Ch. 3

The Spell I'm Under is You

So I was originally planning on having this be myungyeol all the way through, but I'm also really fond of woosoo. And now I'm not sure who Myungsoo's going to end up with in the end.

 

 

 

"Are you sure about this?"

Myungsoo nearly chokes on the first sip of his iced tea. He leans closer to Woohyun and pitches his voice lower as if someone else in the café might be interested in their conversation. "You're the one who said Sungyeol likes me back."

Woohyun leans in as well, though he doesn't seem as concerned as Myungsoo. "He does. But I wasn't suggesting you flaunt a new relationship in his face. That's just mean. And not exactly the way to show him you like him."

Slumping back in his seat, Myungsoo groans. "I'm such an idiot." The night they met, Myungsoo had confessed his feelings for Sungyeol to Woohyun only to learn that the older man had already guessed as much. He was also sure Sungyeol felt the same way about Myungsoo. It had been hard to believe at first. They've been friends for years and Myungsoo never once suspected Sungyeol might like him back. (He has been holding onto the hope that he might, though.) But Woohyun was completely sure. And when Sungyeol had practically grilled Myungsoo about Woohyun the next morning, he had finally started to believe it.

And for some reason pretending to date Woohyun to make Sungyeol jealous and subsequently confess his feelings had seemed like the best idea. (Maybe Myungsoo's seen too many romantic comedies.)

Woohyun's warm hand on top of his own pulls Myungsoo from his thoughts. He looks over at the other man in surprise, sitting up straighter in his seat. "Don't look now," Woohyun says quietly as he intertwines his fingers with Myungsoo's, "but Sungyeol hasn't stopped staring at us since we sat down."

Of course, the first thing Myungsoo does is turn his head. Sungyeol is behind the counter in his apron, the white button-down he has on rolled up to his elbows. Their eyes meet for a second before Sungyeol looks away. Myungsoo adds meeting Woohyun at Sungyeol's family's café to the growing list of ideas he should've thought through fully.

"I said don't look," Woohyun hisses. His hand tightens around Myungsoo's, but the fake smile he's plastered on doesn't leave his face.

Myungsoo looks back at Woohyun guiltily. "Sorry." His eyes drop down to their connected hands then go back up to Woohyun's face. "But why are we holding hands exactly?" From the other's words before, he'd thought Woohyun wasn't on board with the plan.

"I never said I wouldn't help you. Just don't look at me when things get screwed up."

"Don't you mean 'if'?"

Woohyun only shrugs.

 

 

 

Pretending to date Woohyun actually turns out to be a lot easier than Myungsoo anticipated. They set up boundaries and agree on the types and amount of skinship to do. Woohyun is naturally flirty though he always makes sure Myungsoo isn't uncomfortable. It's a shame they aren't really together. If Myungsoo felt any romantic feelings for the other man rather than being head over heels for Sungyeol, he thinks this could be one of the sweetest relationships he's ever been in.

"Why are you single again," Myungsoo asks Woohyun. They're at Woohyun's place, watching a movie instead of being on a date like Sungyeol believes. His head is in his fake boyfriend's lap while the other is slouched on the couch.

Woohyun's eyes don't leave the TV as he shrugs. "I'm not really looking for a relationship right now."

Myungsoo snorts. "Then why did you come up to me in the club that time? I know you weren't just looking to talk."

There's a long pause before Woohyun responds. "You sound really sure of yourself for someone who's in love with his best friend."

He's obviously deflecting, trying to shift focus. Myungsoo knows he should drop the subject; it doesn't seem to be something Woohyun wants to talk about. But Myungsoo's curiosity tends to get the better of him. Pulling himself up, he sits cross-legged on the couch facing the other man. "It's in my nature to be confident. It helps with seduction." Woohyun arches an eyebrow, though he doesn't say anything. They both know Myungsoo isn't as successful an incubus as his face suggests. "That's not the point," Myungsoo says. He doesn't need to be reminded of why he'd reached this moment in his life. "Why don't you want a relationship? Are you just not interested? Or did you get your heart broken and now you're afraid to love again?"

Woohyun finally cracks a smile as he looks away from the TV. "I'm not the lead in a romantic drama. I don't have some sad backstory. It's just nice to be alone right now."

"Well, if it means anything to you, I think you're a great boyfriend. Even if it's pretend." Myungsoo rests his arm on the back of the couch and props his head on his hand. At first he'd been unsure if pushing Woohyun would turn out to be a good idea. If it was a sore subject, there was a chance the other might lash out. But now Myungsoo thinks Woohyun just doesn't open up easily. As outgoing and friendly as he is, he's still guarded.

