The Lake

What Happens Here

The sunset on the horizon, various hues of orange and blue saturated the sky. It was hard to appreciate this sort of view in the city. Nayeon returned to her dorm to see Sana hadn't yet arrived. She shrugged it off and decided to use this time to take a shower and prepare for tomorrow's activities. She turned the water on and allowed it to run for a good minute. These showers were notorious for taking forever to heat up, but what else could you expect for piping in the middle of the woods? She stuck her hand under the running water and determined it was warm enough to get in.

As the warm water ran over her, she let her mind wander. Thoughts of her ex flooded her mind, the question why ever present. Why did she leave me? Why couldn't she just tell me what was going on? Why do I still think about her every day? She tried to block them out as she turned around to allow the water to run through her hair. Slowly those thoughts got replaced with those of Momo. She knew it was dangerous to be this enthralled with someone she had just met, but she found herself unable to help it. Everything about this girl seemed perfect. 

When the water began to run cool, she knew it was time to get out. She turns the water off and exits the shower. After drying off, she gets dressed in her pajamas and leaves the bathroom. 

"Oh, Sana. I didn't hear you come in." She says, still drying her hair making her way to her bed. Sana, seemingly in a rush kicks off her shoes and begins searching through her suitcase.

"Oh yeah, I just got in." 

She continues rummaging through her suitcase, finally pulling out a small paper bag. 

"We're gonna go to the spot near the lake," Sana says shaking the bag in Nayeon's direction. "You wanna come?"

After being at this camp for three years, Nayeon knew exactly what this meant. The instructors would often sneak in alcohol and drink by the lake. The lake was the farthest spot from the instructors' dorms, so it was pretty easy to avoid getting caught. She had gone to the lake before, never with people she didn't know, however. 

"Who else will be there, do you know?" 

"Mina, Momo, a new girl from the art department and her friend and Sooyoung. That's the only people Mina told me."

"Mina never struck me as the rebellious type." Nayeon laughed. 

"Oh trust me, she's not. The closest Mina will get to rebelling is entering the exit door. I think she likes the girl from the art department. That's probably the only reason she's going."

Nayeon laughs at the thought of Mina entering an exit door in a rebellious fashion. She thinks for a second. The thought of sitting alone all night was less than appealing. Besides, the lake might be a good distraction from all of the thoughts that were swarming in her head. Nayeon dressed back in her clothes, grabbed a flashlight and the two headed off into the night. 

It was just after 9:30. The sun had set completely and it was pitch dark outside, the flashlight only illuminating a few steps ahead of them. Their first stop is Momo's room. They sneak around to the back window, being as quiet as possible. Jihyo was a very sweet and caring person, but she certainly didn't mess around when it came to the rules. Lights out meant lights out, and it was bad news for anyone who got caught after that. 

When they approached Momo's room, Momo was waiting outside to greet them. Sana ran ahead locking Momo in another tight embrace. Nayeon trails behind, smiling at the happiness in Sana. It was somewhat comforting to see. 

"Momoring! I just can't believe you're actually here!" She says patting Momo on the top of her head. Momo laughs as she rubs Sana's back with one hand, using the other to wave at Nayeon. Nayeon waves back smiling brightly. Shortly after their little reunion, they head off into the woods toward the lake.


The lake was a good distance away from the main camp. It took them about 15 minutes to get there. As they approached it, they could see the faint glow of a light and the sound of others laughing and talking. The area was cozy, setting right beneath a small cliff formed by a larger boulder behind them. In total, it was only 9 people. They sat in a circle on logs or rocks. Some of them cuddled together on this cool summer night underneath blankets. There was a lantern that sat in the middle illuminating everyone's faces. Nayeon recognized most of them, with the exclusion of two younger looking girls. She assumed one of them must be the one Sana mentioned from the art department.

 Mina was already there, sitting quietly on a large cooler. Sana snuck up behind her wrapping her arms loosely around her neck. 

"Ah, you made it. What took you so long?" She said scooting over to make room next to her. Sana scooted close to Mina making room for Momo to sit as well. Sana pulls out a bottle of Soju from the bag and pops it open, taking a long swig. Nayeon took a seat on a rock next to the cooler. She took in the fresh air, already feeling better than she had before. The atmosphere was calm. Everyone talked, laughed and passed bottles around. Nayeon looked over at the others. Momo and Sana talked and giggled, but Mina seemed distracted. She kept glancing over at the girl who sat across from them. She was short, with short brown hair, a cute girl who seemed to encompass both coolness and complete innocence. Nayeon tapped Sana then gestured toward Mina. She laughed taking notice of Mina's continued glances.

"Is that her? That's the one you like?" Sana asks. She passes the bottle to Momo. She takes a sip, wincing at the taste.

"What? N..No. I don't like her." Mina retorts flustered 

"Awww someone has a crush." Momo says cutely. Sana joins in on teasing Mina. 

"I don't have a crush."

"Well, I might. Her friend is super cute." Sana says eyeing the monolid girl beside her.  Momo hands the bottle back to Sana who takes a large gulp before offering it to Mina. 

"Did you meet her here?" Nayeon asks

"No, actually. She's a freshman at our university. Her name is Chaeyoung. Last year her friend, Dahyun was the pianist for one of our performances. She would hang around a lot, during rehearsals. She was always drawing." Mina takes the drink, cradling it in her hands.

Momo smiles at how fondly Mina speaks of the girl.

"Dahyun, huh? If she's a pianist, that means she's good with her fingers." Sana says slyly.

"Sana!" Mina shrieks. Nayeon laughs and Momo smacks Sana on her arm.

"What? I'm just saying."

"You should go and talk to her," Nayeon says. Mina shakes her head, looking down at her feet.

"Oh, come on." Sana whines. "I'll go with you."

"You're only saying that so you can talk to her friend," Momo says accusingly. 

"No, I'm being a good friend! Talking to her friend would just be a plus." She winks at Momo then stands up. She grabs Mina by the wrist and pulls her up. "Take a sip and let's go! This is what summer is for, Mina."

Mina hands the drink to Momo and Sana drags her off, almost like a child being forced to leave a playground. Nayeon chuckles. Even though Mina was being so reluctant, it was obvious that she really wanted to talk to Chaeyoung. Nayeon watched as Sana happily approached Chaeyoung and Dahyun. She immediately sat with the two of them. Mina waved nervously but didn't seem to say much. Even still, Nayeon felt happy for her, but that feeling was soon replaced with nervousness as she came to the realization that she was alone with Momo.

They're both quiet. Nayeon takes in the scenery around her and tries to come up with something to say to Momo. 

She glances up at Momo, who seems to be in her own world. She holds the bottle by the neck, swinging it back and forth as she stares up at the sky, deep in thought.

"What's on your mind, Momo?"

"Hm? Oh, nothing really, just looking at the stars. They're so bright out here. I don't see them like this back at home. How about you?" 

Momo's gaze doesn't leave the sky as she talks to Nayeon, which doesn't bother Nayeon in the least. It gives her more than enough time to admire her beauty, lit gently by the moonlight and the soft glow of the lantern. As impossible as it seemed, Momo looked even more gorgeous in this light. Nayeon finds it hard to look away. She's forced to, however when Momo turns and they're eyes meet. 

"What's on your mind, Nayeon?" Momo asks. Nayeon quickly looks away. 

"Ahh...a lot I guess." Nayeon takes a big swig of the drink, hoping the alcohol will ease her nerves at least a little. There was something about Momo that made her heart flutter and her mind blank. She wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not, but she certainly wished it would stop. The silence was between them again, though it didn't seem to bother Momo. Luckily for Nayeon, Wendy, who sat across from them to her left, began to strum a song on her guitar.

Everyone stopped and listened, Wendy swaying back and forth as she played. The once warm breeze was growing cooler. Nayeon began to curse herself for not thinking to bring a throw. She pulled her knees to her chest and wrapped her arms around them.

"You look uncomfortable on that rock. And cold." Momo asked.

"Yeah, a little." Nayeon chuckled.

"You want to sit up here. I'm pretty sure Mina brought a blanket or something we could use."

We could use. The thought of getting cozy under a blanket with Momo was one that both scared and intrigued Nayeon. Momo rummaged through the bag that sat next to the cooler. "Leave it to Mina. She is always prepared." She says pulling out a black velvet throw. 

Momo slides over to the other side of the cooler, freeing the space for Nayeon. She pats the empty space, signaling for Nayeon to take her seat. Nayeon takes one last swig of the bottle before getting up to sit on the cooler. 

"Better?" Momo asks.

"Much."

Momo throws the blanket over the both of them, moving closer to Nayeon to make sure they were fully covered. She feels Momo's leg graze against her own and it sends chills through her body. Part of her hated that this girl had such a great effect on her. Her thoughts were racing with the possibilities of what could happen between the two of them. She attempts to distract herself by focusing on Mina and the others. 

The four of them sit huddled on a log. They seemed to be getting along well, especially Sana. She has already made herself very comfortable. She sits next to Dahyun with one arm wrapped around the girl's shoulder. Dahyun talks in an animated fashion, making the others laugh uncontrollably. Mina sits at a slight distance from Chaeyoung, staring at her all the while. Neither of them can ignore, nor acknowledge Chaeyoung's repeated glances at Mina. Nayeon finds herself surprised if a little impressed at how quickly Sana has warmed up to Dahyun. 

"It looks like Sana's getting on well," Nayeon says. 

"Oh yeah," Momo says nodding "she's like that with everyone."

"So how long have you known Sana?"

"It seems like we've known each other forever. We grew up together and met Mina in high school We've been kinda inseparable ever since. We all planned to move here together for university, but my parents didn't want me to study overseas. This is the first time we've all been together in over two years. I'm not talking too much, am I?

"Not at all!" Nayeon says shaking her head. "It's nice hearing you talk. I mean- It's nice that you are so close."

Momo giggles a bit and blushes. "Thanks."


The night passes on and they continue talking. Momo talks about her love of dance, her life back home and anything else that comes to mind. Nayeon listens intently to each and every word. One by one, the others leave the lake and head back to their rooms until it is just Momo and Nayeon. The lantern was gone now, so they were left with only the dim light of the flashlight Nayeon had. It was well past midnight, and Nayeon knew they had to be up early the following morning, but she wanted to savor every moment she had with Momo. Against her own will, Nayeon suggests they head back to their rooms. 

They head into the woods, Nayeon leading the way. When they arrive at Momo's room, they hug and say they're goodbyes. Nayeon makes her way back to her own room, entering silently careful not to wake her sleeping roommate. She takes off her shoes and lays in bed, a warm smile painted on her face. She replays the last few hours she spent with Momo. Her laugh, her smile, her voice until she finally falls asleep.