Show 'Em How To Ride Or Die, Baby

Show 'Em How To Ride Or Die, Baby

Bae Irene is well known for a lot of things. Her beauty? Yeah. Her brains? Hell yeah. Her kindness? Of course! Forgetfulness? Not really. Like, at all.

If there is one thing that Bae Irene is not known for, it's forgetfulness. She's always the one to keep her four other roommates on track and on schedule. She's the girl who has a calendar marked with the due dates to all of her projects. She's the person who always makes sure to arrive five minutes early, in case the other person forgot.

So how the hell did she forget something as big as her cousin's wedding?

"Joohyun! You are coming to your cousin Naeun's wedding, right?" And Irene grimaces as her mother's eager voice emits from her phone. "You know that she's always dying to see you!"

Irene frowns, her head starting to hurt, and she pulls her phone away from her ear slightly. Her mother has the tendency to unconsciously raise the volume of her voice to unfortunate levels when she gets excited. (Irene, fortunately, did not inherit that habit.)

"I, uh," Irene sighs, slouching onto the arm of her living room couch. "I don't know, mom. Things are getting pretty demanding over here, and my friends can't cook or look after themselves even if their lives depended on it and—"

"But you promised," her mother whines, and Irene rolls her eyes. How she and the older woman are related, Irene will never understand.

From across the coffee table, Joy plops down on the other sofa, a sandwich in hand. The younger girl raises an eyebrow at Irene's scrunched up expression.

"What's up, Irene?" Joy asks, looking amused.

Irene simply shakes her head and brings her index finger to her lips in a shhh motion.

"Is someone with you?" Her mother asks, supposedly having heard the noise, and Irene's just about to reply with no right when Joy cuts her off with a Sooyoungie here, Mama Bae!

Irene groans as her mom responds back to the younger girl just as enthusiastically. This is what Irene gets for having Joy as her token childhood-friend-of-a-roommate who knows her mother way too well. Joy's practically another daughter, which is both a good and bad thing (and right now, it's the latter). So when Irene and her mother finally get back to their previous conversation, Irene's patience is really wearing thin.

"So," her mother says, "You're coming with a date, right?"

"I—" Irene stops, eyes wide. Oh god. She had completely forgotten about that pressing issue.

She quickly weighs out her options on how to respond before finally deciding that this situation is a bit more than helpless. I'm doomed either way, she relents with another sigh. This wedding weekend is not going to go well.

"Yes," Irene says, sounding defeated, and if her mother can sense the dreadful emotion, she doesn't let Irene know. It though, because Joy can see her face, and as the younger girl is choking on her sandwich from releasing guffaws of laughter, Irene whips a couch pillow her way.

"Great! Who are they?"

"Uh," Irene fumbles with her words, somewhat distracted as she turns away, since she can still see Joy muffling her laughs with the couch pillow from her peripheral vision. "You'll see when we show up, mom! It's a surprise."

Thankfully, her mother takes the bait and agrees not to ask further (but not before making Irene promise to arrive ahead of schedule), and when she and her mother hang up a minute later, Irene flops down onto the armrest, completely and utterly exhausted.

Joy, having since finished her sandwich, only shakes her head at Irene in pure, unrestrained amusement.

It's then that Yeri and Wendy walk in, Yeri coming from her bedroom, and Wendy with wet hair, entering from one of their bathrooms.

"What's up with Irene?" Yeri asks, and Irene lets out a sound of suffering.

"I'm doomed," Irene mumbles into a pillow, and Wendy blinks.

"Why?"

"What's going on in here?"

At the new voice, Irene immediately perks up, lifting her head up from the armrest and reaching out for the newcomer.

"Seulgi," she calls cutely, arms open and her face basically begging for cuddles. Hugs with her best friend Bear Seulgi are always Irene's best remedy for when she's feeling down.

"I'm coming, Hyun," Seulgi chuckles and beams down at her, quickly making her way over to where Irene's seated on the couch and positively melts into the older girl's embrace. She wraps an arm around Irene's shoulders and pulls back slightly to look at her best friend curiously, her cat-like eyes blinking adorably.

"I leave the house for only thirty minutes and of course something interesting happens," Seulgi jokes. Irene smiles in return, and flushes as Seulgi gently bops her nose. "You can't have fun without me."

"Well, I'll tell you what's fun. Our beloved Joohyun here has a bit of a problem," Joy singsongs, and Wendy covers a laugh.

"You make it sound like she got pregnant or something," Yeri snickers, and Irene frowns deeply.

"I am not pregnant!"

"That's right," Joy teases. "Irene can't be pregnant, Yerm. She'd have to actually get some action in order for that to happen."

"Hey!" Irene yelps indignantly before sulking back into Seulgi's embrace when the other girl tightens her hold on Irene's waist, mumbling, "This has nothing to do with how much action I may or may not be getting."

Yeri snorts, not bothering to cover it up like Wendy.

Wendy sighs at the satanic duo, instead focusing her attention on Irene. "So what's your problem, Rene? Something wrong?"

"I just lied to my mother about having a date," Irene mutters, wishing that she could just hide in Seulgi's hold for the rest of forever. "I said that I would show up to my cousin's wedding with one."

"But you don't have a date," Seulgi finishes, eyes soft with sympathy, and Irene nods. "But, you told her that you would back when you were with...?"

"Yeah," Irene nods. "And I don't regret breaking up with him, like, at all, but now I've got no date, so..."

Back when her mother first had told Irene about the wedding, a good three months ago, Irene hadn't been lying. She'd been dating a man named Song Mino back then, and he'd been all good and sweet and Irene had imagined herself attending the wedding with him. As she looks back, Irene can see how naive she'd been only a few months ago. Because then he'd gone and cheated on her. What a douchebag. She'd spent an entire night just crying into Seulgi's warm sweater.

"So it does have to do with how much action you're getting," Joy concludes, and Irene's seriously considering finding something hard to throw at the tall girl's face, but there's only so much she can do without having to move from Seulgi's comfortable embrace.

So since Seulgi won't let Irene reach for the hardcover book on the coffee table, Irene settles for sending Joy her most scathing glare. If looks could kill, Joy would've died at least twice by now.

"Not helpful, Sooyoung."

"Wasn't trying to be that time," Joy shrugs. "But hey, here's an idea. Why don't you just invite someone else? Like one of us, for instance."

"I wouldn't mind going with you, Irene," Yeri cuts in, surprisingly trying to be helpful, and Irene shoots the youngest a thankful look, but still shakes her head.

"Thanks for offering, Yerim, but my parents expect me to be romantically interested in whoever I bring, and you've already got Joy. Plus, my mom knows that you and Joy are a couple."

Yeri nods contemplatively, forming a silent 'o,' and Joy slings an arm around her waist as they lean against the wall.

"This is tough," Wendy puffs out her cheeks. "Why didn't you just tell your mom that you don't actually have a date instead of lying about it?"

"Because if I tell them that, they'll try to set me up with someone," Irene sighs, and Seulgi rubs her arm comfortingly. "I'll spend the entire weekend being awkward with someone that I don't even know, whom I'll talk to maybe once before we disappear out of each other's lives for eternity. And that's not even counting the hours my mom will spend ranting about how I 'need to settle down' or whatever."

"Yikes," Wendy pats her sympathetically. "That's rough, buddy. Well, it can't be me. I at lying about stuff like this. I won't be able to handle the pressure. What about Changsub?"

Irene shakes her head. "Nah, definitely not. My parents would definitely see right through that. Plus, he and his band are performing at some concert this weekend."

"What about Ilhoon?" Wendy questions before pausing. "Wait, he's in Changsub's band, never mind. Um... Solar?"

Irene actually laughs at the suggestion. Her and Solar? As close best friends, sure. But as a couple? Inconceivable. Especially with a certain girl crush hovering around. "I think Moonbyul would absolutely have a problem with that. She'd have a heart attack."

"No truer statement has ever been spoken," Joy agrees with a nod.

Irene feels Seulgi's chin come to rest on her shoulder.

"I guess it has to be me then," Seulgi says, her voice warm and comforting in Irene's ear, and the eldest girl stiffens slightly, turning around to face Seulgi.

"I— you will?" Irene stumbles over the simple sentence. Lying to her mother is one thing, but pretending to be dating Seulgi is another thing entirely.

For Irene to say that she's never imagined herself in a romantic relationship with her close friend would be a lie. A big fat lie. Irene's not blind— Seulgi is beautiful, and talented, and selfless, and overall an amazing human being, and Irene's definitely wondered what her life could have been like if she hadn't chickened out during their first meeting and asked Seulgi out on a date. But since they've become roommates, Seulgi has been nothing short of the ideal best friend, and Irene had decided that she was fine the way things were.

But if she's supposed to suddenly be dating Seulgi after two years of being platonic soulmates, Irene has the worst intuition that unwanted and undeserved feelings might rise to the surface once more. Is it really worth it? But it's Seulgi, so how bad could one weekend of fake dating be? She'll just have to push those feelings back down again.

Meanwhile, Seulgi appears to be incredibly amused at Irene's inner turmoil. She playfully taps the older girl on the nose, snapping her out of her reverie, and Irene scrunches her face.

Seulgi chuckles. "Cute."

Irene sticks out her tongue. "Meanie."

Seulgi rolls her eyes good-naturedly, shaking her head lightly and planting an open kiss into Irene's hair. "But you're really cute, Hyun."

Irene flushes. "I'm really not though."

"Then as your official fake girlfriend, it'll be my personal goal to make you see what I see." Seulgi flashes her a dazzling gleam, and oh, Irene doesn't think that she'll survive the weekend.

"They don't even need to try," Joy grumbles, tugging Yeri closer. "Oblivious art thou ship, and thy name is Seulrene."

Wendy simply rolls her eyes as Yeri begins to shout toot toot, like a ship leaving the shore, and she tows the youngest duo into the kitchen with a smirk, content with leaving Seulgi and Irene in their own little world.

Sure, Irene and Seulgi are anticipating the actual wedding weekend, but Wendy's looking forward to the days after they return. That will definitely be interesting.

--

"What are we doing?" Irene asks in distress, gripping the door handle of her car as Seulgi pulls out of their apartment complex's parking lot. She closes her eyes shut tight. "Oh, god, Seul, what are we doing?"

"Well," Seulgi says, as amused as ever, "I'm going to be your fake girlfriend for the weekend to keep your parents at bay during your cousin's wedding. Where have you been these past few days, Irene?"

It's the beginning of the end. Or, it's Thursday, and while the wedding won't happen until Saturday, Irene promised that she'd come a day early with her date to catch up and attend the practice dinners and ceremonies ("We're not even bridesmaids," Irene had complained as Seulgi chuckled. "Why do we even have to be there?"), and Friday will be filled with shopping, bachelorette parties, and whatnot.

"Oh, shut up," Irene mumbles, pouting, and Seulgi laughs.

The younger girl carefully takes her right hand off the steering wheel, reaching over to grab Irene's hand and give it a quick squeeze, pulling the car over to the side of the road. All the while, Irene keeps her eyes trained down on her lap, intently watching her own hand being enclosed in Seulgi's.

"Hey, look at me," Seulgi murmurs gently, coaxing Irene to meet her eyes. Irene's genuinely afraid of what she'll find in Seulgi's gaze, but to her greatest relief, there's nothing but comfort. "Hyun, do you trust me?"

"Of course," is Irene's immediate answer. If there's something that's not a lie here, it's the trust that Irene has in Seulgi. There's no one she trusts more than the girl sitting in the driver's seat next to her.

"Then put all of your faith in me," Seulgi says, squeezing Irene's hands once more. "I'll be with you this whole weekend. You... you're my best friend, Hyun." Irene's heart clenches a little at this. "I want what's best for you, and I'm willingly doing this with you. We don't have to go through with it if you don't want to though, there's still some time to back out."

And when Irene finds herself shaking her head, Seulgi smiles. "Then we're in this together. I'm ride or die with you the whole way. Hell, I'll be the best fake girlfriend you've ever seen!"

A full-blown smile grows on Irene's lips, and she looks gratefully at Seulgi. She's always known exactly what to say to calm Irene down. "Thank you, Seul. I really needed that."

"Any time," Seulgi replies with a sheepish shrug of her shoulders. She looks slightly embarrassed as she starts the car back up, but Irene can sense the shy pride on Seulgi's face. Cute.

--

"Words cannot describe how nervous I am right now," Seulgi announces, and Irene giggles. Seulgi shakes her head, looking a bit hysteric and wide-eyed. "No, seriously. I have to meet your parents. I'd completely forgotten about this part. I've never met them before, and what– what if they don't like me, Hyun? What if they don't accept me? God, Hyun, I really, really want to do this with you and there's no way in heaven or hell I'm backing out, but what if—"

"Seulgi," Irene cuts her off, raising a finger to silence Seulgi and her rambling. Currently, it's about one in the afternoon, and Seulgi and Irene are parked outside of the Bae family's house, debating on whether they should enter now or procrastinate for a few more minutes.

"Shhhhh," Irene hushes. She places a comforting hand on Seulgi's arm. Upon the action, Seulgi hastily shuts up and remains silent, eyes still enlarged. "They'll love you, Seul. You just have to be yourself. Remember what Joy said? We don't even have to try." Slowly, Seulgi nods, and Irene jokes, "Just be happy that I already came out as biual to my parents back in high school."

"God, I'm so glad for that," Seulgi mutters under her breath, and Irene lets out another round of giggles before they lapse into silence.

Then—

"...Hyun?"

"Yeah, Seul?"

"Can... Can I kiss you?"

