heard.”

“So, I’m left alone without my child and in suspenders.”

Suga couldn’t help but look at Hobi from top to bottom. During their Bangtan days, people would always say Jin and Taehyung were the most handsome members of the bunch. But if someone asked the rapper, his answer remained the same.

As Hoseok fumbles with the tie in his hands, Yoongi still stands by his belief: this dongsaeng is the handsomest of them all.

“I actually need your help with something, hyung.”

“What’s that?”

The lead dancer hands his slightly wrinkled tie to his hyung. “I’ve been trying for an hour already,” he explains, “And I figured I’m never gonna get this right. Then I remembered we’re on the same floor, so…” he smiles sheepishly, “Can you tie it for me?”

Yoongi stares at the tie in front of him. Hoseok is waiting.

“Sure.”

He takes the tie and invites his dongsaeng in. After all, fixing someone’s tie can be awkward out in the hallway.

“I’m not really good with these things,” remarks Hobi as he adjusts his collar for his hyung, “This is why I miss having a stylist. I’ve never been able to create a decent bow tie for five years.”

Yoongi smirks. “Didn’t you even try?”

“Well, didn’t need to. Since when have aspiring farmers felt the need to wear a suit to work?”

“There’s nothing wrong with being fancy.”

“Geez hyung.”

Hobi lifts his neck up as Yoongi wraps the tie around his neck. As his dongsaeng babbles about wearing a suit to the field, the latter is too fixated on the close proximities between them. Hoseok’s jaw line is dangerously close, Yoongi only has to raise his nose a bit to boop it.

Of course he’s not going to do that.

“Ah hyung…about that thing you said the other day.”

“What did I say?” he asks, returning his attention to the tie.

“About me being better off without you.”

 

Suga stops for a moment, but immediately recollects himself.

 

“What about it?”

“Why would you think that?”

Hobi moves his face down to stare at his Yoongi hyung, who is finishing the first knot. He doesn’t answer immediately simply because he doesn’t know the right words to say. How does he explain without revealing much of himself?

“Hyung?”

“Yeah?”

Hoseok’s hand stops Yoongi’s from tying, He holds on to his hyung’s small hands, eyes clueless to the soul-searching effect it has on the elder.

“Why would you say that?”

“Does it matter, Hoseokie?” asks Suga, trying to make it light, “I was drunk.”

“But when you’re drunk, you’re also honest.”

“Not true.”

“Yes true.”

The two rappers stare at each other.

“Why does this matter, again?”

Hobi sighs, his hands still holding Yoongi’s. “Because I don’t want you thinking that way.”

Suga can feel his heart slowly pacing up at Hoseok’s words. It doesn’t help that his larger hand felt so right around his. Unfortunately, Hobi decides to let go of his hand and rumples his hair instead.

“Hyung, I know I stayed away for five years,” he begins, “Believe me when I say I missed you guys every day but Minnie was right when he said I wasn’t completely sold out with disbanding. After the entire thing, I found myself so alone and lost. I wanted to talk to you, Yoongi hyung. Really.”

“Why didn’t you?”

Hoseok brushes his arm. “Well..I…I figured that seeing you would alone would remind me that we aren’t all together anymore,” he reasons, “I know, it’s stupid. But that’s how I felt. And I saw you guys were doing so well despite being separated. You just released a new track six months after we parted wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter