Elevator

The Most Beautiful Moment(s) in Life

 

“Hey, mind if I come in?” Jungkook panted, making it to the elevator just in time for the doors to reopen.

Yoongi shook his head. “I don’t own the elevator.”

Jungkook let out a weak laugh. “Right.”

He punched the button for the floor he wanted and stood in the opposite corner to Yoongi. They stood in silence, Yoongi not even looking at the younger man. It shouldn’t be awkward, they were friends after all, but it was also just that – they were friends, nothing more. Ever since Yoongi realised his feelings for him, he tended to avoid spending time with Jungkook alone.

 

A loud clanking noise followed by flickering lights snapped Yoongi out of his thoughts.

“What was that?”

The elevator made some more disconcerting noises before shuddering to a halt. The two boys remained rooted to their spots, barely breathing, hoping for the lift to just continue moving.




It didn’t.




Jungkook finally pressed the call button, the most obvious thing to do in this situation, but Yoongi was too busy trying to fight his anxiety to remember that. Why hadn’t he just taken the stairs?

 

“Hey, don’t worry. It’ll be okay, it’ll get fixed,” Jungkook reassured him, sensing Yoongi’s fear.



Yoongi thought he could manage to stay calm, to suppress the feelings of claustrophobia and panic, to ignore the fact that of all the people he could have been stuck in an elevator with, it had to be Jeon Jungkook.




But then the lights flickered out completely.




Yoongi could feel the panic getting out of control. He tried to steady his breathing but all his efforts just seemed to make it worse. He vaguely registered Jungkook saying something, but he couldn’t make out the words.

 

He hugged his knees – when had he crouched down? – closer to him. He felt Jungkook’s hands on his arms, holding him, reassuring him.

 

“Hey, hey. Yoongi. Look at me.” Yoongi could finally hear Jungkook’s voice, although it sounded muffled and far away.

 

“Look at me. It’s gonna be okay. Breathe.”

 

Jungkook had turned his phone flashlight on, illuminating the small lift, but Yoongi barely registered the light. He barely registered anything in his surroundings. His vision was spinning, spinning, spinning.



“I’m so sorry for this, please forgive me,” Jungkook whispered, before leaning in, hands cupping either side of Yoongi’s face, to kiss him. The kiss was no more than a gentle press of lips, lingering just long enough to ease Yoongi’s erratic breathing (possibly lingering just a little longer).

 

“Please forgive me,” Jungkook said, voice barely audible, “It was the only way I could think of to…”

 

Yoongi still felt shaky, but his breathing had normalised. He slowly opened his eyes – when had he closed them? – and stared up at Jungkook, unsure if what he thought just happened, actually happened.

 

“Are you okay?”

Yoongi nodded weakly.



Jungkook shrugged his backpack off and made himself comfortable, sitting cross legged in front Yoongi. No one had come to get them out yet, and the elevator showed no signs of restarting any time soon. Yoongi watched as Jungkook shuffled around in his bag before pulling out a pack of cards, because of course Jungkook carried a pack of cards around with him.

 

“Wanna see a magic trick?”

“Sure, why not,” Yoongi smiled, appreciating the distraction.

Jungkook shuffled the cards smoothly – and then not so smoothly. Yoongi couldn’t help but laugh as a few of the cards flew out of Jungkook’s hands.

“Was that the trick?”

Jungkook huffed and collected the cards again.

 

“Okay, pick a card.”

Yoongi randomly chose a card (it was the Queen of Spades) and inserted it back into the pile as Jungkook instructed. Jungkook began shuffling them again, this time without dropping them.

 

“Was this your card?” Jungkook asked, showing none other than the Queen of Spades.

“Yes! How did you do that?”

Jungkook clicked his tongue. “A magician never reveals his secrets!”

 

“Do you know any card games?” Jungkook asked.

 

The proceeded to play random card games until finally the lift was running again. Yoongi pulled Jungkook back before he could leave at his floor.

 

“I…” Yoongi started, “Just, thank you. For before.”

Jungkook flashed a toothy smile. “Don’t mention it.”

“And Jungkook?” Yoongi hesitated, playing with the hem of his shirt, before thinking screw it. He pulled Jungkook in and pecked him on the lips quickly. Jungkook leaned in again immediately after Yoongi pulled away, kissing Yoongi properly.

 

“We should probably get out of the elevator, before it breaks down again or something,” Jungkook mumbled against Yoongi’s lips.

“Yeah, that’s probably a good idea,” Yoongi laughed.