Irene's eyes go wide, and Seulgi quickly clarifies, waving her hands erratically in front of her.

"I– I mean, we're girlfriends now– pretend girlfriends, I mean. But to everyone else, your parents included," Seulgi swallows, and Irene's mouth feels awfully dry; parched like a desert after a year without rain. "We're real. So we... we have to act as real as it gets, right? Kissing included?"

It takes a moment for Irene to process everything that just came out of her best friend's mouth, but she finds herself nodding.

"Yeah... Yeah, kissing included."

"I, uh," Seulgi shifts awkwardly. "I know that the front seat of a car isn't the most ideal place either, but I'd prefer for our first kiss to, um, not be in front of other people? Does that make sense? I guess I don't want to be surprised when it happens. I don't want either of us to be caught off guard so, um, yeah."

Irene just can't stop herself from nodding.

"Yeah, that makes sense."

"So, uh, can I...?" Seulgi leaves the implied question open and hanging in the air.

Irene doesn't say anything in response; just nods.

And it's over way too fast; Irene almost wants to pull Seulgi in and do it again. Feel Seulgi's welcoming lips over her own again. Revel in how warm Seulgi's mouth is. She wants to do it over again, she really does.

Except she can't do that, so Irene simply blushes as Seulgi pulls away while her lips, and the younger girl smiles shyly at her.

"How was that?" Seulgi asks, bashfully ducking her head.

"Perfect," is all Irene says in response, equally as timid. This time, it's Irene who gently coaxes Seulgi to look into her gaze, and with the utmost seriousness, she says, "I'm 100% not kidding, Seul, feel free to do that as much as you want while we're here."

Seulgi positively beams, glowing brighter than the sun.

--

"I told you they'd love you," Irene says hours later, as they're lying down on Irene's bed in her old bedroom, curled up next to each other. There’s still some time before the practice dinner, so they relax as much as they can. "They love you more than they love me!"

Seulgi laughs, burying her face into Irene's hair. "I thought I was going to die, Hyun! Your mother was great, welcoming me and all, but your brother? I got the shovel talk right then and there! And your father? My god just incinerate me on the spot. You didn't tell me that he was a police officer! A year-and-a-half of living together and you don't tell me important things like this?"

"He was joking about throwing you into prison if you do something wrong," Irene says, but Seulgi raises a questioning eyebrow at her.

"Are you sure?" Seulgi asks, looking hesitant, and Irene playfully hits her arm.

"Yes, silly!"

"Uhhuh," Seulgi says, as if she doesn't believe a word Irene says, and Irene rolls her eyes.

"It's going pretty well though," she continues, and Irene nods in agreement. "We've got your whole family under our spell, huh? They all think I'm the perfect girlfriend."

"Maybe because you are," Irene hints, and shifts to look up at Seulgi, who's propped up on her elbow, staring down at the shorter girl affectionately. "I'm pretty lucky."

"Fake lucky?" Seulgi jokes, only to freeze when Irene shakes her head.

"No, I'm really lucky," Irene confirms, definite and final with no room for discussion. "I'm really, really lucky to have someone like you in my life, Seul."

Seulgi seems stunned at that, eyes wide and hopeful. Irene wishes that she could take a picture, because honestly, the moment is just too perfect and Seulgi looks way too adorable for her own good. It's not hard for Seulgi to catch her off guard, but it's an incredibly rare sight for Irene to throw Seulgi off her metaphorical high horse, and it's honestly pretty satisfying.

"...When did you suddenly become a smooth talker?" Seulgi mutters under her breath, face heating up, and Irene throws her head back in laughter.

(She misses the way Seulgi's eyes soften as they take in all of Irene and her happiness, something unknown settling within the brown orbs.)

--

The rehearsal dinner is... interesting.

Okay, that's a lie. It's boring. Very boring. And Irene in part hates it because of how boring it is.

("Again, we're not even bridesmaids or anyone important!" Irene exclaims in exasperation as she and Seulgi get ready. "Why on earth do we have to be there? We're not giving speeches or anything!"

Seulgi just grins and pats her arm. "I'll do my best to keep you awake, Hyun.")

The other part of Irene's hatred for this rehearsal dinner is that her relatives are there. She really, really can't stand the vast majority of her unfortunate extended family. They’re the main reason why Irene didn't want to come in the first place. Most of them are privileged and snotty and all-around awful. She's found absolutely nothing redeemable about a good number of her relatives, and honest-to-God, Irene's been searching.

Seulgi's gone away to the other side of the hall to get some water, and Irene let her go somewhat reluctantly because now that Seulgi's not around to protect her, Irene's virtually vulture prey.

And, here comes the biggest one right now, Irene thinks to herself, fighting the urge to roll her eyes and trying to look occupied on her phone. Maybe, if she just looks busy enough, no one will—

"Joohyun, child! It's so nice to see you again!" The shrill voice of her Aunt Audrey pierces through the air. She's the aunt who had flown in from the United States; the one who lived in one of those large, suburban houses with a white picket fence and a large yard that neither she, her husband, nor her two daughters clearly ever used.

"Hello Aunt Ahreum—" Irene starts to greet awkwardly, but she quickly closes when the older woman raises her hand at Irene like she's directing traffic.

"Please, dear," Aunt Audrey scoffs. "It's Audrey."

Ah, that's right. Irene grits her teeth in annoyance. Aunt Audrey and the rest of her family all hate to be referred to anything related to their Korean names. Irene used to think that tendency came from living in the United States for too long, but since then, she's met so many Koreans with English names who've lived overseas – Krystal, Jessica, Rosé, and even her own roommates – who literally don't care if you call them Soojung, Sooyeon, Chaeyoung, Seungwan, or whatever their Korean name is. In conclusion, it's just stuck-up Aunt Audrey and her family.

"And I'm Irene," Irene casually reminds her. Truthfully, Irene doesn't care if anyone calls her Joohyun; Irene is just a nice name that she earned at the beginning of her fashion course in college. But Aunt Audrey doesn't need to know that, and Irene really just wants to snark her.

"Right, right, dear, of course." Aunt Audrey doesn't even look like she's paying attention, and Irene bristles at the sight. "So, dear, who was your friend you were sitting with?"

"That was my girlfriend, Seulgi," Irene says, putting particular emphasis on the word girlfriend.

"Oh," Aunt Audrey crinkles her nose. "I wasn't aware that you were one of those."

Irene's eyes widen.

"Excuse me?" Irene practically snarls, voice escalating in pitch and rising in volume. "I wasn't aware that—"

"Irene, darling! How have you been?"

Irene forces herself to calm down, and relief floods through her as Aunt Daeyeon saddles up to where she and Aunt Audrey are engaged in conversation.

"Good," Irene lies through her teeth, and reaches out to hug Aunt Daeyeon, also known as The Superior Aunt. Unlike Aunt Audrey, and the unfortunate majority of their family, Irene actually likes Aunt Daeyeon. She's her cousin Naeun's mother, super liberal, and very, very fun to around. Naeun, thankfully, is much like her mother; super liberal, and fun as hell. "I'm hanging in there, Aunt Daeyeon."

"Great! Oh, hello dear sister. Didn't see you there!" Aunt Daeyeon briefly addresses her other sister before turning back to Irene. "Irene, I was just talking to your Seulgi!"

"Were you?" Irene suddenly feels dizzy with elation, and it's crazy how the words your Seulgi manage to flip her mood so spontaneously like that.

"Yes!" Aunt Daeyeon nods excitedly, gripping Irene's arm. "She's just wonderful! Naeun absolutely adores her! I'm worried that she'll want to make Seulgi a last minute bridesmaid or something, given how well they're getting along!" She and Irene share a laugh before Aunt Daeyeon turns back to her sister. "Ahreum– oh! It's Audrey now, yes? Have you met Seulgi? Irene's girlfriend is just the loveliest girl!"

"Is that so?" Aunt Audrey sniffs, and Irene snorts.

"Absolutely," Aunt Daeyeon insists, and tugs on Irene's arm. "Come now, Irene! Let’s go see her!"

"Yes!" Irene agrees, nodding enthusiastically. "Let’s go see my girlfriend!" She directs the last word at Aunt Audrey before letting The Better Aunt tow her away towards Seulgi.

Once they're a good distance away, Irene and Aunt Daeyeon burst out in laughter.

"You looked like you were about to rip her apart, Joohyun," Aunt Daeyeon chuckles, wiping tears from her eyes. "I almost let you! It would've been so satisfying!"

"You should've," Irene playfully whines, but stops mid-thought as she spots Seulgi from where the taller girl is conversing with Naeun.

She watches Seulgi throw her head back in laughter, her entire frame shaking as she and Naeun giggle about one thing or another. Irene doesn't notice the smile sneaking across her own features, but she does recognize the happy feeling in her chest as she observes the scene. She's not concerned about anyone trying to take Seulgi away from her; Irene knows that Seulgi will always be loyal to her no matter what. What Irene does love, though, is how Seulgi uses her full body to laugh. Her friend is a dancer, so it only makes sense that she expresses her feelings through her entire body.

"You're in so deep," Aunt Daeyeon smirks from beside her, and Irene is startled out of her thoughts.

"What?"

"Nothing," Aunt Daeyeon drawls, moving forward to insert herself into Seulgi and Naeun's conversation, and Irene assumes that she should as well.

“Hyun!” Seulgi’s voice is excited as she greets the older girl. “Your cousin is great! Did you know that we’re the same age and have the same birthday?”

“Really?” Irene grins in genuine amazement and allows Seulgi to hook an arm around her waist. “That’s really cool!”

“We’re soulmates,” Naeun teases good-naturally, and Irene wrinkles her nose, draping herself over Seulgi’s arm.

“Watch it, Naeunie,” Irene sticks her tongue out, eyes twinkling. “She’s mine, and you’re getting married in two days.”

“I can’t believe you’re my unnie,” Naeun says with a shake of her head. She looks over the couple in front of her in interest, smile softening. “You two are cute, Joohyun. I’ve decided that you should keep her.”

“Have you? Good, I because I’m planning on it.” She doesn’t know why she said it, but Irene giggles, leaning up to peck Seulgi on the lips. While the younger girl’s eyes widen slightly, she otherwise remains unfazed, and Irene witnesses an adoring smile blossom across her features.

“Stop!” Naeun whines. “It’s my wedding this weekend, and I’m and you two are way too cute!”

“Sorry,” Seulgi chuckles, her arm rising to rest across Irene’s shoulders. “We’ll try and keep the PDA on the low-key end of the spectrum— just for you.” She winks, and Irene has to restrain herself from fainting.

Naeun crosses her arms, a twinkle in her eyes. “You best better.”

--

That night, they go to sleep on opposite sides of the Irene's queen-sized bed, Seulgi sleeping soundly and Irene clutching the teddy bear that, ironically enough, Seulgi had given her on her last birthday (Irene had appropriately nicknamed the stuffed-toy "Seulgom," although she's yet to admit that out loud to Seulgi, or anyone else, for that matter).

Truth be told, Irene doesn't know why they bothered sleeping on separate ends. She doesn't know what they're trying to accomplish. Boundaries? Yeah right. They've slept in the same bed on many occasions, usually when there's a thunderstorm and Irene gets scared.

Apparently, according to Wendy, who'd known Seulgi since middle school, the bear-like girl had never been one for skinship and the like, but that had changed when she'd met Irene. In fact, Irene had never known that Seulgi had once hated it, since she never refused Irene and was the first to cuddle with the older girl when Irene would shuffle over to Seulgi's bed during a storm.

The next morning, Irene wakes up entangled in Seulgi's arms, their legs twined together and Irene tucked snugly under Seulgi's chin.

Irene blinks up at Seulgi, who drowsily comes to her senses and blinks down, equally as tired, at Irene.

"Well," Seulgi mumbles into Irene's hair, tightening her hold. "So much for opposite ends of the bed."

Irene nods, letting out an indistinguishable sound of agreement, because she just can't find the words or motivation to articulate properly this morning.

Well, that was utterly pointless.

--

Seulgi decides to be nice and let Irene sleep in more, and, despite the older girl's attempts to get her to say in bed, Seulgi insists that she'll get restless fast if she doesn't get up now and do something.

So Irene waves Seulgi off she goes downstairs to make coffee, and Irene goes back to sleep for more shut-eye.

Thirty-minutes later, Irene wakes up to the smell of bacon frying, and decides that okay, she can get up for something like her mother's homemade breakfasts. Because if there's something that Irene's missed from home, it's her mother's cooking (and it's a shame that her relatives ordered catering for the wedding instead of having her mother do it, because Irene knows that nothing tastes as good as her mother's meals.)

To her surprise, she finds Seulgi in the kitchen with her mother, the two of them in deep conversation when Irene makes her appearance. Quietly, she pads across the kitchen to her best friend without much thought.

"G'morning," Irene murmurs, wrapping her arms around Seulgi's torso and resting her chin on the taller girl's shoulder. It's not an unfamiliar position— yet another snippet of their real friendship slipping into their white lies. Irene usually latches onto one of her four roommates in the early mornings, and more often than not, that roommate is Seulgi.

"Hey, you," Seulgi says with a smile in her voice. She turns her head to give Irene a good morning kiss on her cheek, but the shorter girl chases Seulgi's lips with her own.

She hears Seulgi’s breath hitch slightly, but she can feel Seulgi's grin on her lips, so it's a win-win situation for the both of them. And maybe a triumph for her mother too, because Irene can sense her mom cooing over the sight of the couple being so domestic.

"How cute!" Mrs. Bae swoons.

Irene blushes as she and Seulgi break apart. She really shouldn't be enjoying this so much. After all, she and Seulgi are best friends, right? Irene's not that big on watching dramas, but she's seen what Seulgi watches, and she doesn't think that the protagonists usually kiss their best friends for fun.

But it's too early in the morning for such thoughts, Irene reasons. So she allows Seulgi to tug her down to the kitchen table, swoons as Seulgi pulls out her chair for her, and smiles at her fake girlfriend as she serves her bacon and eggs and rice. And Irene realizes mid-meal that she's been eating with one hand because while her right hand is holding her spoon, her left hand is squeezing Seulgi's under the table.

But Seulgi looks so picture-perfect here, in Irene's childhood home, eating breakfast with their hands intertwined. For some reason, while her mother's breakfast is usually very filling, it tastes better than Irene remembers. That might be homesickness talking, but it also might have something to do with the girl holding her left hand.

--

“Irene’s not strong enough to give me a piggyback! Or, that's what she always says, at least.”

Seulgi laughs, stooping down to let Herin, Irene’s eight-year-old niece, onto her back. She and Irene had volunteered to take little Herin and her eleven-year-old sister, Koeun, out with them so that Herin’s mother – one of Naeun’s sisters – and father could attend the bachelor and bachelorette parties that night. (It also conveniently gave Seulgi and Irene an excuse not to go, because “I’m not looking forward to watching Naeun get a lapdance from a stripper, Seul. And neither are you.”)

The small girl scrambles onto her back, and Seulgi stands up with the child clinging to her shouldersan exaggerated umph! escaping her lips. Next to them, Koeun giggles, leaning into Irene’s side as a light breeze blows by. The sun is setting in the midsummer heat, and Irene had insisted that the four of them leave her parents’ house and take a walk.

“That’s because Irene’s boring,” Seulgi quips helpfully as the four girls resume their stroll down the side of the Han River, and she yelps as Irene smacks her arm.

“Hey!” the older girl says indignantly, and Herin pouts as Irene’s physical contact sends Seulgi stumbling backwards a step.

Imo, don’t hit Seulgi!” Koeun scolds, ever-so protective of her younger sister. “I don’t want Herin to fall into the river!”

“Sorry, Herinie,” Irene apologizes to her youngest niece before rolling her eyes at a grinning Seulgi.

“Don’t worry, Hyun,” Seulgi hastily plants a brief kiss on Irene’s cheek. “I like boring people.”

Irene scoffs, cheeks burning red, but says nothing before noticing Koeun fixing her with a look of sudden interest.

“Irene?” Koeun tugs her arm gently. “Do you and Seulgi live together?”

Irene chuckles. “Something like that. We also live with three other friends of ours. You remember Joy, right?”

“Yeah!” Herin exclaims, “The really fun auntie who bought us chocolate ice cream and cotton candy when we went to the amusement park last year!”

Seulgi shoots Irene a humorously concerned look that screams why would Joy ever give children that much sugar?

Irene giggles. “Right. She and her girlfriend Yeri live with us as well. And our friend Wendy too.”

Koeun her head in a way that reminds Irene endearingly of Seulgi. “That sounds a bit crowded.”

“It is,” Irene agrees, “but it’s so much fun to be living with your closest friends.”

“Were you and Seulgi friends when you moved in?”

“Actually, Seul was the one who invited us to live with her,” Irene chuckles. “My friends and I had known her for maybe two weeks before we moved in.”

“How’d you meet?” Koeun sounds a bit too eager at the aspect of this story.

Irene flushes. “Uh, I…”

“Irene hated me!” Seulgi interjects, throwing her head back and letting out a loud guffaw of laughter. “She hated me with such a passion!”

“What?” Koeun gapes. “But you go so well together!”

“I only hated you for thirty minutes,” Irene corrects with a frown, crossing her arms. “No need to start misconceptions.”

“And during those thirty minutes, I could feel your glare searing through my scalp,” Seulgi jokes. “We had been at the same bookstore, and I’d grabbed the last copy of the book Irene had wanted on the shelf,” she further explains. “I read the first few chapters in about thirty minutes all the while Irene was staring a hole into my skull. I felt really guilty, so I went up to the counter, bought the book, and then presented it to her while bowing in apology and begging for forgiveness.”

“Surprisingly, there was no exaggeration in anything she just said,” Irene adds, and laughs as Koeun’s jaw seemingly hits the floor. “We soon got to talking after she invited me out for coffee, and I started complaining about how my friends and I hated our college dorms with the entirety of our beings.”

“Did you stop fighting after that?”

“I think Hyun and I get into a minor argument at least once every day,” Seulgi says lightheartedly. “Over some of the most mundane things too. Like what type of pancakes we should make, or what movie we should watch. This morning, we had a fight over what matching wedding attire we should be wearing tomorrow.”

“But you and Irene-imo make it work, right?” Koeun insists, and Irene ruffles her hair tenderly.

“Of course we do. I think… I think what Seulgi and I have is something special,” Irene says without thinking, and Seulgi whips her head to look at Irene so fast that she hits Herin in the face with her hair. Herin squeals a small Seulgi! and Koeun squeaks in protest.

“Ah, sorry, Herinie.” Seulgi murmurs, not taking her eyes off of the older girl.

“I’m tired,” Herin yawns, snuggling into Seulgi’s back. Seulgi smiles and hoists Herin up a bit higher, and Koeun reaches up to pat her sister’s head.

“Let’s go back to my parent’s house then,” Irene suggests, sharing an endearing glance with Seulgi. “Your mom and dad will pick you up from there. Sound good?”

“Okay,” Koeun responds in place of her sleepy sister. “Can you make us something to eat, Irene-unnie?

Seulgi nudges Irene’s shoulder, looking ethereal and at peace under the city lights by to the water, her eyes sparkling like stars, and Irene’s breath catches, but she smiles like she’s just seen the answer to life. So she bops Koeun on the nose and hooks arms with her niece with Seulgi to her left.

“Anything you want.”

--

It’s 9PM that night when Herin and Koeun both fall asleep on the couch with gimbap in their stomachs and Moana still playing on the TV. Seulgi says that she wants to shower, and Irene agrees, pushing the taller girl towards the bathroom after declaring, “You smell Seul! Go!”

As soon as Seulgi’s out of earshot, Irene silently opens the front door and sits herself down on the porch step, fishing out her phone from her pocket and punching in a number hastily.

“Hello?”

“Yongsun!”

“Hey, Joohyun!” Irene allows a small smile as she catches Solar’s cheery voice from the other end of the line. “What’s up?”

“Listen, I, um, I have something to ask— wait, are you cooking something?”

“Not anymore!” Solar chirps gleefully, and Irene can hear her friend stepping away from the stove and boiling pot, and pulling away from the receiver. “Byul! Make sure Wheein’s ramyeon doesn’t burn!”

There’s a shout of “sure thing!” from the distance, and Irene chuckles.

“Okay,” Solar says, and Irene catches the faint sound of Solar plopping down onto a sofa. “What’s up?”

“Um,” Irene flushes even though she knows that Solar can’t even see her. “So you know the whole wedding debacle that I told you about a few days ago?”

“The one where Seulgi is your fake girlfriend? Yes, of course I— wait,” Solar gasps. “Did that bear do something wrong to you, Irene? I can get Byul to talk with her right now—“

“No, no!” Irene hurriedly says, shaking her head viciously. “No, everything is perfect— Seulgi is perfect. Absolutely perfect.”

“I’m failing to see the problem here,” Solar says in confusion, but as she catches wind of Irene’s pained sigh, it dawns on the pink-haired girl.

“Oh, Joohyun. Have you fallen for Seulgi?”

And there’s the truth.

“I think I fell a while ago,” Irene says meekly, hating how strained her voice sounds, “and I still haven’t gotten up.”

A pause.

“How long is a while ago?”

“Two years, give or take.”

“Wow.”

“Yeah, wow.”

“I’m not surprised, to be honest.”

Irene’s ears perk up at the admission. “Wait, what?”

Solar’s laugh rings loud and clear from her side of the line. “Joohyun, when you first introduced Seulgi to me, Byul, Wheein, and Hwasa, we thought that you were introducing us to your new girlfriend. You had this happy smile on your face that I’d never seen before in our fourteen years of friendship. And Seulgi— she looked at you like you could move mountains. That look hasn’t left her face in two years.”

“But I can’t move mountains,” Irene sighs, looking up at the night sky wistfully. “I can’t even climb them.”

“So?” Irene can basically see Solar shrug. “You can help each other. Climb them together. That’s what Byulyi and I have been doing for the past few years.”

“Does she even like me though?” Irene asks, her voice wavering on the brink of desperation. “Does she even think of me in that way?”

“I’m not the one who can give you a definite answer, Joohyun,” Solar says gently, “but I have a hunch that she’s just as deep as you, if not more.”

“You think so?”

Solar’s deep, hearty laugh is more than comforting for Irene. “I really do, and—“

Irene’s best friend is cut off by some background noise that sounds like the clanging of a pot cover onto a boiling pot, and Moonbyul calling, Hyejin! Can you come here and make sure that Wheein’s ramyeon doesn’t burn? I have to take this call, and Hwasa yelling, Wheein, get over here and look after your own damn ramyeon!

“How much do you want to bet that’s Seulgi calling,” Solar says cheekily, and Irene smiles. “I wouldn’t be shocked if she called Byul for some relationship advice.” There’s a soft chuckle from the opposite end of the line. “Don’t let her know I told you, but she’s called for help before.”

“She has?” That’s definitely news to Irene.

“Yeah,” Solar hums. “The day before the two of you left for your parents’ house. I’m not quite sure what she and Byul talked about, but Moonbyul left our balcony muttering something about how ‘kids these days should have a bit more restraint.’”

Irene sputters something that hopefully sounds like we’re very restrained, thank you very much, but somehow, she highly doubts her message was conveyed well considering how Solar bursts in guffaws as Irene stammers through one excuse after another.

They say goodbye thirty minutes later, once Irene has managed to recount all of the various events that had occurred since they arrived, including an entire rant of how awful and closeminded some of her relatives can be. Solar stifles a yawn, and Irene knows that she’s kept her best friend for long enough, so with a lighter heart, they hang up.

Irene quietly makes her way up to her (and Seulgi’s) bedroom, but not before sneaking a peak into the living, Irene spies her two favorite nieces still sound asleep on the couch. She reaches the door and chances upon the tail-end of Seulgi’s phone call.

“Thanks, Byul. That really boosted my confidence.” A pause. “Yeah, I think I’ll follow your advice.” Another. “Yes, for you information, I am treating her very well! I’m the best girl— fake girlfriend you’d ever see!” Irene giggles quietly, and Seulgi’s eyes widen as she looks up. “Oh, Hyun’s here. Goodbye, Byul.”

Irene’s giggles only accumulate as Seulgi jabs at the touchscreen of her phone, fuming, before tossing it somewhere onto the covers. The older girl smiles and makes her way onto the bed. Immediately, practically reflexively, Seulgi lifts an arm, inviting Irene into her warmth, who gratefully accepts it and snuggles into Seulgi’s side.

“Who’d you call?” Irene asks absentmindedly, playing gingerly with Seulgi’s fingers.

“Moonbyul,” Seulgi answers honestly. “I… had some thoughts that I needed help sorting through.”

“Hmm,” Irene hums in reply, her eyes drooping slightly as Seulgi begins threading her fingers through Irene’s hair. “I had some thoughts too. I just got off the phone with Solar.”

“Of course those two are the first people we think of calling for advice,” Seulgi jokes, and Irene drowsily nods in agreement.

“I’m so sleepy. We did so much today.” She bites her lip. “I really shouldn’t be falling asleep right now. I should be awake when my cousin comes back for Herin and Koeun.”

“Then I’ll stay up with you,” Seulgi declares. She nudges the older girl to get up. “Come on! I was helping your dad clean up the garage earlier, and I found your old Nintendo64. I bet I could beat you at some Mario Kart,” Seulgi singsongs, and Irene sits up.

“Oh, you’re on, Kang Seulgi.”

--

The next thing Irene knows, it’s Saturday, and she’s sitting in a church pew next to Seulgi, watching her cousin, Naeun, get married off to her new husband, Taemin.

“My bet’s on Taemin crying first,” Seulgi whispers low into Irene’s ear as the pastor starts announcing the couple’s vows.

“Well, it’s too bad that I think the same,” Irene chuckles just as inaudibly, watching Seulgi pout. “So no money for you!”

“That’s no fun, Hyun, and— oh, look! There he goes,” Seulgi mutters, keeping up her running commentary, and Irene’s grin catches Naeun’s gaze from the front of the church, where the younger girl is handing her new husband a tissue in front of their entire family.

“Who do you think would cry first at our wedding?” Irene questions abstractedly, and if Seulgi is put-off by the question, she doesn’t show it.

Instead the younger girl shrugs with a raised eyebrow. “Between you or me? That’s a good question, Hyun. Neither of us are big criers.”

They share a smile at that.

“Okay,” Irene says. “Let’s just agree that Wendy would cry before the opening music even played.”

Seulgi nods curtly, as if they’ve just discussed something of Utmost Importance.

“Agreed.”

--

“So, how are you doing with your studies these days, Joohyun?” Two identical voices chime out amongst the buzz of the wedding dinner chaos.

Irene groans, tossing her head back in annoyance. “Why does your part of the family always come and find me when my girlfriend’s not around? Are you trying to screw with me?” (The word girlfriend just falls seamlessly from her lips at this point, no thought needed.)

