Chapter 1

You've Got It All Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s two weeks before the end of the spring semester when it hits Junhoe that his best friend is graduating.

Somehow he’s blocked out the fact that Jinhwan has been preparing for graduation for months. He’s talked about summer internships he’s applied for and jobs he’s interviewed for, but it’s just as graduation is visible on the horizon that Junhoe starts to panic.

They’ve never specifically talked about Jinhwan’s after school plans. Junhoe hasn’t paid enough attention to know where those jobs or internships are located, but he’s heard Jinhwan talking about Jeju more and more, about how much he misses his family and how he can’t wait to see them. Suddenly, Junhoe realises that he may be losing Jinhwan.

A normal person just realising that his best friend is probably moving away would most likely make an effort to spend more time with his friend, would savour the time he had left, but Junhoe is not a normal person. Junhoe is emotionally stunted. He doesn’t know how to deal with the prospect of Jinhwan leaving him, so he pulls away.

When Hanbin invites all the guys out to celebrate the last dance performance of the semester, Junhoe declines the offer of free drinks, saying he needs to stay home and study for finals. It isn’t a complete lie. Junhoe does need to study for his finals. Whether he passes or fails Calculus is entirely dependent on the outcome of his exam, but it’s still more than a week away. The professor hasn’t even passed out a study guide yet.

Junhoe uses the same excuse when Bobby mentions going for bulgogi for lunch on their free day and when Yunhyeong says they’re all going dancing Friday night. He barricades himself in his dorm room and refuses to leave no matter how tempting his friends’ suggestions sound, and all this because he doesn’t want to think about Jinhwan going home, leaving him behind.

It doesn’t work, of course. Being alone just makes it worse. He sits on his bed with his Calculus textbook in his lap and wonders how often Jinhwan will come visit him in Seoul. He wonders if Jinhwan will call him every week and whether he’ll want to skype. He wonders if Jinhwan will miss him or if he’ll make a new best friend or maybe even revive a childhood friendship and forget all about Junhoe.

The week of finals, Donghyuk sends a mass text inviting everyone to the library for a study group. Junhoe turns his phone off and hunkers down at his desk in his room. He doesn’t answer the door or leave the dorm except to take his exams. The upside of the whole avoidance thing is that Junhoe finally manages to actually study. His grade on the Calculus final is the highest in the class despite having barely been hanging by a thread all semester.

And then it’s time for graduation. Junhoe attends the ceremony and cheers even louder than Bobby when Jinhwan accepts his diploma. Everyone gathers afterward for a big group hug and photos with the graduate, and Junhoe puts on a smile even though his chest kind of hurts for reasons he can’t identify. Then Jinhwan slips off with his parents for a nice celebratory dinner. Junhoe watches Jinhwan wave goodbye and feels like it’s the last time they’re ever going to see each other.

 

Jinhwan does not miss Junhoe’s odd behavior. He’s busy. He’s always busy lately. They all are, but suddenly no one is more busy than Junhoe. Jinhwan misses his friend. He wants to spend some time with Junhoe one on one, which is why he knocks on Junhoe’s door at five minutes to nine the day after graduation.

“What do you want?” Junhoe groans from inside. “Bobby, if that’s you, you can just off until afternoon.”

“Not Bobby,” Jinhwan singsongs. “Open up, June. We have plans!”

There’s a lot of racket on the other side of the door, stumbling footsteps and clothes hangers screeching across the metal rack and the thump of furniture being moved, and then it falls silent. Jinhwan waits, and he waits. He’s about to bang on the door again when he hears, “Ah, screw you too,” and the door opens to reveal a (mostly) dressed but disheveled Junhoe. His clothes are wrinkled, his socks don’t match, and he only has one shoe on, but what makes Jinhwan giggle are the marks on Junhoe’s face from his pillow and the way his hair is all spiky on one side and plastered flat to his head on the other. It’s obvious he’d been trying to fix it, but his attempts were completely unsuccessful. “Shut up,” he grumbles, moving away from the door to let Jinhwan in. “What plans?”

“I'm kidnapping you for the day,” Jinhwan explains as he gets on all fours to dig Junhoe's other shoe out from under th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter