~Prologue~

Sunny with a Chance of Rain

There is no good start to my story. To be honest, this is probably the worst story that you’ll ever read.

 

 

“Eunbi, hurry up!” My older sister, Junni grabbed her bag and was frantically running out to the car, where our mother waited.

“I need to get my bag, unnie,” Although my sister was literally only one minute older than me, my mother forced me to call her “older sister” in Korean. It was quite stupid, but for 16 years of my life, I’ve already gotten too used to the title.

“Hurry, Yeongmin,” I called out to my brother.

“Coming, Jag-eun noona!” My brother was only a minute younger than me but our mother kept insisting that he call both my sister and me, older sister. So he calls me “small older sister” and Junni “big older sister”. My mother was always for that etiquette or something. She wants us to grow up cultured, but we can really only understand Korean more than we can speak.

If it didn’t hit you, I’m the middle child of triplets. People always are amazed by this fact, but it’s kind of trivial. I mean a lot of people have twins, my mother just managed to push out another one, but I guess even my mother is special.

My mom always took us to school because our bus always came too early and we weren’t willing to wake up that early.

We all made this special school where they have an academy program where students can test for it, but since it’s not our regular school we have a risk of being sent back to our original school. It’s kind of hard to explain, so to put it short—it’s a program for smart people and if you fail a class for the semester then you get kicked out. All three of us made it, which is pretty amazing, considering only about 100 students out of several hundred get picked. Though the test is voluntary so if everyone were to test for it, I doubt I’d get in.

My sister was singing in the car again. Nothing against my sister, she’s pretty good, but she’s not as good as she thinks. I have an ear for arts, even if I might not be good at it, I can distinguish the pitches apart. You know how people sing nice and how you want to listen to it forever? Well, my sister was more on the “Ok stop” side of singing. Like it’s good… but not good enough to where you want to hear it all the time. Of course, whenever I bring up what she can improve, she always gets mad and says I can’t say anything, as I can’t sing. Same with my brother, I can give him some criticism to make him better, but he gets mad and says I can’t play better than him. On top of all that, my mom gets into the conversation and yells at me for criticizing them when I have no talent.

Thanks, mom, can really feel the love.

I try to keep my thoughts in, but when it’s my family I really don’t have a filter so I just let it out sometimes.

“You’re a little flat,” I pointed out to my sister, “plus, stop singing in that style, it sounds terrible with this song.”

She continues to sing as she ignores me. At this point, it’s just annoying to hear her sing, so I turn to my brother and start a loud conversation.

“So you have practice today?” I asked.

“Yeah, you have cheer practice right, chugs,” My brother asked in reply. “Chugs” was just a nickname for “Jag-eun noona”. One day my brother’s American friends couldn’t pronounce it right so slowly, over time, the honorifics turned into that. Same as my sister, he calls her “Koons”, which is short for “Keun noona”.

“Eomma, pick us up at around 6 today,” I said. My mom wasn’t listening; she was too into my sister’s singing. “Mom,”

“I heard you the first time,” My mom said in a slightly miffed tone.

I wanted to talk back, but I knew better than that. My mom was really headstrong and won’t take an ounce of attitude.

Finally, we got to school. I jumped out of the car and walked into the school at a fast pace. I threw my dance bag into my locker and practically ran up the stairs to the third floor. I turned to the right and caught a glimpse of what I’ve been wanting. I subconsciously smiled to myself as I saw the face of Kim Yewon. The only reason why I look forward to every day is because of Yewon. I was fine with watching her from afar; her smile was enough for me.

 

Looking at my life, I’m quite pathetic.

Man, life just .

 

 

All of this might be confusing, and I don’t blame you. So let’s start from the very beginning.

 

As a child, I’ve been pushed to be the very best. I danced to 4 different dances: ballet, jazz, hip-hop and contemporary. I’ve played the piano for about 5 years. I took summer school to be ahead of my classmates. I went to Korean school (I was born in America so Korean wasn’t my first language). I went to Spanish classes to learn a third language in 3rd grade. I was taken away from any source of fun. I wasn’t allowed to watch TV, I wasn’t allowed to have sleepovers, I wasn’t allowed to go to my friend’s house because of studying; the only source of entertainment was practicing, studying and reading.

Of course with all of this, you’d think that now I was Beethoven mixed with Albert Einstein and Michael Jackson… well, I’m not. If anything, I became a failure. My sister is incredibly smart and can draw damn well. My brother is totally popular and athletic, and then here I am… completely average. Not bad at anything, but not good—I was the definition of a Jack-of-all-trades. It’s not like I don’t want to master anything, it’s just that I can’t. I’ve been pushed too much to the point where I’ve given up on trying. I want to try, but I just can’t. My mind just shuts off and I don’t want to try anymore. I’m pretty much useless; I’m a nobody.

 

Wow, that explains nothing at all. Maybe one day I’ll sort out my thoughts. Who knows, my mind is always kind of crazy.

 

Enough of this sorry monologue.

Let’s start from the start of this hell of a life.

My life isn’t going to be a happy-go-lucky world filled with rainbows (well to some extent I guess there is), nor is it going to be a perfect, average life.

I like to describe my day-to-day life as… sunny with a chance of rain.


AN:

I could not think of a good start for this story! But now that it's out, I'm relieved! Now the rest will be easier.

Just a story about an average girl, with a not so average life. 

Very human.

Well, I hope you enjoy this story as I continue to work on it!

Comment, subscribe, upvote! (Even if it is the first chapter....)