chapter 2

A bittersweet unfinished business
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ouch," Jimin mumbled trying to move a bit on the bed, cracking an eye open. Shards of glass were poking the backs of his eyeballs, scanning the area around him, focusing on the painting hanging on the wall in front of him. Suddenly he realized where he was; that was his room. His body ached, his limbs felt heavy and unresponsive, reluctant to move.

'How the hell did I end up here?' He decided to take his time to recollect his memories, but an unrelenting headache wasn't helping him at all.

He could hear noises coming from the other room.. people's voices, but they weren't loud, just whispers.

"Who is there?" No answer, just whispers.

Not fully awake yet, still dizzy and weak, he got up, noticing in that moment that he was still wearing the same clothes from the night before, only his jacket and shoes were gone and had been scattered on the floor.

With small steps, he dragged himself into the kitchen, noises getting a little louder every step he took until he reached the room and walked in, akwardly.

"Oh! You're up, I didn't hear you at all," Taehyung said, picking up the remote control to turn down the TV volume - which probably was a little bit too loud even for deaf people - before turning around to face Jimin again. "Oh god, you're freaking pale. What are you, a ghost? I hate ghosts! I bet you could scare one away if he sees you," he commented, getting up from his seat and rushing to his friend, grabbing Jimin's arm and pulling him towards the table to sit him down on a chair in front of a steaming bowl. "Eat up, you need to eat a lot to get through the hangover. You can thank me later," Taehyung commanded, showing off an unsure smile.

"Hangover?" Jimin muttered, massaging his temples before grabbing his fork to start digging into his eggs and bacon, trying to ignore his stomach, that was so upset that it seemed it was angry at him. "Oh! Oh my god, last night. Last night was a hell of a nig-" The desert overtaking his mouth, but he still somehow menaged to say something before being cut up.

"Aish how do you even dare to say 'what a hell of night' to me?" Taehyung yelled, standing up to get closer to Jimin with a furious look. "Do you have any idea how hellish was it? How worried was I? Do you? Of course you don't! Because who cares! Someone died there last night, I was just watching the news, it could have been you, but who cares right? Lately, you just care about partying hard all night long, having fun, drinking, dancing and Hoseok! That punk! I promised myself I wouldn't have scolded you but how can I not? Eh? He's messing with your head for God's sake!"

Jimin, who was shuffling his soup, looked up, meeting his friend's eyes and manteining eye contact for a second before letting his fork fall and rushing himself to the bathroom, locking the door behind him. After stripping himself and throwing the dirty clothes messily on the floor, he stepped into the shower, toes flinching as they touched the chilled ceramic floor. His mind was in shreds, unable to get that picture of Hoseok and Yoongi touching and kissing out of his mind. He turned the dial, old and metallic, releasing thousands of lukewarm drops, darkening his hair and trickled down his back. His eyes fell closed over and over again, each time showing him the images like photographs as his tears started to roll down his cheeks, fists meeting the wall.

 

He was a freshman in university when he first met Hoseok. They were drinking and he was there because it was a mutual friend's party, so they talked a little bit, just enough to introduce themselves, then he left to talk to someone else and Jimin didn't see him for the rest of the night until just as he was ready to leave. Hoseok was outside when Jimin went out. Far too drunk and he almost fell from the stairs but Hoseok caught him and held him for a few minutes. Jimin kissed him, too drunk to care or understand what he was doing.

He actually didn't know nor noticed that they both were in the university's dance program until one day, while working on a choreography for their school's art showcase, Jimin got accidentally kicked in the face from the guy next to him, causing him to have a nosebleed. Hoseok was the first one to rush to him, handing him a tissue and smiling gently before walking him to the bathroom to clean himself up. Jimin remembered his face and what happened at his friend's party right away, even though he couldn't really recall the guy's name. The other must have noticed that, because he just laughed and threw an arm around Jimin's shoulder nonchalantly before saying: "I’m your hope, I’m your angel, I’m J-Hope" and then teasing Jimin about being a princess and him being his prince, or as he liked to say, his White Horse who came and saved him.

After that they started talking, laughing, debating about work, texting and doing pretty much everything together. He even walked Jimin home once after inviting him to come see his performance to an underground place where he was going to have a dance battle and there, Jimin learnt that Hoseok's stage name was J-hope and tought the name really fit him.

A few weeks laters, Hoseok asked him if he had a crush on anyone saying: "My hearteu is an important businesseu" before asking him out properly.

Hoseok could make even the most ordinary facial expressions become the cutest thing ever. He always had this beautiful smile on him, a smile that showed all his theeth, and could brighten anyone's day, and it could make your day shine even if you were down. Jimin loved this about him and he could never imagine that the same person that made him feel so alive then, was the one tearing him apart now.

