Welcome to Camp

What Happens Here

"Beep beep beep beep"  the sound of a small alarm clock cuts through the air. Nayeon slams her hand down on the contraption, cursing it for disturbing her rest. It's early, too early. The sky is still dark, the air still. The only sounds to be heard are the chirps of crickets and the occasional hoot of an owl. Nayeon kicks herself for staying out so late with Momo, though she doesn't regret it at all.  She hears Sana stirring across the room and knows she should be getting up, but decides to play the dangerous game of resting her eyes for "just a few more minutes". Dressed in fuzzy pink pajamas, Sana makes her way across the room to Nayeon's bed. She crouches down beside her, getting close enough to feel her warm breath. "Nayeon-ie" she whispers. Nayeon screams, causing Sana to do the same. Sana falls back then starts to laugh at herself. 

"Sana, what are you doing?" Nayeon asks clutching her chest as she sits up. 

"I was seeing if you were awake." Sana pulls herself up, then sits next to Nayeon. "Your alarm went off, but you didn't move at all after that."

"Ah, seriously. Well, I'm up now." 

Sana wrapped her arms around Nayeon, "I'm sorry." She leaned her head on Nayeon's shoulder. 

"Are you curious to see who the new lead instructor will be?" Sana asks.

"I don't know," Nayeon says through a yawn. "but I'm really hoping she's as nice as Joohyun."

"I hope she's as pretty as Joohyun."

Nayeon glances over at the clock. 5:45. "Hey, we should probably be leaving soon. We have to meet at the hall by 6, and I really don't want to face Jihyo's wrath this early in the morning."

Nayeon let's Sana shower first, giving herself more time to rest before the day is started. She lies back down on her back and grabs her phone which sat on the nightsand. It seemed pointless as she really didn't have any service out in the middle of the woods. "They should at least give us wi-fi."  she thinks as she stares at her lock screen. She unlocks the device and opens her gallery, swiping through old pictures, smiling at old memories. That is until she comes across one of her and her ex, Jeongyeon. An all too familiar knot forms in her stomach. It had been months since they had broken up, but she couldn't bring herself to delete all of the pictures, this one especially. It was taken around Christmas, just before they had dinner with Nayeon's family. What she once considered the happiest day of her life was now one of her worst memories. She taps the trash icon, her thumb dancing between the "yes" and "no" option when prompted about deleting the photo. Before she can make a decision, Sana exits the bathroom. 

"These outfits are the worst!" Sana whines. She wasn't wrong. Every instructor wore a bright orange polo shirt and pleated khaki shorts. Nayeon hated the garbs just as much as Sana. Nayeon chuckled at the sight of Sana pouting while looking herself over. She places her phone back on the table. She stands and stretches.

"It's not that bad" Nayeon says, trying to provide a bit of comfort. It is to no avail as Sana continues to pout. Nayeon checks the time once more. It's 5:55 and she wasn't even dressed yet. With little time to waste, Nayeon quickly showers and readies herself. She gets dressed in the same terrible outfit, and looks herself over in the mirror. "Okay, it is that bad." she thinks and jets out the door. They both leave the room in a rush heading toward the dining hall.


They reach the dining hall and are immediately greeted with the tantalizing scents of breakfast. A buffet lines the left wall of the room, with everything from rice and kimchi to an assorted range of pastries. The food was arguably the best part of the camp. Nayeon scans the room in search of Jihyo. She didn't want to be caught straggling in late, but luckily she was busy in the far corner of the room talking with Jaebum. She and Sana make their way over to the back of the room in front of the podium. The chairs are still arranged in the rows from the day before. The other instructors are seated and chatting with each other. They look around for empty chairs, and take whichever seats they can find. 

After a few minutes, Jihyo finally takes her stand on the stage in the front of the group. 

"I hope everyone slept well," she starts "today, as you know, the new lead instructor will be arriving. I implore everyone to treat her with the same care as Joohyun. In a moment, we will be serving breakfast. A few things to note: the campers will arrive at 8 am so please be ready, you'll be arranged into groups according to your classes dancers with dancers, vocalists with vocalists and so on. Under your seats you will find the scheduling for the day. Please familiarize yourselves with it."

As everyone grabs the papers from under their seats, Jihyo contiues with her instructions. All of which Naeyon has heard before. She looks over the sheet of paper, but doesn't give it much thought. Jaebum takes the stage and talks about a few things and by the time he is done, it is time for them to eat breakfast. When they are dismissed, Sana finds Nayeon and invites her to eat with her, Momo and Mina. Ordinarily, Nayeon would sit with anyone. She had no problem making friends and knew most of the people at the camp. This year however felt different. She found that she had been less and less social after her break up with Jeongyeon. She'd dealt with break ups before, but this was the first time it had affected her this much. She had to remind herself that this summer was supposed to help her forget. Also, dining with Momo would definitely be a plus, right?