"Thanks," Woohyun smiles. Despite still being slouched in his seat, he seems more relaxed. "You're not so bad yourself. Sungyeol doesn't know what he's missing."

With a groan Myungsoo covers his face with his hands. He thinks he hears Woohyun snicker. "Don't remind me. This is such a stupid plan," he says not for the first time. Even after getting Woohyun to agree to help him, Myungsoo is still second guessing the idea. He can't help feeling like it's going to backfire on him in one way or another.

"It really is," Woohyun agrees wholeheartedly. He laughs at the betrayed look the other sends him.

"You're not supposed to agree."

"But it's true." At kicked puppy look he gets from Myungsoo, Woohyun relents. "Fine, I won't point out all the flaws in your terrible plan." He laughs again when Myungsoo punches him in the shoulder. "I'll just watch the movie. Like I was trying to before you started prying."

Myungsoo doesn't have much of an argument since Woohyun said he'll stop teasing him. He forgoes his original position to sit right next to Woohyun, his legs thrown across the other's lap. His head is resting against the back of the couch next to Woohyun's. They're both quiet as they focus on the TV again. Everything is comfortable; their positions, the space between them (or lack thereof), even the silence. Woohyun's hands are on Myungsoo's thighs, kind of holding them in place and kind of just there for no specific reason. Myungsoo can feel the warmth of them through his jeans.

At some point his attention strays from the movie to the man next to him. With the light from the TV screen as well as a lone lamp illuminating the room, he traces the line of Woohyun's profile with his eyes. He already knew Woohyun was handsome—it's pretty hard to miss—but it feels like he's actually noticing for the first time. It's tempting to reach out and touch his face, but Myungsoo resists. They haven't known each other long enough for him to be as weird as he usually is with Sungyeol. That decision doesn't seem to matter, though, as Woohyun turns his head to look at Myungsoo. His eyebrows are raised in a silent question. Shaking his head, Myungsoo looks back at the TV. After a moment, he feels Woohyun look away and he releases the breath he didn't realize he'd been holding. If he didn't know better, he'd think he was embarrassed to be caught staring.

By the time the movie is over, Woohyun's head is on Myungsoo's shoulder. It almost feels rude to wake him. But it's not like they can spend the night like this. Myungsoo shakes the other man's shoulder gently to coax him awake, but all he gets is Woohyun's arms slipping around his waist as he makes himself more comfortable. "Woohyun," Myungsoo calls to him softly. "Woohyun, you can't sleep here."

"It's my couch," he sends back in a sleepy mumble.

Myungsoo can't help smiling. Woohyun's just as cute as Sungyeol is when he's tired. "You still shouldn't sleep here," he tries again. "The movie's over and I figured it was time for me to leave. You have to get off of me first, though."

"Just stay here tonight."

"You're just saying that because you don't want to move." Woohyun lets out a sleepy groan that almost sounds like he's agreeing. Myungsoo sighs, about ready to resign himself with spending the night on Woohyun's couch. "How about you let me go and then you can sleep here if you want?"

Woohyun grumbles something Myungsoo doesn't catch before finally loosening his hold. As Myungsoo starts to stand up, Woohyun stops him with a hand on his shoulder. "I meant it," the older man says softly. His voice is serious and void of any sign of sleep. "You can spend the night here. If you want." He's staring down at his lap when Myungsoo looks back at him. Like he's afraid to see Myungsoo's reaction.

Even as Myungsoo thinks that's ridiculous, his heart speeds up in his chest. It's excitement, he's sure, that's sending a strange fluttering through his stomach and warming up his cheeks. He shouldn't be feeling like this about Woohyun. About being with him. They're just friends.

But Myungsoo doesn't think he's imagining the look in Woohyun's eyes when he leans closer. He seems a bit scared but just as excited. In the second before their lips meet Myungsoo wonders if this is a good idea. This is crossing a line that probably shouldn't be crossed between friends. Yet, when they finally kiss, he stops thinking completely. Somehow something he'd never given any thought to feels like the best idea he’s ever come up with. Woohyun kisses him gently at first, his lips soft and warm against Myungsoo’s. His hands slip back around Myungsoo’s waist and the other man all but melts into the touch. If he could think of anything else besides Woohyun (and his hands and his mouth), Myungsoo would think that after making so many bad decisions in the past month, really, what’s one more?