Impressions

A Sea of Stars

The LCW Renaissance Library was a haven exclusively made for the literati noblesse. Found at the end of the Renaissance Deck, the 3-story atrium was supplied by an ample collection of books, and per the motif, it honours the Renaissance villa decorum of mathematical grandeur, beauty, and elegance. The walls were all adorned with marble columns and colourful fresco paintings of perfect men and women and angels, all appearing as if suspended in a wonderful dance. Marvelous statues were placed where light and space flattered them most, and even the furniture were all made of quality wood; many of which, such as the bookcases, had been inlayed with a variety of precious elements and engraved with fascinating designs. One side of the room was completely glass as massive picture windows stretched from the floor to the ceiling, thus allowing for a perfect view of the horizon outside. At the very heart of the atrium was a large, immovable chest garnished with painted and gilded gesso whose panels depicted scenes of the ancient Greek myth of Penelope and Ulysses.

 

The library was also the place where Lee Taeyong loved to frequent... as Yuta has come to learn. So engulfed by his book that the young heir lost every awareness of his environment and not once did looked up to see Yuta sitting only a couple of tables away. Yuta debated whether it was good or not for the boy to be so engrossed as it may make him vulnerable. Then Taeyong tucked a strand of hair behind his left ear with his right hand, and Yuta had to look away for a moment. For now, his target’s distraction was certainly to Yuta’s advantage.

 

His initial plan of approach was more carefully thought out. Yuta was supposed to watch Taeyong for a while before introducing himself. He would have shared ideas, made him laugh, and then started a conversation about topics that are important to Taeyong. Dreams. Concerns. Art. It was called the Fast Friends Protocol and Yuta was confident he would have Taeyong in his palms after 3 days.

 

But then Yuta said something stupid.

 

“You’re still playing?”

 

Yuta wanted to clamp his head between an encyclopedia. Those were his true thoughts. He broke character. He hasn’t done that for years, and the last time Yuta blurted something by accident during a mission was when he was 11, sleep-deprived, and held at gunpoint. He peeked at his wristwatch and saw that was already noon. If he had stuck to his original plan, he would have run into Taeyong right there, behind those stacks of books.

 

Just remembering his real first encounter with Taeyong made his face feel hot. Elite charisma and attractiveness, a dazzling impeccable reputation, faculty and potential excellently blessed; young master Lee was in a league far beyond any of Yuta’s previous assignments. Seeing the individual behind all the hype and rumour up close was both intimidating and awe-inspiring. It was like a hero from a fantasy novel come to life. But then Yuta made a comment and for a moment, the expression on Taeyong had changed.

 

He looked worried and maybe even offended. Nothing on file ever warned Yuta about that; how careful Yuta had to be. All the job ever notified him about was that the target this time was a rich, quintessential protégé but in truth, he was more… unexpected. The moment he began to play, Taeyong’s eyes lost focus. Yuta thought there was something off in the way Taeyong would stare blankly at the keys, or the way his posture would stiffen like he was holding his breath the entire time. Yuta was trained to notice details like that – cracks in a person’s mask. It was only a hunch but he wondered if the kid genuinely wanted to be there. Then he really blurted it out so now he had to rework his approach. Oops.

 

Yuta glanced over at Taeyong again. The young man’s countenance had fully changed since that morning. Without his family’s badgering he appeared calm and relaxed, pleasantly enjoying a book without care for anything else. As it should be.

 

Then the two made eye contact.

 

“Hello,” Taeyong quietly greeted.

 

“Hi,” Yuta replied.

 

There was a pause.

 

“Um,” Taeyong continued, “You’re from this morning, right?” Yuta immediately regained his composure, tilted his head and smiled amicably.

 

“Yeah. I’m the doofus that ruined your concentration,” he chuckled. “Sorry about that.” Taeyong shook his head.

 

“No. It’s okay. I was just surprised.”

 

“Me too. I mean that was Scriabin, right? Not many people would think to play him impromptu. Even I think he’s insane,” Yuta praised. “You were great though and to be honest it was kind of mind-blowing.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Another pause. Yuta saw that Taeyong began to shift awkwardly and assumed that it was his cue to leave. Just as he was preparing to get up, Taeyong asked,

 

“Do you play too?”

 

Yuta was taken aback a bit. Was Lee Taeyong really making the first move?

 

“Yeah, but I’m more of a saxophone kind of guy.” Yuta casually walked over to the other table and sat himself directly across his target. He took a shot. “Hey, I’m Yuuma,” he said, putting on his most amiable smile and presenting his hand in front of him. Taeyong was slightly surprised by the sudden gesture but took his new acquaintance’s hand anyway.

 

“I’m Taeyong,” he responded. And he finally smiled and it was just as beautiful as Yuta thought it would be. Enclosed in a magnificent room, flooded by art and literature, caught up in a charming conversation; Yuta almost forgot his true purpose. He almost wanted to use his real name. Maybe dealing with Lee Taeyong really was as dangerous as being held at gunpoint.