Three

If You Never Let Me

NOTE:

"THIS FONT" - CHINESE

"THIS FONT" - ENGLISH

"THIS FONT" - KOREAN

 

CHAPTER THREE

 

Everybody knows how Jackson had that ability to make people laugh, that was why he is a sought out guest to any variety show. Once he smiles at the camera and just be himself, people would crack up. He doesn't need to try hard, really. It just came to him naturally. Whether he gets up to randomlly do a flip to amuse the crowd, or show off his biceps or how he would do anything to get praised like a kid, it doesn't matter; people just automatically loved him.

 

But at first he was worried. He is aware that his nature to just be loud and talkative could be bothersome to other people. It actually became an issue for him and his roommate, Mark, during their training days. Whenever Jackson would start conversation and just get a one-word reply from the other, it bothered him. Jackson was the type of person who needed costant reassurance; he knew that, himself. If he gives off affection, he wanted to be shoered with even just a little bit too. Whe he pays attention to someone, he wanteed some of that from the same person too. If he doesn't get it, he would think whatever he is giving isn't reciprocated in a positive light; he would feel like a nuisance.

 

So when he started feeling that he was bothering Mark, he started putting some distance. He started to give Mark peace and quiet every night in their room, always just plugging in his earphones to listen to music or watch youtibe videos when Mark was fiddling with his own phone or laptop on his bed. He would just ask Mark if he should switch off the lights then go to sleep. At practice, he would stir off Mark and head towards Bambam and Yugyeom to chat with them, or hangout with Paul before their teacher arrives. During their korean class sessions, Jackson would make sure to place Bambam between them so when he gets restless from sitting still, it wuld be Bambam that he'd annoy.

 

It went on for about two weeks.

 

Until one night, Mark said, "Did I do something wrong?"

 

Jackson was just about turn off the lights when he stopped and turned to look at the other, "What?"

 

Mark, who was lying on his back and staring at the ceiling for a few minutes now, sat up and looked back at his friend. "Did I do something?" He asked again in that unsure tone of his before letting his gaze drop on his lap. "I don't know what I did, but I'm sorry."

 

Confused, Jackson tilted his head to the right. "what are you apologizing for? You did nothing wrong. What made you feel that way?"

 

"You've been avoiding me."

 

And those words hit Jackson as he saw how Mark was struggling to explain. "I know I haven't been the best roommate or maybe it's because I am too boring for you...I don't know, I'm sorry."

 

Jackson flipped the switch of the light and they were enveloped with darkness. Mark was preparing to wallow on misery when he felt their bunk bed move and Jackson muttered, "scoot over" before he was wrapped in his friend's arms. Mark let himself be held, because if he was being honest, he really missed Jackson.

 

"It's not because you're boring, Mark. You did nothing wrong. It's all me," Jackson whispered.

 

"Are you rephrasing that 'it's not you, it's me' line?" Mark chortled.

 

"Hey, let me talk," Jackson whined and even though Mark can't see, he was sure the other was pouting. "It's true that I was avoiding you. But that's because...I was worried that I'm bothering you too much. I know I can be a handful with my personality, and you're stuck to being my roommate and I just...I didn't want to be a nuisance to you."

 

There was a few seconds of silence before Mark turned to his side to face his friend, wrapping both of his arms around the other. "You're never a nuisance, Wang Jackson. Especially not to me. I am a quiet person, yes, but I like how you just talk away the silence when you're around me. I like how your voice sounds when you tell me random stories, and I answer you shortly because I want to hear more. Never think that way. Your personality is so bright that you light up a room just by being in it, and i love being around to witness you shine," he ended, letting his forehead rest on Jackson's.

 

"Thank you," Jackson breathed, basking from the peaceful silence that followed, arms around each other. "And for the record, you are the best roommate. No one could make me silent, but after meeting with you and being around you, I figured silence is actually nice. Especially when I'm around you. It's oddly comforting."

 

"Well, I am glad my silence could be of service," Mark joked. And after that they were back to being clingy to each other, if not more.

 

It was also the day Jackson realized he was developing sort of a crush.

 

*

 

Jackson was known to be alot of things; he has always been transparent to the people around him, almost wanting to be completely honest with his fans, and that was why people absolutely loved him. Because he's real. He's never reluctant to show if he's hurt, if he's offended. His face tells it all.

 

He wears his heart on his sleeve.

 

Or so they think.

 

Because one thing Jackson was good at, if not best, is hiding; pretending he is okay.

 

Wang Jackson hated worrying his parents about his life in Korea, so even if sometimes, when he is offended from one of the MC's because they were taunting his korean or some comment that sting, he would laugh it off on camera; then at night he'd curl on the bed, trying to sooth his aching heart because he wanted to see his parents. But he held it in. He also loathed slowing the team down. So at days when his body is sore from too much practice, he hides the pain; or when he twists his ankle from doing their martial arts tricking, he would never voice it out and after practice or broadcast, he'd quietly get an ice pack and lock himself in a bathroom stall to treat his ankle; or when he is so sick, he'd swallow two painkillers and trained his mind that he is okay, it was all mind over matter.

 

And ofcourse, if Jackson could do all that, he could absolutely hide the fact that he is in love with his best friend.

 

*

 

"Have you ever wondered...how it will be like to kiss a guy?"

 

Jackson tensed, before realeasing a shaky chuckle, "What kind of question is that? Are you sick?"

 

But Mark just shrugged, before turning his body to face his roommate who was putting on a shirt."Nah, I was just thinking bout it today..."

 

"Okay," the other replied dismissively, praying that this conversation would end. He had his back on Mark, trying to think of what to do to keep himself busy so as he does not need to look at the other. What the hell brought this on?

 

"Hey, Jacks?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"Can I kiss you?"

 

Jackson turned so fast he almost stumbled before directing his shocked face to his best friend. "Wha---Mark, what the hell?"

 

The other stood up from the floor and slowly made his way towards the younger. Jackson automatically took one step back, matching Mark's forward steps. That was until his back touched the closet and he looked at the door, ready to bolt but before he had the chance, an arm appeared at the side of his face, blocking his path. Jackson looked at his friend, eyes wide and confused beacuse how the did Mark get this close? Their nose were almost touching and he could feel his roommate's breathe ghosting his cheeks.

 

"Stop. Mark," he whispered, not able to control the thundering of his chest.

 

"What are you so afraid of, Jacks?" Mark asked, his voice much more low than his normal tone. "I'm just asking for a kiss. You kiss my cheeks sometimes."

 

"That's different," the Hongkong native tried to argue, the pink in his cheeks intensifying.

 

"How so? Because it's for the fans? Even off cam, you do it. What difference does a kiss on the lips mean?"

 

"It would make a huge difference...Mark."

 

"Why?"

 

"Just...just because."

 

"One kiss. Just one, Wang Jia Er."

 

Jackson released a breath, heart thumping much more from hearing Mark say his chinese name. So he submitted and closed his eyes, waiting for Mark to lean in...and lean in he did. The first touch of lips was hesitant, almost as if Mark was waiting for the other to push him away. But Jackson held still, and then he tilted his head to the side to get a better angle of Mark's lips and he let his emotions control him. He left his hand coming up, resting on Mark's shoulder before he carded his fingers on Mark's slightly damp hair, then he gently tugged.

 

Mark let out a small moan, and Jackson became bolder.

 

He opened his mouth and let his tongue swipeat Mark's bottom lip, asking for entrance, and he immediately did. Not sooner, their tongues are battling for dominance, but Jackson was just happy to submit so he let Mark's tongue swirl his, running it at the roof of his mouth, at the back of his teeth, then Mark Jackson's tongue that made Jackson groan in lust.

 

Their lips parted with a soft pop, then they looked at each other's eyes, both noting how they other's were dilated with lust. Mark was staring at Jackson, then the other bit his lower lip that had Mark leaning in again to start another raw kiss.

 

And Jackson let him.

 

*

 

If Jackson was good, if not best, at hiding; especially if it is about his feelings for his bestfriend.

 

But this time, if only for a moment, he'll refrain from hiding.

 

Because even if he knows there's too much at risk; even if he knows he is putting his heart on the line for allowing this, he can't stop.

 

Because this sudden progress, this kiss, ignited something in him that he never considered before...

 

Hope.