 

The change of temperature in the water made him come back to his senses. The sensation of the steamy water calmed him, taking his mind away, swirling. Coming out from his bubble, he stepped out from the shower, wrapped himself into his bathrobe and went back to the kitchen, eyes glued to his feet.

"I am so sorry." Taehyung rushed to say, standing up from the couch, where he was sitting with his head in his hands, with a catlike reaction. "I di-didn't mean it, I mean, I meant it but I didn't.. I mean-"

"Tae, calm down, would you? It's okay.."

"No it's not! I know what I said hurt you deeply. The moment those words left my lips I knew that I couldn't act fast enough to retract them. Your reaction was justified. If someone whom I cared about had said such things to me, I would have reacted the same way. 'I'm sorry' doesn't seem to be adequate. I wish I knew how to say it better. I've thought about it over and over while you were showering and wondered how I could have been so insensitive. I don't think I have ever been so disappointed in myself," Taehyung said, hiding his face behind his hands, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Jimin remained silent. He knew Taehyung was right; he was so much into Hoseok sometimes that he didn't even really tought about the consequences of what he was doing. He didn't like the way his friend talked to him, but still, seeing him cry because of that, made his heart ache.

"I love you--please believe me. I love you for your giving nature, for helping me through finals, for staying up late and typing my thesis; for the long walks; for talking about dreams and fears and hopes and hurts. We've shared so much. I just don't want to see you get hurt. I'm sorry," Taehyung said in between sobs.

Jimin knew Taehyung was really sorry and that he was just worried, he felt his heart warm up and he was really thankful for having a friend like him.

In the end, Jimin hugged Taehyung and they stayed like that until he stopped sobbing, with Jimin patting his head, sweetly.

 

 

“I see, so that's what happened and that's why you decided to go away on your own, it's understandable. I am going to kill that guy if I see him again. I knew he was suspicious - and an idiot. How can he do this to my Jiminie, my pabo? That jerk!” Taehyung angrily cried out while shaking his head, after Jimin took his time to tell Taehyung every detail of the night before.

“Calm down, calm down, you're not helping at all. At least I am lucky Jungkook helped me. Ah, right, you met him, didn't you? Did he say something?”

“Ehm.. who?”

“Maybe he gave you his number or.. I don't know, I don't even know why would he give you his number, I mean, you don't even know each other.”

“Jiminie..”

“ And it's not like he would give you a message for me or that he would like to see me again. Why would he?”

“Jimin..”

“Gosh this is so embarassing. He probably thought I was a problematic person, a crybaby. Oh my God! But I still would want to at least thank him, you know? He helped me and-”

“Jimin!” Taehyung shouted, freezing Jimin on the spot. “Calm down, you're rumbling. What the hell are you talking about? Who's Jung- Jung-, what was his name again? Who is he? I am the one who picked you up, who dragged and carried you up the stairs and put you to bed. Me, not some other random nugu or Jungwhaterver out there!” Taehyung angrily stated, putting his hand on Jimin's shoulder, coming closer to him to make eye contact with him.

“Tae, I-- I know you're the one who picked me up and everything, and of course I'm thankful and sorry, but Jungkook is the one who called you. If he didn't I would probably still be there. How come you didn't see him? What did he say to you on the phone?” Jimin carefully asked, noticing how alterated his friend was, even tho he didn't really understand the reason for that.

“Jimin..” Taehyung sighted before continuing with a tender voice, “I didn't see anyone out there, you were laying against a tree, in the park, alone. You were alone, Jimin. Plus, I didn't talk to anybody on the phone, you just sent me a stupid message saying to come pick you up, along with the position of where you were and then decided to pass out in the middle of nowhere. Again, you were alone, Jimin. Are you sure that this Jung guy even exists? If he does, he's just another jerk for leaving you there, alone, in that condition. Maybe you just imagined him, you were drunk and shocked-”

“No! I'm not crazy Tae! Jungkook was there and he helped me even tho he didn't know me, would anyone help some random drunk person? I don't think so. So Jungkook is not a jerk! That's it,” Jimin said, with a defensive attitude, before going to his room to change and prepare his bag to go to university.

 

Neither of them dared to say a word on the way to university. Taehyung was concentrated on the road while Jimin was spacing out, face glued to the window, eyes following the trees wizzing beside them. Everything was moving fast. Except for Jimin; he was stuck in his own thoughts, until a gentle hand shook his shoulder a little, bringing him back to reality.

“You really like to space out, don't you, princess? Maybe it's best that you don't have a licence, otherwise you would just be a liability, pabo,” Taehyung said smiling to break the tension between them, receiving a relaxed chukle from Jimin in return, before parting their ways to go their respective classes.

 

Jimin couldn't follow any lesson at all, which was strange. He was a model student and he had really high grades. Focusing on studying always helped him to detach from his problems, but this time it wasn't working at all.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter