Chapter 1: Drip Drop

Like Cherry Blossoms

03 / 20 / 2015

 

Cars passed by creating light splashes from the puddles scattered on the road. The rain created a melody of its own as it hit against the pink umbrella that bobbed on top of her head.

 

“ Dang it! Why didn’t I just take the car.” Alina scowled as she walked down the sidewalk. She was heading back home after her night classes, the skies were bright and blue when she left but in a blink of an eye the same sky became blanketed by gray clouds.

 

Alina’s hands felt slippery from the rain and she suddenly lost her grip, her umbrella went sliding across the wet pavement. “Oh boy,” Alina raced to it before the wind danced the umbrella away any further. As she was picking up her umbrella a dark figure caught her eye. She moved her hair out of her face and squinted her eyes to get a better view.

 

A tall boy sitting on a rock had his head facing the ground and his black hair hung from his head. He was dripping wet, just looking at him had made Alina shiver. “ I swear I’ve seen him before, uhh what was his name again?” Alina rested her hand on her chin, a gesture of deep thought. “ Bingo! Bet it’s Chanyeol!” Alina beamed as if she accomplished something huge. She was going to run over to say hi, but she stopped in her tracks as she remembered who Chanyeol was. He was probably in his 3rd year of university, Alina guessed. There were rumours that he used to beat kids up at his high school, one of them even allegedly got a concussion because of him. Alina never talked to him before, mainly because he never talked to anyone. She had only seen him in the hallways once, the side of his jaw was bruised which he lightly rubbed with his tattooed arms.

 

Alina was just about to turn back when she saw blood drip down, hitting the pavement just like a drop of rain. Drip drop, drip drop…. A blade hung from his right hand, blood clinged to it’s side. A pale wrist taunted Alina with its five new bloody scars and uncountable faded ones. Within a flash, the blade disappeared into the depths of the drain beside the boy and the girl.

 

“Who the hell do you think you are?” the deep voice boomed much louder than the thunder.

 

“No, who do you think you are?” a voice that was more petite but held a much sharper tone, that could cut deeper than a knife. “Your body isn’t a piece of wood, you can’t just freaking carve into it with any sort of utensils. Listen up, your life is precious, it’s worth more than billions of diamonds. Learn to treat it the right way.” Alina pointed her index finger at Chanyeol’s face. Outraged by her actions, Chanyeol grasped Alina shoulders and pushed her against the tree beside them,

 

"I don't want to hear your nonsense lecture, and this is my life and some little girl like you can't tell me what to do." Chanyeol growled, in a low and dangerous tone. Alina’s green eyes filled with fear stared back at Chanyeol’s brown eyes filled with darkness. Chanyeol let out a sigh and released Alina from his grip. She run a hand through her dripping wet hair and closed her eyes for a moment, trying to compose herself.

 

“ Don’t say a word.” Alina said firmly as she wrapped her soft hands around Chanyeol’s bruised wrists. She started to walk, her flats made light splashes at every step. Chanyeol was about to protest, but Alina’s hands felt unbelievably warm against his skin. He examined the bones of her knuckles, curved in such a way they looked like little hills. His eyes moved to her nails, hidden in the edges were specks of paint. She was just another girl in Chanyeol’s blurred life, hair drenched from the rain drops, lips slightly quivering from the cold, wrists adorned by a bracelet. So why hadn’t Chanyeol broke free from her touch, why is he stuck, entranced by every bit of her.

 

The smell of wet soil had been replaced by the aroma of hot chocolate and blueberry muffins. Alina finally let go of Chanyeol’s wrist, and headed towards the counter of the cafe, creating a trail of water behind her.

 

“ Oh dear, you’re going to get sick!” exclaimed the lady behind the counter, she hurried to the back of the store and came back with a roll of paper towels.

 

“ Mrs. Johnson, you never fail to read my mind.” Alina smiled at the lovely lady in front of her. Alina stopped by at the Coffee Club every morning for her cup of caffeine. Sweet little Mrs. Johnson reminded Alina of her Grandmother back in Italy. “ Also, do you happen to have some ointment? Please and thank you.”

 

“ I always have my handy dandy box of first-aid with me all the time dear.” Mrs. Johnson handed her the ointment and Alina headed back to Chanyeol.  He was leaning against the window, staring out at clouds.

 

Alina grabbed some paper towels and reached up on her tippy-toes and started to wipe Chanyeol's messy black hair. Chanyeol snapped back to reality and snatched the paper towels away from her hand and started to dry himself.

"Leave it, you're too short." Alina gave him an annoyed look and started to dry herself off. Once she was done she opened up the ointment and squeezed a generous amount onto the tip of her finger. Chanyeol immediately hid his arms behind his back. But Alina reached over and grabbed his arm,

 

“ Just leave i-” Chanyeol was cut off when Alina abruptly shushed him. He watched her as she turned his wrist over revealing the scars. She bit her lip in concentration as she gently applied the ointment onto the fresh scars. Chanyeol hissed in pain and his eyes shifted up to look into Alina’s beautiful ones. There he saw it, traces of sympathy swimming in the lines of her eyes.

 

Sympathy, the thing he despised the most, he doesn’t need anyone looking down on him, he can overcome his own problems himself. Alina closed the cap of the ointment, and as she was about to open  Chanyeol darted out the door.

"No thank you, no goodbye? Not even a small smile? Why is he so cold, what kind of demons mislead him to hurting himself, " Alina thought herself, her brows knitted together in worry.

...

"Why is she being nice to me? Why does she give a damn about what I do? And why can I still feel the warmth of her hands under my skin, " Chanyeol asked himself as he walked down the street, avoiding anyone's gaze by keeping his head down.     

 

A/N: I so tempted to name this chapter, "Rain drop, drop top." Sorry XD. Anyways, enjoyy!!!