The Rebel and the Renegade | Dahyun x Chaeyoung (Highschool!AU)

Girls Like Girls Like Girls

 

“Miss Son, you’re late,” the teacher chastised as the girl in question stepped into the classroom. She was donned in a plain white shirt and short shorts, her huge varsity jacket hanging on her small frame. Her cropped auburn hair was disheveled and she ran a hand through it, taming the locks enough so that they settled, the ends curling against her jaw.

“My apologies, seonsaeng-nim. I had to run a few extra laps after practice since we have a meet coming up,” Chaeyoung explained with an apologetic bow.

“Well I suggest you don’t end up in detention again if you wish to be allowed to participate in that meet,” the teacher advised. Chaeyoung nodded, bowing again before shuffling to take a seat, all of which were empty save for one. “Alright you two. I have to step out for a moment and I’m trusting you to behave. Remember this is detention. No phones, no talking, no leaving. Got it? Good.”

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t the school’s beloved track star,” a voice said the minute the teacher was out of the room. Chaeyoung looked up at the girl, clad in a black pullover and plaid skirt, suspenders hanging at her sides. The girl had her arms crossed and was glaring at Chaeyoung from her perch atop one of the other desks. “What brings Little Miss Perfect to a place like detention?”

“You think you’re so badass, don’t you?” Chaeyoung retorted, a smirk on her face.

“Um, I’m kind of the school’s rebel. So yeah, I’d say I’m pretty damn badass.” Chaeyoung chuckled in reply.

“You’re cute, Dahyun, thinking that being a rebel and being a badass are the same thing. They’re not.”

“Oh please. What would you know, Princess?”

“Considering I’m about double the amount of badass that you are, I’d say I know quite a bit.”

“Badass? You? Ha! That’s rich.”

“Do you remember that time last year when someone painted the school’s statue but they were never found? Or a couple of months ago when there was an issue with the power and we all got to go home early because of it, but there seemed not to have been a problem at all and no one understood what had gone wrong? Yeah well, you’re welcome.”

“You really expect me to believe that you did any of that?”

“You can believe whatever the hell you want, but it’s the truth. I’ve done a lot of things you don’t have the guts to do.”

“Oh yeah? Then how come you’ve never gotten into any trouble?”

“Because I actually know what I’m doing. Getting caught is no fun. It’s all about the thrill of getting away with it.”

“Tell me then. If you’re some incredible delinquent that never gets caught, why are you sitting in detention right now?”

“Simple.” Chaeyoung got out of her seat, turning to look at Dahyun. “I wanted to get caught.”

“I thought you said you liked getting away with it. Why would you purposely get in trouble?”

“I normally wouldn’t have gone through all the trouble. But I heard my favorite rebel would be here and I couldn’t resist.” Chaeyoung had been moving closer to Dahyun as she spoke, and the other girl suddenly felt flustered and uncomfortable under the shorter girl’s intense gaze. Dahyun slid off of the desk she was sitting on, stumbling back a few steps as Chaeyoung continued her approach. The younger girl only stopped when Dahyun nearly fell back in her frantic scramble to keep space between them. Chaeyoung paused, tilting her head as she looked at Dahyun in silence for a moment. Then she let out a chuckle before turning around, allowing Dahyun to let out an internal sigh of relief. “Let’s go, dork.”

“Go? Go where?” Dahyun demanded, watching as Chaeyoung scooped up her backpack from the floor.

“Away from here,” Chaeyoung answered as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. She didn’t even spare Dahyun a glance as she made her way over to the window, casually sliding the glass aside.

“What the hell are you doing?!”

“Leaving. Didn’t I make that clear?”

“There’s a door for a reason you know.”

“Too predictable. We’d be caught for sure. This is quicker. Easier. Cleaner. And way more fun.” Chaeyoung glanced over her shoulder. “Any more concerns, smart-?”

“We’re on the third floor,” Dahyun answered almost automatically. Chaeyoung rolled her eyes.

“It’s not that high and there’s piping you can climb.” A smirk took over the younger girl’s features as a thought crossed her mind. “You’re not scared, are you?”

“I don’t do scared,” Dahyun bit back defiantly, clenching her fists by her side.

“Good. Then let’s go.” Without even hesitating, Chaeyoung let her bag drop out the window before climbing out after it. Dahyun grabbed her things before rushing to the window, just in time to see Chaeyoung detach herself from the piping and pick up her bag. The younger girl looked up, shielding her eyes from the afternoon sun. “Are you coming or what?”

“Um, did I mention how bad I am at climbing things… and that, uh… heights make me nervous?” Dayhun said, unable to meet Chaeyoung’s gaze.

“Hey, it’s okay to be unsure. Just go slow. I’ll be right here.” For the first time, Chaeyoung spoke sweetly and genuinely, no trace of her previous bravado present. It was somehow assuring enough for Dahyun to drop her bag and begin the climb down.

She did as Chaeyoung had instructed, going slow and being very careful with her movements. Every now and then, the younger girl would provide words of encouragement or advice on where she should place her feet or hands. It was unexpected that the girl would suddenly be so thoughtful, and it made Dahyun confused. She was so focused on her thoughts that her foot slipped and she lost her hold on the pipe. Thankfully, she had already practically reached the ground, but that didn’t stop her from stumbling back, clearly off balance. She felt arms circle her from the back, hands clasping her forearms to steady her and keep her from falling.

“I’ve got you. I told you I’d be right here,” Chaeyoung’s soft voice whispered, way too close to Dahyun’s ear for her liking. The older girl lurched away, her cheeks flushed a bright pink.

