That Kim Seokjin

The Loser's Girl

 

Present

 

Staring outside the window, Yaerin was not looking anywhere. It was simply a blank stare as her mind was running wild, reminiscing. A few high school boys in uniform, who were sitting in front of her table, continuously glancing at her. Her short hair revealed her fair and delicate neck. Her adorable nose complemented her lips and eyes. Yaerin was not the prettiest girl in that café, but she was attractive enough to catch anyone’s eyes.

“Welcome to Army Café!” The waiter cheerfully greeted new customers that entered their café. His voice was loud enough to distract Yaerin from her deep thoughts and she shifted her eyes to the entrance glass door. The group of boys that was busy checking on her immediately hung their head lower.

 

There was one new customer, panting hard near to the entrance while gazing at her. Their eyes met. Slowly, a curve was formed on Yaerin’s face as her eyes landed on him.

“Seokjin!” She called him out happily, waving her hand to him.

.   .   .   .   .

Two years ago

 

“Seokjin!” A group of boys shouted his name as loud as they could and let their laughters burst a few seconds later after calling out their friend’s name. Other customers in the café glanced at them. Some of the customers were clearly irritated with the boys’ silly behavior and rolled their eyes silently.

 

Yaerin was reading her Psychology notes with her earphone stuck in her both ears. However, the boys’ voices overwhelmed the highest volume of the song she was listening. She released a small sigh and put down her book on the table. The earplug was removed from her pinna and she kept it in her bag.

“Yaerin-ah,” one of her classmates braced up herself to speak, “I’m sorry that it turns out like this.” She bit her bottom lip and avoided Yaerin’s eyes. “I thought it would be peaceful here.”

The other girl nodded eagerly. “Yes, yes!” she said, “the boys from Kyunghan High don’t always come here. I swear! We don’t know why today.” And she, too refused to look Yaerin into her eyes.
 

Staring at both of her classmates who were looking down, as if she was verbally harrassing them, tickled her heart. Yaerin chuckled and shook her head in amusement. “Yah.” Both of the girls lifted their chin up. Finally, their gazes were locked on each other. “I don’t mind. Seriously,” she convinced them, “it is just, I’m not really comfortable to study in a café. And because we attend all-girl school, I can’t really handle guys’ loudness. I appreciate silence while studying.” She smiled widely and they could ease themselves. “I would like to suggest us to study in the library next time. Be it in the public library or our school library. You girls choose!”

“Yes! I agree. Next time, we will study in the library.” They both seemed delighted with the deal.

Yaerin blinked and cleared awkwardly. She has decided not to stay in that café anymore. Neither the place was packed nor it was suffocating, she simply could not breathe in there. “Girls. Do you mind if I go back home now? I promise to teach you both tomorrow evening. During our yaja.”

They both nodded, looking puzzled. “Sure, Yaerin-ah. See you tomorrow!”

 

She grabbed her bag and book on the table, then straightaway stormed out of the café. The owner thanked her, however the boys’ laughters have made other sounds inaudible. Included, the line of gratitude from the owner. As she stepped out of the Army Café, living the glass door shut, the world around her became peaceful. She sighed in relief, then started walking to the bus stop. There was nobody and she assumed the whole seat as hers. She pat the back of her uniform skirt and sat while waiting for the bus. Yaerin looked around before glancing at the watch on her wrist. 20 minutes till the next bus, she pouted. Because time was precious, Yaerin took out her notes and fed her ears with some good R&B songs. As usual, the volume would reach the highest.

 

This is not that hard, she whispered to herself and flipped to the next page. She enjoyed Psychology very much. From the countless theories to the various applications. Everything made sense in Psychology. Why people cheat in love affairs? Refer to Maslow’s theory. Why do we have sets of problems in our lives? Refer to Erikson’s theory. Yaerin’s smile became wider. And I am dealing with the Sixth stage, according to Erikson’s Psychosocial Development theory which is…

 

“NO WAY! Who goes back home now is a loser.” And the haunting group of laughters greeted her ears again.

 

The smile on her face faded in a blink of an eye. She took a quick glimpse of those boys who were several steps away from her and moved towards the end of the seat. Keeping safe distance from them.

 

“Oh, come on! We will have yaja two hours from now.” One of them protested and sat angrily at the other end of the seat. “My mom cooked western dishes today. I wanna go home and eat before my fatty brother gobbles everything.”

“Ehhh!” The boys punched their sulking friend lightly, comforting him. “Then we all go to your house!” They chorused together and laughed as if it was the most hilarious joke ever. The boy did not seem to disagree with the idea of bringing his friends back home. There were five boys in the same school uniform altogether which suggested that they were all schoolmates.

One of the boys took a seat next to his friend who was already sitting. “Yah, move. I want to sit as well.”

 

And their distance with the silent flower was decreasing. Centimeter by centimeter. At that moment, Yaerin could not focus on her notes anymore and closed her book. She reached for her bag which was placed next to her to put her book in it and later, stood up, giving her back to the boys. However, something went wrong. Her bag was stuck when she grabbed it. She quickly looked at her bag and her eyes widened.

 

One of them was sitting on her bag’s strap.

The guy was looking at the other way. “Where the heck is Seokjin?” he asked the others.

“Buy some drinks, I guess,” one of them replied, “he didn’t get to order anything just now in the café.”

He nodded. “Yeah. He was late just-”

 

Yaerin braced up herself, “excuse me.”

And the five of them were now staring at her. She skimmed quickly each of their faces before returning her gaze towards the guy who sat on her bag’s strap. “I’m sorry but you sit on my…” she purposely did not finish her words and move her eyes towards her bag’s strap. The guy followed her eyes and less than a second, he stood up.

 

“Jeoseonghamnida (I'm sorry).” He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly and sometimes, glanced at Yaerin secretly.

Yaerin stood up and bowed a little. “It’s okay.”

“Wuuuu. So pretty,” one of them spontaneously voiced out. Then, he got small beatings from the rest.

“Yah! Shut your big mouth. She’s from Yonwei Girl High.”

Hearing their loud whispers, Yaerin could not see herself waiting for the bus, even if it were for 30 seconds. It was extremely uncomfortable. She forced a smile before turning around, ready to walk home. The next stop was very far away and already near to her residence. Huh, Yaerin gritted her teeth.

 

“YAH, PABO!”

 

Her pace died. She stopped abruptly and slowly turned around, facing those boys. Her forehead furrowed in confusion. However, the boys were looking at the other way with their back directed to her.

 

“Yah, Seokjin!” They shouted all at once and waved to their friend who was called Seokjin.

“We’re going to my house. Come on!”

Seokjin shook his head while sighing. “Yah! Our yaja’s time has changed. It’s going to start in 30 minutes time.” Seokjin rubbed his neck in annoyance.

“What?!”

“Damn it, ssem!”

“Come on. We can’t be late. It’s Baldy ssem’s turn to guide us today.”

 

And they all followed the Seokjin guy, going back to school. As fast as lightning, the bus stop was quiet and Yaerin was left dumbfounded. However, she felt quite relief that she did not need to walk home. Returning to her spot on the seat, at the bus stop, she settled down there and took out her notebook. Thanks Seokjin, whoever you are. Though I didn’t see you. She giggled when stumbled across her own doodles in the notebook.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Heyyyoooo there! Here's the first chapter. OMG it took me so long to post because I was hesitating so much.
of course I would hesitate. I left AFF for... years. T-T to the point I forgot how I love writing.
But now, I'm baaaaack! So how's the first chappie? Don't forget to leave comments. I love comments! T-T
Thanks for reading and love chu <3