From Now On

From Now On

 

It was the start of summer vacation and Hyungwon was on board a train that would take him to his hometown. He had decided to go there and stay with his grandmother for the summer. His grandfather passed away a year ago, and his Grandma was living there with only his unmarried uncle. The tall boy pleaded for his parents to let him go. Since he was going to travel all by himself, they were hesitant at first. But Hyungwon told them that he was now nineteen and they should let him explore and do things on his own. He even added that they didn't have to worry about the expenses because he was planning to get a part-time job when he arrives there. After reminding Hyungwon that he needed to be responsible, and for him to not do things that would cause him any harm, they had eventually agreed.

The reason why Hyungwon decided to go there in the first place was because he wanted a change of scenery. He was used to the city life, but it was terribly loud and exhausting. He needed a break from all the hustle and bustle. And also because he missed his grandmother very much. He was fond of his maternal grandmother, she was the kindest and sweetest person he knew. She was ecstatic when Hyungwon informed her that he was coming.

The train screeched to a halt and Hyungwon jolted awake from his nap. At last, he had finally arrived. He stretched out his limbs that grew numb from the nine-hour long ride before standing up from his seat. He clutched the suitcase he had brought and slung his backpack on his shoulder, then he headed out. The bright morning sun welcomed him when he stepped out into the station.

His journey wasn't finished though. He still needed to ride a minibus that would take him to their neighborhood. When the vehicle came, there were only a few passengers inside. He politely greeted the driver when he climbed in, then he chose a seat beside the window. He wanted to enjoy the scenery outside. It was a distant and yet familiar view that hit him with a surge of nostalgia.

When Hyungwon had arrived at his stop, he didn't forget to thank the driver before hopping out. The driver said to him that he was such a polite and handsome young man. Hyungwon could only smile and he thanked the old man again for the compliment. When he stepped outside, he in a long deep breath. The fresh air made him feel much better already. He could see their house from a distance; their peaceful and humble home that he had missed. He reached for his phone from his bag and decided to snap a photo of it. The beautiful greenery and endless amount of flowers and plants surrounding the neighborhood, mixed in with the bright blue sky was simply breathtaking.

A delicious smell wafted through the air when Hyungwon had turned up at their doorstep. His grandmother was a great cook and he could easily tell that she was making something scrumptious. He couldn't wait to stuff his face with his Grandma's home-cooked meal. He rang the doorbell and waited. When the door flung open, his grandmother's warm embrace enveloped the young boy before he could even open his mouth to greet her.

"Hyungwon, my dear boy! Welcome home!" His grandmother exclaimed and she hugged him even tighter. When she had pulled away, she gave the tall boy a once-over. "My, oh my, look at how you've grown! Our handsome city boy."

A loving smile carved on Hyungwon's face. "It's great to be home, Grandma. I've missed you so much!"

This time, it was Hyungwon's turn to wrap his long arms around his grandmother. He inhaled her warm scent and it filled him with so much happiness that he could've stayed there hugging her all day. But then his stomach rumbled noisily.

It made his grandmother laugh. "You must be starving. Come on, let's get inside. I've cooked all your favorite. You can eat as much as you want today, and all the days that you stay in this house!"

Hyungwon chortled. His grandmother was always like this. She would constantly worry if he was eating properly. She often complained about how thin he is. But Hyungwon couldn't do anything about it even if he tried. He wouldn't get fat no matter how much he ate. His body was just naturally lanky.

As Hyungwon shoved down his grandmother's delicious cooking, he noticed that something was missing. Or someone. Where was his uncle? The tall boy didn't see the man anywhere when he had walked in.

"By the way, Grandma. Where's Uncle Seojoon?" He asked his grandmother who was in the middle of scooping more rice on his plate.

"Oh, your uncle went away." She simply answered.

Hyungwon arched an eyebrow. "He went away? Went away where?"

"He told me he was going to Japan.. Or something like that. I can't really remember. He left in a hurry that day."

"What?!" Hyungwon almost choked on the food from what he had heard. He couldn't believe that his uncle left his grandmother all by her lonesome. "When did he say he will be back?"

His Grandma shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. He didn't tell me anything. All I know is that he met some woman on that... What do you call it? Oh right, the internet! He met her on the internet."

Hyungwon gaped in disbelief. His uncle left just because of a woman. He left his own mother! But then he couldn't really blame his uncle for doing something so spontaneous, the man had been single for too long. He just wished that his uncle had informed him about it. He couldn't bear the thought of his grandmother doing everything by herself.

"When did he leave? I can't believe he left you here all alone!" Hyungwon slammed the spoon he was holding onto the table.

"Your uncle left a month ago," his grandmother slowly shook her head, "But you're wrong my boy, I am not alone. I have my old friends and they would visit me often. Our neighbor's son even helps me out around the house. He's such a kind and sweet, good-looking young man. I can't wait for you to meet him."

Hyungwon's grandmother beamed at him, and he could swear that he saw her eyes sparkle just from talking about this guy. It actually made him quite curious. He was looking forward to meet this person that his beloved grandmother talked so highly about.

-

Hyungwon woke up feeling refreshed and energized. He haven't slept that well in a very long time; without a loud alarm disturbing his peaceful slumber. He stretched out his whole body, and while he was at it, he grabbed his phone from the bedside table. When the screen lit up, it showed him that he had five unread messages and three missed calls. It was all from his mother. He was exhausted yesterday that all he wanted was to plop down on his bed and sleep, and by doing so he had forgotten to send her a text. He sent her a simple message that he had safely arrived and told her not to worry. He could manage on his own.

He got up and rummaged through his suitcase to grab a towel, then he went out of his room and headed towards the bathroom. One of the things that the tall boy wasn't fond of was that everyone shared one bathroom in this house. Back in the city, he had his own bathroom located inside his room. But it was only him and his grandmother in the house, so it wouldn't be a problem anyways. It was just another one of his petty problems.

On the way to the bathroom, Hyungwon glanced around the house but his grandmother was nowhere in sight. She must've gone out for her morning walk. When he opened the bathroom door, the tall boy didn't expect to see a sight so shocking that he yelped in surprise. Standing there in front of the mirror by the small sink, was a man that he didn't know, and to top it all of, he was !

"Oh my freaking god!" Hyungwon covered his eyes by reflex, "Who are you?! And what are you doing in my house?!" He screamed. He heard the man's hurried movements while the taller was trying hard not to look.

"Oh no! I'm so sorry! Oh my god! I didn't know that there was someone else in here!" The man frantically said.

When Hyungwon didn't move and answer, the man continued on, "I-I didn't see Grandma when I came in, so I assumed that she went out for her walk. Uh.. Y-you see.. The drainage in our house has been broken for a week. And your Grandma let me use your bathroom. I-I swear I didn't know you were here! I'm really sorry!"

"I-I should probably leave and let you finish your business. B-bye!" Hyungwon closed the door in a snap, then he ran away from there as fast as he could.

The moment Hyungwon got to his room, he quickly locked the door and stayed frozen on that spot, clutching the doorknob with both hands. He was breathing heavily and his heart was beating in an unusually fast pace. He couldn't believe what he had witnessed. He just saw a man! And he hated himself for thinking that that man had the iest body he had ever seen in real life. He wanted the ground to swallow him whole for thinking stuff like that about a stranger. What was wrong with him?!

Hyungwon glued his left ear to the door and listened. He heard faint sounds of movement. After a few minutes, he heard their front door open and then close. Did the man leave or had his grandmother come back home? He opened the door a small fraction and peered outside. The bathroom door was now wide open. The man must've left. The coast was finally clear.

The tall boy sighed in relief, then he headed for the bathroom again. The scent of a man's shampoo filled his lungs. It was a pleasant smell that could make someone get addicted to it. From what Hyungwon had seen earlier, that man was quite handsome and he obviously had a nice built, plus he smelled good too. So guys like that existed in this part of the country? Hyungwon instantly smacked himself for thinking about something so silly. Of course there were men like that in here, he wasn't staying in an unknown planet after all.

Why didn't the man even lock the door in the first place? The lock wasn't broken. Hyungwon prayed hard that he wouldn't be seeing that man again in such a scandalous manner. He wouldn't be able to handle it for a second time.

-

Hyungwon's grandmother was having the time of her life when he told her about what happened. They were sitting on the couch and his Grandma was clutching her stomach while she laugh her heart out.

"Grandma! It's not funny!" Hyungwon growled, then he pouted and crossed his arms in frustration. He disliked how he was acting like a little kid. But he couldn't really help it. It wasn't normal to see a stranger first thing in the morning!

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." His grandmother wiped the tears of laughter from her eyes, "I forgot to tell you about Wonho."

So, his name is Wonho... Hyungwon thought. Pretty name for a pretty man... He shook his head. He must be going crazy for thinking that. "Ugh! They better start fixing that drainage. I can't have a stranger waltzing in here and casually using our bathroom." He grumbled.

Grandma gently patted his head. "Now, now, my boy. Don't be like that. And Wonho is not a stranger. Remember the young man that I was talking about yesterday? Our neighbor's son? That was him. That's Wonho. I'm really sorry that the two of you met this way. So, calm down and cheer up. Alright? He's not a bad person."

Of course, it just had to turn out that that man was their neighbor. Great. Hyungwon's life was officially doomed. And now that he thought about it, he couldn't remember that they had a handsome neighbor like that man. As he could recall, the house beside their own was vacant. He had an inkling that he would be seeing more of that man, whether he like it or not.

And then to make matters worse, his grandmother had insisted that they invite that Wonho guy to have dinner with them. Hyungwon internally groaned. How much more was he going to suffer?

-

 

Hyungwon felt restless. It took him a long time to decide on what to wear for this evening. Why was he even getting worked up about this? It was just dinner. But this wasn't the usual; with only him and his grandmother. There was someone else joining them and the tall boy wasn't exactly keen on seeing that person again after the incident this morning.

In the end, he settled to wear his most presentable black shirt and his (brand new) royal blue cardigan, paired with black jeans. It was a simple outfit, in his personal opinion. He didn't want Wonho to think that he was overthinking this. Which he did. But the latter wouldn't know that, of course.

"Wow, you look handsome as always, my dear boy." Hyungwon's grandmother commented when he came out of his room.

The tall boy couldn't resist smiling at his grandmother's compliment. "Thanks Grandma."

"Now, help me set up the table. Wonho will be here any minute."

Hyungwon involuntarily gulped when he heard the name of the man he was dreading to see. The nervousness he was feeling escalated more quickly. He distracted himself by helping his grandmother. Not that it helped in any way, because no matter what he did Hyungwon just couldn't keep calm.

When Wonho had finally arrived, Hyungwon almost dropped the bowl of beef soup he was holding. The tall boy was in the kitchen grabbing food to take to the table. He heard his grandmother greet their guest and Hyungwon's heart began to race when he heard Wonho's sweet voice. Wait, what? Did I just think that his voice was sweet? He shook his head to bury that thought away, then he took a deep breath before heading out into the dining area.

The moment Hyungwon saw what the other male was wearing, the taller felt awfully overdressed for the occasion. Wonho was wearing a white oversized band shirt paired with denim shorts. His milky white legs clearly into view. The outfit was relatively simple, but Wonho made it seem like something out of a fashion magazine. He had that aura of confidence around him.

Hyungwon had the urge to run to his room and change, but it was already too late when Wonho turned his way. The tall boy's face flushed. The latter smiled at him and Hyungwon did the same, or at least tried to. His mouth just twitched a little to the side. He didn't know what face to show in front of Wonho.

Hyungwon mentally face-palmed when his Grandma insisted for him and Wonho to sit together. But disagreeing with her would be futile though, since he knew that she wouldn't take no for an answer. There was nothing else he could do but to comply. The two males silently enjoyed their meal, while Hyungwon's grandmother chatted away. She was telling them a funny story about her old friend. Wonho would laugh and answer her questions from time to time. Hyungwon just sat there not saying anything. He was thankful that no one was opening the topic about what happened this morning. His Grandma must've sensed that he didn't want to talk about it.

When they had finished eating, Hyungwon told his Grandma that he would clean up, and for her to head on first and rest. Before bidding them goodnight, she didn't forget to mention that Wonho could stay all he like and for the both of them to have fun.

Hyungwon was dead set on doing the cleaning all by himself, but then Wonho insisted to help. The tall boy didn't want the other male to think that he was being rude and aloof, so he just agreed to it. While Hyungwon slathered soap on the dirty dishes, Wonho rinsed them with water. The clinking and clanking of dishes was all that could be heard.

After a while, Wonho was the one who broke the awkward silence. He cleared his throat before saying, "I just want to apologize for what happened earlier. Sorry for scaring you like that. Grandma told me you were coming, but she had forgotten to say when." He smiled sheepishly.

Hyungwon couldn't stop himself from laughing. "It's fine. Don't worry about it. And she had also forgotten to tell me about the fact that you use our bathroom. But then again, we couldn't really blame her for that."

Wonho nodded his head in agreement. "Yeah, you're right. Poor Grandma. It's a relief that you are now here to stay with her. She was lonely when your uncle left. That's why I would come by every day to check and see if she needed any help. Or if she just wanted some company."

Hyungwon could hear the sincerity in the other's voice. It made his insides feel warm and fuzzy. It was an unusual feeling, a first for the tall boy. He thought that his grandmother was right, Wonho was indeed a kind and good-looking young man.

"I should be the one thanking you though, for helping my grandmother. So, thank you for that. Thank you for being with her all this time." Hyungwon genuinely smiled at him.

Wonho brushed a hand in the air. "There's no need for that. Your grandmother's a great neighbor. It's a pleasure to be of help to her."

The heavy atmosphere around the two gradually lightened. Slowly, they began to talk to each other with ease. They settled in the living room after cleaning up, while they relished the tea that Hyungwon had made. Wonho shared stories about Grandma; everything he could think of that happened when the tall boy wasn't around.

"Uhm.. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you anyway? I want to address you properly." Hyungwon asked after some time.

"Oh, I don't mind at all. And I just turned twenty-eight this year." Wonho simply answered and he flashed that dazzling smile of his.

Hyungwon was hit by another shocker. He had already expected that Wonho was older than him, but he didn't think that it would be by this much.

"But you look so young." Hyungwon blurted out.

Wonho laughed, his eyes crinkled into little crescents. "Thanks, I guess."

"So, should I call you Wonho ahjussi or?" Hyungwon teased.

Wonho playfully groaned. "Nooo! Please. I'm not that old! Hyung is fine. I'll feel like an old geezer if you start calling me the other one."

The both of them bursted into laughter.

Wonho noticed the way Hyungwon would cover his mouth everytime he laughed. It was adorable in his opinion. He was worried that the tall boy wouldn't even want to talk to him after what happened this morning. But he was relieved when it didn't turn out that way. Talking to Hyungwon was a breeze and the older enjoyed his company very much. He wished that their friendship would continue to bloom.

-

 

The blazing sun was piercing through Hyungwon's back as he roamed around the neighborhood. Despite the hot weather, he decided to take a stroll and partly because he was also hoping to find a job opening. He stopped by the convenience store to buy some refreshment. He stood near the blasting air conditioner while he drank his Coke in can. That's when an ad caught his eye. It was taped on a bulletin board that had been mounted on the wall. He stepped closer to it and studied the paper that contained the ad.

It was an ad for a part-time job at a café. It was just the thing that Hyungwon was looking for. He reached for his phone from his pocket, then he saved the number that was written on it. And he hoped against hope that he would land the job.

When Hyungwon got home, he immediately turned his laptop on and revised his resume. He didn't stop typing and retyping until he was satisfied with it. It's a good thing that he already had an experience in working part-time. He used to do it out of boredom since he had nothing better to do, and the feeling of being paid for your hardwork was also satisfying. So now, he thought that he wouldn't have such a hard time in finding another one.

-


Hyungwon fixed the tie around his neck for the nth time. He borrowed his semiformal outfit for today from his uncle's closet, and it was one size too big for him. But despite that, it still looked good on the tall boy. He also borrowed his uncle's bicycle. As he reached the café, his eyes began to wander around the vicinity. He haven't been on this part of town yet, so he wasn't familiar with it. There were all kinds of small shops everywhere, but the café stood out among the rest. It was painted in a bright yellow color.

When he had inquired about the job, the person on the other line asked him to come on Monday for an interview. He found the ad on a Saturday. A petite woman was doing the interview. Hyungwon would confidently answer her every question, as she examined his resume. He had been on this situation a couple of times already, so it didn't faze him anymore. And besides, the lady seemed really nice. When he saw her earlier, he thought that she was too young of an owner. But then she informed him that the owner was not there at the moment. She was just the manager.

Hyungwon was elated when the lady said that he could start by tomorrow. He mentally did a victory dance. He had landed the job! He politely bowed to her and thanked her when they had finished talking. He couldn't wait to tell his parents and his Grandma about the good news.

The tall boy was about to speed away, when he saw a familiar figure of a man who was standing inside the shop that was across the café. He couldn't see that clearly, so he thought that maybe he was just imagining things. He crooked an eyebrow. It couldn't be him, right?

Hyungwon pedaled towards the direction of the shop. But when he got there, the man was already gone. He cupped both of his hands on the glass window and tried to take a peek inside. But the other passersby were eyeing him suspiciously. They must've thought that he looked like a stalker. The tall boy straightened up, then he cleared his throat while he brushed the invisible dust on his lap. He decided to go inside the shop instead; to get a better look and be away from people's prying eyes. There was a wood sign hanging by the open door, and the words LUCKY HILL PHOTOGRAPHY were painted on it.

What welcomed the tall boy were rows and rows of framed pictures. Hyungwon was quite astonished. The photographer, whoever that person is, had a way of making a simple photo look fascinating. That person knew how to capture one's attention, and make the viewer admire the photo with all their heart. It made all the photos on Hyungwon's phone seem like trash. His eyes scanned around the shop but there was no one else there.

The tall boy noticed something unique about the photographs. All the pictures in there were showing landscapes, there was not any portrait around. Hyungwon was intently admiring a photobook of lavish gardens that he didn't hear someone appear from behind him.


"What do you think about the photos?"


The tall boy jumped in surprise when he heard someone talk. "I-uhh.. It's beautiful. They're all beauti---" Hyungwon trailed off when he turned around and saw who was standing in front of him. "W-wonho hyung?!"

"Hey, Hyungwon." Wonho's lips curved into a smile. "What brings you in this side of town?"

So Hyungwon was right, it was really Wonho that he saw earlier! 

"I had a job interview. What are you doing in here hyung?" The tall boy asked in return.

"Oh, this is my shop."

Hyungwon blinked. Did he just heard it right? This was Wonho's shop? He owned of all these amazing photos? The tall boy could only gape in admiration. "Wow, your shop is so beautiful hyung."

"Thanks. It wasn't easy taking all these photos. I'm glad you like them." Wonho flashed that dashing smile of his once again.

"Wait, what? You're the photographer too? Man, that's really neat!" Hyungwon was totally in awe now. He couldn't help but feel respect for the older male. What more surprises did Wonho have under his sleeve? And when would he stop being so perfect?

Wonho lazily waved a hand in the air. "It's nothing special. This is just a hobby of mine. My friend was the one who told me to open up a shop, and maybe sell some of my photos. But I didn't really do it for the money. I'm happy just by seeing people admire my work."

Hyungwon was dumbfounded. The older said that this was nothing special, but for the tall boy it was something remarkable. Would he ever reach the level of coolness that Wonho was exuding right now? He completely doubted it.

"Did you have lunch already?" Wonho asked, then he grabbed his wallet and keys that were on the counter. "Come on, let's eat. I'm starving."

And he dragged Hyungwon away from there after he closed the shop.

-

 

Wonho took the younger boy to one of those family-owned restaurant. They enjoyed the delicious food and talked about anything they could think of. The older had told him that their drainage had finally been fixed. He wouldn't be a bother to them anymore. Hyungwon was relieved and disappointed at the same time. He was relieved that he wouldn't have to feel cautious everytime Wonho was at their house. But he was also disappointed that he wouldn't be seeing him in the morning.

When Hyungwon told the older male about his job at the café, Wonho stated that he knew the owner. The owner turned out to be Wonho's friend, a man named Lee Minhyuk. He was the one who encouraged Wonho to open up his own shop.

"You don't have to worry about Minhyuk." Wonho said as they chew on the food they had ordered.

Hyungwon furrowed his eyebrows. "And why is that?"

"He's a really nice guy. And he already has a boyfriend." Wonho nonchalantly answered.

The tall boy almost choked on his food. So this Minhyuk person swung that way. Hyungwon wasn't an expert in that department. He had never been in a relationship before, whether it be with a male or a female. But he began to think if Wonho was the same as his friend, or if the older was currently in a relationship. He shook that thought away almost instantly. He shouldn't be thinking about stuff like that. He had no business in Wonho's private life.

"Is something wrong? Are you not satisfied with the food?" Wonho asked when he saw that the younger boy was deep in thought.

Hyungwon blinked. "N-no. The food's great. It's delicious. Thank you for the treat, hyung."

Wonho winked at him. "No problem."

The older male's sudden action made Hyungwon blush. He avoided eye contact, then he opted to pick at his food and hoped that Wonho didn't notice. They were silent for a moment. But when Hyungwon had composed himself, he just had to ask the question that had been bugging him.

"Uhm. Why do you only take pictures of landscapes hyung? If you don't mind me asking."

Wonho lightly shook his head and he smiled at the younger boy. "Hyungwon-ah, I won't mind you asking me anything. You can ask me all you like."

He just called me Hyungwon-ah... The endearment made the tall boy suddenly flustered. "R-right, okay. I'm sorry."

Wonho sighed, but he was still smiling. "And the answer to your question is... because I don't like taking pictures of people."

Hyungwon frowned. "But why?"

The older male shrugged. "I don't know. I just don't. Taking pictures of a person is like giving a confession. It's hard for me. I know... It sounds weird. But, I'm weird like that." Wonho sheepishly smiled.

The tall boy shook his head. "It's not weird at all. We all have our own circumstances. I totally get it. And besides, that's what makes you unique."

Wonho's face lit up with glee. "Well, thanks. And because of that, I'm treating you to dessert too!"

They both smiled at each other. Hyungwon felt that warm and fuzzy feeling once again. He had been trying hard to ignore it, but it just naturally comes out everytime he was around Wonho. If someone would ever ask if he likes the older one, the answer would be a resounding yes. But to what extent was that like? He had no idea. All he knew was that Wonho makes him feel all sorts of strange emotions. And he didn't hate it.

-

 

After a week of working at the café, Hyungwon had finally met the owner. Minhyuk was a handsome red-haired man, with a bright smile and a brighter personality. Whenever he was around, there would be a lively atmosphere at the café. All the employees (not that they were many, there was only three of them, including Hyungwon) and customers loved the cheerful boss.

"Sooo... you're the famous Hyungwon." Minhyuk had told him when they met.

Hyungwon thought that the owner must've known him from his resume. But he was confused. Why did he say the word 'famous'?

It was as if Minhyuk had read his mind because the redhead added, "Wonho told me all about you."

A low 'oh' was the only thing that Hyungwon could respond to that statement.

The owner scanned Hyungwon with his eyes, from his feet up to his head. "You're really tall. And really cute. Wonho was right about you."

Hyungwon blinked a few times. Did Wonho just told his friend that Hyungwon was cute? He instantly flushed a deep red just by thinking about it. The younger boy had never imagined himself to be someone you could call cute. He couldn't believe that Wonho even thought that way about him.

Minhyuk chortled. He was amused at how the taller boy was acting so flustered. When the manager had told him that Wonho (who rarely comes) would drop by at the café every morning to talk to the newbie, the redhead instantly knew that something was brewing between Hyungwon and Wonho. Hmm, Hyungwonho, huh? Alright. That's what I'll call them from now on... The owner thought. It was quite entertaining to witness this with his own eyes.

***

It was a Sunday and the café was closed for the day. It had been three weeks since Hyungwon started working. Minhyuk had invited everyone for an afternoon barbecue party, everyone meaning -- all his employees and Wonho. They were at Minhyuk's backyard. He had a large grill and a dining table set up outside.

Hyungwon was feeling unnecessarily antsy. Ever since his conversation with Minhyuk, he had become hyperaware of Wonho's every action. It was like there was a switch that had been inside of him. He couldn't even look the older straight in the eyes. He just wished that he wouldn't embarrassed himself by being like this.

"What's up with you?" Wonho softly nudged the tall boy on the side. The older had occupied the empty seat beside him.

Hyungwon's body stiffened from the sudden touch. "N-nothing's up." He stuttered.

"You're spacing out. Something on your mind?" Wonho asked with genuine curiosity.

Someone's on my mind. And it's you... The tall boy awkwardly smiled. "I'm fine, hyung. Don't worry."