And really, Irene is royally screwed on her own this time, because staring down at her are Trish and Trixie, the twin spawns of Satan herself (more commonly known as Aunt Audrey).

“We were just wondering how you were doing over here in Korea,” Trish says, her smile reminding Irene of something vile.

“We’re attending college over in the States,” Trixie adds ever-so-kindly, and Irene can feel the bile rising in . “We’re excelling. How about you, Joohyun?”

There’s something about the way Trixie emphasizes Irene’s Korean name that makes it sound like the repulsive twin is cursing her. Irene hates it. She hates the feeling of being attacked, and it’s not like it’s the first time her twin cousins have done something like this. Irene finds herself going through the same questioning during every family gathering. And she loathes it.

“It’s Irene,” she spits back through gritted teeth, irate with rage as her cousins stare on in amusement as though Irene is some plaything. “And actually, I’m at the top of my class, for your information—”

“Oh,” Trish cuts her off, and Irene is ready to strangle someone. “You’re still majoring in fashion, aren’t you? Well, considering the course and the people taking it, it shouldn’t be that hard for someone like you to make it to the top.”

And there are the scathing words that Irene is bracing herself for. She feels that same familiar sense of self-hatred start to coil up in the pit of her stomach. The tempting words curl around and creep up her spine like vines, lingering where they cling and stinging where they touch. She clenches her fists so tight she’s sure that her nails will leave marks, trying to hold the tears back; to not give in.

Yet just as soon as the dreaded feeling arrives, it disappears. Because suddenly, there’s a sturdy arm around Irene’s waist, rubbing comforting circles into the skin there. And there’s the familiar scent of lavender wafting around her, and a steady warmth pressing into her back, and suddenly, everything is okay.

“I’m here, Hyun,” Seulgi whispers low into Irene’s ear. “I’ve got you. Don’t listen to them, baby. You’re perfect in every way. Don’t pay attention to them, Hyun-ah.”

And Irene nods, already dismissing the twins’ claims as something irrelevant, because Seulgi is here, and Seulgi is what’s right.

Turning back to the smirking twins, Seulgi raises an accusing eyebrow up. “So, why exactly are you trying diminish my girlfriend? And you’re dismissing Irene’s credit too soon. Did you know that top brands like Blanc & Eclare are already asking Irene to design for them? She’s getting paid like a professional fashion designer, she’s getting treated and respected like a professional fashion designer, and she’s still in college. All the while, she’s maintaining the best grades in her year, and makes time for a pretty steady and damn good relationship, if I do say so myself.”

Irene feels her heart warming, gazing up at Seulgi in awe. “Seul…”

“I don’t think you have any right to put my Joohyun down,” Seulgi concludes, crossing her arms. She’s shorter than both Trish and Trixie, but in this moment, Irene realizes that the younger girl towers over both of them.

Trish fixes Seulgi with a hard glare that Seulgi on returns with more fire. She tilts her head back, looking at Irene.

“So, now that we’ve got that over with, wanna introduce me, Hyun?”

And then Irene can’t speak because of the way that she’s laughing too hard at the gaping open-mouthed expressions on her cousins’ faces.

“These –” Irene finds herself gasping for breath as Trish and Trixie still appear dumbfounded at being scolded by this girl who didn’t even know their names. “These are my cousins, Trish and – and Trixie, Seul.” She pauses briefly, pressing a hand to her chest in an attempt to even out her breathing.

“Truthfully, I’ve never understood why Aunt Audrey named them like that, considering how ‘Trish’ and ‘Trixie’ are nicknames from the same name, but whatever floats her boat, I suppose…” Irene adds under her breath.

“Wait,” Seulgi blinks at the two identical girls. “So are your names both Patricia?”

Irene thinks that she might lose her head from laughing so hard.

--

“They were mean,” Seulgi says a few minutes later, holding Irene protectively in her arms, glaring at the retreating backs of Trish and Trixie. “I'm not letting them get close to you ever again, Hyun. I promise.”

“Thank you, Seulgi,” Irene replies with a smile, her expression adoring.

“And they were creepy,” Seulgi huffs, blatantly referring to the part where the twins started finishing each other's sentences as they made a rush to leave. “They reminded me of that one scene with the two creepy twins standing next to each other in the hallway.”

Irene her head to the right slightly. “Are you talking about The Shining?”

Seulgi furrows her brow, “I was talking about The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.”

The younger girl only beams at Irene as she's sent into yet another laughing fit, clutching at the fabric of Seulgi's dress and breathlessly begging for the other girl to never change, Seul. Never.

Irene’s met with a smile that's b with shiny white teeth.

“Never, Hyun, never.” A brief pause. “Wanna dance with me?”

“Why, I'd love to, Seul.”

--

Irene supposes that it's only right that they talk.

She doesn't know why she waits so long though. Irene's still trying to find her words, even after they've said goodbye to her mom and dad, and all of her relatives— even the ones that Irene doesn't particularly care for.

And Seulgi— she has this longing in her eyes that Irene simply can't ignore. Ever since Irene’s chat with Solar, she’s been more aware of Seulgi; where Seulgi’s eyes go, how long they linger, how often she gets that look in her eyes.

She knows that Seulgi's wondering the exact same thing as her: where do we go from here?

Their weekend is over. In all technicality, they're no longer a couple; not even a fake-anything. But it hurts to think like that, so where do they go?

Irene doesn't know if Seulgi understands that the older girl’s feelings for her run deeper than a simple liking matter. She loves Seulgi, no doubt there. She has for the past two years, ever since she first met the younger. Yet it's weird. Because as much as Irene adores new things, she’s always has been afraid of change, and that's a fact.

She'd been in love with the idea of starting over and going to college after high school. She’d hated the idea of not living with her parents; of living with a stranger in unfamiliar dorms. Irene has always been afraid of the unfamiliar.

Irene and Seulgi had been platonic soul mates for two years, and the thought of that changing should, in all probability, be terrifying. Yet this past weekend had proven her wrong.

And now that's she's tasted what a life with Seulgi as a lover would be like, Irene doesn't think that she ever wants to go back. Never had she wanted change so desperately.

Irene thinks that she gets lucky when they're driving home and it's Seulgi who actually opens first after an hour of driving in comfortable silence.

“So…” Seulgi says, not taking her eyes off the road. “How was I this weekend?”

“Amazing,” Irene responds immediately. “You were absolutely perfect.”

“Your entire family loved me,” Seulgi muses. “Well, save for the devil Patricias and their satanic mother, but I can bear with them hating me.”

Irene chuckles. “That's good. I'm glad that they didn’t get to you that bad. Koeun and Herin absolutely adored you.”

“I adored them too,” Seulgi says, obvious fondness and favoritism leaking into her words. “They were adorable. You took care of them so well, Hyun. You'll be a great mother one day.”

“I'm glad you said that,” Irene murmurs. “Because I'm pregnant.”

“WHAT?”

