Neither Truce nor War

Dracon's Pet - EunHae Bonfire 2017 Edition

 

Hyukjae managed to reach the Aerie's main castle grounds, alternately camouflaging himself against the walls and disguising himself in all manner just to reach the castle. Right now, he's dressed in the sleeveless uniform of an Eagle Knight, one he purloined from the clothesline on one of the outer barracks on this level of the Aegelous Aerie. He was careful to skirt around the upper levels of the Aerie where the Aegila roosted before he recalled the Eagle Knights also maintained barracks at that level.

It was also the same level as the main castle overlooking the whole of the Aerie. And where Donghae would likely be considering it's a Sunday.

Hyukjae had his forays into the Aerie restricted after that Throne Room incident revealed who Heechul and Donghae really were. Not to mention Hyukjae had to start participating in the war drills and army maneuvers. Most of these days he had to drag his exhausted self back into the palace, having limited time to eat, sleep or be merry.

Maybe because he still attempted to cross borders whenever he could escape his guard and his duties. But it's been days now without a sign of Donghae where Hyukjae usually finds him.

At least until last week when he overheard soldiers in his own dragon army about how the Prince of Eagles is now participating in the war in retaliation for some dragon's attempted kidnapping of the so-called Eagle Prince. It bothered Hyukjae that it roused the soldiers unknowingly in Hyukjae's defense, the soldiers insisting that no lordly dragon of theirs would do such thing, and that the Aegelous are just spreading rumors to further justify the war.

Hyukjae was tempted to come clean. Instead, he knew he needed to find Donghae and talk to him.

Hyukjae crossed the bailey and entered the main castle gates behind a couple of Eagle Knights, adapting their swagger as he made his way into the castle pretending as if he had urgent business. The guards merely looked him over but none stopped him.

At least until he was in the courtyard and he himself turned around to stop and kneel at Prince Donghae's presence, the same way the other people in the courtyard did.

Donghae didn't miss a step as he espied the blond Eagle Knight sporting Hyukjae's markings on his left shoulder, vaguely hearing the head guard in his retinue commanding "As you were" before the people stood up and went about their way.

Donghae's breath weirdly hitched as the blond stood up, only a little taller than Donghae, but it was that sharp jaw and beautiful profile that fascinated him.

"I will be heading to the library now," he informed nobody in particular before he stood infront of the blond Eagle Knight, trying not to get distracted at the plump lips, prominent nose, sharp pale cheekbones and dark brown eyes hidden behind monolids. The knight was being respectful not looking Donghae in the eyes.

"You," Donghae addressed Hyukjae, startling Hyukjae to looking up. "You have a message for me, I believe?" Donghae continued, even as he tried maintaining a princely composure in the light of those sparkling brown eyes. "Come with me to the library, then, make yourself useful." He pivoted on his heels as he made his way to the library, not even looking back to see if Hyukjae followed him or not.


#

 

Donghae waited until he was well inside the library before throwing out only a curt command, "Close the doors." As soon as he heard the doors being dutifully closed, Donghae comically shed all pretense at being princely as he suddenly rushed back to the bar the door and put his back to it as added measure.

Hyukjae blinked as Donghae whisper-shouted at him, "What are you doing here?! Are you crazy?!"

"You know who I am?" Hyukjae whispered back, pointing at himself. He finally looked closely at Donghae - brown hair currently tied up in a man-bun, violet ribbons trailing behind him, all dressed up in various shades of violet. So he wasn't wrong about all his Aegelous "friends" sharing the same boyish good looks, now that his human eyesight settled on Donghae.

Donghae exasperatedly gripped at Hyukjae's left arm to show the markings. "Hyukjae, of course I know who you are!" he said before releasing Hyukjae's arm in a huff.

Huh, Hyukjae thought. He never really did consider his birthmark as something special, belatedly recalling he has it even in his dragon skin. He rubbed the patch of skin where Donghae had grabbed, not noticing the silent grumble at the pit of his stomach as he was silently contemplating what that meant, about Donghae knowing who he is and had known all those days he'd "kidnapped" the Prince. Which is why he's here in the first place. "I haven't seen you the past days. Is everything alright with you?"

Donghae shivered, delaying answering by heaving himself off the door and heading to one of the library windows, making sure he was visible to guards stationed at the ramparts. It was also to avoid getting drawn into the concentrated look Hyukjae threw his way.

He sighed before turning back to face Hyukjae. "T'al Hasa and I have standing orders to kill you, as the Ruby Dracon, on sight. So you really shouldn't be here." He looked most apologetic, a sight that suddenly tugged at Hyukjae's heartstrings. Or maybe it was just the way the light from the window wrapped Donghae's form in an ethereal halo.

