Prologue

Feels

Sleeping in the streets isn’t as bad as most people think, at least that’s what Chaeyoung thinks. Aside from a few insects, the homeless community is mostly forgiving and accepting towards the 18-year-old who comes to visit irregularly. They do not question why a student lives alone without parents, nor the fact that no one has come looking for her- they simply accept her into the family.

 

Everyone sticks to their own business, too busy looking for means of survival to satisfy their curiosity.

 

With bags small enough to carry easily, she is allowed to take up the tiny corner located in the back of the alleyway close enough to the local Wi-Fi zone without causing too much disturbance. Next to her, there’s a cozy toilet equipped with a water hose and a toilet safe for use.

 

However, these sleepovers are only once a month to avoid suspicion from her parents- the upper echelons of society who would never associate with these lower-class people.  Sure, she wants to protect these people with her abilities, but she would still choose a hot tub of water over a cockroach infested toilet stall.

 

Either way, she likes these people, despite her parent’s warnings to never associate with them. They speak of these people as if they were filth, but Chaeyoung understands where they come from. After all, her parents used to be bullied by the local bikers living on 13 Summer street. She knows the level of resentment they feel, and the betrayal they would feel if they discovered what she was doing- saving their sworn enemies.

 

Oh well. Life is short, Chaeyoung thinks to herself as she zips up her jacket- what better way to spend it than sleeping next to some trashcans. With a sigh, Chaeyoung snuggles abit deeper into the comfort of her backpack, allowing her sore muscles to rest from their daily workout.

 

Being a hero isn’t easy, but Chaeyoung doesn’t like to call herself that- she prefers the word “Vigilante”. A person who isn’t all good, but rather the coin with 2 sides- good and evil. After all, humans are all inherently evil- no one is born perfect.

 

 Except Ariana Grande. Maybe.

 

A loud crash breaks Chaeyoung’s train of thought, and she immediately trades her dairy for a much more lethal alternative- a butterfly knife with serrated edges. She could always use her powers, but then it gets too easy- what’s life with a little challenge, right?

 

Carefully stashing her dairy into the deepest folds of her duffel bag, she takes a deep breath before putting her hood back on. Up ahead, silhouettes of two burly men appear with the familiar overpowering stench of alcohol. But more worrying is the unmistakable shape of the objects they hold- Molotovs and fuel cans.

 

Her feet start moving of her own accord- instincts taking over as her mind dreads the possibility of burning flesh and burnt bodies. But then her mind takes back control of her body, and she jumps onto the nearest building with a single leap with speed too fast for the human eye. With a singular burst of energy, she sprints forward, hoping to stop the two s from doing the unthinkable.

 

But superpowers can’t stop everything, not even the idiotic actions of two unemployed , so when Chaeyoung drops from the building to deliver the fatal blow, the match has already been lit. And as she lands, it falls from his hands and lands on some newspapers, catching wind as the flames spreads like wildfire.

 

Some men just want to watch the world burn.