Seulgi pulls over in a jerky motion, slamming on the brakes abruptly as Irene erupts into laughter. Upon realizing that she’d been tricked, Seulgi growls playfully and begins her tickle attack.

“I'm kidding, I'm kidding!” Irene gasps through uncontrollable laughter. “I'm sorry!”

“I could have crashed because of you!” Seulgi yells, laughter evident in her own tone as she holds Irene in a chokehold.

“But you didn't!” Irene grins.

“Be glad I didn't,” Seulgi shakes her head warily. “Honestly, Hyun! I nearly had a heart attack! I thought I'd be stuck as your fake-girlfriend for even longer! Maybe even your fake-wife!”

At the mention of their little trick, Irene frowns. “Do you not want to be my fake-girlfriend anymore?”

Seulgi sighs, having realized that it's time for The Talk. “Truthfully? No.”

And Irene feels her chest sinking. What is this awful feeling? She looks down at her lap, suddenly the urge to cry overtaking her senses.

“O-oh,” she stutters, trying to not let her expression show any disappointment, but the crack in her voice betrays her. “I—”

“Do you think that it’d be too farfetched to say that I want to be your real girlfriend for next time?”
Irene’s gaze snaps up, and there's Seulgi looking at her in that way that says you can move mountains so long as you try, and gets the feeling that she’s staring back with just as much wonder— probably along the lines of this amazing person wants to be my actual girlfriend.

“That’s not farfetched at all,” Irene breathes, and the anxiety that had briefly marred Seulgi’s beautiful face is swept away.

And they’re both grinning at each other like idiots until Seulgi shakes her head, pinches herself, and then nudges Irene softly.

“Wait, so you really want to be my girlfriend? Like, my girlfriend girlfriend? The realest of the girlfrien—“

"Yes, I want to be your stupid real girlfriend!" Irene laughs, interrupting her bumbling excuse of a girlfriend.

"Hey! I'll have you know that my real girlfriend is really smart!" Seulgi protests.

"God, you're an idiot," Irene rolls her eyes affectionately.

"I don't think you quite get how this whole 'girlfriends' thing works, Hyun."

--

“I can’t believe we’re home already,” Irene says with a sigh, her fingers intertwined with Seulgi’s as they stroll through the hallways of their apartment building, making their way up to their shared apartment. “These past few days have gone by so fast. But on the other hand, they were some of the longest days of my life.”

Seulgi barks out a laugh, running her free hand through her hair. “I feel you there, Hyun. So many practice dinners and dinners… I don’t get it. I mean, we weren’t giving speeches or anything, so why were we there?”

“Who knows, Seul,” Irene giggles.

They’re about five feet from the apartment when Seulgi abruptly stops in her path, a contemplative look on her face. “Hey, Hyun? Think you can go an extra few minutes before we step inside our humble abode?”

“Hm? Of course, Seul, why— mmph!”

A pair of lips slam into Irene’s and with a pleased laugh, Irene kisses Seulgi back just as hard, only pulling away briefly for Seulgi to whisper:

“I get the feeling that we won’t be able to do this as often when we step in there. Let’s make these few minutes count.”

--

Seulgi decides that they should act like nothing happened on their trip around their friends— not because they’re trying to hide or anything, but more like it’s a game to see how long they can trick and annoy their friends into thinking that they’ve still managed to be just friends after their trip.

They get through the obligatory welcome home hugs (more like tackles on behalf of Joy and Yeri) just fine, trying not to act suspicious as Seulgi stands five feet away from Irene but continuously shoots the older girl teasing looks that make Irene have to conceal her giggles.

A few minutes into the wedding recap, and Irene gets tired, plopping down on the couch to rest.

“So… Irene,” Joy smirks, seeing her chance and diving onto the spot on the couch next to the eldest. “Seulgi must've looked pretty hot in that dress, don't you think?”

Irene has to bite back a laugh at the sight of Joy wriggling her eyebrows. She opens to reply when—

“You're too late, Joy. They've already made out in front of the apartment door,” Wendy quips, walking in and setting a plate of freshly baked muffins on the living room table.

“What.” Two pairs of shocked eyes and gaping mouths meet the two equally shocked centers of attention. Irene hastily jumps off the couch and makes a beeline for Seulgi on the opposing loveseat.

“I thought that you implied that nothing happened!” Joy shrieks, lunging for the nearest couch pillow to lob at the offending duo. Yeri squeaks in shock as she leaps after Joy, throws her arms around Joy’s waist, and attempts to pacify the slightly older girl.

Irene yelps and buries her face into Seulgi's shirt with a muffled, “implied being the keyword here!” at the same time Seulgi whips her head around to gape at Wendy, stunned.

“How on earth did you—”

“I didn't know,” Wendy says, the smirk on her face being the dictionary definition of smug. “I guessed. But your lack of denial is confirmation in itself.”

It's incredibly amusing, Wendy thinks, to finally get to see Kang Seulgi speechless and opening and closing like a fish out of water.

“Wait,” Yeri says, holding up a hand and looking especially apprehensive. “So are you two together or what?”

Irene chances a glance away from the soft yellow fabric of Seulgi's shirt only to meet the inquisitive, murderous glares of the two maknaes. Letting out a high-pitched ack! she quickly nods before returning to hiding once more.

Seulgi grins, throwing her head back and laughing in that open-hearted way that Irene loves, pressing a soft kiss onto the top of Irene’s head before turning her attention to Joy and Yeri.

“I think that's a yes,” she says cheekily, laughing again when the two youngest girls groan and flop onto the couch.

“Great!” Wendy chirps happily. She skips over to the loveseat where Seulgi and Irene are cuddling, patting the taller girl on the head in glee. “Joy and Yeri are treating us to dinner tonight! I'll tell Solar, Moonbyul, Wheein, and Hwasa to meet us at the restaurant, and—”

“Wait, don't Wheein and Hwasa have to pay too?” Joy is quick to clarify, completely ignoring the looks of confusion on Irene and Seulgi’s faces.

“Did they make a bet on us?” Irene whispers into Seulgi's ear as the other three girls continue to bicker across the apartment.

("I told you that they wouldn't wait to get home!" "Argh KangSeul! Couldn't you have waited until the day after you got back here?")

“I think so,” Seulgi replies, with a shrug. “Are you mad?”

Irene shakes her head, a soft smile gracing her lips. “No. Are you?”

“Not really,” Seulgi shrugs again. “I mean, we get free dinner out of it. Pretty nice, right?”

“So there are perks to dating you! I knew they would show up somewhere!” Irene teases.

Seulgi gasps, looking affronted as she places a hand on her chest. “Excuse me, Bae Joohyun?”

The older girl simply grins, leaning up and stealing a kiss. “Love you, Seul.”

She’s met with two twinkling eyes that scrunch into crescent moons as Seulgi smiles with everything she has.

“I love you too, Hyun.”

End.