"You sure?"

Hyungwon curved his lips upward, then he firmly nodded. Wonho flashed that dashing smile that the younger boy had began accustomed to. He faintly sighed. Keep yourself together Hyungwon, it's gonna be a looong day.


 



Hyungwon felt the world spinning around him. His head throbbed. He shouldn't have drank all those shots of soju his workmates urged him to drink. He knew he was a lightweight when it comes to drinking, but he couldn't say no to his seniors and show his weak side. And now, he regretted his stupid action. He excused himself and told the others that he was going to the bathroom. He tried hard not to lose his balance while he walked.

The tall boy slumped near the toilet bowl, then he clutched his throbbing head. He could feel that he was about to throw up everything he had consumed. He got up and stood in front of the sink, then he sloppily rinsed his mouth with water. He got startled when someone knocked on the door.

"Hyungwon-ah, are you okay in there?" He heard Wonho say from the other side.

"I'm okay hyung..." The tall boy answered but his voice was too low that he doubted Wonho had even heard him.

Hyungwon willed himself to head for the door, but his headache was getting worse with every step. When he was about to grab the doorknob, everything around him went black and he had fainted.

Wonho heard a loud thud coming from the bathroom, and then he opened the door in an instant. It's a good thing that it wasn't locked when he saw the state of the younger boy. His face grew pale from the sight.

"Hyungwon!"

-

 

When Hyungwon opened his eyes, he was in an unfamiliar room. He bolted upright and his head hurt from the sudden movement. He rubbed his temples with his fingers. What happened to him? He tried recalling what happened yesterday, but all he could remember was that they had a barbecue party at Minhyuk's house and he got drunk. He couldn't recollect what happened next.

The tall boy surveyed the room with his eyes. Where was he? Whose room was this? And his questions were answered when the door bursted open.


"Oh, you're awake!"


Hyungwon's eyes rounded in surprise when he saw Wonho standing by the door. He mentally screamed. He was in Wonho's room! That's when the memory of him passing out flashed in his mind. The younger male inwardly groaned. He felt so embarrassed that he ended up like this. He swore to never drink again.

Wonho stepped closer to the bed and turned to Hyungwon. "Do you want anything? Coffee? Water? Tea? Food?" The older asked while tilting his head from side to side.

Even when he was still feeling the pain on his head, the younger boy couldn't help but smile at how adorable Wonho was acting. "Just water is fine."

A smile plastered on Wonho's face. "Okay, wait here. I'll be right back."

When Hyungwon was left alone he decided to look around the older male's room. As one would expect from a photographer, there were lots of photos everywhere. They were all pictures of landscapes. Even in here, there wasn't any portrait around. But then Hyungwon saw something gleaming from the back of the row of photos on top of Wonho's desk. The sun's ray was hitting the picture frame, as if asking him to take a look at it. It had been turned the other way, so you could only see the back of the frame.

Hyungwon slowly got up and grabbed the frame. When he saw the picture that was on it, his jaw literally dropped. His heart began to race. It was a photo of Wonho and a woman, and they were smiling so widely at the camera. The woman was beautiful; she had light brown hair and green eyes. Basing from the photo's angle, it was Wonho who took the picture of them. But what tugged at Hyungwon's heart the most, was that the woman on the photo was showing off the diamond ring on her left hand. The tall boy knew what it meant. He wasn't naive.

The younger boy hurriedly got up and strode to the door. He met Wonho on his way out but he continued to walk away, leaving the older male utterly confused. Hyungwon knew he was being unreasonable. He didn't even have a right to feel this way. But his chest was hurting so bad that he wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

Wonho contemplated whether to run after Hyungwon or go back to the room. He wanted to know why the younger boy walked out of his room with a grim look on his face. What had happened? He opted for the second option. And when he saw the picture frame that was left on the floor, his heart sank. Why did it come to this?

-

 

"What do you mean that he quit?!" Wonho snapped at his friend when Minhyuk had told him the bad news.

"Hyungwon quit. He sent in his resignation yesterday," Minhyuk shook his head sideways. "I don't even get it myself."

Wonho plopped down on the empty seat near him. His knees felt so weak. After what happened yesterday, he was hoping to talk to Hyungwon and explain properly. He went over the younger boy's house but his grandmother said that he wasn't there. So the older assumed that Hyungwon was at the café. But then Minhyuk dropped the bomb on him. What would he do now? Where was Hyungwon?

The older couldn't concentrate on anything that day. His mind was drifting off into space the whole time. When a customer came in the shop and bought a photo, he had given them the wrong change, three times. Wonho apologized again and again. He figured that he should just close shop for today since his mind couldn't function properly.

Wonho constantly thought about Hyungwon. He wanted to see him. He wanted to talk to him. He wanted to see the younger boy's beautiful smile again. Why did Hyungwon had to see that photo? The older was perplexed by Hyungwon's reaction yesterday. Why did he act that way? Wonho had no idea.

When Wonho got to his room, he held the photo on his hand and stared at it. He gently rubbed a finger on the face of the woman on the picture.

And then he murmured, "Hyojin..."