The four make their way through the buffet line grabbing anything that looks appetizing and find an empty table at the far side of the room to enjoy their meal. Momo sits directly across from Nayeon. The fluttering feeling returned to her stomach. Even in the bright orange shirt, Momo looks gorgeous. Her hair tied in the back in two ponytails.She smiles to herself. The feelings of sadness she was experiencing earlier were fading, and thoughts of the summer to come returned.

During the meal, they seemed to talk more that eat. Mostly the conversation surrounded the camp and what Momo should expect with it being her first year. Momo takes in the information, asking several questions. With everything she said, Nayeon smils a little on the inside. There was just something about Momo that made her heart race. Throughout it all however, Nayeon can not keep herself from yawning and begins to question if she could make it through the day without a nap. She takes a bite out of a her croissant. 

"Nayeon, you seem tired. Were you and Momo at the lake all night?" Sana says, seemingly out of nowhere. The question catches her off guard and she nearly chokes on  the bite of croissant. Mina, who sits beside her, pats her on the back. "You okay?" She asks. Momo looks at Sana wide eyed as is she had just told her biggest secret. 

"I'm fine." she says, sounding much more helpless than she intended to. She takes a huge gulp of water, feeling the chunk of pastry make it's way down . Nayeon feels like she could die from embarrassment. She glances up at Momo, who quickly looks away. Perfect. There aren't too many things worse than choking on a piece of bread in front of your crush. Just as Nayeon tries to think of something to say, she hears her name being called. She looks up to see Jennie across the room. She excuses herself from the table.

"Jennie, what are you doing here? I thought you were going back to New Zealand this summer" Nayeon asks as they go in for a hug.

"That's a long story. I tried calling to let you know, but your phone went straight to voicemail." 

Jennie sits back down at her table, scooting over to make room for Nayeon. "Were you just ing choking?" 

"Can we not talk about that? I was almost killed by a piece of bread." 

Jennie stifles a laugh. 

During her first year as a camp instructor she met Jennie. The two became fast friends and have been attending the camp together ever sicnce. She was the only person from camp who she kept in contact with outside of just the summer, and even though they didn't get to see each other much throughout the year, Nayeon considered her to be one of her best friends. This year, was supposed to be different however. Jennie was supposed to be travelling abroad to study for the summer. Nayeon was bummed to say the least when Jennie relayed the news to her. But now, a sense of relief washed over her. The choking comment aside, Nayeon was happier than ever to see her friend.

As Jennie finished up the last few bites of her food, Jihyo asked everyone to converge on the field outside of the dining hall and wait to be arranged into their designated groups. The volunteers rushed in to replinish the buffet for the campers who would soon be arriving. As she was throwing away her trash, Nayeon caught a glance of Somi. She wondered if would remember her and was determined to talk to her before the summer ended. 


Everyone files out of the dining hall and onto the field in front of it. The sun was up by now. The sky was a clear blue and the sound of birds chirping filled the air. It was a beautiful morning, especially out in the middle of nature where one could truly take everything in. It was still early enough where the heat had not yet descended, but it was clear that it was going to be another dreadfully hot day. Jaebum and Jihyo worked together to get everyone arranged into their respective groups. Nayeon stood with Wendy, Sugjin and Jinyoung who she had met with the day before. They each looked over their schedules and the kids who would be in their classes. Nayeon was pretty familiar with Sungjin and Jinyoung as they attended the same university. They talked to each other as they waited for further instruction. Nayeon figured it would be a good time to get to know Wendy a little better. Though she had spoken with her before, she had never taken the time to have a real conversation with her. They chatted idly and even exchanged a few jokes and before long Nayeon felt comfortable around her.

The chatter was put to a halt when Jihyo captured everyone's attention with the megaphone. She stood behind the podium, speaking as she usually does.

"Alright," she began "in just a few moments, our campers will arrive."

Yet another speech that Nayeon is all too familiar with. Something about being respectful, leading by example and things of the like. Nayeon allows her mind to wander a bit. She starts to pick at the chipping nail polish on her fingers. 

"Before they do I would like for everyone to welcome our new lead instructor, Miss Jeongyeon Yoo. She is someone who-"

Jihyo's words fade to nothing and everything seems to slow down. Against her own will, Nayeon looks up to see Jeongyeon taking her place at the podium. For a split second, they lock eyes. Even that is more than Nayeon can bear. Countless emotions begin to flood her mind as she stands in disbelief. Anger, sadness, confusion. This summer was supposed to help her forget, to help her move on. Now, there she stands, a mere few feet in front of her. 

 

A/N: Sorry this update took so long. I've been experiencing some serious writer's block. I'll try to update more often!