Waking Dreams

Absent

   Sehun is sitting in class 12 years ago and can barely keep his eyes open. School doesn't interest him like it used to. His head hurts. He touches the forming scar underneath his hair and only wants to be comfortable and unthinking in the hospital again. Thunder rolls outside. He feels like he's awake, but isn't sure. The bell rings.
   Too many blank faces are in the hallway, but there's one that stands out. Smiling eyes, sly grin. Pushing through the maze of bodies, he tries to follow him, shouts and wants to run. He's engulfed by the moving people. The bell rings.
   He shakes his head and gathers his things. He doesn't recognize anyone there, but for a second, he sees someone that looks familiar. Sweet voice, welcoming hands. The crowd lets him through easily.
   "Who are you?"
   "You know me, Sehun." He holds out a round candy, and he takes it without hesitation. Moves the spongy sweet around with his tongue as it dissolves.
   "Do I?" He nods and his smile doesn't falter as he eats his own candy.
   "We just met recently." The bell rings.
   He blinks hard, once, twice. Leaves the classroom and is surrounded by strangers, but, briefly, sees someone he thinks he knows. Slight frame, stark black hair. He follows him out the doors, through a field, across the railway tracks, farther and farther, always turning back and calling him forward. Sehun continues long after he feels like he should have turned back. Continues until he starts to recognize where they're going, recognizes the stretch of grass he's being led to, the smell of gasoline and smoke. His watch chimes.
   Jolting awake, he turns it off and the class' focus returns to the teacher. The alarm tells him it's time to take medicine, and the aching pressure in his brain diminishes a little. He studies the other people in the room and wonders what it all means.