-



"I don't understand why I had to lie." Hyungwon's grandmother said to him after Wonho had left. "What happened to the two of you?"

"It's complicated." Hyungwon stared at the ground. "I'm sorry for making you lie Grandma."

His grandmother sighed. "I thought everything was going well between you and Wonho. Whatever you are going through, you should fix it by yourselves. The two of you are not kids anymore."

Hyungwon heaved a deep sigh. "I know, Grandma. Don't worry too much. Okay?"

The old woman gave Hyungwon a tight embrace, then she soothingly rubbed her grandson's back. "It's my job to worry about you, my boy. And if you really don't want me to worry, then go talk to Wonho."

If it was that easy to do, Hyungwon would do it without a second thought. But he was lacking the courage to face Wonho after walking out on him. He couldn't talk to him. At least, not yet. He needed time to think. He needed time to muster up all his courage to face Wonho.

Hyungwon snapped out of his daze when his phone rang, he was currently lying on his bed and staring at the ceiling for no reason. He looked at the screen. It was a call from an unknown number. And because his mind was out of sorts he answered it in an instant.

"Hello."

"Hello. Hyungwon?"

Hyungwon's breath hitched when he heard the voice from the other line. His chest quickly tightened. How in the world did Wonho get his number? The younger was about to press the cancel button when he heard Wonho talk again.

"Hyungwon! Please don't hang up! I want to talk to you. You don't even have to answer... I just want to explain."

The tall boy properly pressed the phone back on his ear. "Okay." He said in a quiet voice.

"Listen Hyungwon, I want to talk to you about the photograph. About Hyojin..."

When Hyungwon heard the name of the woman, he didn't know what got into him but he immediately pressed the cancel button. He thought he could handle it. But he wasn't ready to hear whatever Wonho had to say. He wasn't prepared for more damage to his already broken heart. And that's when he finally acknowledged the fact that he did like Wonho more than a friend. In fact, he liked Wonho very much that's why he was acting this way.

Hyungwon felt angry with himself when he felt hot tears streaming down his face. He hated how he was behaving. But this was the first time that this had ever happened to him. He didn't know that it would be this painful. He needed to let it out. He buried his face on his pillow so his grandmother wouldn't hear his sobbing.

-
 

 

"Are you sure you want to come?" Hyungwon's grandmother asked while they head out the door.

Hyungwon softly smiled and nodded his head. "Yes, I'm sure Grandma."

They were on their way to a park nearby. His grandmother told him that her friends had invited her out for a picnic. She made kimbap and veggie pancakes for everyone. The old woman had asked if Hyungwon wanted to join them, and because he had nothing else to do, he said yes. He figured that he should stop sulking at home and enjoy some fresh air. He also needed to clear his mind. When he told his grandmother that he had quit his part-time job, she got worried and asked why. But the younger had only come up with a lie and reasoned that he wasn't happy with his job. Well, it wasn't entirely a lie. He wasn't really happy, but it was because of what's going on between him and Wonho. She didn't ask any further.

When they showed up at the park, some of his grandmother's old friends were already there. They had laid out a large red cloth on the grass. The food that was placed on the middle piled up, as more of his Grandma's friends arrive. Hyungwon was the youngest in the bunch, but he didn't feel out of place. They might've been much older than him but they made him feel welcomed. He actually kind of envied his grandmother's circle of friends. He wished that he would have something like that when he gets older.

They laughed and talked about anything and everything under the sun. Hyungwon enjoyed listening to their fun stories. When they figured that no one else was going to come, they started eating. Hyungwon haven't felt this happy for a while. The tall boy excitedly stuffed his face with all the delicious food.



"I'm sorry we're late."

 

Everyone turned their heads to the person who have spoken. It was an old woman that Hyungwon didn't know. But somehow her face was oddly familiar. And when another person turned up from behind her, Hyungwon dropped the chopstick he was holding. His eyes rounded in shock and his jaw dropped. He was frozen on his spot.

 

What was Wonho doing here? 

 

"Hey." Wonho said and his greeting was directed at Hyungwon.

The old woman who had newly arrived wrapped her arm around Wonho. "My grandson is such a slow poke that's why we were late."

Hyungwon didn't know what to do. He wanted to teleport somewhere far right at that moment. He hurriedly stood up and excused himself. He needed to get out of there, fast. But when he was about to turn away, he felt a hand grab his arm.

"Hyungwon, wait! We need to talk." Wonho pronounced. Then he turned his head to the others. "Please excuse us."

Wonho was dragging the younger boy, to who knows where. Hyungwon's mind was going in circles. Did Wonho knew that he was going to be at the picnic? Did he plan this all along? But he didn't have time to think anymore when he realized where Wonho had taken him. Why were they on a bus stop?

"H-hyung... Whe-where are we going?" The tall boy stammered.

"Just come with me. I need to show you something," was all Wonho had replied.

-



Hyungwon's eyes bulged out of its sockets when he saw where Wonho had taken him. The tall boy involuntarily shivered. Hospitals give him the creeps. Wonho haven't said a word to him since they left the bus stop, but he was holding on to the younger's hand all throughout the ride. Hyungwon would've felt happy by the gesture, if it weren't for the fact that he was feeling extremely nervous for what's about to happen.

