Just like old times

Your voice

 

You knew you were in some sort of trouble when your supervisor called you to meet him privately in the meeting room. You were not sure what you did wrong but when you closed the door behind you, you heard him sighed.

“Y/N ssi, tell me what company we are,” He folded his arms and looked at you with a straight face.

“Neh!?” You were surprised by his question but answered nonetheless, “Misa Cosmetics. We sell cosmetics targeting women in their 20s and 30s,”

“Yes, I know that,” He nodded and used his hands to ask you to continue, “Ok, so what is your job?”

You were confused by his question and was unable to figure out what he was trying to tell you.

He knew you were confused and sighed before speaking. “You know our number one policy when we talk to customers is to maintain our professionalism,”

You nodded your head and held your hands together. You felt nervous and started to worry if he had found out about you singing just now. But how could he have known?

“So do you know what you had done wrong?” He asked you again and looked into our eyes.

You bit your lips and slowly nodded your head, afraid that he was going to scream at you.

“Tell me what you have done wrong,”

“I.. erm.. I sang while the customer was on hold…” You said softly but you were sure he could hear you as he nodded his head after you had finished speaking.

“Great,” His face finally relaxed slightly and continued, “You know because of you singing to BTS new song, many of their fans was wondering if we were collaborating with BTS. Sadly no… we don’t have the money to work with them,”

He continued to reprimand you and pulled out a chair and sat down before continuing, “And we have been getting so many calls from people asking each of our telemarketers if they knew who was the one who sang blood, sweat, tears,”

“Oh no…” You whispered and shook your head, “I’m really sorry, I really didn’t mean to do it just now.. I was just..”

“You were just what?” He crossed his legs together, “You knew that this was not the first time you made a mistake and when you signed the contract we had about 2 years ago, when you have 3 strikes you need to get out of the company,”

“No no no!” You panicked and begged him, “I swear I didn’t do it on purpose!”

“Listen,” He unfolded his hands and placed one of them on his temple and closed his eyes, “I know you have been working very hard and it’s sad to let go of an employee after 2 years. I have feelings for you to but company rule is company rule,”

“No please,” You did not even realized your eyes were getting teary, “I promised I will be even more careful when I answer calls,”

He opened your eyes and stood up, “Y/N-ssi, I… I’m sorry I can’t do that,”

“What…” You felt like as if your soul just left your body, “Why?”

“Policy rule is policy rule,” He said, “If I made an exception for you, I would have to hire all those other workers who had made the same mistakes back. I will give you a minute to calm down and if you need anything else, let me know,”

And with that, he walked out of the meeting room.

. You cursed in your head and immediately whipped out your phone.

“KIM TAE HYUNG I WANT TO KILL YOU,”

_

“I think noona is angry at you for something,” Jimin picked up Taehyung’s phone showed him the message you had sent on the screen.

Tae Hyung took his phone from Jimin immediately and began to reply you.

“What?! What did I do?”

“Your song made me lose my job,”

His eyes blinked in confusion and continued, “What do you mean? By the way we have to talk soon,”

“My house tonight,”

Tae Hyung was about to keep his phone in his pocket when he felt another buzz.

“Bring soju over,” Tae Hyung was surprised and wondered what had gotten into you as you were usually not like that. Losing a job over his song, now he was really confused.

_

“So you’re saying you got fired because of this video?” Tae Hyung played a video with nothing but your own voice while crossing his legs on your couch.

You nodded and drank a glass shot of soju and peeled the dried squid before placing it in your mouth. “Why did she do that…?”

“But at least so many people out there know that you got a nice voice!” He tried to cheer you up by opening a packet of your favourite potato chips.

“So?!” You replied him, annoyed, “I have to start finding a job tomorrow and I don’t even know what I want to do anymore,”

“Well… you know you can always,” Tae Hyung paused as he looked at you. He knew what he was about to say was not pleasing to your ears, “Sing,”

“Urgh,” You threw a cushion at him but he managed to avoid it successfully, “Stop avoiding it, why are you so good at everything? And stop asking me to sing.. look at what singing had made me become now. I lost a job because I sang!”

“Woa noona!” He exclaimed when he saw you drink straight from the bottle. “Give me that!”

Tae Hyung tried to snatch the bottle of soju from you and he succeeded. You tried to reach for it but ended up giving up and leaned back against your couch.

You sighed and looked at your ceiling, “Why is this happening to me?”

Tae Hyung looked at you and placed the bottle of soju further away from you and said, “It’s just a phase of life,”

“Right…” You replied without any emotion. “Why am I not good at anything?”

“Do you want me to repeat what I have been saying for the past hour? You are talented. Very talented. It’s just… maybe luck is just not on your side yet,” Tae Hyung got frustrated again and poked you in your waist.

“Ah! Don’t do that!” You frowned at him and you knew he was being mischievous because he was giving you that look when he tried to be playful around you.

“Just take it that this a turning point for you to do something you finally want to!” Tae Hyung stood in front of you with his hands on his waist as if he was lecturing you.

Maybe it was the alcohol influence, maybe it was seeing Tae Hyung acting like a more matured person for the first time, you felt attracted to him. Usually you would be the one telling him what to do and stuff but this time it was entirely the other way round.

“And promise me to stop saying that you’re not talented alright?” He looked at you but you were not exactly focusing on what he was saying.

You were focusing more on his lips.

Why didn’t you see that before?

And then going further down.

Since when did his shoulders become so broad? And his chest muscle seemed to be buffer than before.

“Noona!” He said loudly and finally you broke off from your trance.

“Hmm?” You asked and blinked, looking away from him.

“Are you even listening to me?” He asked you with slight annoyance because he was not sure whether he had successfully given you the point he was trying to make. “Why are you not looking at me while I’m talking to you?”

You had turned your head to the side and with Tae Hyung seeing you behaving like that, he scooped down and tried to make eye contact with you. Surprised by his close proximity with you, you moved back even more but you could not because you were already sitting on the couch.

“하지마…” You said softly and made a millisecond eye contact with him before looking away again.

“Don’t do what?” He asked and tried to follow you even as you turned away from him.

“Just don’t!” You said more loudly this time but your voice came out to be more annoyed than you expected. It took Tae Hyung by surprise because he had hardly seen you flared up at him like that.

“Woa… ok ok,” He lifted both of his hands up and moved away from you.

You immediately felt sorry for him because you knew he was just trying to help you and all.

It was an awkward silence as he started to clean up the soju bottles and snacks which you guys had.

“Sorry..” You whispered while he packed them neatly in one corner.

You saw him giving a shrug but you still felt bad treating at him like this.

“I will just go first..” He looked at you as if he was waiting for you to say something. “You’ll be fine right?”

You nodded your head before standing up and walked to open the door for him.

While you turned around he was standing behind you with his bag hung on his shoulder, waiting for you to move to the side so that he could leave your house.

You watched him put on his shoes and said sorry once again after he stood up.

“It’s ok I get it,” He said with a slight smile, “Just let me know if you need any help,”

You nodded and waved at him. “Get back safely,”

You were about to close the door before you heard, “Ah noona!”

You stopped your movement and opened it again, seeing Tae Hyung bitting his lips as if he wanted to say something he had forgotten earlier.

“Erm.. you know that,” He said nervously. “Erm…”

“Yeah?”

He suddenly moved a step closer and gave you a quick hug.

You were more than shocked and he could tell that you were shocked also as he released you.

“Just know that I still believe you still become a singer!” He said loudly as he began to run away from your house. “Cheer up!!!”

And with that he left you dumbfounded by your door.

_

You had a bad headache the next morning you woke up. Well, it was pass noon when you woke up but still you had a bad hungover from last night. As you searched for your phone beside your bed, you suddenly had a flashback of what happened last night. Tae Hyung had hugged you. It was not the first time but the first in a very long time.

You blushed at that thought again but immediately brushed it away as you prepared to get ready and find a job. You still could not believe you had lost a job like that.

_

You sighed as you looked at the flyer stuck at the bus stop while you folded the newspaper you had been holding for almost the entire day.

“Hiring waitresses and live singer…” You said to yourself as you read what the flyer was saying.

“What’s up poop head?”

You jumped as you heard the voice.

“Stop calling me that,”

Tae Hyung asked you out for dinner and he was laughing at your reaction as he stood beside you and read what you were reading. He acted as if nothing had happened last night. He was wearing his company’s winter jacket with a black mask covering his face. His hair was slightly fluffed up, perhaps because he just did not style it like how you usually saw them on screen.

“So you’re finally listening to my advice?” He pulled down his mask and nudged you while pointing to the flyer.

“If I’m desperate enough,”

“Come on…” He placed his hand before your back and pushed you slightly closer to him as he saw someone walking behind him and you were just slightly blocking their way. “Give yourself another chance,”

You gulped as you could feel Tae Hyung breathing on you as you waited for the people to pass by. At one point you were glad that you were closer physically to him because the cold weather was making you shiver but at one point you could feel yourself getting warmer because of all the blushing.

“Are you alright?” Tae Hyung asked you as he looked at your face, “You seemed kind of red…”

Your hands flew up to your cheeks and you just laughed awkwardly and told him it was just the cold wind making your cheeks like this.

Tae Hyung carelessly placed the back of his palm against your left cheek and used his other hand to feel his own temperature on his own cheeks. His eyes widened in surprise as he realized it was warmer than his.

“Noona are you having a fever?!” He said with concern, “Maybe you should head home and continue job searching tomorrow,”

“Oh no!” You shook your head and was relieved when he removed his hand, “I’m fine.. maybe I need a cup of warm coffee,”

“You sure about that?” He looked at you again, “I can ask manager hyung to drop you back since we’re not that busy today,”

“No! Don’t bother to ask him!” You shook your head again and scolded yourself to calm down as soon as possible but it was impossible due to all those physical interaction.

Tae Hyung was one step ahead of you as you tried to collect your thoughts. He was already calling his manager with his phone and you tugged his coat to try and tell him its really fine. But he just mouthed to you ‘Its alright’ and continued with the conversation.

“He will be here in about 5 minutes,” Tae Hyung told you as he got off the phone. “Luckily he was around this area,”

Tae Hyung began to fumble the pockets of his winter coat and you watched him searched for something.

“What are you doing?” You asked curiously.

Just then, he smiled at you as he felt something at his right pocket.

“I forgot I had this with me,” He spoke as he took the thing he had in his pocket.

You wondered what it was until you saw it. Something white and bulky…

It was a mini hot pack.

Tae Hyung held the hot pack against your cheek and you could feel the warmth spreading instantly.

“Nice huh?” He smiled cheekily at you and placed his other hand on the other side of your cheek.

Tae Hyung pressed your cheeks together and he started laughing at how funny you before you tried to swat his hand off because the hot pack was burning against your cheeks.

“Ya!” You chided him and offered to hold the hot pack by yourself as you realised a grandmother sitting on the bus stop bench was watching the two of you.

She smiled at you and said, “Reminds me of my old time,”

Her words caught Tae Hyung and your attention. It happened almost simultaneously when Tae Hyung and you turned to look at each other. He was as equally surprised as you and he was about to say something to the grandmother but just nice his manager came and stopped the van in front of you guys.

He told you guys to hop in quickly as he was parked in front of the bus stop.

After getting in and greeting his manager, Tae Hyung was sitting rather close to you because of the boxes placed at the passenger seat as well.

“The company told me bring them on my way back,” He said with apology as you had to squeeze with Tae Hyung.

“It’s alright! Thanks for sending me back!” You thanked him before looking out of the window like how you usually did.

You realized how leaves had fallen from the tree and the city was just very dull. The buildings were either grey, black or white. Winter was one of your least favourite seasons.

Suddenly just like old times, Tae Hyung placed his earpiece into your ear without asking your permission. You flinched at his touch before realizing he still had his habit of sharing music with you.

This time the music he was sharing with you was sung by one of your favourite singers, Eddy Kim.

You turned and smiled at him as you realized what he was doing and soon he realized that you were looking at him. He gave you a smile before leaning back against the head rest and closed his eyes.

You sighed internally as you took another look at him before looking out of the window again.

You were not sure what was going to happen in the future. If you were going to find a job soon or if you were going to try again to make it as a singer. But there was one thing you could be sure of.

It was falling for Tae Hyung.  

 

 

_

Hello!

Sorry for the short update! TT Hopefully you guys enjoy how the story is going now and I feel like this story is going to be longer than what I expected XD Thanks for reading! ^^