“Th-thanks but I don’t need your help,” Dahyun snapped, cursing herself for stuttering. Chaeyoung shrugged, holding out Dayhun’s bag.

“Fine, suit yourself. Next time I’ll let you fall.” There it was again. That cold, nonchalant demeanor Chaeyoung had. Once again confused, Dahyun snatched her bag from Chaeyoung’s small hand, not bothering her thank her. Without another word, the young athlete turned and began walking away.

“Hey! Where are you going?” Dahyun called after her.

“Anywhere but here,” the short girl answered without stopping or turning around. For a moment, Dahyun wondered what had been the point of tagging along if she was just going to be ditched. But then she heard Chaeyoung’s voice again. “Are you coming or are you just gonna stand there like an idiot?”

***

“Why are we at a diner?” Dahyun demanded, looking skeptical as she followed Chaeyoung to a booth.

“Because I’m hungry and I’m sure you are too,” Chaeyoung answered nonchalantly, taking a seat and picking up a menu. Dahyun was about to protest but her stomach chimed in, grumbling loudly. Chaeyoung raised her eyebrows from behind the menu, not looking up. “That’s what I thought.”

“Whatever,” Dahyun mumbled, picking up her own menu.

“See anything you like?” Chaeyoung asked suddenly. She placed her menu down, resting her chin in her palm as she watched Dahyun.

“Actually, I’m not really that hungry. Maybe I’ll just have a drink or something.” Her stomach was quick to make noise again, refuting her obvious lie. Chaeyoung burst into laughter, unable to contain herself.

“You stomach doesn’t seem to agree with you. Why don’t you want to eat?”

“I don’t… I didn’t bring any money, okay?”

“Is that what you’re worried about? Gosh, Dahyun. Did you really think I’d bring you here and not pay for your food?”

“You’re not paying for me.”

“Sure I am. How can I expect you to go on a second date with me if I don’t pay for the first?”

“Wait, wh-what?” But Chaeyoung didn’t answer, too busy ordering for the both of them. When the waitress walked away and Chaeyoung turned back around, Dahyun was giving her a strange look.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” the younger girl asked. It wasn’t harsh as Dahyun expected it to be though. It was playful and teasing, Chaeyoung’s lips quirking up in a cute smile that revealed her dimple.

“N-nothing. Sorry,” Dahyun stammered, dropping her gaze to the table.

“If I had known you were this easy to fluster, I would have approached you a lot sooner,” Chaeyoung mused, reaching across the table to poke Dahyun’s shoulder. “What’s the matter, Rebel? Are you too cool to talk to me now?”

“Shut up, Renegade,” Dahyun quipped, unable to hold back her smile.

“Ooh, Renegade. I like that.”

“Oh, great. Now I’ve given you an even bigger head than you already had.”

“Watch it. The owner of this big head is paying for your food. Don’t piss me off.”

“Yeah? What are you gonna do about it?” Chaeyoung pretended to think for a moment.

“If you behave, I’ll buy you ice cream after,” the short girl proposed. Dahyun’s eyes immediately lit up.

“Deal!”

***

“Chocolate, how predictable,” Chaeyoung teased as the two girls exited the ice cream shop, cones in hand.

“There’s nothing wrong with liking chocolate,” Dahyun protested. “Besides, it’s a much better flavor than strawberry.”

“No way. Strawberry is ultimate!” Chaeyoung countered. Both girls giggled at their own stupidity. Then there was a pause while they quickly finished their treats.

“You know, you didn’t have to pay for my food,” Dahyun finally said, breaking the silence.

“I don’t have to walk you home either but I’m doing it anyway,” Chaeyoung pointed out.

“But why?”

“I already told you. In order for there to be a second date, I have to make sure the first is worthwhile.”

“Do you always have to joke?”

“Why says I’m joking?” Dahyun felt her cheeks warm at the seriousness in Chaeyoung’s voice. Silence came over them again, until Chaeyoung looked over and asked, “Dahyun, are you cold?”

“What?” Dahyun asked, blinking in confusion.

“You’re shivering.” Before Dahyun could come up with a response, Chaeyoung had already shrugged off her varsity jacket and placed it on Dahyun’s shoulders.

“Oh, uh, th-thank you but, um, w-won’t you get cold?” Dahyun stuttered. Chaeyoung shrugged.

“I’ll be fine as long as you are.”

***

“Thank you again. For everything,” Dahyun whispered as they came to a stop in front of her house.

“Really, the pleasure is all mine. I thoroughly enjoyed getting the opportunity to mess with you,” Chaeyoung replied, that adorable smile lighting up her childish face.

“Whatever.” Dahyun rolled her eyes. She gently shoved Chaeyoung away, smiling involuntarily. “Now go home before I call the cops and tell them you’re stalking me.”

“Goodnight, Dahyun.” Chaeyoung turned and started walking away, only stopping when the older girl’s voice rang out.

“Chaeyoung, wait! Your jacket!”

“Keep it,” Chaeyoung said. She smiled at Dahyun over her shoulder. “It’ll give me an excuse to see you again.”

And as she watched the short girl disappear into the distance, Dayhun clutched the jacket tighter around herself, a smile gracing her beautiful face.


Ah, my sweet, sweet Dubchaeng <3 I hope I did them justice! I know in real life neither of them are really all that rebellious or anything, but I just thought this was cute. I hope it was enjoyable!

Until next time!

~unsungpoet ^-^