They went inside and Hyungwon just silently followed the older. The nurses seemed to be familiar with Wonho when he had greeted them. Hyungwon frowned. What was going on here? They hopped inside an elevator and Wonho pressed the number two on the buttons at the side. The both of them were the only occupants.

"I need you to meet someone." Wonho said in a low tone. Hyungwon was staring at the ground but he turned to the older because of what he had heard.

He needs me to meet someone? Hyungwon furrowed his eyebrows. Who could that be?

When they arrived at the second floor, they turned right and pass by a few rooms. Hyungwon almost collided with the older when he suddenly halted in front of the room at the end of the hallway. Wonho slowly opened the door and motioned for the younger to come in.

Hyungwon reluctantly complied. His mind was still in a blur. Who did Wonho want him to meet? And why in a hospital?

The answer came when Hyungwon saw who was the person lying on the hospital bed. His face grew pale. It was the same woman from the photograph he found in Wonho's room. She had her eyes closed, as if she was in a deep sleep. The tall boy's heart was beating hard against his chest. Even when the woman had an oxygen tube plugged on her nose, she still looked beautiful.

"Hyungwon, I want you to meet Hyojin." Wonho said from behind the tall boy. The older moved closer to the bed, then he gently held the woman's hand. "Hyojin, I want you to meet Hyungwon. He's my special..." The older paused, "He's my special friend."

Friend. Hyungwon's chest tightened even more. It was like he was going to pass out any moment now. He wasn't ready for this. He wasn't ready to face the harsh reality.

Wonho softly sighed. "Hyojin is Minhyuk's sister and she's..."

Hyungwon closed his eyes. He wasn't prepared for the blow that was about to hit him.


"My best friend." He heard Wonho say.


Hyungwon frowned while his eyes were still tightly shut. He waited for Wonho to go on and say more, but it didn't come. When he opened his eyes, Wonho was just staring at him with a sad look on his face.

"B-best friend?" The younger quietly asked.

Wonho smiled a fraction, then he nodded. "Yes. She's my best friend."

The tall boy was baffled. "I-is that all she is to you? B-but... The photo... The r-ring..." Hyungwon stammered. He felt so stupid. Did he just assume things all this time?

Wonho sighed once more. "You've got it all wrong, Hyungwon-ah. She's my older brother's fiancé... Not mine."

Oh. His brother... Hyungwon had totally forgotten that Wonho had a sibling. The younger boy felt that all his energy had been suddenly out of him. His knees gave in and he almost fell, but Wonho caught him in his arms just in time.

"Whoa... Be careful." The older said as he helped Hyungwon get back on his feet. "Come on, let's sit down."

 

-

 

Hyungwon was staring off into a distance. They were seated at an empty bench by the hospital's garden. He didn't know what to think anymore. He didn't know what to say to Wonho. He felt so ridiculous and completely embarrassed for all his actions. Why didn't he have the guts to ask Wonho about the photo? If he only did that, they wouldn't be in this situation. But then again, if what he initially thought was right, he doubted that he could even handle the truth.

Wonho cleared his throat. "Are you mad at me Hyungwon-ah? You've been avoiding me ever since you came by the house."

The tall boy looked at Wonho, then he heavily sighed. "I'm not mad at you hyung." Hyungwon stared down at his lap. "I'm mad at myself."

The older frowned. He rested a hand on Hyungwon's shoulder. "Why? Why are you like this? What really happened? Did I do something wrong?"

Hyungwon couldn't take it any longer. He was just overwhelmed with emotions. He bit his lower lip and cursed himself when he felt tears flowing down his face. "It's all my fault! Everything's my fault!" He hung his head low and sobbed even more.

Wonho went in panic mode when he saw Hyungwon crying. He wanted to punch himself. He shouldn't have asked those stupid questions!

"Hyungwon-ah... Please don't cry. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for whatever I said. Please.... Stop." Wonho pleaded. But Hyungwon only cried even harder.

! Wonho mentally cursed. He didn't care about anything anymore. He just wanted Hyungwon to stop crying. He grabbed the younger's arms and.....



He kissed Hyungwon.
 


Hyungwon's body instantly went rigid. He couldn't believe what was happening. Was he dreaming? Was it all real? Wonho was really kissing him? The younger boy's body slowly relaxed, and he gave in to the kiss. He had forgotten why he was crying in the first place.

It was a long and deep kiss. When they had parted, the both of them were breathless. When they both opened their eyes, they stared into each other. Wonho reached out and wiped the remaining tears on Hyungwon's face.

"You're still so beautiful even when you're crying." Wonho muttered.

Hyungwon sniffed and then he laughed. "I didn't know that you were this cheesy hyung."

Wonho shrugged. "Well, you'll just have to get used to my cheesiness from now on."

Hyungwon tilted his head to the side. "From now on?"

Wonho soothingly caressed the younger boy's face, then he gave him a gentle peck on the cheek. "Because from now on, you are mine."
 

 

***

 

©2017