Mina

Hirai's Private Journal

Second Entry

 

Hey, my dear journal.

I’m sorry if I haven’t been writing these past few days. So much for the “helping myself” diary.

A lot of things had happened and I guess you could say that I was… exhausted.

I’m sure you’ve missed me huh? I did. I was struggling just earlier to find my pen for me to write tonight. Apparently it’s been hiding in the kitchen and I don’t even remember why it was there, or how it got there. Maybe I forgot that I left it there when I was solving Sudoku this morning. Anyway, that’s not important.

Yesterday, I met Mina.

 

Myoui Mina

A childhood friend who I grew up with. My bestfriend, two years ago. A very smart person. Someone who everyone deemed as “perfect”. Beautiful, knows ballet, and good at sports too. People would either love her or envy her. Even my parents treated her as their own daughter. Sometimes a thought comes to me that my parents love her more than they do of me, but it didn’t matter. I loved her too. She’s my bestfriend. Who knows a perfect girl like her won’t be satisfied with her life that she has to cheat, even if it’ll badly affect others.

We met in an English class, it wasn’t my favourite subject as it was too boring for me. She sat right next to me on our first day and just like that, we clicked. We started hanging out, we eat lunch together, do homeworks together, complain about same things and soon enough, share our secrets. We both have overachiever parents so we understood each other.

We even celebrated together when we found out that we joined the same track and field’s team at school. It was always my passion and it was hers too, maybe even more than ballet.

 

Fast forward as we reached 16, it was our Track and Field School Championship and both of us are just lucky to be qualified for the competition. Too bad we just have to compete with each other. But anyways, the winner will get to join the Interschool competition which will be held on another state. Scholarship on a prestigious university will also be given so I’m all for it.

Also, $2000 pocket money? Heck yeah.

“You ready?” she asked me with a toothy smile.

I gulped down from my bottle of water and nodded just as enthusiastically as her. “Yep, let’s go and show them what we got.”

“Girls, five minutes.” The coach entered the dressing room and reminded us, giving us a “Goodluck” hand sign before leaving.

From that time on, I don’t know exactly what went wrong, I know I’m healthy, and I know I’ve been taking care of myself. I know that I’m eating proper diet and getting enough exercise but my muscles… my damn muscles, they’re starting to hurt. I clutched at my thigh as the pain started to rise. Now’s not the time, please….

“Are you alright?” Mina came over to me, hands on my shoulder.

“Yeah I’m okay. Just a little muscle spasm. It’s alright now though, it’s okay.” I assured her, and I could see the genuine worry on her face.

She frowned. “Is it safe to go in there?”

“Yes, I’ve had this before, it’s gonna be just fine. So let’s go before Coach Navarro comes back and scold us.” We both uttered a laugh before we decided to exit the room. Not knowing it will be our last laugh together.

 

The pain stopped. I thought it was just a one-time thing so I was pretty confident of myself.

I would win this. I would win this. I kept repeating in my head. You see, we don’t belong in the higher class of the society, so being able to win this, or even just to be a part of this, is a one in a million chance. But , how I wish the pain just didn’t stopped so I could have quit the game in the first place- saving myself from all these humiliation I got.

 

I could still hear the cheers from the bleachers as I almost reached the center of the field. First place is my only goal.

Not soon enough, people’s cheers turned into horrid gasps, them watching the scene that just had to happened right-ing-now.

“Hirai!” I heard our coach yell from a distance.

“Coach… coach…” I cried helplessly. In the middle of the competition, my feet stopped working and I fell, possibly breaking a bone.

Muscles from my legs and now from my arms as well started to burn. Whenever I try to move them it just stings. I didn’t remember much of what happened after that but you can guess it. I passed out.

 

~

 

I didn’t know how much time had passed but I woke up in a hospital, legs still feeling numb but atleast I could finally move a bit. For awhile I thought the room was empty because of the silence, but I realized I  wasn’t alone at that time- my younger sister was there, sleeping on the side of my bed.

“Rika…”

She immediately jolted awake. “Unnie! You’re awake!” She said cheerfully after getting awoken by my voice, smiling widely despite the corner of her eyes appearing to be slightly red. I knew she’s just doing that to make me feel better. I knew she’s unhappy.

“Tch. Dummy.” I said as I push myself up to sit. Rika stood up to help me, her hands felt cold. “What’s up? Where is mom? You looked sick.”

She giggled in response. “You still think about something else other than yourself. Mom is at work, I told her I’ll just skip school to look after you. You haven’t been here for a day yet so don’t worry. I should call the doctor.”

“Wait! No… please don’t. I… I want to rest. I feel like I’m only gonna be more stressed if I’ll be questioned or given instructions to. Let unnie rest hm? Only a few more hours please.”

Rika nodded in understanding. She is only 11 years old, but she acts and speaks older than her age.

“Unnie? Are you okay?” She asked.

I blinked. “Hmm?” My eyes went straight into her left arm, a huge bruise was covering her white skin. Did someone hit her? Did she fell somewhere? Worried, I feebly raised my hand and reached for her arm, gently poking it with my point finger.

It doesn’t seem to hurt as she didn’t had any reaction. “What happened to this?”

She confusedly looked into her arm, unaware of what I’m referring to. She bit her lip before returning her eyes on me. “I don’t know… I didn’t notice. I didn’t feel anything.” She slowly swayed her arm with the help of her right hand as she continued to speak. “But, I actually… don’t feel anything here. It feels numb. What do you think is this unnie?”

“You didn’t ask anyone? The doctor or someone? Nurse?”

She shook her head. “I didn’t really mind it, I thought I was just tired so I slept it off. But… looks like it’s still here.” She answered, using her working arm to reach for a bottle of water from the side table.

I don’t know. But I had this strange feeling suddenly creeping up on me. I stared down at the familiar bottle as she gulped its contents, something is wrong here, I just don’t know what it is exactly.

“You know, the doctor said earlier you were paralyzed but somehow you have a different issue. It’s weird because he couldn’t explain what you had. But, does people who got paralyzed usually heals this fast?” 

 

What?

 

“When I first saw you, you had bruises too, but it disappeared after a couple of hours. The doctor thought you’re gonna die!”

 

 That. That exactly what I needed to hear before it hits me. Immediately, I snatched the bottle from her and read its name. “You… Where did you get this?”

“I… got it from your bag? It tastes weird, but I was thirsty. Are you thirsty unnie? Should I get you wa-“

“. .” My heart started to race and tears threatening to fall. I tried shaking my sister but I’m not receiving any responses from her at all.

“Unnie… I feel weird.” She said weakly.

“No… Please…”

In a few seconds, she fell from her seat and passed out.

“Rika! Rika! Nurse! Nurse!” I tried screaming her name but it was too late. The nurse quickly entered and checked her pulse, fortunately, she’s still breathing but is currently immobilized.

 

Why? She was just a kid….. Why do you have to be so cruel? What did I ever do to you?

 

Myoui Mina.

 

To be continued

 

--------

a/n: putting this here bc it's longer than 300 characters. 

idek if people still read this, but i genuinely don't really want to ditch any of my stories despite being busy. so i guess i'm just gonna write for myself until it's done.
i feel like this going to be long bc every ideas i had for this one just came back.
I'M SORRY.
i accept criticism or any kind of comments.
thank you.