"I'll worry about that tomorrow - today's still a Sunday, Commander," came back the haughty reply.

"What, you finally realized I'm one and the same person?" Donghae asked indignantly as Hyukjae made a dig about their color-coded days and Donghae's various titles.

"Yeah, that really wasn't funny, Prince," Hyukjae whined even as he emphasized Donghae's title again. "Were you laughing the whole time, Donghae?"

He didn't, but he did laugh now. "I'm sorry," Donghae giggled in between, making Hyukjae wanting to sneeze again as his skin tingled with the sound. "I had wanted to tell you from the start, but it was fun hearing you tell all the other mes something about me." Hyukjae had taken to regaling Donghae's other personas about how his day went with Donghae's other personas.

Hyukjae's pale face blushed a becoming shade of pink that Donghae found fascinating. He just wished they weren't talking like this under dire circumstances.

"You really need to go, Hyukjae. I have no power over what happens if the High Dracon gets captured inside the Aerie." He meaningfully looked into those dark brown eyes.

Almost as if Donghae's words signaled an omen, bells tolled an alarm throughout the Aerie. The pair froze, staring at each other.

"Ack, it's the dragon alarm! Someone must have seen you head to the castle," Donghae groused, wondering how he could hide Hyukjae away, before he remembered the High Dracon can fly.

Hyukjae thought the same, too, already feeling his flight or fight response triggering with the alarm. Good thing then that Aerie's general architecture took into consideration giant flying beasts so the library's windows are wide and high enough to accommodate a dragon. Good thing also that Hyukjae's Amethyst Dracon form is the smallest.

"Come on," Donghae suddenly grabbed Hyukjae by the arm before he could transform. Hyukjae was about to balk when they headed somewhere at the back of the library where a locked room was located. He did not care to spend time hidden locked away just so he could escape the clutches of Donghae's army.

"The windows back here open to the cliff side of the Aerie, and no one's taken to manning that side of the castle," Donghae started explaining as he managed to open what seemed like more storeroom for various tomes, the musty air circulating. He didn't waste time heading to one of the windows, this one narrower compared to the bigger ones in the main library.

Hyukjae merely watched as Donghae found keys and a sturdy crate to stand on to reach the lock shutting the window in place.

"I know this one's narrower, but you can transform in midair, right?" Donghae momentarily glanced down at Hyukjae even as he struggled with the lock and keys.

Which wasn't long now, by Hyukjae's reckoning, so he climbed up the crate, too, and crowded out Donghae, ignoring the Prince's yelp as he was trapped between Hyukjae and the window ledge. Donghae quieted though when Hyukjae reached up and reduced the lock to smithereens with just the blow of a palm. Then Donghae stared fascinated at the purple scales that started to replace Hyukjae's human skin, completely oblivious to the window creaking open. Or that Hyukjae was holding Donghae flush against him.

"Are we at war, Donghae?" The voice by his ear jarred Donghae out of the trance, only to have his stare glued on to the plump red lips impossibly close to his view.

The tingling had both reached Hyukjae's chest and head, and with his impending transformation, he finally recognized the impetus that made him risk going over the border.

"No," came the soft answer. "I'd end it sooner, if I have anything to do about it." Riveted as he was with those lips or that face, Donghae was still a proper prince to recognize a loaded question which required a serious and sincere answer.

He didn't protest though, at the lips that descended on his, a hot tongue ultimately invading his mouth in a kiss that made Donghae want to tear himself out of his suddenly stifling clothes. He hadn't had much experience with kissing but this one made him want to gnaw at those plump lips, like forever. He might have moaned once or twice there, his arms flinging about Hyukjae's neck as his suddenly jelly-like knees were about to give out on him. His knees are fine though, he just needed an excuse to tighten his hold on Hyukjae and deepen the kiss. He might have also protested when Hyukjae ended the kiss and released him, then started to climb up the window ledge.

"Then wait for me. I'll come for you." Mate.

And then Hyukjae was gone, nimbly leaping down from the ledge. Donghae hurriedly looked over the ledge, unsure if the thunder in his heart and ears were due to the kiss or fright with Hyukjae's leap. He felt out of sorts as he finally saw a purple dragon's form dart through the forest cover at the foot of the cliff.

He was equal parts relieved, insanely happy, then horrified at what had transpired. He had a sinking feeling he was going to pay for it big time.

 


__________________

© higashinoumi (http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1108258), 2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to higashinoumi (http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1108258) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.