One

CAPTURED

Krystal smiled as she walked and the crowd roared louder. This was a familiar scene for her. The cheering crowd, the smiling faces of each contestant and her fast beating heart.

 

“Krystal Jung.  Eighteen.  Busan High School!”  She shouted with pride while her schoolmates cheered for her.

 

She was used to joining beauty pageants since she was young. With her long slender legs, milky white skin, gorgeous face and intelligence, she was a sure-win contestant in every pageant that she joins. She joined pageants before she liked the feeling of posing in front of a crowd and the stream of lights all around, but now, she joins pageants to earn money.

 

After hours of strutting the catwalk wearing different costumes for each portion of the pageant, it was finally time to announce the set of winners for this year’s Ms. Teen Busan. Krystal flashed her bright smile as she looked at the judges while walking her final catwalk as one of the participants. She stopped in the middle of the stage and waved at the crowd. She saw her mother ,Karina, waving at her frantically beside her brother, Kihyun who was smiling at her and her best friend Sulli who was shouting, “that’s my best friend!”

 

After a couple of announcements it was only Krystal and Jiyeon from the Busan Academy. They both faced each other, holding each other’s hands and looking each other from the eye. Krystal smiled hopefully at Jiyeon who in return, smirked at her. That surprised her to be honest. She knew the deep rivalry between Busan High School and Busan Academy but she didn’t think that Jiyeon would take that really seriously.

 

“And our Ms. Teen Busan 2017 is…” She felt Jiyeon’s hand tighten around hers, “Krystal Jung of Busan High School!” The crowd roared with enthusiasm and Krystal hugged Jiyeon as a sign of happiness for both of them.

 

The former Ms. Teen Busan passed the crown onto her head and gave her a golden sash with “MS. TEEN BUSAN 2017” etched in front. She couldn’t help but tear up a little. Sure, she was used to winning, but this is the biggest Pageant that she’s joined yet, and it was a success! Plus, the cash prize of a thousand dollars that would sure be a great help in paying for the debt that their dad left them.

 

“My beautiful daughter won! My beautiful daughter won!” Her mother exclaimed as she went up the stage and attacked her with kisses and hugs.

 

“Mom—Can’t breathe!” Krystal wheezed. Her mom let go of her and whispered, “I’m so proud of you, Krystal and thank you so much.” As she held Krystal’s hand and teared up a little.

 

“Anything for you, mom.” Krystal smiled sweetly and faced her best friend who kept on poking her side.

 

“WAAAAAH! Krystal! Congratulations! You were so beautiful on that stage!” Sulli shrieked as she hugged Krystal tight.

 

Krystal laughed and saw a bouquet that her little brother, Kihyun, was bringing. “Congrats, ugly.” He said and shoved the flowers to her face. Krystal stuck out her tongue and said, I love you too, ugly.”

 

After a million of photos that Krystal took with tons of people and endless congratulations that were said to her, Krystal and her family went home for a victory party. Not really, a big party, but just a get together with their neighbors and some close family friends. There was a banner that said, YOU SLAYED, KRYSTAL! Krystal changed from her long gown to a simple dress and a pair of sandals. She let her hair in a ponytail and refreshed her powder.

 

“Wow, Krystal! Congrats! You really are an all-around package! Beauty and brains, huh?” One of their neighbors said. Krystal murmured her thanks and their neighbor added, “When does the classes inBHS start?”

 

“Next week.” Krystal answered.

 

“Ah. You’re in your final year, right?”

 

“Yes. That’s right.” She said with a nod. It’s her final year in High School and then she’s off to college! Well, if she manages to save up for it or finds a scholarship.

 

“Any degree programs in mind?”

 

Krystal thought about it and said with a laugh, “Not at the moment, to be honest.”  Her neighbor nodded and then continued talking to the other people there. Krystal looked around and couldn’t find Sulli anywhere.

 

As if on cue, her phone rang. It was Sulli.

 

“Where are you?” Krystal asked.

 

“On my way! Sorry I suddenly disappeared earlier! My mom called and it was urgent.”

 

“Okay. Are you with your parents?”

 

“Yep.” Sulli said, popping the p. “We’re outside.” Sulli ended the call and Krystal went inside the house to get her mom so that they could greet Sulli’s parents. When they got outside, the Chois’ were there. Sulli waved at Krystal.

 

“Hello, hello! Thank you for coming!” Karina said while hugging the Chois.

 

“We wouldn’t miss this celebration for the world, Karina. You know that Krystal is like a daughter to me.” Sohyun, Sulli’s mom said and then she faced Krystal, “My dear! Congratulations! I am so proud of you!” Krystal hugged her and said, “Thank you, Auntie!”

 

“I saw your photos! You were so beautiful!” She exclaimed.

 

“Of course she is! Hello?! I’m her make-up artist!” Sulli said and pointed at herself.

 

“That’s true. Sulli’s hand could do wonders!” Krystal nodded in agreement with what her mother said.

 

“But with or without make-up, Krystal sure is a beauty.” Sulli’s mom said which made Krystal blush from embarrassment.

 

Sulli’s dad, Sungho, cleared his throat which caught all of their attention, “By the way, this is my nephew, Myungsoo.” He said while patting the shoulder of the guy behind Sulli. Sulli moved a little to the right to give them a better view. Krystal took the stranger all in. He was wearing a black v-neck shirt, ripped jeans, a pair of sneakers and a dog tag. He looked bored but nodded in their direction as if saying that he’s acknowledging their presence.

 

“He’ll be staying with us for a while since he’s been causing trouble back in Seoul.” He added. Krystal’s mom nodded and said, “Welcome to Busan, Myungsoo.”

 

Myungsoo nodded looking extremely bored and said, “Thank you.” And looked in another direction.

 

Krystal scoffed and glared at Myungsoo as he looked at her with indifference. How dare he do that to her mother?! Sulli, noticing the tension between them, pulled Krystal’s arm away from the crowd, “Whoo! I sure am hungry. Help me get food, Krystal.”

 

When they reached the buffet table, Sulli started picking what food to eat and Krystal said, “God! Did you see what that guy there did?! How disrespectful! Is he really your cousin?!”

 

Sulli nodded while chewing her food and swallowed, “Yeah. He’s just in his rebellious stage right now that’s why he’s here. To keep him in check. He’ll be coming to school with us and all. Ugh! I’m not even sure how I can hide my boyfriend Minho from him since I’m sure he’ll tell my parents.” Sulli whispered as she rolled her eyes.

 

Sulli and her boyfriend Minho has been together for months now, her parents are unaware since she’s still forbidden to have a boyfriend, being an only child and all.

 

“I’ll be praying for you.” Krystal teased and added, “I’ll just go to the bathroom.”

 

Sulli nodded and Krystal made her way inside. As she walked, people kept on greeting her and waving at her while shouting their congratulations. She was already near the bathroom when she bumped into someone.

 

“Ow!” She said as she rubbed her arm. His arms were like steel bars. Not that big but defined, she realized when she looked at them.

 

“Done checking my arms out, beauty queen?” Myungsoo said which earned a glare from Krystal.

 

“Won’t you even apologize?” She said and put her hand son her hips. Myungsoo his lip and smiled at her.

 

“I think you should.” He teased. “I can’t believe that you’re a stereotypical province girl. Honestly I expected something different when they told me that you won the biggest pageant in this place.”

 

Krystal scoffed. What did he mean by that? She was wearing a dress that was hugging her body. What’s the problem with that? “And the stereotypes I have for city boys isn’t like this…” Krystal said and looked at him from head to toe, “they looked better on screen.”